Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Could Chaos Be The Norm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could Chaos Be The Norm?
    Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:13am
I noticed this article about the 'criminal' dumping of dead chickens in
Nigeria

http://allafrica.com/stories/200603020397.html

'...The dead birds were packed in over 40 bags and dumped near the
abattoir along Yola-Jimeta road in the state capital by unknown
persons...'

Well this was Nigeria and many predictions of endemics and possible H2H
pandemic starting in just such a place. Nothing here in the West allays
those fears, but what I would ask is this a sign of things to come in the
more affluent nations?

Not just dumping of dead birds, but the breakdown of law and order as a
possible H2H becomes a definite pandemic. The sort of statements
coming from the leadership of US and UK in particular are making me feel
more uneasy now than ever. "You are on your own', 'Dont rely on the
government' are becoming frequent phrases with apparent government
labels attached. Let us face it, armed troops fight wars and protect
national borders. Should they become infected then the nation state's
apparatus of protection becomes weakened. It would not surprise me if
troops are kept in barracks and the central governments rely on the local
forces to 'keep the peace'. Ill troops dont fight wars, sick airmen cant fly
planes. All this is provided the local forces are able and willing to do just
that. Some polls of recent days suggest that up to two thirds of the
emergency services would stay at home with their loved ones. Who could
blame them.

That might quicken the breakdown in law and order and might also lead
to the appearance of local militia and gangs of thugs attempting to take
control. Unlike New Orleans in and after the hurricane, there's nowhere to
run. BF does not respect borders. It does not respect the difference
between an inner city or the rural countryside.

As we approach the inevitable global endemic in birds and the increasing
pandemic in humans we need not only to plan but to act, and to act
responsibly. Let's hope that we do just that.     
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:37am

Yes.
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 11:04am
I'd say the chances of responsible action, once people start getting hungry and the survival instinct kicks in, are slim to none. 
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Tansau View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tansau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 11:45am
An epidemic erodes social cohesiveness because the source of your
danger is your fellow human beings, the source of your danger is your wife,
children, parents and so on. So, if an epidemic goes on long enough, and
the bodies start to pile up and nobody can dig graves fast enough to put the
people into them, then morality does start to break down.

-- Dr. Alfred Crosby, Author, "Epidemic and Peace 1918: America's
Forgotten Pandemic"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:56pm
Good One Tansau !
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 4:07pm
The level of chaos will be defined by where you live and how much people are willing to prepare.

People need to decide right now if they have the capability to take a life if it comes down to it.  People can talk big and all, but when push comes to shove, you need to know how far YOU are willing to take it...then no hesitation.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

nawty
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:48pm

WTSHTF things will be quite chaotic, and could last for quite some time.  But the people that survive will adjust, adapt, go on about their lives - get ready for the next event.  We're animals.  We're programmed to survive.  Things will be very different from what we're used to presently - and there will be a new reality and we will get used to that in time.  These things have happened before, they will happen again.  Look at the birds.  The ones that make it through this will have more food to eat than ever before, less crowded habitats, lower stress bird lives.  Less hunters to shoot them.  Life will be good down the road.  Same for us - though I should caution that IMO the BF is only one of many disasters headed our way.  Pestilence, war, famine, and death.  All mixed together - A real witches' brew.  LOL!

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:56pm

Witches brew or not I will still grieve for the lives that are lost!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:59pm

Bird flu.  La Palma volcano. Yellowstone Super-volcano.  The Gulf Stream shutting down.  Nuclear Iran & N.Korea. 

What did I leave off?  Oh yeah... turning 50.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:14pm

If one takes the large view - earth is barely a speck in the universe.  How important is it really?  Not much on a cosmic level.  How important are we?  Not much.  Things only have value because you think them valuable.  What is the difference between a $1 and a $100 bill.  They are both paper.  One seems more valuable because we decide it so.  How precious is an ant to a human. We step on them all the time without even realizing it.  How important is a human to an ant.  Not much unless they're out to kill you.  You're born - you die.   Maybe you get born again and die again.  Like a cosmic groundhog day.  Some think they know but who really knows.  What's the big deal.  You're either going to make it through this or die try'n.  Yes- grieve for the ones that don't make it - but life will go on.  At least until it ceases for all at some point in the future.  The sun will eventually expand and swallow the earth as it tries to survive the loss of hydrogen.  It's survival could well be our demise if we don't do ourselves in first.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by mightymouse mightymouse wrote:

If one takes the large view - earth is barely a speck in the universe.  How important is it really?  Not much on a cosmic level.

True, but when you have to watch your kids starve because of whatever, your perspective will certainly narrow quite considerably.

nawty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:34pm
I have been at the bedside of my mother when she died, at the bedside of a very close aunt when she died, at the bedside of a close uncle when he died and just missed being with my father when he died.  I have no problem with death.  I believe in life after death - and that death is just a transition - not an ending.  I also believe things happen for a reason.  I also believe in God.  This allows me to lead a rather pleasant worry free life - No matter what happens.  If I die I hope my wife goes out and celebrates our good times together, and doesn't shed a tear.  I'll grant you it's no fun to watch someone die.  But it is a part of life.  It must be dealt with.  Why does it have to be such a negative event.  Only because we think it so. 
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:37pm

I  was just at the range today. My friends and I were enjoying the great weather here in  the OC. My friends were both members of this club though it is open to the public. Several PD is our area use it for tactical training. The National Guard was training there a few weeks ago. Not on this day or you might have heard about in the news.

On this day it was dead quiet, a few guys with rifles target shooting when around  noon. A bunch of gang member types get out of about half a dozen brand new cars get out. Start laying out a bunch of fixed up SKS rifles a slew of handguns and a least four AK47's. It was like a big gang party, lots of holding the guns sideways shooting up the dirt , when a few of them start shooting full auto burst. Not just firing fast. The range master came down and told them no to fire more than one round per second, like he had not heard the full auto burst.

Nothing happened as far as a confrontaion, they did tone it down. I am just telling you these are the type of people you may have to contend with in an emergency. I bet they don't have a days worth of water but they sure have alot of guns. What will they do in a disaster?

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:55pm
I still think many people will be surprised at how many humans try to carry on providing essential services.

I mean it will be messy, and there will be a lot more chaos going on than normal. But if things totally collapse on every level, to the extent of ending up with regional warlors, I think that could only happen in the event of a huge infection/deathrate, not due to people panicing or their survival instincts.

People who have not ammased large stockpiles (most people) will realise that their best chance of survival is to work with other people. People will get bored, people will fear getting fired, people will want to help, do their bit. Not everyone, but some. Governemnts have enough drug stockpiles to offer antiviral prophylaxis (sp?) to various types of 'frontline workers' and whilst this will not convince everyone to show up, it will be enough for some.

I always marvel at how much chaos there is in the world at the best of times. Order is just a very thin layer that somehow survives ontop all the chaos without cracking. In times of war and other terrible strife, humans can indeed find themselves lowered to more primitive means of survival, but the desire to keep things going as best as possible still lives on.

I suspect there will be plenty of occurences during a pandemic which make my above thoughts seem naive and foolish. But when it comes down to the main pillars of society, I do not expect to see permanent chaos or a total collapse of existing power structures. It may look collapsed for a while but Im sure it will emerge with most of the power in the same place as it was before the pandemic. In order for warlords to come to prominence, more is required than just a power vacuum that a pandemic would provide.

People will hate and moan about the government if ther are food shortages and the government cant make it perfect. But they wont overthrow the government if it is providing something, too little food is better than no food.

One of the things I find ironic and that bothers me, is that we are now in a time period where the last of the humans who lived through massive massive strife in most western countries, and indeed many other countries, have died. My mums parents grew their own vegetables, came from an era of saving not borrowing, of rations, and of 'make do and mend' rahter than disposable consumerism. Whether it be bird flu or some other future crisis for humanity, those are skills and experiences that we will need sooner or later, and they wont be alive to help us out. Its great that the internet can compensate for this somewhat, and for the more isolated lives we live today, because those minority who have retained a decent education in the school of surviving without modern amenities, can share the knowledge with people like me who lack many of those skills.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:11pm

I teach and I see daily that critical thinking skills (why should I do what I am told to do) are absent form 90 per cent of these college freshmen. This frightens me profoundly..

Just speculation...They will really go back to the most primitive nature in the event of a really big ISHTF. Many of them will die and as a result of them many others will too.  Unless leaders emerge from the undergrowth.  Sorry for the negativity, bad teaching day...we did critical thinking excercises today.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 8:26pm

elbows - you make some valid points.  Most people are willing to help others in need.  Most people just want to get along, do the right thing.  But also desparate times make people do desperate things.  There will be chaos and there will be a$$holes.  Hopefully when all is said and done the good people come out on top and not the other way round.

stormriderfla - you make a good observation.  IMO a child raised in day care, having both (if both are around) parents working, and no extended family to instill family values and life skills (ie- grandparents living in same house) - and watching a steady diet of MTV-games-etc. - would have a tendency to make a child really, really selfish.  A selfish person has no respect, empathy, sympathy, or desire to help others.  IFSHTF selfish people will turn into negative forces.  It won't be pleasant.  This is why this pandemic will be so very much worse than the 1918 one.  Instead of people getting together to build up it will turn into one massive Katrina experience - screaming, yelling, gimmme, gimmme, chaos.  When people can't get their way they will throw a tantrum and start destroying out of sheer frustration.  I would not want to be anywhere near a city.  I fear the end result will be a very repressive dictatorship.  The United States of America (for your own good) National Prison - "please take a # and stand in line 3 for your potato.  No pushing or you will be shot.  Have a nice day."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:48pm
Mightymouse, prophetic as always. A grand mix of existentialism and
divinity. My kinda pick-n-mix

I live in a city and have imagined being hounded for my potatos by gangs
of gun-weilding drugged up yobs and that's only the neighbours. When
the real criminals get to my part of town it will be flame throwers. 'Move
over potato this human is my burn'. Canibalism even? Would you KFC
your granny? Not really, too tough.

I am now resigned to having to leave this city sometime soon whilst life
goes on in the same polluted albeit stabilised way. It's dirty, noisy but it
buzzes and how I will get on without it remains to be seen. You go to the
country for the birds, etc. What birds? They died of the flu and its coming
after me now!

Nation states like ours are here because we have juriceprudence. Why do
we have that? To protect property mainly. We are losing habeas corpus
here in the UK soon with new terror laws AND they have muted the notion
of trials without juries for terrorist offences. Can you imagine that in
North America? How convenient these new laws will be in the H2H times.
Line up for your potato. What potato? Go straight to jail. What's the
charge? There is no charge just obey. What about bail? There is no bail.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 11:12pm

Quote What will they do in a disaster?

Act like the animals they truly are and probably get shot by someone that's not going to stand for their crap anymore. It happened in New Orleans, it happened in the L.A. Riots, it'll happen even more when the flu comes to town.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 2:40am
If folks are dumping their pet chickens,budgies and parrots on to
the street, I wonder how they will react to people they suspect are ill. Might
be tough to get good service.

206/206523_chicken_mystery_hits_high_street.html">http://
www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/
206/206523_chicken_mystery_hits_high_street.html
mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:30am

When one says "I dumped Granny at the park" they will mean it.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:33am

Harpmandoodle wrote:

Would you KFC your granny?

Now - that's in poor taste.  Bad form all the way round.  Shame - shame.  Right up there with what Jeffrey Dahmer said to Loraina Bobbet - "You gonna eat that?"

Will the sun finally set on an Island Kingdom that at one time - when a vast empire - never saw a sunset.  As England goes so goes the world.  'Hang tough' may become a literal experience for those with wagging tongues.

One potato - two potato - three potato - four  ..........  quoth the Raven - Nevermore!

TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:37am

We can only hypothesize about what life will be like during and after a bird flu pandemic since, most of the U.S. population (except maybe those who have experienced a natural catastrophe like an earthquake or such) have been exposed to any real inconvenience in their lives. Lets face it, most Americans are spoiled. Most people don't have to do without these days. Lets face it, even most of the "underprivilidged" have cell phones. They havnt experienced a depression, a war, a volcano, a tsunami...etc. Will it be Mad Maxx after the fact? How about the "day after"? Once we emerge from our "shelters" what could possibly be waiting for us? I lived in Detroit during the 1967 riots. Scary S*^T. And that was a just racial thing...not even a pandemic. How many of you have driven through a city being shot at? Not many I bet. Every time I go to the store to "prep" I think of that experience; people out of control...the mob mentality, something akin to the period of ignorant and superstitious humanity when we used to stone people or "burn em at the stake". Some join in just for excitement or to gain acceptance of the group at large.  Carefully examine how people react when they are threatened: either physically, or philosophically. My opinion of humanity, seeing it at its lowest level,  was significantly impacted during that time and I have carried that with me all these years. I would love to carry with me a brighter world view and think that all people are "happy, shiney people" with only the best of intentions, always willing to help, and they usually will when their own skins are not in danger, however, I'm a realist; not a reactionary, not a paranoid survivalist but a  lifetime student of sociology. This is why I firmly believe that our government has once again let us down in not more fully explaining the implications of this potential pandemic to the American people. People will "react" out of ignorance and fear and that is exactly where most people are at the moment. Ignorant about this issue. Im not a conspiracy theorist, but I have to really wonder what the intentions of this administration are when it comes to the apparent cover on this issue.  

7Strong View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7Strong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:07am

My sister works with a guy who is from Bulgaria.  He just came back from there and he said it is complete pandimonium.  He said they are trying to keep things hush hush over here (we already know that) but things are very bad over there.  He said it is no longer from birds....    people are catching it from their pets.

I do want to qualify this by saying it is purely hearsay but thought you all would find it interesting.

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:43am
tomMI, i think you expressed it best. i work with the poor inner city people, they know the ropes on how to survive......true story, i usually never buy  take out lunch, but one day bought a subway foot long sand wich, alone in lunch room  started to eat,,another co worker comes in , she  had no lunch,,gave half of the sandwich,which i was happy to do, at this point another worker came , saw us eating, complained she had no lunch sat next to us  all the time moaning and complaining how hungry she was, she fully expected me to give her what was left of a six inch sandwhich, even after i nicely told her i gave half to the other person, she has a job, never shared with me, i never would have asked her to. the point i'm trying to make is , their needs are first, forget manners,society will break down, ......i always have a garden and always bring produce, to share, some take it  everyday and then i hear them tell others they gave it away to some one else, out side our  group of co workers, instead of sharing  with those in the group who did n't get any , they have to grab it up .....   preppers have to decide who they are going to feed ,because once the word gets out  that you got food ect.  those few people you told are going to tell others and  the line out your front is going to multiply and multiply... i have told my small family to stop talknig about it and  we will build a false wall in a few places to hide the supplies    sounds crazy  even to me, but  i cannot feed all my friends and extended family......  that will be the hardist part of my family's survival    roxy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic