Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Pascal’s Wager

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pascal’s Wager
    Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:10am
Many of you are familure with the argument. 

However, I will change it slightly so maybe some of the new members who may not understand why so many are preparing for a possible disaster situation.

You prepare and there is a Pandemic = You are covered
You prepare and there is no pandemic = You are still ok
You don't prepare and there is no pandemic = You are ok
You don't prepare and there is a pandemic = You are totally screwed

Now that puts those that prepare in the best possible situation where those that do not are making a sort of wager with thier future.

If you have come to the conclusion that no pandemic will happen and feel confident in your decision, well very good for you.  We all must live and die by our decisions every day and it is no different for BF.

However, you should ask those who did not get on the bus in New Orleans when the experts said the big one was comming, if they still think that was a good decision.

Just my .02
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:26am

Looking at this another way...

Say the odds of each of the 4 scenarios is roughly equal.

Whether or not I prep, there is a 75% chance I will be ok, and a 25% chance I will be in deep doo doo.

If I prep, there is a 100% chance I will be ok.

If I don't prep, there is a 50% chance I will be in deep doo doo.

Now, replace "I" in the above with "my mate and kids".

What's your acceptable level of risk, and what is it worth to you?  A little time and effort, a few dollars here and there, a little less disposable income for 2-3 months?  Doesn't sound like such a bad investment now, does it?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:27am
Hobby View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:27am
Very well said DarlMan........
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 7:30pm

brusso1 says:

If I prep, there is a 100% chance I will be ok.

You did not consider the BF factor in your reasoning.  All the prepping in the world will do you no good if you croak from the BF.  But prepping is definitely superior to not prepping. 

Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:34pm

MM -

Too true!  Nothing's 100%, nothing.  The Titanic was "unsinkable" and sunk on her maiden voyage.  All one can do is play the odds, and I like the odds better the more prepped I get.  Who was it that said, "fortune favors the prepared"?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 2:47am
Darlman said everthing.What else is there to be said .Get ready now and sit back and watch!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic