Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Pandemic Levels -what changes between levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pandemic Levels -what changes between levels
    Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:42am
What changes, as far as the government is concerned, with each incrrease in the Pandemic level? Travel restriction, forced school or business closures, etc?

Is there a chart or site that lists the differences?
captaindigness View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:50am
yes my friend there is it is 4 step proces right now it is on 2 which means difficult to spread to human however they r containing matters with bls-3 which is bio safety level 3 more info on cdc website
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:53am
levels are as follows
Level 1 -- This level applies to agents that do not ordinarily cause human disease.
Level 2 -- This level is appropriate for agents that can cause human disease, but whose potential for transmission is limited.
Level 3 -- This level applies to agents that may be transmitted by the respiratory route which can cause serious infection.
Level 4 -- This level is used for the diagnosis of exotic agents that pose a high risk of life-threatening disease, which may be transmitted by the aerosol route and for which there is no vaccine or therapy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:53am

hi...please see this site for WHO pandemic levels/........explanations...for levels

Why Hasn't WHO changed Alert Level?

HELEN BRANSWELL (ph):  Hi, Dr. Besser.  Thanks so much for doing this.  I’m wondering if you can tell me, the samples that you’ve tested from Mexico that tested positive, has any at least preliminary sequencing of the virus isolates been done?  Can you say anything about how closely related they are to the isolates you have from the California cases, and also I’m wondering if you are talking to vaccine manufacturers about potentially ceasing production of seasonal flu vaccine for next fall and starting up production of a swine flu vaccine?

BESSER:  Thanks, Helen (ph).  As I said, the analyses of the – of the virus are preliminary.  We’ve been looking at one part of the virus, and what we’re seeing in that part of the virus is similarity.  But the more detailed analysis of the whole genome has not taken place.

In terms of the scale up for vaccine, what we have done is created a feed stock for this virus which is something we do whenever we see a new novel strain of influenza that cause disease, and then as part of that we would need to explore with the manufacturers what it would take to be able to scale up vaccine production.  At this point we have not made any decisions regarding the need for manufacturing of vaccine, but we thought it was prudent to develop that feed stock.

BRANSWELL (ph):  Can I ask a follow-up question?

BESSER:  Sure.

BRANSWELL (ph):  What pandemic threat level are we actually at today?

BESSER:  So far there has not been any change in the pandemic threat level.  The World Health Organization will be looking at the situation that’s occurring in Mexico and will be convening – most likely convening their group of experts to address that situation.  As Dr. Shook (ph) had talked about yesterday, there are really three things we want to look for when we’re thinking about whether a virus is causing a new pandemic.  One is is it new?  In order to cause a pandemic, you need a virus to which the majority of the population does not have protection or immunity.  Does it cause severe disease?  There are probably new viruses that appear all the time that don’t cause severe disease, but with an influenza virus, one of the factors we look at is the severity of disease.  And then the third factor is whether it’s easily transmissible and sustainable in a population.  So those are the three factors that WHO would be considering when they look at the threat level.

spud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:57am
Thanks. This is from the CDC site

"Each phase of alert coincides with a series of recommended activities to be undertaken by WHO, the international community, governments, and industry. Changes from one phase to another are triggered by several factors, which include the epidemiological behaviour of the disease and the characteristics of circulating viruses."

I'm wondering if there is a list of the steps/recommended activities they will implement. "series of recommended activities to be undertaken by WHO"
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 11:58am
yes ill send the link one moment
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:00pm
www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/influenza/flucheck6web.pdf
spud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:09pm
That link says page not found
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:09pm
damn i cant copy paste it wont work one moment
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindigness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:11pm
type in google the following
who checklists for pandemic
once it loads click the first link
once the new page loads click the pdf in ur language
spud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 12:40pm
That worked; thanks! I guess it answered my question. There is no absolute set of guidelines nationwide. Ie, they won't stop all air travel at level 5, etc. Each jurisdiction/stae/city makes its own plans, using the guidelines.
Wolfmanjack View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfmanjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by spud spud wrote:

That worked; thanks! I guess it answered my question. There is no absolute set of guidelines nationwide. Ie, they won't stop all air travel at level 5, etc. Each jurisdiction/stae/city makes its own plans, using the guidelines.

Just like our Voting system.. Pretty stupid don't you think? No centralized overall plan.. We are just asking for a major disaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic