Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > New emerging Diseases / Flu Tracking > MERS Coronavirus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Middle-East coronavirus has a new name...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middle-East coronavirus has a new name...
    Posted: May 17 2013 at 8:52pm
The novel coronavirus that has afflicted Saudi Arabia and other countries is now officially called MERS-CoV.

To provide uniformity and facilitate communication about the disease, the Coronavirus Study Group of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses has decided to call the new virus Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). 

CRS, DrPH
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 9:56pm
Thanks - it is good to see that this is a WHO announcement so I presume that they will also adopt the name instead of the nCoV that they have been using.

Personally I would have liked a name with 'bat' in it such as "Bat-SARS".Wink 
CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

Thanks - it is good to see that this is a WHO announcement so I presume that they will also adopt the name instead of the nCoV that they have been using.

Personally I would have liked a name with 'bat' in it such as "Bat-SARS".Wink 

LOL  Well said!  Actually, from what I am reading, it might be "Camel SARS"!  There are damn few mammals in that ecosystem to begin with, so your guess is as good as anyone's!  
CRS, DrPH
NewCorona View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewCorona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 9:00pm
Like the SARS virus, MRES-CoV is most silimilar to those found in Bats.: http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/overview.html

CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 4:53am
Originally posted by NewCorona NewCorona wrote:

Like the SARS virus, MRES-CoV is most silimilar to those found in Bats.: http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ncv/overview.html

"No animal reservoir or mode of zoonotic transmission has yet been identified for MERS-CoV although the similarities to bat coronaviruses make bats a likely source, specifically insectivorous species such as Pipistrellus. However, experience with SARS indicates that the exposure may not be directly from bats but can result from environmental contamination or via intermediary animal hosts [9]."

http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/risk-assessment-middle-east-respiratory-syndrome-coronavirus-MERS-CoV-17-may-2013.pdf

....My money is on "intermediary animal hosts."  Like the civet cat during the SARS outbreak, I think the MERS-CoV is in the ecosystem, and it seems unlikely to me that so many cases in the Middle East would have intimate contact with bats, although, like SARS, the MERS-CoV might spread by aerosol (bat guano).  

CRS, DrPH
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 5:50am
Well, we added MERS to this forum name once again.  We originally changed the name to MERS the same day the virus received its new name, but removed it a couple days later when it appeared that the WHO and health officials were not going to use that new name as they had still referred to it as coronavirus. So we will add it again now. 
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 11:31am
A ProMED-mail post

http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org

Date: Sat 18 May 2013
From: Omar abdul hadi <omarabdulhadi96@gmail.com> [edited]

Coronavirus , Jordan, suspected transmission source
---------------------------------------------------
I noticed a large string of cat flu going around. The vet said it was a common case of cat flu; it was a severe respiratory illness, symptoms point to common cat flu. We cured those we could but many died. This occurred around December [2012], and they where all stray cats.

I write this to bring to light a possible coronavirus [MERS-COV] vector in Jordan. No one has caught the disease from the cats but it is better to be safe than sorry. Cats should be tested as carriers.

--
Omar Abdul Hadi
Jordan
<omarabdulhadi96@gmail.com>

[The _Coronaviridae_ is a very diverse group of viruses. A worldwide, well known disease-entity caused by a coronavirus in cats is feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). FIP virus is an _Alphacoronavirus_. The novel "Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus" (MERS-CoV), detected in human patients in several Middle Eastern countries, including Jordan, belongs to a different genus, namely _Betacoronavirus_.

So far, no animal species has been found as the maintenance host or vector of MERS-CoV. Bats have been mentioned as possible candidates (see ProMED-mail posting 20130122.1508656). Later, a 73-year-old male patient from Abu-Dhabi, who died in a hospital in Munich, Germany on 26 Mar 2013, was reported by a German physician to have been exposed to a sick camel, one of his racing camels (see posting 20130405.1623188). We are not aware of further investigations carried out to check the significance of that possible exposure and its accuracy (the camel was, reportedly, alive at the time of reporting). Any added information on the matter will be welcomed.

As suggested by Omar Abdul Hadi, investigators may consider including cats in the surveillance. - Mods.CP/AS]

Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 11:34am
Should post this is latest news
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 5:28am
WHO has started to use the new name  Clap

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2013_05_23_ncov/en/index.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic