Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Of Weeds, Cures and Big Pharma?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Of Weeds, Cures and Big Pharma?
    Posted: September 16 2009 at 10:30pm

Are The Fruits Of The Earth An Invention?

File:The%20Earth%20seen%20from%20Apollo%2017.jpg

Are Universities Packaging Up Mother Nature?

Selling It Off To Big Pharma?

This is not right

Pick a weed... a naturally growing  plant  ... tell the Patent Office ...

"It's an Invention"
Fill out a patent application.

Wherein this weed suppresses something, maybe, you decide.

Wherein you take the leaves, stems, flowers, fruits, seeds and roots and put them in Vodka.

Wherein you let it sit for awhile till it releases it's juices...

Wherein you may give some amount of this stuff containing extract of weed juice to a person.

Wherein you hire an Attorney and call this weed juice extract,  "Wonder Weedy"

Wherein you call yourself an inventor of "Wonder Weedy."

Wherein you never give Native Indians who used it for centuries any credt.

Wherein you use the word Wherein about a zillion times to confuse/impress the heck

out of the Patent Application Examiners.

Wherein you assign the patent to a University.

Wherein you cross your fingers.

Wherein you can't believe you actually got a patent.

...............................................................................................................................................

Have you guessed the name of a weed type plant ?

Maybe growing in a near by field?

Removing the juices and serving it up as a sorta cure, termed an "invention."

That actually got a patent? 

Until the year 2025?
....................................................................................................................................................

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 10:50pm
File:Asclepias%20tuberosa%20in%20Farmington,%20CT%204.jpg

If you guessed....                                  Butterfly Weed

You are correct...

And many of the patents are available for purchase.

Assignee:        Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

No. of patents: 93

Patents..  

5756322      Pokeweed

7226623     Chicory

6893627     Artemesia

7265101     Butterfly weed...   (Pleurisy Root)

Rutgers Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and The Environment

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 10:54pm

and remember all the talk about... the Bill... growing food...selling it

What?   No Backyard Crops?    Can you grow Your Own Medicinal Herbs?
..................................................................................................................................

Can you sell them to Others?

• fdralloveragain: Illegal to Grow Own Food

Congress is about to make it illegal to grow your own food, ..... doubt very seriously that anyone is trying to say you can't grow a tomato in your yard. .... guys this bill is saying that you can't grow food and sell it outside of your ...
    fdralloveragain.blogspot.com/.../soon-illegal-to-grow-your-own-food.html - Cached - Similar
  • Oprah.com Community: ILLEGAL TO GROW YOUR OWN FOOD ????? ...

9 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Aug 4
    We installed 1' boards to make a raised bed and then spent ... door to door and destroying your tomato plants in your back yard. ... You can also go under 'illegal to grow your own food.....it is all ... Even then, still, know one knows the ramifications of that bill on a personal and global level. ...
    www.oprah.com/community/thread/102953;jsessionid... - Cached - Similar
  • S. 425: Food Safety and Tracking Improvement Act (GovTrack.us)

Make a widget that shows the status of this bill for your webpage. ... with using the pesticides etc even in a back yard garden... is this really true? ... would be illegal to grow anything, even on your porch for your own consumption! ...
    www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-425 - Cached - Similar
  • Paula Crossfield: Will Obama's Food Safety Working Group Address ...

Mar 15, 2009 ... There is a new food bill in Congress that could make it illegal for you to grow food in your back yard and give it to a neighbor, ...
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../will-obamas-food-safety-w_b_175032.html - Cached - Similar
  • A bill to outlaw organic farming next week? Contact your Re ...

Apr 5, 2009 ... Not only will you not be able to grow your own food organic or not ..... Noted this and signed will call-If they make it illegal to gro our ...
    www.care2.com/news/member/713135843/1107961 - Cached - Similar
  • Alex Jones' Prison Planet.com ยป Bill to "Ban" Organic Farming

There goes my yard full of organic grass- I'm going to sell my lawn mower .... exclusively and we will make it illegal to grow your own food because we are ...
    www.prisonplanet.com/bill-to-ban-organic-farming.html - Cached - Similar
  •  

Mary008
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 11:00pm

Many Old Time Herbal Cures were well Known and Liked
    ....................................................................................................

Which ones survive today?

What Famous Man's father sold Herbal Cures?

..................................................................................

Who is the Man that Patented a famous Root Tonic?

He Lived in a Mansion.

Mary008
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 7:11am
    Hi, Mary,

Thanks for keeping this food  fight going. 

Here is something that fits right into your topic about weeds...  The History of Essiac and Rene M. Caisse, Canada's Nurse 

SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 8:16am

hi SheepLady... thanks for that link.

Please see above post for.. Answer to -

Have you guessed the name of a weed type plant ?

Maybe growing in a near by field?

Removing the juices and serving it up as a sorta cure, termed an "invention."

That actually got a patent? 

Until the year 2025?
    ....................................................................................................................................................

SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 9:18am
    I am going to guess senna and Fletcher's Castoria.
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 6:01pm

hi... good guess..   Fletchers is a very old product.    and I recall  a saying ...  That child has more tales than Carter's has Liver Pills...

Fletcher's Castoria, now known as Fletcher's Laxative

Product history

On May 12, 1868, the United States Patent Office granted a patent to Dr. Samuel Pitcher (1824-1907) of Barnstable, Massachusetts, for a cathartic composed of senna, sodium bicarbonate, essence of wintergreen, taraxicum, sugar and water.[1]

The remedy was initially sold under the name Pitcher's Castoria. Over time the product formula has changed.

In 1871, The Centaur Company was formed by Charles Henry Fletcher to purchase the rights to and manufacture Pitcher's Castoria. It was renamed Fletcher's Castoria.
    Castoria was the subject of one of the most significant campaigns in early mass advertising.

Castoria ads from the 1870s through 1920s are still visible today (or at least were between the 1970s and 2005) on the buildings of New York. See [2] and [3] for photos. At the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883, there were Castoria ads on virtually every blank wall in sight. They are quite visible in images of the opening of the bridge.[4]

There were two "Fletcher's Castoria" B-17 Flying Fortress bombers during World War II, both part of the 100th Bomber Group. The first was lost, but the crew survived. The second survived the war. Its pilot was William H. Fletcher (not a descendant of Charles Henry Fletcher), hence its name.

wikipedia

Advert for Carter's Little Liver Pills...

The Late 1800s: Carter's Little Liver Pills

Carter-Wallace's roots can be traced back to the 1800s and a modest pill compounded by an Erie, Pennsylvania doctor for folks suffering from digestive distress. 'Carter's Little Liver Pills' first were advertised by a sign placed in Dr. John Samuel Carter's pharmacy window, but the pills' popularity soon spread beyond the capacity of the pharmacy's back room.

By 1859 a four-floor plant had been built to produce the liver pills. Dr. Carter also had created other products, but it was the sales of the liver pills that led New York businessman Brent Good to suggest a merger to make a nationwide business. In 1880 Carter Medicine Company was born.

In its first year of business, the company spent a third of its revenues on advertising. Coupled with all the other start-up expenses, plus the move to New York, the first year ended in the red, but belief in the product remained strong.

By its second year Carter was exporting to Canada and England and enjoying vigorous sales in the United States. By 1890 the company had already outgrown its new quarters and moved to larger ones.

Soon imitators were popping up everywhere and an attorney was retained to battle the counterfeiters. With the loss in 1884 of Samuel Carter--the company's president and the son of the pill's inventor--Carter Medicine Company entered a new era.

Mary008
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 6:06pm

Many Old Time Herbal Cures were well Known and Liked
    ..............................................................................................

Which ones survive today?

Surviving consumer products from the patent medicine era
    ..................................................................................................

A number of brands of consumer products that date from the patent medicine era are
    still on the market and available today.

Their ingredients may have changed from the
    original formulas; the claims made for the benefits they offer have typically been
    seriously revised.

These brands include:

666 Cold Medicine
    Absorbine Jr.
    Anacin/Anadin
    Andrews Liver Salts
    Aspro aspirin tablets
    Bayer Aspirin
    BC Powder
    Bromo-Seltzer
    Carter's Little Liver Pills (Currently sold as Carter's Little Pills)
    Chlorodyne
    Doan's Pills
    Fletcher's Castoria
    Geritol
    Goody's Powder
    Lobeila Cough Syrup
    Luden's Throat Drops
    Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound
    Minard's Liniment
    Phillips' Milk of Magnesia
    Smith Brothers Throat Drops
    Vicks VapoRub

Products no longer sold under medicinal claims
    ..............................................................................

Some consumer products were once marketed as patent medicines, but have been
    repurposed and are no longer sold for medicinal purposes.

Their original ingredients may have been changed to remove drugs,
    such is the case with Coca-Cola.

The compound may also simply be used in a different capacity, as in the case of
    Angostura Bitters, now associated chiefly with cocktails.

7-Up
    Angostura Bitters
    Bovril
    Coca-Cola
    Dr Pepper
    Fernet Branca
    Hires Root Beer
    Moxie brand soda
    tonic water

source - wikipedia

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 6:16pm

File:Lydiapinkham-007.png

Lydia Pinkham's Herb Medicine (circa 1875) remains on the market today.

Sold at CVS

Biography

Lydia Pinkham was born in the manufacturing city of Lynn, Massachusetts, the tenth of the twelve children of William and Rebecca Estes. The Estes were an old Quaker family tracing their ancestry to one William Estes, a Quaker who migrated to America in 1676, and through him to the thirteenth century Italian house of Este. William Estes was originally a shoemaker, but by the time Lydia was born in 1819 he had become wealthy through dealing in real estate and had risen to the status of "gentleman farmer" [1] Lydia was educated at Lynn Academy and worked as a schoolteacher before her marriage in September 1843. [2]

The Estes were a strongly abolitionist and anti-segregation family. The fugitive slave and abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass was a neighbour and a family friend. The Estes household was a gathering place for local and visiting abolitionist leaders such as William Lloyd Garrison. The Estes broke from the Quakers over the slavery issue in the 1830s. Lydia joined the Lynn Female Anti-slavery Society when she was sixteen; in the controversies which divided the abolitionist movement during the 1840s Lydia would support the feminist and moral suasion positions of Nathaniel P. Rogers.[3] Her children would continue in the anti-slavery tradition. [4]

Isaac Pinkham was a 29-year-old shoe manufacturer when he married Lydia in 1843, he would try various business without much success. Lydia gave birth to her first child Charles Hacker Pinkham in 1844, lost her second child to gastroenteritis, and gave birth to her second surviving child Daniel Rogers Pinkham in 1848. A third son, William Pinkham, was born in 1852 and a daughter Aroline Chase Pinkham in 1857.[5] (All the Pinkham children would eventually be involved in the Pinkham medicine business.)

Like many women of her time Lydia Pinkham brewed home remedies, which she continually collected. Her remedy for "female complaints" became very popular among her neighbours to whom she gave it away. One story is that her husband was given the recipe as part payment for a debt, [6]whatever truth may be in this the ingredients of her remedy were generally consistent with the herbal knowledge available to her through such sources as John King's American Dispensary which she is known to have owned and used.[7] In Lydia Pinkham's time and place the reputation of the medical profession was low. Medical fees were too expensive for most Americans to afford except in emergencies, in which case the remedies were more likely to kill than cure.

For example a common "medicine" was calomel, in fact not a medicine but a deadly mercurial toxin, and this fact was even at the time sufficiently well known among the sceptical to be the subject of a popular comic song. [8] In these circumstances there is no mystery why many preferred to trust unlicensed "root and herb" practitioners, and to trust women prepared to share their domestic remedies such as Lydia Pinkham. [9]

Isaac Pinkham was financially ruined in the Panic of 1873, he narrowly escaped arrest for debt and his health was permanently broken by the associated stress.[10] The fortunes of the Pinkham family had long been patchy but they now entered on hard times. Lydia sometimes accepted payment for her popular remedy for female complaints. It is reputed to have been her son Daniel who came up with the idea, in 1875 of making a family business of the remedy. Lydia initially made the remedy on her stove before its success enabled production to be transferred to a factory, she answered letters from customers and probably wrote most of the advertising copy. [11]

Mass marketed from 1876 on, Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound became one of the best known patent medicines of the 19th century. Descendants of this product are still available today. Lydia's skill was in marketing her product directly to women and her company continued her shrewd marketing tactics after her death. Her own face was on the label and her company was particularly keen on the use of testimonials from grateful women.

Advertising copy urged women to write to Mrs. Pinkham. They did, and they received answers. They continued to write and receive answers for decades after Lydia Pinkham's death. These staff-written answers combined forthright talk about women's medical issues, advice, and, of course, recommendations for her product. In 1905 the Ladies' Home Journal published a photograph of Lydia Pinkham's tombstone and exposed the ruse. The Pinkham company insisted that it had never meant to imply that the letters were being answered by Lydia Pinkham, but by her daughter-in-law, Jennie Pinkham.

Although Pinkham's motives were partly self-serving, many modern-day feminists admire her for distributing information on menstruation and the "facts of life" and consider her to be a crusader for women's health issues in a day when women were poorly served by the medical establishment.

In 1922, Lydia's daughter Aroline Chase Pinkham Gove founded the Lydia E. Pinkham Memorial Clinic in Salem, Massachusetts. The clinic, still in operation as of 2004[update], provides health services to young mothers and their children. It is designated Site 9 of the Salem Women's Heritage Trail.

wikipedia

From a box of her medicine
                                                                                                                                    Mary008
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 7:24am
    Wow, I can't believe that was right.  Did not know all that.  Guess that dates me.  We also got turpentine and sugar for bad cough, castor oil in the spring, kerosene or turpentine for bad cuts and cobwebs to clot blood.  It was amazing any of us lived, lol.  Used lots of Goody's powders too.
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 7:40am

You are lucky...we only had to survive being coated with Vicks :)

and the answer to...

What Famous Man's father sold Herbal Cures?

..................................................................................

John D. Rockefeller  (Standard Oil ...now (ExxonMobil)

his dad sold 'Medicinal cures' (said to be created by an older female relative)  which were

very popular in the day...

and...

William Rockefeller, father of John D. Rockefeller, sold bottles of raw petroleum to country folk as a cure for cancer.

source

(not the cure  :)      a book...sold here-

Mary008

SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 7:43am
    And petroleum is what?  Wonder if any of THOSE folks survived?

SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 9:01am

Here is a longer description of it's healing powers... from  as early as the...seventh century.

Remedies across Arabia: Descriptions of petroleum's healing powers

date from 2000 years ago,

although its traditional medicinal use is probably much older.

Oil-and-water baths were supposed to strengthen the body.

Ointments of bitumen and other chemicals were often applied to sores or broken bones.

Other petroleum preparations acted as antidotes to poison, fumigants, disinfectants or
    laxatives.

The Book of the Powers of Remedies, a medical text prepared by Masarjawah, a

prominent physician living in Basra, Iraq,

during the seventh century,

described the benefits of ingesting oil for fighting disease and infection.
    Masarjawah wrote: "Warm naphtha, especially water-white naphtha, when ingested in
    small doses, is excellent for suppressing cough, for asthma, bladder discomfort and
    arthritis."

The All-Encompassing Dictionary states, "The best grade of naphtha is the water-white. It is a good solvent, a diluent and an expectorant. Taken internally, it relieves cramps and aches of the belly, and, when applied topically, it can soothe skin rashes and infections."

Vicks VapoRub, a nasal decongestant, cough suppressant and topical analgesic, contains petrolatum, and other salves, suppositories and cosmetic products also benefit from the consistency contributed by petrolatums.

Did you know?
    Akkadian clay tablets from about 2200 BC referred to crude oil as naptu, from which derives the root of the Arabic naft.
    William Rockefeller, father of John D. Rockefeller, sold bottles of raw petroleum to country folk as a cure for cancer.
    Petroleum is used today in homeopathic medicine to treat motion sickness, eczema and

other skin problems, nausea and diarrhea.

source

Mary008
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:13pm

Ok, so at least they didn't get bound up:)

SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 9:00pm
     I wonder what they were eating back then...

Who is the Man that Patented a famous Root Tonic?

He Lived in a Mansion. 

(a popular Tonic)
    SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 5:13pm
    SheepLady
    Mary008 View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 9:29pm
    Well that fits...  almost .

Kilmer's Swamp Root; unspecified roots found in swamps had remarkable effects on the kidneys, according to its literature.

Until the twentieth century alcohol was the most controversial ingredient; for it was widely recognised that the "medicines" could continue to be sold for their alleged curative properties even in prohibition states and counties. Many of the medicines were in fact liqueurs of various sorts, flavoured with herbs said to have medicinal properties. Peruna was a famous "Prohibition tonic," weighing in at around 18% grain alcohol.

This fellow Dr. S. Andral Kilmer was not a fictional character but a pretty smart character. 

His nephew,

File:Willis%20Sharpe%20Kilmer3.jpg

Willis Sharpe Kilmer
    (October 18, 1869 - July 12, 1940),
    son of Jonas M. Kilmer and Julia E. Sharpe, was a marketing pioneer, newspaperman,
    ...he attended Cornell University for several years until 1880. Kilmer was perhaps best known for advertising and promoting his Uncle's Swamp Root formula
    until it became a household name.
    Dr. S. Andral Kilmer invented the formula
    and invited his brother Jonas to run the business end of the company in 1881.

Jonas, operating out of the six story Kilmer building, at Chenango & Lewis Streets in Binghamton, NY, would later buy out his brother and bring in his son Willis to handle the marketing and advertising.

Swamp Root was never advertised as a cure all.
    From the beginning it was sold as a specific tonic and advertised as
    "The Great Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root Kidney, Liver, & Bladder Cure."
    He was extensively involved in real estate, owning a family mansion in Binghamton, New York, the twelve story Press Building in downtown Binghamton, where he ran the The Binghamton Press Co., considered the official newspaper for the City of Binghamton, and three racing stables and estates: Sun Briar Court in Binghamton, Court Manor in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and Remlik, on the banks of Virginia's Rappahannock River. Kilmer's private yacht Remlik was purchased by the US Navy during World War I and converted into the USS Remlik, the name being Kilmer spelled backwards. Kilmer died in 1940 from pneumonia having amassed a fortune of some $15 million, mostly from the sale of the patent medicine Swamp Root tonic, which is still for sale today.

[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10]
    wickipedia

S. Andral Kilmer, M.D.

Interesting Bio and old photos

Mary008

SheepLady View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 6:15am
    Wonder if he was related to Joyce Kilmer, the poet?
    SheepLady
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic