Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

INTERVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INTERVIEW
    Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:02pm

GELLERMAN: Joining me to talk about how to survive a flu pandemic is SophiaZoe. That's her screen name on AvianFluTalk, the chat-room she moderates. Welcome.

SOPHIAZOE: Well, thank you for having me.

GELLERMAN: I see that your online profile describes you as "unabashed free-market capitalist, constitutional watchdog, and Ayn Rand devotee."

SOPHIAZOE: (Laughs) That's me!

GELLERMAN: Are you a survivalist?

SOPHIAZOE: Absolutely not. I'm just an average mother. I'm going to be a first-time grandmother in two months. I'm just an average citizen.

GELLERMAN: So, you're not stockpiling rifles and ammo and that kind of thing?

SOPHIAZOE: Well, I come from a law enforcement background, so we have weapons in the home but that's because of our background. That's not because I'm some sort of whacked-out survivalist.

GELLERMAN: You're not afraid of somebody breaking down your door to get your Tamiflu?

SOPHIAZOE: Well, if they tried they would be surprised.

GELLERMAN: Was there ever a situation like that that happened you said, "Oh, I've got to prepare for the worst?"

SOPHIAZOE: Yes. My family lived through Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Three-fourths of our state was wiped out, and I got to learn how to live in the 19th century instead of the 20th century. We didn't have electricity for ten weeks. And we had well water at the time, so that meant we had no water either. We had paychecks, my husband and I, but we had no money because the banks couldn't open because there was no electricity. We got caught with our pants down and we promised ourselves that we would never ever, ever be caught in that situation again.

GELLERMAN: What kind of special precautions are you taking, if any? Should I buy Tamiflu?

SOPHIAZOE: Well, I bought it. (Laughs) It's better than nothing, but it's not the golden bullet.

GELLERMAN: How much food are you stocking up?

SOPHIAZOE: We have a year's supply of food.

GELLERMAN: A year's supply?

SOPHIAZOE: A year's supply. And here's my reasoning, okay? Computer models show that if a pandemic happens – and that is still in this point and time a big "if" – when we hit the three-month mark then the illnesses and the deaths will start tapering off. Well, we're not going to be able to just pick our lives up where we dropped them off. I mean, I work in the tourist industry. I'm going to be unemployed. So, I bought food not only to get us through the pandemic period, but also the period where I'm going to be unemployed.

GELLERMAN: It seems to me, you know, that you can prepare physically for this. You can have your gas masks and so on. But psychologically, how do you prepare for something like this?

SOPHIAZOE: You can become overwhelmed, you can become depressed, when you're sitting there planning on how to make sure that your children survive. Mothers especially have hard times thinking along those roads. You know, it's like a group hug. I know that sounds so touchy-feely but that's – it's a cyber group hug.

GELLERMAN: Boy, if this comes to pass we're in big trouble.

SOPHIAZOE: If it's bad. It's a toss of the dice. It doesn't have to be bad. But I'd rather be prepared for the worst and hope for the best than hope for the best, then get caught with my pants down, as the saying goes.

GELLERMAN: Well, SophiaZoe, thank you very much.

SOPHIAZOE: Thank you.

GELLERMAN: SophiaZoe is the online identity of the head moderator of the website, AvianFluTalk.com.

Related link:
SophiaZoe’s Avian Flu Chat Room

virusil View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:08pm
golden bullet.........the expression is silver bullet
ignorance.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:13pm
great job  
dee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:15pm

Well thank you soooooooooo very much for pointing out an error I made while I was trying to do a radio interview for the very first friggin' time in my life!

They cut the part where I said that people who point out other's errors and foibles chap my butt though.

Next time we have an interview request I will send them your way.

<SoZo, flips her hair back and huffs off the stage>

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 5:21pm
 Good One SZ!
God Bless us all!
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:05pm
Great job, SZ!!! You go girl! 
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:14pm

You waltzed through that in grand style.

Soooo- you're not a survivalist?  Coulda fooled me.  LOL

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:14pm
 you go girl!!!  rock on!
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:25pm

nice interview,

if only one person takes notice and starts to prep, then it was worth it.

well done

all the animals in the wood teach their children to survive from nature with one exception,
man
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:35pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

MM... no I'm not a survivalist...

just one bad, opinionated, cranky b!tch who just happens to know how to sling lead.

mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:54pm

I don't mean the wacko kind - I mean the 'real kind' ie- Webster's - Survive - To remain alive or in existance.

If it walks like a duck..........................

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
virusil View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:14pm
im happy that you did it,frankly i am used to that ,i was on radio talk show and on tv,the first time was ,,,,,,,aghhhhhhh you knowbut after ....no problem
ignorance.
Falcon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:33pm
excellent job
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:36pm
Great job, SZ!!!!!!

lois View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 8:31pm

Thanks so much for your intelligent, reasonable responses. Good job.-- Lois

Also, adding to preps every day.  I think people are tuning out because they can''t imagine the worst which we're about to experience soon.  The Indonesia articcle today etc. convinces me we must be ready.  Who will be alive --- the paranoid, the Mormons, save us all.  Lois

lois
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:27pm

Great job, and I'm glad it was posted.  I will try to listen in tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it can get it, our reception can get ify during storms, and we are supposed to get one again tomorrow, when it will broadcast about 65 miles from me...So at least I got to read it.  The only other chance was during the week, and I go to bed early because I get up early for work.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:38pm
FYI... if you choose the option to listen to the entire show you can here my clip in full.  It is the second section, right after the section on Swine Flu, the pandemic that never happened.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:04pm

Sz,

First...well done! I read the transcript. Good keeping on point.

Second, thank you for not telling the interviewer to "push off" with the veiled sarcasm questions. I hate wit from an imbicile fledgling journalist. You did us good.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:13pm

GELLERMAN: I see that your online profile describes you as "unabashed free-market capitalist, constitutional watchdog, and Ayn Rand devotee."

SOPHIAZOE: (Laughs) That's me!

Sophia,   

You've gotta love it! 

Not only were you articulate,  informative and very professional... you were entertaining!  Congrats. 

cisne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 5:49am

SZ - great job.

Who is John Galt?  I first met him when I was 20.  Changed my mindset forever.

Thanks for giving such a cogent interview.

In a hundred years, we will all be bald.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 8:12am

SoZo is getting famous...... 

Does anyone know how to upload the audio to this thread so we can create a way for everybody on the forum to listen to it?   Any experts around here? 

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 2:54pm
WELL DONE    
Mickey Mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickey Mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 4:51pm
Nice interview.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 8:46pm
super job SZ!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 4:03am
Belated Congratulations SZ.  Great job on the interview!   

Annie B. View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 7:15am
SZ, I was most impressed with your comments, ref. the interview. We are so lucky to have the likes of you as the Captain of this great Forum Ship.
When future historians look back  (when this soon to be pandemic is a distant memory) your name and this Forum, no doubt, will take center stage. What a treasure trove of information it will be, not the least of which will be tracing the evolution of  this deadly disease.
The lessons that the world will learn,  from the deadly errors we are privy to now,  will possibility result in a new and far better international early warning system.
But, no matter what efforts are taken, public apathy and political posturing will ever be  contributing factors  to the spread of contagious diseases.
I congratulate all those on this Forum, and elsewhere, who take measures to stay informed and prepared, and take the time to share relevant information with others.
Annie B.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 7:42am

Thanks Sophia. Perhaps this will stimulate journalists. There needs to be more news coverage, series of articles, warnings! At work I’ve asked several workers if they’ve heard of H5N1. Out of about 100 people, ONE knew about the Avian Flu but did not feel it was of any concern. Thanks Sophia, keep sharing.

Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 12:14pm

SZ - so "whacked out survivalists", who prepare their familiies for all kinds of eventualities are somehow crazy and people who prepare for just one thing are somehow better?  Time to rethink that one.

I prefer the first group by far.

Those who live in glass houses........

Time to take the blinders off girl!   Otherwise the interview was pretty good.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 12:27pm

Well Thor,

I'm sorry you took offense.  They were looking for someone who was a survivalist as in "bunkered in awaiting Armaghedon".  I am not that.  I am an average citizen.  I choose to believe that we can reach more people and bring them to our way of prepping by being reasoned and logical.

To each his/her own though.  BTW: Have you dug your bunker yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic