Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Global Supplies - What will be in short supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Supplies - What will be in short supply
    Posted: August 10 2007 at 2:29pm
When this thing hits - it  will  surely hit harder in poorer countries.  With higher death rates etc what do you think will be in short supply for a while.
Here in the UK things will be worst for 2 months then recover slowly but what about all the commodities that are obtained overseas then shipped/flown over?
I assume that the US will face something similar.

I had thought of those products that are grown overseas:
Tea
Coffee
Rice
Bananas
Sugar?

What about oil - if the a company of rig workers all get it, production will stop - What about a ships company if they all get it and a supertanker fails to arrive?  Multiply this up...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 5:54pm
The UK will be a virtual death zone in the event of a major pandemic. There's not exactly anywhere you can hide out on an island that's got a high population density as it stands.

Here in the US, we can actually get some social distance. There, you've got to deal with the fact that everyone will try to get out of the major cities, just like here, but you just can't get the necessary social distance to even make a quarantine possible.

You Britons will have far larger problems on your hands than worrying about getting your morning tea or food.
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 7:06am
So who's not stocking up on their hot morning drink? Coffee is a staple around here!

I keep trying to remember the conversations with my grandmother about what was so heavily rationed during WWII. All of the things mentioned above were on her list. Gasoline wasn't nearly as big of an issue for the civilian. Now it would just shut everything down.

I also think you have to look at your local areas. Here in California we have a lot of dairys. That means they'll still be able to ship in a localized area so milk won't be a problem. However, there are a few large metrolpolitan areas that the drivers aren't going to want to deliver to or drive through. That may localize things even more so.

I had a dream last night that we moved into a new house to discover our next door neighbor had huge tanks outside his barn where he was brewing beer. I guess you can tell what other beverage of choice has been mentioned around here. Since I have yet to figure out how to brew beer at home, I don't know what to stock up on.

There are a lot of things that can be made from the very basics of milk and eggs and flour. I think if we have been able to stock up for about three months of everything, then you can really look at going heavy on the basics. You might get sick of biscuits, but they are filling.

As far as a list of things that will be on shorthand, most likely fresh fruits and veggies will be non-existent. Unless of course they are grown right in your area. Since it's going to take a lot more time to get things delivered, you can plan on perishables being at the bottom of the get-it-moving category.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 3:38am
   Everything would be in short supply, Not only overseas made products. Transportation will be disrupted so nothing will move. there would be looting and blackmarketing on all items. Money will be in short supply as people line up to with draw cash.

I would think medical supplies, Kotex, Condoms,masks and gloves, Food and water would no longer be no longer on the shelves. As prices rise and money runs low. The only thing not in short supply will be desparate people.

If you plan to survive , you'd better have all your needs in hand and a way to protect them and yourselves from the people who have not. Sad to say desparate times will need extreme measures and great resourcefulness. Let's hope you have no shortage of that. CH
cgh
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 10:47am
well put CH, and welcome to the forum ...

Many places depend on transportation of their goods ... here in AZ, I've noted that everything is shipped throughout the state, and has it's humble beginnings down here in the valley ~ Phoenix metro area.  If someplace like Flagstaff, Winslow, Showlow or even Payson is out of goods, you would most likely get an answer that it's coming in from Phoenix in a couple of days.  And you pass those trucks on a daily basis bringing their good to Northern Arizona.

So, yes ... stock up on your needs if you do live away from large cities.  Better yet, no matter where you live ... start a small garden of your own ... tomatoes, herbs, zucchini and such are good for container gardening ... there are dwarf fruit trees available that you can put on your porch or patio, and bring in during the coldest or hottest parts of the year if you put them on wheels.  Grocery prices are getting outragerous now ... $4.00 + for a gallon of milk, $4 for a loaf of bread ... it makes more sense making your own bread for pennies a loaf and save that $3.50 for the milk. 

I would miss coffee and rice, plus going to the import stores as well.  Stay well and take care, and keep on preppin"!
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 8:18pm
   Thanks for that, I hope there will be no shortages, but as evident by Katrina, I plan for the worst and it doesn't take all the money in the world to do.. With food prices rising my cupboard supplies actually are saving me money and have become a great investment yeilding approx 10% and saving me from running out and making a special trip. Some of the canned goods have 2010 expiration code, It will be fun to see what they sell for then. If I don't use them by the code date, I donate the food to a local Mission. They really appreciate it and that just puts frosting on the cake. Waste not want not. Big cans of coffee sell ay Walmart for 6.00$ , Java for a couple of months for the price of a few Starbucks brews. Thanks again , I had a tuff day and needed a friendly reply! It frosted my cake just right! Carl H.
cgh
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 7:00am
cgh, I also think you are correct in your assessment. Several years ago we lived in a suburb of Atlanta, while we were living there a hurricane had hit Florida and came up through our area as a tropical storm. We lost electricity for 3 days (only 3 days mind you, not a huge amount of time). During that time no deliveries could be made to the grocery stores, shelves emptied quick of bread, peanut butter and anything else that could be eaten without being cooked or refrigerated. The store shelves were bare (this is after 3 only days and no deliveries). The store employees were using calculators to add up  items since the electricity wasn't on. It was very creepy going into a store with no lights also. Anyway items were quickly gone. I think it will be much worse when the pandemic flu hits because I think things will be interupted for a longer time period, deliveries will be sporadic if there are any at all. I have planned on a year of some supplies and less for other items. Which I haven't done any major shopping trips in ahwile and I need to restock a few things, because like you with the grocery store prices rising I have been dipping into my stash and there are some things I need to replace. Thanks for the reminder.
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 9:15pm
 Some things are already in short supply at our Super Walmart.  I have noticed it for several months now.  They are always out of stock on some very basic items.  Today a clerk told me a lot of managers came to the store to try and get a handle on the problem.  One problem seems to be the trucks are not running properly for what ever reason.  What would happen if they stop running for a while?
Mississipi Mama
Kilt View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 9:59pm
anything that is labor intensive and that is especially food

if truck drivers get it - very little will get transported and everything needs transportation

forklift drivers are the same

any fresh food will go in weeks

it will be hell.
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 8:23am
       Good replies! One other thought is the drivers and warehouse personnel don't have to get avian flu, they will have to stay home to protect their own and can you imagine how dangerous it would be to try to get into work at a food warehouse or drive a truck loaded with food and supplies through cities and highways lined with looters and hungry people.

I for one wouldn't consider it. What would they be forced to do?? Drive over people? Leave the truck and run? Where would they get fuel from on a long haul? How long would the warehouses have goods anyways?   cgh
cgh
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 8:42am
food & medical supplies
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
dennis2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 1:25pm
JUst my humble opinion-
   The bottom line is that you don't need coffee or tea to survive. We need to think differently- Think protein, starch,.....something to cook with, prehaps some solar lighting, water, water treatment and pumping....

IF it really happens, having a can of coffee will be meaningless. Tiy wukk be need to have prepared for water and some cooking fuel even if you could get a can. Having a can of SPAM, a sack of rice and good water will be survival.

Forget the coffee cans and stock some Oral Rehydration Therapy materials and chlorine bleach, forget the bananas with a one week shelf life and stock powdered eggs with a shelf life of 10 years.

My guess is that there will be rotating blackouts that last longer and longer as there are fewer utility workers to repair things and fewer and fewer shipments of fuels. A few cans of gasoline and a generator is OK but after a month or even a week or so you will prefer a small solar LED light.

So "what will be in short supply" -
food, medicine, electrical power, clean water, and a distribution systems.
after all is said and done- more is said than done
dennis2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 1:40pm
OH yes,   cgh18 I agree

Not many trucks will be making "long hauls".
Sorry to say- it would not take but a few bullets from looters (notice I am NOT advocating such things- just saying they are likely to happen) to stop a truck. To many starving little towns to go through to think that a truck of food would not be "stopped" to feed the "locals". It just takes one policeman with a starving child to turn the other way as a town "unloads" a truck in the middle of the night.

I doubt that many trucks will make it cross country to the larger cities.
Do you think that a port city with no food wouldn't demand at least some, if not all, of the supplies as it goes through its ports? Would a small town allow its citizens to starve to death while trucks of fresh food roll though its streets?

It will not be nice. Again I am not saying such things should be, only that they may very well happen.
after all is said and done- more is said than done
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by dennis2 dennis2 wrote:

OH yes,   cgh18 I agree

Not many trucks will be making "long hauls".
Sorry to say- it would not take but a few bullets from looters (notice I am NOT advocating such things- just saying they are likely to happen) to stop a truck. To many starving little towns to go through to think that a truck of food would not be "stopped" to feed the "locals". It just takes one policeman with a starving child to turn the other way as a town "unloads" a truck in the middle of the night.

I doubt that many trucks will make it cross country to the larger cities.
Do you think that a port city with no food wouldn't demand at least some, if not all, of the supplies as it goes through its ports? Would a small town allow its citizens to starve to death while trucks of fresh food roll though its streets?

It will not be nice. Again I am not saying such things should be, only that they may very well happen.

The smart thing to consider is this - I'm a CNA and I have been following the bird flu for quite some time now. I advise you to shop for medical supplies differently, because even expensive med kits carry only one pair of gloves. Once the analgesics, gloves and primary supplies are gone, you are left with a bandaid case. A box of 100 gloves costs 5 bucks. Hydrogen peroxide is only a dollar. A large box of medicated bandaids costs about 5 dollars. Similarly most medical supplies cost less and you get twenty times more supplies for the same if you buy separately.

On payday, I'm going to the store and I'm going to examine the pull dates on nutrigrain bars. They're slightly edible compared to most energy bars and represent a ration. Don't need to be cooked either.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 4:10pm
   john,,,,i appreciate your opinion on what WOULD be a good medical kit. i know you have said a few things to have on hand. can you name some more?

thanks so much!
SouthTexas View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 7:38pm
dennis2, 

Thanks for the wake-up call --- I've been getting kinda complacent...
The Lord be magnified.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:34am
Originally posted by mom24kids mom24kids wrote:

john,,,,i appreciate your opinion on what WOULD be a good medical kit. i know you have said a few things to have on hand. can you name some more?

thanks so much!

Sure thing. Neosporin is good to prevent infection. Masks however only provide partial protection. Buy alcohol pads (the preps your nurse uses to disinfect you before you get a shot or blood draw). The preps you can get 100 sometimes for only 2 to 3 bucks. A med kit will have maybe 4-10 preps, so you need to buy a regular box. Supply yourself with analgesics (if you're not familiar with this terms, they're painkillers, such as aspirin, tylenol, etc, good headache medicine) - however, the meds have a shelf life and should be replaced at least once a year. Get cough/flu medication, it's not a cure but can alleviate some of your misery. This also has to be replaced often. Get some lysol spray, use it for doorknobs. Purell is an alochol based hand wash, it will kill most of the h5n1 virus on your hands. Purell is not an alternative to normal handwashing. Smart thing to do is next time you go to bartells go thru the first aid section and see things I might have missed here.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 11:36am
    Also I want you to get a couple of boxes of ziploc baggies, the gallon size. It will keep your supplies organized and you can label them (I haven't yet done so) for easy retrieval. If you do get the med kit, remove the plastic wrap so you won't have to fight for it in a real emergency, esp where someone is bleeding heavily. You need to get pressure on that wound instantly
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 4:55pm
    Remember the Katrina disaster. You need food and supplies as well as medical supplies. I have a duffel bag that was given to my for xmas by my friends since they knew I was going back to school. Now that I'm done, I put all the medical equipment I got from the class (things like a blood pressure cuff, thermometer, stethoscope), I have dog food in there, water, some food. I put all the new supplies in there like gloves (100 for 5 bucks or so), analgesic I already had, a cheap medical kit, alcohol preps, hydrogen peroxide. later I'm getting isoprophyl alcohol, the 99% kind, more medicated bandaids, lots of the large bandaids for severe cuts, all sorts of things.

If it floods where you live DO NOT DRINK THE FLOOD WATER, it causes malaria from the feces rising up from the sewer.

There are two types of emergencies to deal with - the kind where you're forced from your home (earthquake and fire) and the kind where you can stay in your home (epidemic, bird flu, things like that). Stash your house full of nonprepared food like peanut butter and tuna, and maintain a duffel bag(which holds more than a backpack) with the things you'll need. Buy now, cuz New Orleans stores were empty within hours.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 8:21pm
Drinking the water isn't going to cause Malaria. It will however, probably give you a very nasty case of Dysentery. You might end up with poisioning from the loads of nasty stuff that is around in city streets.

Malaria's got to go through a vector before it can infect people. In most cases mosquitoes. Feces would cause tapeworms, liver flukes, roundworms, Hepatitis etc.

You are right that you shouldn't be drinking flood water though. Even if you boil it, there's still chemicals that will very well kill you if you drank it.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Drinking the water isn't going to cause Malaria. It will however, probably give you a very nasty case of Dysentery. You might end up with poisioning from the loads of nasty stuff that is around in city streets.

Malaria's got to go through a vector before it can infect people. In most cases mosquitoes. Feces would cause tapeworms, liver flukes, roundworms, Hepatitis etc.

You are right that you shouldn't be drinking flood water though. Even if you boil it, there's still chemicals that will very well kill you if you drank it.

You're right, it wasn't malaria or yellow fever. All we know is that the contaminated water is poisonous.
Boondocker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 10:21am

When this thing hits - it  will  surely hit harder in poorer countries.  With higher death rates etc what do you think will be in short supply for a while.

Cool calm collected common sense and rationale
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Boondocker Boondocker wrote:

<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =msgableRow vAlign=top></TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider style="HEIGHT: 150px" vAlign=top><!-- Start Member Post -->
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">

Cool calm collected common sense and rationale
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Even if you're in an area with few survivors, remember that the stores in Katrina were emptied within hours. In an apocalyptic scenario, you'll find food at the store, in people's homes, and abandoned restuarants. Hopefully the power will stay on. I worked at a mcdonalds once and they serve hundreds of customers daily and delieries were about twice to three times per week. Frozen hamburgers in the back of a mcd could feed you for months if you have power
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 7:33pm
Alcohol prep pads don't hold much alcohol - they're really only for prepping injection sites. Better to buy bottles of rubbing alcohol and a couple of bags of cotton balls. I'd recommend lots of peroxide and iodine solution while you can still get it. Also if you have an asthmatic in the family get extra inhalers. Primatene mist is an excellent rescue inhaler but not available at the moment in most stores as the EPA objected to the minute amount of CFCs used as propellant (great timing guys...). You can find them on eBay however.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 7:56pm
    Isoprophyl alcohol, the 99% kind, is what you're looking for
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 8:54pm
You're right - the stronger the better, but less will still work (there is some evidence to suggest an alcohol/water mix is more penetrating). Packaged wipes are often 70% ethyl alcohol, and Purell hand sanitizer is only 62%. And you really shouldn't use it to clean wounds - it causes tissue damage and hurts like a b*&ch. Sterile saline, or even a simple homemade salt solution works well, although I prefer peroxide personally. I admit it's probably just the bubbling thing - I'm easily amused.
While we're on the medical supply subject, has anybody here explored the topic of potato starch being used as an emergency clotting agent for wounds? I've heard instant potato flakes work just as well if they're crumbled into a powder.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 11:16am
    If you choose not to use alcohol on wounds try hydrogen peroxide. I had an infected ingrown toenail once and once I had finally got the fragment of nail (and dead tissue) the hydrogen boiled away the blood and pus and was painless.
Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2007 at 4:52pm
    I think the things in short supply, drugs, vitamins, cigarettes, lighters, batteries, gas grills, can meat and fish, canned fruits, can soup, cereal, powdered milk, coffee/tea/sugar/spices, deep freezers, wood/coal burning stoves, toilet paper, towels, fem hygene, razors, power tools with chargers, cell phones, walkie talkies, face masks, duct tape, matches, gasoline, oil, cleaners, mops, brooms, solar anything, security alarms, cough meds and all meds, beer and hard licquors, fresh water kits, water testing kits, bleach,
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 10:03am
Once we feel comfortable with supplies on hand it would be good to stock a "barter" item.  My barter item is two cases of  wine bought at Trader Joe.  It's called "Three buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw).  Fact is, it could help if intruders come knocking to passify their hostility while you plan the next step. It's a good wine if you have a bad day too.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 10:45am
My trading wampum is crappy guns and low quality ammunition. Even now ammunition prices are skyrocketing to unbelievable levels, and after any kind of disaster ammunition prices go up dramatically. (I remember how you couldn't even buy a assault rifle during the LA riots and after 9/11 rifles and ammo prices shot up 20%!)

In the event of a major crisis those weapons and ammo, even though of lower quality, will be worth their weight in platinum!
digital View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by PATB PATB wrote:

Once we feel comfortable with supplies on hand it would be good to stock a "barter" item.  My barter item is two cases of  wine bought at Trader Joe.  It's called "Three buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw).  Fact is, it could help if intruders come knocking to passify their hostility while you plan the next step. It's a good wine if you have a bad day too.

PATB
If you think that offering a few bottles of wine of dubious quality is going to save you from people who are prepared to invade your home then you seriously need to rethink your whole strategy.

Go back and read reports of looting and civil unrest after Katrina and the L.A. riots and you will see that offering a few bottles of wine is ludicrous.

Your right that you may be able to trade them with needy people but only if they are passive and respectful. If they are starving or sick then they are most likely will be hostile or aggressive, then the only thing they will respect is appropiate force from you.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by digital digital wrote:

Originally posted by PATB PATB wrote:

PATB
If you think that offering a few bottles of wine of dubious quality is going to save you from people who are prepared to invade your home then you seriously need to rethink your whole strategy.

Go back and read reports of looting and civil unrest after Katrina and the L.A. riots and you will see that offering a few bottles of wine is ludicrous.

Your right that you may be able to trade them with needy people but only if they are passive and respectful. If they are starving or sick then they are most likely will be hostile or aggressive, then the only thing they will respect is appropiate force from you.

I think you're right. You can't expect desperate people to take some booze, they want your water, your food, your woman and your children. Barter is a good idea though in and of itself, as long as it's with peaceful people.

Get a gun, kill first and ask questions later. Who knows, you might find a hot chick, get laid and pass on your family name.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 9:49pm
Your desperate alcoholics and addicts will want booze or whatever else they can get their hands on to get high. Not sure I would be bartering with them in the first place.  I hope to not be doing too much bartering, but I do have extra shampoos, soaps and some items that I have purchased or been given that we could give or trade away like some Spam and canned ham. I have friends that own cattle ranches and several others that grow fresh veggies that I would barter with if I had to, but I prefer to have my items purchased ahead of time if possible.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Your desperate alcoholics and addicts will want booze or whatever else they can get their hands on to get high. Not sure I would be bartering with them in the first place.  I hope to not be doing too much bartering, but I do have extra shampoos, soaps and some items that I have purchased or been given that we could give or trade away like some Spam and canned ham. I have friends that own cattle ranches and several others that grow fresh veggies that I would barter with if I had to, but I prefer to have my items purchased ahead of time if possible.

You are wise to prepare this way. But I think I'm going to make plans to leave my apartment within a few weeks, maybe three weeks. I at least need to go and see if the grocery stores are locked up and what kind of resources are left. I should reasonably go to the store after maybe a couple days i no longer hear anything. Plus I have a dog and she has to go outside to go to the bathroom. Also, medicare won't give me more than 2 weeks supply of meds at a time, so I'll be forced to the pharmacy. I think I'll be able to break into the pharmacy that serves me.
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 6:07am
I'd say get real,  your dog will get you in contact with other people  in the same fix.  Have you ever been in a blizzard, the shelfs in teh store are empty and stay that way.  Breaking into a pharmacy 2 weeks into a pandamic, that's a laugh, the door will be wide open and the store will be cleaned out.  If you are on meds, figure out how to get off, check into books that tell you how to manage your blood pressure or sugar level naturally.  I realize not everything can be controlled by diet, but a lot of stuff can be.  Wake up, you'll be totally on your own, the phone in the dr's office won't even ring and if it does, no one will be there to answer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 8:12am
Quote You are wise to prepare this way. But I think I'm going to make plans to leave my apartment within a few weeks, maybe three weeks. I at least need to go and see if the grocery stores are locked up and what kind of resources are left. I should reasonably go to the store after maybe a couple days i no longer hear anything. Plus I have a dog and she has to go outside to go to the bathroom. Also, medicare won't give me more than 2 weeks supply of meds at a time, so I'll be forced to the pharmacy. I think I'll be able to break into the pharmacy that serves me.

I have to agree with 4=laro here John. The pharmacy will be destroyed and looted within minutes of the government/media coming out and saying that the poop is about to hit the spinning air displacement unit.

I live and work in a very low income area. Drug addicts and dealers walk the streets day and night looking for new ways to get their next fix. They'll break into your car for pennies if they see them, and will kill you over a $20. In the event that their next fix isn't coming anytime soon they'll head straight to the drugstore pharmacies, tear the bars off, and take whatever they can get their hands on. Hell, they regularly try to break in to the neighborhood Walgreens to get whatever they've got in there. I got called out on one where a guy took a pickaxe and tried to burrow through the roof to get at the drugs inside.

I think your biggest problem, John, is that you live in an apartment. Is it a house apartment, or is it a people-hive apartment? People-hives are crappy to live in even now, I can't imagine living in one during a major catastrophe!

Is your prescription a painkiller, like an addictive one (Codiene, Oxycontin, etc) or are you a diabetic? These are two types of medications that commonly only are doled out in two week supplies. If it is a painkiller, particularly Oxy, are you currently addicted to it? Withdrawals to Oxy are a real biatch, and it would be something that you'd have to deal with if you sufer chronic pain and are addicted to a painkiller.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 8:54am
    I won't share the meds I'm on I really prefer to keep my medical history private. I won't die if I go off of them, but they're also given to me at night for the sedative effect. I used to sleep all day and be awake all night and it wasn't working for me. Now I wake up in the morning and have all day. If I don't have the meds, I won't sleep. So that's the only reason to get the meds. I'm going to examine the resources of the stores anyway. Besides, the world could die quietly, the govt is controlling the information. 90% might just get sick, go to bed for some comfort and die there. The way things are going there should be at least some resources at the stores.
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 10:13am
john...Have you tried Valerian? It's a natural herb that works on just about everyone to help them sleep. If you don't like it as a tea, you can buy the concentrated drops. You might try it now (check with your doctor before mixing the two sleep aids) and get some to have on hand. Much easier to stock up on, especially the liquid.

I tend to lean more toward the slow and quiet scenerio. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Depending on how bad things are, I'm afraid more people will have the virus before they even know about it. Just like what is happening in Australia right now, but more deadly and everywhere at the same time. In other words, people might be too sick to panic.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by ParanoidMom ParanoidMom wrote:

john...Have you tried Valerian? It's a natural herb that works on just about everyone to help them sleep. If you don't like it as a tea, you can buy the concentrated drops. You might try it now (check with your doctor before mixing the two sleep aids) and get some to have on hand. Much easier to stock up on, especially the liquid.

I tend to lean more toward the slow and quiet scenerio. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. Depending on how bad things are, I'm afraid more people will have the virus before they even know about it. Just like what is happening in Australia right now, but more deadly and everywhere at the same time. In other words, people might be too sick to panic.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not into home and herbal remedies.

For those with children, don't let them play even in the back yard cuz infected birds could get them.

I plan to leave by the end of the week to check out the stores and what I'll have to do in order to get more supplies. I'm just hoping that the power doors will open and it's not locked down. I'd need a sledgehammer to break that plate glass. I know boondocker thinks I'm a snake in the grass, but we all know what it's going to take to survive. Abandoned homes or homes of the dead are a resource to take into consideration.
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2007 at 9:46am
    To the one who says that Walmart is out of things, do you have an Aldi's grocery store there? If not, I do believe they are online as well. I've found everything needed between the 2 stores. Aldi's may not carry "Green Giant" brand ect..but you wont starve or go broke! In fact, Aldi's is actualy cheaper than wallyworld!
Sha Ren Ka
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic