Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Ukraine-Swine Flu Mutation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waenderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 12:52pm
Albert : if there is a comfirmed case of mutation...i can get that info to a friend of mine, who has a high function in a a leading Belgium Paper...
momasaurus7 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momasaurus7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 12:53pm
Hi Coyote.  I know it's just nerve wracking, there is nothing anywhere.  The North Carolina post doesn't help either.  I am terrrified that we won't be told anything until it's too late.
We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 1:52pm
bluesman - that article in NC is very similar to the one in 1994 that med just posted under the general section.  Anytime an outbreak occurs in another country they put out alerts here.  I don't think that is anything out of the ordinary.  However, I am still very concerned about the Ukraine situation and watching it closely, just adding a little perspective.
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Bluesman Bluesman wrote:

This research paper suggests that it will because it is similar to NEWYORK1918 and A/London/1/1919.  To scan the relevant areas in the attached post easily press cntrl F on your internet explorer browser and search for 225.

Do me a favor if you wouldn't mind Bluesman, summarize the research paper and I will use it as a "source" on the News Wire.  Also, Give me "your" best personal argument in sequencing terms (one paragraph, 3 or 4 sentences)  why you believe h1n1 has mutated so I can quote you.   Give me some more ammo and I will do the rest. 

Bluesman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Originally posted by Bluesman Bluesman wrote:

This research paper suggests that it will because it is similar to NEWYORK1918 and A/London/1/1919.  To scan the relevant areas in the attached post easily press cntrl F on your internet explorer browser and search for 225.

Do me a favor if you wouldn't mind Bluesman, summarize the research paper and I will use it as a "source" on the News Wire.  Also, Give me "your" best personal argument in sequencing terms (one paragraph, 3 or 4 sentences)  why you believe h1n1 has mutated so I can quote you.   Give me some more ammo and I will do the rest. 

The paper your refer to concludes that there was genetic homogeniety between 1918 and 1919 H1N1 flu strains.  That is, they were equal opportunity killers. 
Quote Our results show that strains separated by over 7,500 miles (Brevig Mission, Alaska, to London, United Kingdom) and several months (September 26, 1918, to February 15, 1919) share a sequence identity of 99%,

The following citation  is also from the paper:
Amino acid 225 also varies among North American strains; A/New York/1/1918, like A/London/1/1919, has a glycine at position 225, as do most avian influenza strains.

Ok, now my interpretation:  D225G is predominate in a/New York/1/1918 and A/London/1/1919.  It appears that this amino acid could be sufficient to allow viral replication in the human respiratory tract.  Thus the presence of D225G in lung and throat samples of Ukraine sequence samples but not in nasal swabs suggests it may be necessary for viral replication in the lungs, a signature feature of 1918 Spanish Flu.  As a consequence, clinicians can obtain false negative results for A/H1N1 nasal swabs for those patients that have the variant that replcates in the lungs.  This has probably resulted in confusion in determining the virus responsible for some of the hemorrhagic pnemonitis observed in Ukraine victims.

When you couple the autopsie results obtained by Dr. Bachinsky with the sequence data from Ukraine lung samples, you begin to see a morphology similar to 1918 Spanish flu.  In my opinion, the reason why fatalities are not yet approaching 1918 ratios is because this mutation is not dominant in the H1N1 population.  But it will be because it has a reproductive advantage (natural selective advantage).  It can multiply in much greater numbers in the lungs than those variants that rely on nasalpharyngeal replication.

I find it shamefull that GISAID has placed covenants regarding the dissemination of these data.  We need more researchers discussing the results openly to determine the potential threat posed by this new mutation.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 6:33pm

In my opinion, the reason why fatalities are not yet approaching 1918 ratios is because this mutation is not dominant in the H1N1 population. 

hi...  There will likely be no H1N12009 fatalities approaching 1918.  There were some deaths in the Ukraine, but people were not dropping in the streets.  No need to overreact ...   The nature of influenza viruses is to drift... strain variations...   There are plenty of people in the US and South America, Australia who have been infected to serve as a fire break... I heard of very few deaths in the fall wave in NY.  Europe saw much worse last winter.  There may be more illness in Feb.  Until then, get together your flu remedies/food and enjoy the Holidays.

4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 7:50pm
Mary, we arent close to the problems they had in 1918 but if we were to do a comparrison, maybe we are at the 1917 point.  What the people in 1917 could have been experiencing is what we are today in 2009.  They didnt have the internet or the speed of light communications like we do today and could have experienced the same stuff we are today and just thought it is a normal flu year.  It is possible we are comparing more to even 1916.  It is very possible we have one or two more years before we compare to 1918.  Everyone is saying wave one is past and now it is wave two but we really dont know if there will be 3 waves or 30.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 8:13pm
hi... we have to consider that childhood disease was rampant back then... (horses pooped in the streets)... we know animals can get it... they had to remove stray dogs etc from the streets... people were crowded together in the cities, garbage was left in the streets... nutrition was poor...no meals in schools as we have now.  We can't really compare health between the two time periods.  There is a high infection rate with this but not a high death rate.  The people of the Ukraine are having a difficult time with their economy and politics... prices are terrible...people should read the article by the woman who wrote on the price of lemons there (in this thread) in fact I am amazed at the toughness of the Ukraine people... what they are going through and few deaths in comparison.  We are so lucky here. I am sad to see their situation .... hopefully the flu there is coming down now from it's height as written in the papers.  The flu will hit all populations to different degrees, depending on how the other current pandemics are effecting them.  It should be pointed out how vital good nutrition is to over all health.

here is some interesting info on 1917...  ( I'll read it tomorrow.)

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 10:50pm
Here is another how come to all who so earnestly seek the worst possible scenario.

How come when the Mexicans had the flu it spun through the world in weeks, but this so called muated Ukrainien strain, has stayed in the Ukrane?? Do they use horse and buggy there, does not one  person from any place else ever travel there to continue the spread of the disease all over the globe? Come on, thnk of the Spring and this now. There would be zero reason for the mutation to stay put, if it was indeed a mutation that was so much more deadly.
waenderer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waenderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 4:35am
abcdefg :just a thought :( like placed above...) how much do we know about the situation BEFORE the outbreak in 1918 ? I think if we could go back to 1916-1917....we could have the same picture  like the one we have today.....lots of infected....not to many dead..slowly spreading..mutating thrue tiime...
We live in moment where everything has to go fast..we seek answers now...but i think there will be no difference between what happened in 1918 and what could happen now.
Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 4:37am

Situation Update No. 43
On 19.11.2009 at 03:39 GMT+2

The Ukranian version of H1N1, described by the World Health Organization (WHO) as "similar" to the Novel A H1N1 virus commonly known as swine flu, claims more lives every day in the Ukraine. According to the Ukranian health ministry, 344 people have now died due to this virus, eighteen of these fatalities occurred in the past 24 hours. In addition to the rising mortality rate, the flu present in the Ukraine appears to be highly contagious as well. In the past 24 hours, nearly 45 thousand more Ukranians have become ill with the flu. Ukranian Prime Minister, Yulia Tymoshenko, has been accused of using the flu outbreak as a political tool to increase her chances of winning the upcoming election. Mass gatherings have been banned, while PM Tymoshenko gives a television address each night to keep the Ukranians updated on the flu situation. PM Tymoshenko has experienced a dramatic increase in popularity during the flu crisis.

Yeah well the H5n1 is similar to the H1n1 - the WHO is about as honest as our government is!  Unhappy

hope4bestprep4wrst View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope4bestprep4wrst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 6:29am
Originally posted by abcdefg abcdefg wrote:

Here is another how come to all who so earnestly seek the worst possible scenario.

How come when the Mexicans had the flu it spun through the world in weeks, but this so called muated Ukrainien strain, has stayed in the Ukrane?? Do they use horse and buggy there, does not one  person from any place else ever travel there to continue the spread of the disease all over the globe? Come on, thnk of the Spring and this now. There would be zero reason for the mutation to stay put, if it was indeed a mutation that was so much more deadly.

I  don't know how much the politics of Ukraine vs Russian has been discussed. You are right, there are 1.5 million cases in Ukraine and Russia is reporting less than 2000, hard to explain the difference with any flu virus sequence IMHO. Why hasn't it traveled across the border? It is quite a large border.

Remember, some Russians allegedly poisoned the President of the Ukraine (not necessarily the government although they won't hand over the guys suspected of doing it-this photo in this article is disturbing-so I will only paste the link)  http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,556445,00.html

Hard to know who to believe about what. There is an election coming up and I think Russia is not supporting Yushchenko the president (I think). I have a hard time believing Russia's numbers (taken from a flu map ).
Regards

Be Well
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Loribearme Loribearme wrote:

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?glide=EP-20091028-23630-UKR&cat=dis=eng

If you Click your links "event description" you'll see the data is a mix of 11-19-2009 and 10-28-2009.

I noticed the date was incorrect in that database. Then I started looking into how this php script works to see if I could find hidden data. It was giving me some very bizarre answers. Try this link as I found a way to make people vanish that crash in vehicles.

The point: Sometimes you need to be a little skeptical with things you read.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?glide=THE_YEAR_IS_2459_I_COME_FROM_THE_FUTURE-AND_I_MAKE_PEOPLE_VANISH_IN_VEHICLE_ACCIDENTS-22630-UKR&cat=dis=eng

At first this seemed almost impossible but it was real. 16 people did vanish in that Vehicle accident.
Bluesman View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 8:31am
Originally posted by abcdefg abcdefg wrote:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - It is a DUCK!  My opinion, based on observation, is that the mutant strain is not dominant in the H1N1 population.  But it will become dominant in time because of natural selection.  This was the case in 1918 Spanish Flu where the first wave was mild but the subsequent waves predominanted with the D225G amino acid variant.  This variant could reproduce effectively in the lungs and became highly communicable.
Quote Swine Influenza virus has mutated

A new variant of swine flu has been detected in Norway. . It is serious, but health authorities assure that there is no reason to panic.

The case is updated.

Of Public Health has detected a change in the virus, called a mutation.

Going on the lungs

Laboratory tests from 70 patients are examined, of which eight patients have died.  Total is the mutation found in three of the patients.  Two of them are dead, while the third is healthy again after having been admitted with serious illness.

Laboratory samples were sent Tuesday to the World Health Organization reference laboratory in London, where it was confirmed a mutation.  This means that the original virus has changed slightly.

. The new mutated virus thrives further down the respiratory system than the original.  It shuts down the lungs of patients, which means more severe disease than the original virus, which first affects the throat and upper respiratory tract.

Vaccine and Tamiflu work still

Since the new virus in the lungs and is only detected in patients who have been admitted to hospital, experts expect that it is less contagious than has affected most who are infected so far.

- Both the vaccine and Tamiflu as a treatment will work also for this variant of the virus, "says director Geir Stene-Larsen at the NIPH.

The mutated virus is now found in Norway, is also found in other countries.

- We have found the mutant virus at two of the first patients who died in this country.  This means that this virus has been circulating in Norway since the pandemic started.  Therefore, we expect no major change in the situation forward, "said health director Bjørn-Inge Larsen.

Can the virus change even more so that the vaccine and Tamiflu may no longer work?

-- There is a theoretical possibility, but we do not think we face a more serious and dramatic pandemic now. The current situation gives no cause for panic, "said Larsen.

The treatment started too late

Health authorities investigating 15 patients died, among other things, to get answers to why Norway has had a relatively large number of dead.  It has not found anything that contradicts the previous assumption, which is that the high number is because the infection came early to Norway.

Gjennomsnittsalderen på de døde er 30 år. The average age of the dead is 30 years. Det er omtrent like mange kvinner som menn, og nesten alle tilhører en risikogruppe. There are almost as many women as men, and almost all belong to a risk group. Ingen av de døde er vaksinert. None of the dead are vaccinated. Bare fire har fått Tamiflu, og først etter fem-seks dager. Only four have been given Tamiflu, and only after five to six days.

- The treatment is started too late. . We do not yet know if any of them have been in contact with health services before they were hospitalized. This we investigate further, says Larsen.

Fewer will be seriously ill

Only 2 of the 23 deaths associated with swine flu, the people who were entirely healthy before.  All the others had an underlying disease that increased the risk of severe disease by influenza, according to the NIPH in this pandemi.no.

- - When people in risk groups are vaccinated finished, we estimate that less is seriously ill of swine influenza, "said health director.  He said earlier forecasts of how many people are seriously ill, you revised downwards.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 8:41am
mjm1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

death rate is still low...

Only 2 of the 23 deaths associated with swine flu, the people who were entirely healthy before.  All the others had an underlying disease that increased the risk of severe disease by influenza

Antall syke barn kraftig ned i Oslo Number of sick children sharply down in Oslo

I think we can see where this is headed, given the recent info out there.  It may be good to refute or downplay every single story out there to try to keep people from panicking, but as I said, I think we can see where this is heading.  Only time will tell.
mysty View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 5:03pm
Heya all,
 i don't study flu's , Im just here looking out for news to care for my kids. But is this telling us it has mutated in Norway to be vaccine resistant?

Mutated Swine Flu Strains Block Drugs, Worsen Illness (Update2)

The virus in Norway appears to be sensitive to Tamiflu and the vaccine now being offered in some areas to prevent swine flu infection, said Mercer of the WHO.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=ab0royU2paW4

Medicinal Agent View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medicinal Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 5:41pm

I am not sure how useful the "death rate" is in gauging the severity of H1N1 in general.   It may be more insightful to look at the rate of hospitalizations and ICU admissions in countries affected by H1N1 or its possible variants to appreciate the true burden of this illness.   With  today's advances in supportive care ,  many patients that would have died years ago are now being supported through their  illness with ventilators, antivirals,  fluids,  and vasopressors.   Thus, the death rate may not be an accurate metric for disease severity especially in countries with a modern health care infrastruture.    Just a thought.

reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Medicinal Agent Medicinal Agent wrote:

I am not sure how useful the "death rate" is in gauging the severity of H1N1 in general.   It may be more insightful to look at the rate of hospitalizations and ICU admissions in countries affected by H1N1 or its possible variants to appreciate the true burden of this illness.   With  today's advances in supportive care ,  many patients that would have died years ago are now being supported through their  illness with ventilators, antivirals,  fluids,  and vasopressors.   Thus, the death rate may not be an accurate metric for disease severity especially in countries with a modern health care infrastruture.    Just a thought.

Medicinal...And a good one at that!!!ClapRC 

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 6:05pm
death rate may not be an accurate metric for disease severity ...
you may want to reconsider...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 2:59pm
Hi Penham,

Is Google FluTrends still considered a reliable source of information in this forum?
I only ask that because I noticed one of my flutrends posts was deleted.

Watch how flutrends uses a mix of CDC's data and users searches. It tends to be "two weeks" ahead of the CDC. It's worth watching this two minute video to see how it works. If we need a heads up on whats coming this is a great tool. Some people are data farming for information and this tool is light years ahead compared to a few posters guesswork and speculation based on how they interpret an article, blog or twitter feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6111nS66Dpk&feature=player_embedded#

Correction: I said "Data Farming" and people here are small scale "Data Mining"
The difference between the two is immense. http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:ZI4KE_A9L5MJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_farming+data+farming&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 4:45pm
Tech, Google is fine. I don't recall deleting it. I have only been deleting stuff that has had links to other blogs and swine/bird flu sites and posts that are making negative comments about other users. So unless it had some negative comments about another user (I would have deleted it then), Albert may have deleted it for some reason.
Crusoe View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 5:01pm
The information found in this video is recent and appears credible. (The volume sucks...but you don't need it to read the charts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRd5Ff7vPxM
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Crusoe Crusoe wrote:

The information found in this video is recent and appears credible. (The volume sucks...but you don't need it to read the charts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRd5Ff7vPxM

The guy definitely seemed realistic and trustworthy and is probably accurate. It's hard to quantify accuracy without links to back up the statements.

Someone posted a news picture of 5 Canadians wearing masks. I've then scanned over 100 Canadian webcams and out of over 1,000 people I've yet to find one person wearing a mask. It's funny how the news uses images to get attention.

I tried over 30 Ukraine webcams but only a couple have enough detail to even see if people are wearing masks and the images are dark now. I'm curious to see how many people are wearing masks. I'll give some links if I find any worth noting.

MarieF View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 4:20am

Ukraine Swine Flu Deaths indicate H1N1 Vaccine and Biological Weapon Link

According to a news article in Russia this week, autopsies on H1N1 victims doctors have confirmed pneumonia was not the cause of death. Cardiopulmonary insufficiency and cardiogenic shock are to blame and antibiotics should not be used.

The virus is said to be a mixture of Para influenza and influenza A/H1N1. It penetrates the mucus membranes, and then enters directly into the lungs causing bleeding.

Ukraine Deaths are not Pneumonia

The Head of the Chernivtsi regional forensic bureau, Professor Victor Bachinsky PhD, makes a strong statement, “All the victims of the virus in Bukovina (22 persons aged 20 to 40 years) died not from bilateral (double) pneumonia, as previously thought, but as a result of viral distress syndrome, i.e. the total destruction of the lungs. In the Chernivtsi region 18 people have died. We studied all the history and evidence from this disease, preclinical, clinical, resuscitation. When we perform an autopsy organs and tissues have histological studies (cell analysis) and we concluded that it was not pneumonia, and has no relation to pneumonia whatsoever.”

Profession Victor Bachinsky, PhD is head of the regional forensic bureau, a group of 5 specialists, morphologists and doctors in Bukovina. This group of professors has established the diagnosis based on autopsies and lab tests.

Professor Bachinsky also stated the severity of the virus depends on a person’s immune system. Those with strong immune systems will overcome it easily, some not even knowing they are ill.

Antibiotics are not an Option

“Antibiotics definitely should not be taken.” Bachinsky further stated, “Antibiotics are the reason we have such a high mortality and infection rate in this country, because people go to the pharmacy, describe their symptoms to the pharmacist and ask for drugs. They buy antibiotics, take them, this lowers their immune system and as a result they become sick. If prescriptions were required to buy these medications, like in other countries, this would not have happened. It is the ability to buy antibiotics over the counter without a prescription which has done so much harm to the State.”

The toxic strain of this virus literally destroys the lungs and is responsible for deaths in Bukovina and throughout the Ukraine. Once the virus enters the lungs, hemorrhaging begins immediately. There is a cardio-pulmonary insufficiency and cardiogenic shock. People die of cardiogenic shock. Baskinsky explains further, “And there is no pneumonia. Pneumonia – an inflammation, which is treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics cannot help at any stage. There should be absolutely different treatment.”

Tami flu is recommended for treatment on the second or third day of the disease, but it can not be used as a preventative medication.

Prevention is the best Medicine for the Swine Flu

Prevention should be the strengthening of the human immune system. Professor Bachinsky recommends, “Garlic, onions, wild rose, viburnum (guelder rose), raspberries, citrus fruit, honey, and other fruits and vegetables – whatever you want. Those with a strong immune system will survive. Those with weaker immune systems will succumb to the disease.”

H1N1 Swine Flu Bio-Weapon Link

Professor Victor Bachinsky, PhD., is a coroner in the Chernivtsi region of Ukraine. He provides evidence which indicates that Para influenza mixed with the H1N1 virus, not pneumonic plague, has caused so much illness in Ukraine. Yet more strains of influenza which have combined, a strong indication that we are dealing with a laboratory developed bio-weapon.

This is not the only claim indicating a link to the H1N1 Vaccine to being a biological weapon.  According to an article from the Netherlands, Joseph Moshe, a former microbiologist with the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, was arrested in Los Angeles back in August 2009 after making threats against the White House.

After his arrest there were several reports where Moshe called into a radio show warning of the biological weapon being created in the Ukraine.  These reports accuse the Ukrainian company Baxter International of creating this bio-weapon, that would be transmitted via a flu vaccine. 

http://www.examiner.com/x-22920-Atlanta-Alternative-Spirituality-Examiner~y2009m11d21-Ukraine-H1N1-Deaths-Indicate-BioWeapon

Marie
MarieF View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 5:09am

Tamiflu's ability to cure questioned

Tests show virus still mutated, despite Tamiflu

Updated: Saturday, 21 Nov 2009, 6:32 PM EST
Published : Saturday, 21 Nov 2009, 6:32 PM EST

• Shannon Ross
  • Posted by: Kate McGowan

NORTH CAROLINA (WIVB) - Medical investigators are in North Carolina, to learn more about H1N1 Tamiflu resistant cases.

The seriously ill patients were all housed at Duke University Medical Center's Cancer ward.

They had been given Tamiflu to prevent them from getting ill, but recent tests show the virus mutated despite those treatments.

Three of the four patients have died.

"The vast majority of people infected with influenza do not even receive antiviral treatments, so this mutation treatment is a moot point to most of us. However, it is something we have to pay attention to when we see it."

The Swiss-made Tamiflu is one of two medicines used in the U.S. to fight the pandemic.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/health/Tamiflus-ability-to-cure-questioned

Marie
MarieF View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarieF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 5:27am

Swine flu outbreak stirs panic, political discord in Ukraine

By Philip P. Pan Washington Post / November 22, 2009

KIEV - One night at the height of the panic over what people here call the California flu, as 24-hour news stations tracked a rising death toll and politicians speculated about a mystery lung plague, Ukraine’s prime minister rushed to the airport to greet a shipment of Tamiflu as if it were a foreign dignitary.

Not to be outdone, the president, a bitter political foe, dispatched a top aide to meet the plane, too.

In neighboring Belarus, the government took an opposite tack, accusing drug companies of fanning hysteria over swine flu to boost profit. In Poland, the health minister is under fire for refusing to stock up on a vaccine, while doctors in Hungary are resisting orders to administer the shot. In Turkmenistan, the authorities have been accused of covering up an epidemic, with infectious-disease wards reportedly full and people being turned away.

As the pandemic H1N1 influenza surges with the onset of winter, the nations of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union appear particularly vulnerable to the deadly virus. Burdened with weak health care systems, relatively inexperienced news media outlets, and shaky governments that have little public trust, the region also seems ripe for panic and political strife over the flu.

The potential for trouble is already on display in Ukraine, where 1.5 million of its 46 million people have had diagnoses of flu and respiratory illnesses since the start of the outbreak and 356 have died, according to the government. The World Health Organization suspects that most of the cases are swine flu, making Ukraine among the hardest-hit countries in Europe, including Russia, Bulgaria, Moldova, and Poland.

More telling than the numbers, however, has been the widespread fear the virus has caused in Ukraine, and the outsize impact it has had on the nation’s political landscape.

In the weeks since Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko announced measures against the spread of the flu - shutting the nation’s schools and banning public gatherings - anxious residents have overwhelmed hospitals and pharmacies, buying up supplies of medicine, gauze masks, and home remedies such as lemons and garlic. Rumors have proliferated that people are dying of a new, more lethal strain of the virus.

Semyon Gluzman, a psychiatrist and Soviet-era dissident in Kiev, said the fear was a rational response in a nation with a dysfunctional health care system and a corrupt, ineffective government.

Ukraine’s news media - which gained new freedoms after the Orange Revolution - have provided round-the-clock, often sensational coverage of the outbreak. The nation’s leading politicians are jockeying for advantage ahead of the January presidential election, accusing one another of exploiting the crisis by doing too much or endangering lives by doing too little.

President Viktor Yushchenko, running far behind in his reelection bid, accused the prime minister of failing to prepare for the outbreak, saying that she left the national flu center staffed with only one employee, put doctors in danger, and allowed the H1N1 virus to mutate into a “more aggressive’’ strain. Aides floated the idea of postponing the election because of the outbreak.

Tymoshenko, who was a Yushchenko ally in the Orange Revolution, fought back, criticizing him for blocking $125 million in emergency spending to fight the flu and saying he would be “responsible for every person who is ill today or dies.’’

Marie
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 9:19pm
D225G Swine flu mutation - Same receptor as 1918 Spanish flu pandemic found in Ukraine virus

H1N1 Mutation in Europe Similar to Spanish Flu
sxc.hu/hisks

According to analysis of genetic testing done by the World Health Organization, the Ukraine flu virus is an H1N1 mutation that is similar to the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. The two flu virus outbreaks both have changes in the receptor binding domain D225G, and similar symptoms, which include bleeding in the lungs. Current estimates of the deaths attributed to the Ukraine flu outbreak is as many as 400, and increasing daily.

Spanish flu pandemic

In 1918, the Spanish flu pandemic killed between 20 million and 40 million people. The pandemic took place during the end of World War I, but ten times as many Americans died from the Spanish Flu as died in the war - nearly 700,000. The most severely struck regions were in areas of high humidity. Some speculation existed that the Spanish flu was an early attempt at a biological weapon due to the extremely high death rate, and symptoms that included bleeding in the lungs.

H1N1 Mutation in the Ukraine

The H1N1 mutation in the Ukraine also includes the symptoms of bleeding in the lungs, and has been described as an infection that completely destroys the lungs.

Similarity in genetic samples of Spanish flu and Swine flu mutation from Ukraine and Norway

The receptor binding proteins present in the Spanish flu and in swine flu mutations that result in bleeding lungs and death are the same. A virus attaches to charged molecules on cells. Some attach to proteins and others to lipids, but the type of molecule differs between viruses. The virus samples analyzed by the World Health Organization from the Ukraine flu showed a different receptor binding pattern than the original swine flu virus, but the same as the receptor binding pattern as the 1918 Spanish flu.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 12:30am

Is this the * Human * Avian * Swine * Connection?
..........................................................................................

Experiments done in 2005...

Journal of Virology, September 2005, p. 11533-11536, Vol. 79, No. 17
0022-538X/05/$08.00+0     doi:10.1128/JVI.79.17.11533-11536.2005
Copyright © 2005, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.

A Single Amino Acid Substitution in 1918 Influenza Virus Hemagglutinin Changes Receptor Binding Specificity

Laurel Glaser,1 James Stevens,2 Dmitriy Zamarin,1 Ian A. Wilson,3 Adolfo García-Sastre,1 Terrence M. Tumpey,5 Christopher F. Basler,1 Jeffery K. Taubenberger,4 and Peter Palese1*
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, Box 1124, New York, New York 10029,1 Department of Molecular Biology,2 Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037,3

Department of Molecular Pathology,

Armed Forces Institute of Pathology,

Rockville, Maryland 20850,4 Influenza Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases,

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 303335

Received 19 April 2005/ Accepted 15 June 2005

excerpt-

The HA corresponding to A/New York/1/18 virus was made by mutation of A716G in the A/South Carolina/1/18 HA that coded for a D225G mutation in the protein (Table 1). Human embryonic kidney cells (293T) were transfected with the A/South Carolina/1/18 HA or the A/New York/1/18 HA using Lipofectamine 2000 (Invitrogen).

After 24 h, the 293T cells were treated with 5 mU VCNA to remove sialic acids on the HA which could interfere with the assay, and cells were incubated with 0.5% CRBCs for 30 min at 4°C (20). After a thorough washing, the remaining red blood cells were lysed in 150 µl 20 mM Tris-HCl (pH 7.5), 177 mM NH4Cl for 30 min at 25°C. Absorbance of released hemoglobin at 540 nm was used to quantify the amount of red blood cells bound (18).

Controls include HAs cloned from a

human H3 virus, 

( We concluded that the variation of human H3 gene was associated with swine strains  from : http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?doi=10.1159/000104788 )

A/Moscow/10/99, and

an avian H3 virus, A/duck/Ukraine/1/63.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/79/17/11533?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=%B5g&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=2770&resourcetype=HWFIG#R28

Mary008
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 2:28pm
Glow,

You copied the entire page including the part that says it's prohibited to copy in whole or part. :)

The weird thing in the article is how is says this:

"on July 22 and tested positive for the virus on July 25 when he was admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital. He was discharged on July 28 and recovered completely. His family members did not fall ill."

At the same time it talks about current late Nov. events?
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

Glow,

You copied the entire page including the part that says it's prohibited to copy in whole or part. :)

The weird thing in the article is how is says this:

"on July 22 and tested positive for the virus on July 25 when he was admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital. He was discharged on July 28 and recovered completely. His family members did not fall ill."

At the same time it talks about current late Nov. events?

HeyTech...alot of people.... even wannabe scientists want to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. RC
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 6:38pm

Mary008
Posted: May 12 2009 at 2:52pm

S-OIV  ....    simply the latest strain of H1 hemagglutinin virus which first appeared

in both humans and swine in 1918 and has returned in different variants ever since.

NEJM
New England Journal of Medicine

Triple-Reassortant Swine Virus Seen Since 2005 in US
...............................................................................................

NEJM releases content addressing various issues related to outbreak

THURSDAY, May 7 (HealthDay News)

Eleven cases of infection similar to the swine flu outbreak currently under way -- triple-reassortant swine influenza A (H1) viruses -- have been documented since 2005 in the United States, according to a study led by researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and released May 7 by the New England Journal of Medicine. This study was accompanied by another study, two editorials, and three perspectives focused on the swine flu outbreak.

The NEJM noted that the swine origin influenza virus (S-OIV) that causes the H1N1 flu is simply the latest strain of H1 hemagglutinin virus which first appeared in both humans and swine in 1918 and has returned in different variants ever since.

The S-OIV will continue to mutate in unknown ways

over the coming months and might even replace H1 virus as the seasonal flu virus, evolving new antigenic variants every year, the journal speculated. To further support clinicians, who will be challenged to recognize the disease when it returns, the journal said it will establish an H1N1 Influenza Center at NEJM.org to provide information and links to the latest data on the outbreak.

In an editorial, the NEJM urged clinicians to prepare for the next wave of H1N1 flu in the fall and drug manufacturers to launch an accelerated program to develop a vaccine in time.

"Completing seasonal-vaccine production and adding a monovalent S-OIV vaccine to production will be challenging both technically and in terms of policy, but it can be done," the NEJM editorialized.

Posted: Yesterday at 12:30am

Is this the * Human * Avian * Swine * Connection?
..........................................................................................

Experiments done in 2005...

Journal of Virology, September 2005, p. 11533-11536, Vol. 79, No. 17
0022-538X/05/$08.00+0     doi:10.1128/JVI.79.17.11533-11536.2005
Copyright © 2005, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.

A Single Amino Acid Substitution in 1918 Influenza Virus Hemagglutinin Changes Receptor Binding Specificity

Laurel Glaser,1 James Stevens,2 Dmitriy Zamarin,1 Ian A. Wilson,3 Adolfo García-Sastre,1 Terrence M. Tumpey,5 Christopher F. Basler,1 Jeffery K. Taubenberger,4 and Peter Palese1*
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, Box 1124, New York, New York 10029,1 Department of Molecular Biology,2 Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037,3

Department of Molecular Pathology,

Armed Forces Institute of Pathology,

Rockville, Maryland 20850,4 Influenza Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases,

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 303335

Received 19 April 2005/ Accepted 15 June 2005

excerpt-

The HA corresponding to A/New York/1/18 virus was made by mutation of A716G in the A/South Carolina/1/18 HA that coded for a D225G mutation in the protein (Table 1). Human embryonic kidney cells (293T) were transfected with the A/South Carolina/1/18 HA or the A/New York/1/18 HA using Lipofectamine 2000 (Invitrogen).

After 24 h, the 293T cells were treated with 5 mU VCNA to remove sialic acids on the HA which could interfere with the assay, and cells were incubated with 0.5% CRBCs for 30 min at 4°C (20). After a thorough washing, the remaining red blood cells were lysed in 150 µl 20 mM Tris-HCl (pH 7.5), 177 mM NH4Cl for 30 min at 25°C. Absorbance of released hemoglobin at 540 nm was used to quantify the amount of red blood cells bound (18).

Controls include HAs cloned from a

human H3 virus, 

( We concluded that the variation of human H3 gene was associated with swine strains  from : http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?doi=10.1159/000104788 )

A/Moscow/10/99, and

an avian H3 virus, A/duck/Ukraine/1/63.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/79/17/11533?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=%B5g&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=2770&resourcetype=HWFIG#R28

Mary008

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2023 at 2:22am

Can I reactivate this old story ? 

DJ [url]https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29506617/[/url] or https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29506617/ ;(february 2018)

Abstract

Setting: The true prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) in Ukraine is not known. Available data are a decade old and limited to only one province.

Objective: To determine the prevalence of MDR-TB among new and previously treated TB cases in Ukraine and explore the risk factors associated with drug resistance.

Methods: A total of 1550 sputum smear-positive pulmonary TB patients were recruited from 40 clusters throughout Ukraine. Sputum specimens were examined using culture, drug susceptibility testing and pncA gene sequencing.

Results: The proportion of MDR-TB among new and previously treated TB cases was respectively 24.1% (95%CI 20.7-27.6) and 58.1% (95%CI 52.1-64.1). More than one third (38.0%) of MDR-TB or rifampicin (RMP) resistant cases showed resistance to either a fluoroquinolone (FQ) or a second-line injectable agent or both. Resistance to pyrazinamide and FQs was low in patients with RMP-susceptible TB. Among new TB cases, the odds of MDR-TB were higher among patients who were younger, female and living in south-eastern provinces, as well as among human immunodeficiency virus-positive patients who belonged to a low socio-economic group.

Conclusions: Our study showed that the burden of MDR-TB in Ukraine was much greater than previously assumed. Urgent actions are needed to prevent further spread of drug-resistant TB in Ukraine.

and [url]https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32398197/[/url] or https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32398197/ may 2020;

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To document the level of drug resistance in MDR-TB patients and to characterize management capacities for their medical care and MDR-TB treatment outcomes in the Kharkiv region of Ukraine. This area has one of the highest frequencies of MDR-TB worldwide.METHODS: A retrospective observational cohort study was performed on registry data from the regional anti-TB dispensary in Kharkiv. All microbiologically confirmed MDR-TB patients registered in 2014 were included. Diagnostic, treatment and post-treatment follow-up data were analysed.RESULTS: Of 169 patients with MDR-TB, 55.0% had pre-extensively drug-resistant (pre-XDR) or XDR resistant patterns. Rapid molecular diagnosis by GeneXpert and liquid M. tuberculosis cultures were only available for 66.9% and 56.8% of patients, respectively. Phenotypic drug-susceptibility testing (DST) for high priority TB drugs (bedaquiline, linezolid, clofazimine) were not available. DST for later generation fluroquinolones was available only in 53.2% of patients. 50.9% of patients had less than 4 drugs in the treatment regimen proven to be effective by DST. More than 23.1% of patients with MDR-TB failed their treatment and only 45.0% achieved a cure.CONCLUSION: The high prevalence of MDR-TB and poor MDR-TB treatment outcomes in the Kharkiv region, is associated with substantial shortages in rapid molecular and phenotypic DST, a lack of high priority MDR-TB drugs, poor treatment monitoring and follow-up capacities.

Ukraine has a long lasting problem with respitory infections...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic