Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Nurses answer please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nurses answer please!
    Posted: December 28 2012 at 10:48pm
Are there any nurses on this forum who can explain if hospital rooms are routinely cleaned between patients & how this is done?

I know years ago, nurses had to scrub the bed and bed rails down with soap and water, but I'm concerned that rooms aren't cleaned between patients anymore.

I would love an answer to this question.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 2:50pm
I'll ask my brother. He's a nurse practitioner at Abbott here in Minneapolis. 
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 9:33pm
Elver, I sanitize eveything in the room as soon as a family member gets into it.

I take my own disposable gloves (lots of them) and I purchase the spray and sanitizer wipes hospitals use. Get it off the net. I sanitize the all the hard parts of the bed, intercom first. Then the bed "tray", the phone, the cart the phone is on and the inside of the drawers in this cart. Then I sanitize the sink area all handles anything a person MIGHT touch.

Be sure to get the undersides of everything like the rails and chair arms...etc.. That is where lots of stuff hides.

Then I sanitize the toilet, I spray and/or wipe down all of the floors. Never let patient touch the floor with bare feet nurses drag germs in on shoes. Make sure patient takes off booties or slippers before they get into bed. I had two booties one for walking on floors and one to put on in bed.    '

I sanitze the chairs people sit in I sanitze all shelves. Anything and everything. At one hospital they had chairs that were like outdoor material that had pores in the materal. I found blood on these chairs in the pores. Sprayed and wiped. YUK!

I always asked the nurse to wash/sanitize their hands when they walked into the room or touched my husband. I asked they sanitize the blood pressure cuff before use.

Oh, If there is a computer in the room sanitize the key board and the screen that the nurse touches...every time they use it. Germs, germs, germs!

I NEVER left my husband I slept in the room at all times. I got his water and ice. I did everything I could so that nurses did not have to do it.

WHY did I do all of this...because no person cleaned a room like I did, and you can't believe the dirt and blood I got off of chairs and beds!

You can't depend on the hospital to clean believe me! I did this over 5 times with all the operations my husband had over the years.

LOL, a good friend of mine who was an old army nurse asked me how to sanaitze her husband's hospital room and what I did because my husband NEVER had an infection with all of his operations.

You are the only line of defense especially when it comes to nurses sanitizing their hands.   They just forget and that is when they pass on crap to your family member. Nurses are just human and they forget as they are busy.

Staff who clean really try hard but they have no skin in the game, you have skin in the game your family member.

I am no professional just a germ nut!

P.S. always ask what meds they are giving and what dose. Makes them look and think about it. Many people die because of wrong meds.

Hope this helps!
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 6:11pm
When my mom was in hospitals or nursing homes I sanitized her rooms as well.  I don't feel we should have to do this, but it seems as if too many germs are floating around the hospitals, so it would seem to me that those hospitals aren't being cleaned as they should be.  I still would love to know how hospitals or nursing homes are being cleaned, if at all.

My mother in law is in a nursing home now and they ran out of Kleenex yesterday.  Why couldn't somebody at the nursing home drive to Sam's club and pick up a couple of 8 packs?

I don't know what goes on in these places.  Perhaps nobody takes pride in the work they do anymore.

I also sanitize our hotel rooms. 

By the way, I've heard that one of the germiest things in a hospital can be the doctor's stethoscope and that you should request he or she cleans it before using it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2013 at 7:55pm
Yep, I do hotel rooms also and yes stethoscopes are germy.

No one cares about old people so nursing homes are pits. They use the cheapest help they can. Just had a friends mother have her arm broken and a leg broken in one months time. Poor care!
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 4:28pm
I use to work in a hospital ...as  housekeeper....in the maternity ward, er, or, and xray dept.
we clean everything after each patient. top to bottom under the bed top of the bed the walls windows and floors...i bet they dont clean like that now.

PrepGirl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic