Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Parents Pull Kids From Dallas Schools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parents Pull Kids From Dallas Schools
    Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:21pm
DALLAS — Parents rushed to get their children from school Wednesday after learning five students may have had contact with the Ebola victim in a Dallas hospital, as Gov. Rick Perry and other leaders reassured the public there is no cause for alarm.

The patient, identified by The Associated Press as Thomas Eric Duncan of Liberia, arrived in the U.S. on Sept. 20 to visit family. Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Zachary Thompson said county officials suspect 12 to 18 people may have come in contact with Duncan.

"Right now the base number is 18 people, and that could increase," he said. Thompson said more details are expected by Thursday afternoon. The number includes five students at four different schools, Dallas school district Superintendent Mike Miles said.

“This case is serious,” Perry said at a press conference in Dallas at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where Duncan is being treated. “Rest assured that our system is working as it should. Professionals on every level on the chain of command know what to do to minimize this potential risk to the people of Texas and of this country.”

Miles said DISD officials learned Wednesday morning that five students at four different schools — Tasby Middle School, L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary School, Dan D. Rogers Elementary and Conrad High School — had come in contact with Duncan. Lowe Elementary is also being watched because it connects to Tasby.

“Since none of the students had symptoms, I’m pretty confident that none of the kids were exposed,” Miles said.

At L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary, parents pulled their children out of school early Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m scared,” said parent Kia Collins, who has four children at the school ages 5-11. “I may keep them home all week.”

DISD officials said they planned to have counselors and translators reaching out to parents — 32 languages are spoken just at Conrad High School.

“That’s one of the reasons we're here is we don't want misinformation getting out there,” Miles said. “We found out this morning and then we had a press conference.”

He urged parents to keep their children in school, but some were wary. Marcie Pardo said she picked up her 8-year-old daughter, Soriah, within minutes of being notified by school officials.

“To find out this is a school where it is happening, what are the odds?” Pardo said. “I’m sure there could have been some kind of contact somewhere.”

A letter to parents of children at Hotchkiss, 6929 Town North Drive, said the school was notified Wednesday that “one of our students may have had contact with an individual who was recently diagnosed with the Ebola virus.”

The letter goes on to say the student is not showing symptoms, has been told to stay home from school and is under observation by the Dallas County Health and Human Services Department.

“... There is nothing to suggest that the disease was spread to others, including students and staff,” the letter says.

The Ebola virus is not spread through the air, but through contact with bodily fluids of victims — sweat, blood, saliva and other secretions

Dallas victim carried Ebola patient in Liberia

When Duncan arrived in the U.S., he was not showing any symptoms, officials said.

But the New York Times reported Wednesday that he had contact with an Ebola patient on Sept. 15, four days before he left Liberia for the United States, according to the parents of the woman who had Ebola and Duncan’s neighbors in Liberia.

Marthalene Williams, 19, was taken by taxi to a hospital with Duncan’s help on Sept. 15 after failing to get an ambulance, her parents, Emmanuel and Amie Williams told The Times, as she was convulsing and seven months pregnant.

Duncan was a family friend and a tenant in a house owned by the Williams family. He rode in the taxi in the front passenger seat while Williams, her father and her brother, Sonny Boy, shared the back seat, her parents said. Duncan helped carry Williams, who was no longer able to walk, back to the family home that evening, neighbors said.

“He was holding her by the legs, the pa was holding her arms and Sonny Boy was holding her back,” said Arren Seyou, 31, who witnessed the scene and occupies the room next to Duncan’s in Monrovia.

Just like Duncan, Sonny Boy, 21, became ill about a week ago, his family said.

An ambulance came to their house on Wednesday to pick up Sonny Boy. A woman and her daughter from the same area were also picked up by an ambulance while a team of body collectors came to retrieve the body of yet another woman. The Times reported all four appeared to have been infected from a chain reaction that began with Marthalene Williams.

Reuters and other media outlets reported that Duncan traveled through Brussels on his way to the U.S.

A Belgian official told the news service that Duncan left Monrovia, Liberia, on Sept. 19 aboard a Brussels Airlines jet to the Belgian capital. After layover of nearly seven hours, he boarded United Airlines Flight 951 to Dulles International Airport near Washington, D.C. After another layover of nearly three hours, he then flew Flight 822 from Dulles to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, the airline confirmed.

The CDC typically notifies an airline when it learns that an infectious person traveled on that carrier. The airline then turns over the flight manifest to the CDC, and health officials notify other passengers while the airline deals with crew members.

In this case, the CDC told United but not the public what flights the man took. In an interview Wednesday with the Associated Press, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the CDC, suggested that doing so would divert public health resources away from controlling an outbreak. He said the CDC was focused on finding and tracking anyone who came in contact with Duncan after he began showing symptoms.

The Associated Press reported that Duncan’s sister, Mai Wureh, says her brother went to the Dallas emergency room on Friday and was sent home with antibiotics. She says he told her hospital officials asked for his Social Security number and he said that he didn’t have one because he was visiting from Liberia.

Texas Health Presbyterian spokespeople maintained Wednesday that the hospital acted appropriately.

“He was not exhibiting symptoms consistent with keeping him. If the person is not exhibiting the symptoms there would be no reason to keep them,” Texas Health Resources spokesman Wendell Watson said. “That’s a judgment call one of the carriers would have to make. We are following up as well as the CDC and Texas Department of State Health Services.”

Another Texas Health Resources spokesperson, Candace White, released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying, in part, that when Duncan arrived Friday, “the patient presented with low grade fever and abdominal pain. His condition did not warrant admission.”

Duncan was listed in serious condition Wednesday, White said in a statement.

The Dallas Fire-Rescue ambulance crew who transported the patient has been quarantined, and the ambulance taken out of service, according to a statement from the city of Dallas. But the children and other who came in contact with Duncan have not been quarantined. None of the paramedics in the ambulance tested positive for Ebola, Thompson said.

Clay Jenkins, Dallas County judge, said county officials are following the lead of the CDC. If the people who came in contact with Duncan did not isolate themselves, more serious steps could be taken, Jenkins said.

Jenkins said county health officials would be “the boots on the ground” to get out the message to residents of the neighborhood where the victim had been. But many people in that neighborhood, Vickery Meadow in northeast Dallas, said they had only learned about the Ebola case from the hordes of reporters combing through the area.

Statewide health alert issued to providers

Dallas County officials, who have not identified the patient as Duncan, said that the case is the only known occurrence of the deadly virus as of Wednesday.

Tarrant County Public Health officials said Wednesday there were no confirmed cases in Tarrant County.

“We are closely monitoring the Ebola case in Dallas. There are no cases or known contacts in Tarrant County at this time,” said Tarrant County Public Health Director Vinny Taneja. “We feel confident that residents in our community are safe.”

The Texas Department of State Health Services on Wednesday issued a health alert outlining Ebola criteria that providers should watch for as they evaluate patients.

Doctors and nurses should look for fever higher than 101.5 degrees coupled with severe headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain or unexplained hemorrhaging, the alert says.

Patients who have those symptoms and who also have been in contact with someone believed to have Ebola or have been in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea or Nigeria in the past 21 days should be considered a person under investigation and should be tested for the disease, the alert says.

The alert notes that the virus does not generally spread through air, water or food, except in Africa, where handling or eating raw bushmeat can spread it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday that a team of 10 experts had arrived in Dallas to assist local officials.

The team includes three senior scientists with expertise in public health investigations and infection control, five epidemic intelligence service officers, a public health adviser and a communications officer.

“We are stopping Ebola in its tracks in this country,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden said in a press release “We can do that because of two things: strong infection control that stops the spread of Ebola in health care; and strong core public health functions to trace contacts, track contacts, isolate them if they have any symptoms and stop the chain of transmission. I am certain we will control this.”

Ebola has infected a few Americans who traveled to West Africa, including Dr. Kent Brantly, who did his residency at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. Brantly, who survived, was doing missionary work in Liberia when he was infected. A spokesperson at Samaritan’s Purse, for whom Brantly was working, said Wednesday he is not releasing any statement about the Dallas case.

Staff writers Elizabeth Findell, Monica Nagy, Susan Schrock and Judy Wiley contributed to this report, which includes material from The Associated Press.

More information
Timeline for Dallas Ebola case

The first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States flew from Liberia, federal health officials said. The unidentified man, who traveled to Dallas to visit family, is being treated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Sept. 19: Departs from Liberia

Sept. 20: Arrives in the United States

Sept. 24: Begins having symptoms

Sept. 26: Seeks medical care

Sept. 28: Hospitalized and put in isolation

Sept. 30: Tests positive for Ebola

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/01/6165611/officials-say-only-one-ebola-case.html
"And then there were none."
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:34pm
Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles also revealed that five children from four of the district's campuses were possibly exposed to the virus.

Miles identified the schools as:

•Conrad High School
•Tasby Middle School
•Hotchkiss Elementary School
•Dan D. Rogers Elementary School

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/01/thompson-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:36pm
I would pull my kid.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:37pm
I guess that depends on the kid!
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by drumfish drumfish wrote:

I would pull my kid.

I would pull mine, to0.
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 8:33pm
Why is this beginning to remind me of Ryan White? I hope we have learned something since then.

Remember a similar situation occurred recently in Nigeria and it was stopped dead in it's tracks by medical intervention and will also be done in Texas.

Deep breaths people...
Interested....
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 9:03pm
OK... I took a few deep breaths. Ebola is not the same monkey as HIV. Apples to coconuts. Bless Ryan's dear little heart though. I'd take my son out. At least for the next few days until we have a better understanding of how his child contacts are faring -if of course my child attended one of the effected schools.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 9:20pm
So prairie 1 are you saying that Ebola is no more transmittable than HIV. I am just trying to follow your statement here, that's what it sounds like. Maybe I am misunderstanding could you elaborate?
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 9:56pm
There was ignorance surrounding the transmission of HIV. This isn't the same in my opinion... if I get exposed to Ebola I have at best a 50% chance of surviving.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:00pm
18 does not sound like a "handful" to me.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:01pm
I think there is also ignorance surrounding the transmission of Ebola.

Ryan was ostracized and socially rejected. I hope we have learned something from from that.

Think my post was pretty clear.
Interested....
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:05pm
When Ryan was infected the odds were much worse than 50% survival... It was basically a death sentence which proved to be true for one young boy who was rejected and ostracized in the face of ignorance about how AIDS (not HIV) was spread.
Interested....
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:24pm
I understand your point and to some degree I agree. And in some ways there are similarities. But this isn't about stigmatizing these kids. It's about avoiding potentially coming in contact with an extremely deadly germ that is known to be spread via casual contact. In Ryan's case it was unwarranted. In this case the fear and precautions are not unreasonable at least in the very short term.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:44pm
Thanks for affirming your response. For myself and family I will happily socially reject people suspected of being exposed to Ebola until their cleared of quarantine. I believe it is called social distancing during a pandemic. That's a self preservation kind of thing. At the first sign of potential outbreak at my child's school I would pull my child out. In this case the identified kids are being pulled out because its a contagious disease that kills people. I would not take any extra chance with my child. Its pretty clear this is different than HIV as hospitals are isolating infected. But hey to each their own you are free to send your kids to a school with Ebola in it that's your prerogative. I will be happy to be an Ebola biggot. I truly hate the fact that my government and fellow countrymen/women are so eager to facilitate its arrival and spread to our shores.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 11:16pm
At the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, although it was clear transmission took place through contact with body fluids, many, out of ignorance, thought sitting next to someone with the virus could infect them.

I would not put my child in danger knowingly and doubt that anyone would so let's be clear that which ever side of this argument one comes down on, we all want to protect those we love.

I don't know which country you are from drumfish, but your statement that your government is eager to spread this virus seems just a tad over the top at best.
Interested....
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 11:41pm
You can sit next someone with ebola if you want, I think I will pass on that.
As I understand it tears, sweat, sneezing, coughing, sharing a soda, hugs, etc. Doesn't spread HIV. I am not convinced we can say the same for Ebola. Maybe you could show me that I am wrong. I would love to learn that I am wrong, as I am sure many on aft would be. Until then I will error on the side of considering Ebola really bad news and to be avoided at all cost.

Failing to establish a quarantine for travelers from a region with a raging epidemic meets my definition of governments eager to import a deadly pathogen.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 3:54am
I have already discussed this with my circle of friends.  Those that come to my farm AFTER it reaches our shores will be welcome to stay and SIP but will be expected to observe strict quarrantine protocols for 25 days.  There will be a tent city in my barns!

I will wait until there is at least a rumour of it hitting my county before removing my daughter from school, as education is so valuable.  But rumour will be enough.  I do not want to wait for test results.  If/when rumours are proved false then she can return.

We have sat down and made detailed plans.

It is still much too early to panic, but make the plans and do the preps.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 4:57am
It is still much too early to panic, but make the plans and do the preps.

True Techno...I think that the wife and I will decide to SIP when we here that cases start to appear hear in the state of New york, USA..
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 5:39am
Prairie One you obviously have a great big ole heart & feel compassion for these kids.  I think that's great & am glad there are people like that in the world.  No one would want you to change that at all. 

I don't see that any kids were or are being treated like Ryan White.  This seems different to me.  No child has been singled out.  I'm sure the parents of those kids who are in "isolation" are terrified right now... probably taking their child's temp every half hour.  I'm sure these kids if they are younger are confused maybe scared or if they are very young probably have been told school is closed for a bit don't worry.  Older kids of course know what's going on & I'm sure their parent's #1 priority is to comfort them & reassure them as best they can.  I'm just not seeing the alienation. 

As for the parents that have taken their kids out of the school... well they are right to do so... ebola can be left on surfaces such as door knobs, desks, water fountains, etc.

Ebola is deadly.  There are a few people who are swearing that it's airborne and there are remarks to counter that... but it's not completely out of ignorance, there is some bases to it.  Other than people maybe thinking it's airborne I don't see any other ignorance associated with it.  You can not touch a person with symptomatic ebola and assume safety, chances are you just exposed yourself.  That was not the case with HIV/AIDS/Ryan.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 5:42am
They should close the schools and disinfect.  All it takes is one super spreader among the 5 kids, or just one infectious case prior to displaying symptoms.  I'm not convinced that 1 in 5 (of the kids) are not capable of being infectious prior to symptoms.   No doubt that a certain percentage of cases are infectious prior to symptoms.  To what degree is unknown.

I would pull kids out of those schools without hesitation.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 5:56am
Totally agree Albert!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:02am
i would block directly the 4 schools for at least 2 weeks. and say all those kids to stay home(the parents are already terified anyway sending their kids there and not knowing anything for sure). THis would be the healthiest way to get over this problem without having to fear big consecquences. better block in an overreaction first and all second contacts, than wait to see and observe if it might have been transmitted and only after that taking action. 

The first cases where it appeared in december were taken to easy and now we see the consequences. if people act to soft now... in 2 month it will be too late and everyone will point this moments as they qould see bad decisions that lead to bigger problems.

better act hard in the very beginning than trying to stop it later. NOW is the time to act.. in 2/3 weeks if we have more cases the problem will be much higher and difficult to contain.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:17am
They aren't trying to contain it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 7:07am
Ryan White probebly should not have been put back in school as he was. To satisfy the PC of the people. The stigma he bore was unnecessary and only added insult to his injury. I am a Ryan White of sorts -if of a lesser extent. I've been suffering the stigma for a quarter century. I still can't imagine how bad it must have been for him. If he were my child I would not have put him in such a setting in order to protect him, physically and emotionally. Those who choose to remove their children from school over ebola are only doing the same thing.
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 8:02am
If Ryan White had WANTED to return to school, I would have let him. Ryan's HIV status was not a direct threat to any other kid in school. And now, after most of the early ignorance and fear of HIV/AIDS had been dispelled, we can clearly see that there is no danger of being around or interacting with people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS.

Ebola is a different matter entirely. Unlike AIDS (which is sexually transmitted), Ebola can be easily transmitted through body fluids, without having sex. Symptoms of Ebola appear within 21 days, and the fatality rate is as high as 90%.

People are living with HIV without ever developing AIDS, and even people with AIDS are living longer lives, thanks to anti-viral medications and such.
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 8:56am
I would pull my kids. This thing is highly contagious in some ways... for example sweat.. and kids sweat and swap germs. School is the place kids get sick and Ebola is nothing to mess with. It's not stigmatizing anyone when you are logically and sensibly taking precautions to protect the little ones that you love dearly.

Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:13am
I would pull my kids. This is nothing to mess with. The front page of the NY Times this morning had a pic of a 4 year old girl in monrovia dying on the floor in her own fluids...this isnt HIV or AIDS.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

They should close the schools and disinfect.

Yep, totally agree. They do that to cruise ships after norovirus outbreaks, and that's the kind of thing I'd like to think they automatically fall back on if cases are not initially isolated.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 6:05pm
Just posted by ABC News's Facebook page: JUST IN: Student who had previous contact with Ebola patient attended school for part of the day Wednesday, Dallas Independent School District says; the student attended Tasby Middle School
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 2:26am
Trusting that the school district knows best when to send your child home to protect them is folly. Let alone the fact that some parents will knowingly send their children to school no matter what is wrong (or may be wrong) with them. Its like saying its my job to send them, the school can decide if they need to go back home, besides I have got to go to work or whatever. True story, a guy i worked with talking about his x wife and two girls after school called him.. What? You knew they had head lice and sent them to school? Well I did see the lice when getting them ready for school. So why didn't you keep them home and treat them? Well I would have to tell the school why I was keeping them home. I didn't want them to think we are dirty...
I have known parents who would send kids with strep and a fever "well I just gave them some Tylenol, as long as they don't have a fever they can go"...
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 5:14am
Just this week (Monday) a little boy in my daughters class threw up twice both times all over the floor (duh! where's the trash can) anyway, he went home early that day, then there he was back in school the very next day on Tuesday.  Threw up once all over his desk.  Am not sure if he went home early that day.  Then on Wednesday, yes he was there again, he threw up a little bit at lunch so says my 10 yr old.  Then yesterday Thursday, I asked her if Carter was back at school & she said yes (well of course he was) and she said he didn't throw up but didn't play either.  Thanks parents for sending your kid to school with a possible stomach virus so that mine can catch it & we can have sleepless nights while she barfs round the clock.

There are varies reasons why parents do this.  Work, no family or friend support, etc... but there are a few who just don't want to deal with their kid & use school as a babysitter.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 5:19am

Duncan's family are under "strict quarantine" or as someone else here called it house arrest.  Because they left the apartment when they were told not to & they sent their kids to school when they were told not to.  I'm confused.  One report shows they take the initiative & try to get help even call the CDC then next thing you know they are doing something as stupid as breaking a quarantine order & sending their kids to school!!  Makes no sense.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 5:28am
So, why are quarantine orders not enforced?  With all america's rescources, tagging, police surveilance etc. you would think the CDC could at least manage this one.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 6:51am
Duck-in knew he was infected or at minimum exposed and his American family had to have known this as well because the deaths in Africa he just left behind is big family news. They all must have known about this. And still alowed him to come here into close quarters with children. I don't believe any of these fools about anything theyre saying. Their extremely reckless actions over there are spilling over here now.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 7:48am
AP got photos of custodians in full white hazmat suits cleaning the school(s).

Nice message to send to parents: "It is safe to send your kids to this school, but we need protective gear including masks and goggles for our employees just to be in the school"

Dallas schools alert parents to Ebola concerns
Demond Fernandez, WFAA 11:32 p.m. CDT October 1, 2014
Five students from four campuses may have had contact with a patient who was diagnosed with Ebola
1001_disd_hazmat01

Janitorial teams wearing hazmat uniforms disinfected classrooms and hallways at Lowe Elementary School in Dallas.(Photo: Taka Yokoyama / WFAA)
CONNECT 2 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

DALLAS — A group of custodians dressed in white hazmat suits could be seen through the doors of Lowe Elementary School Wednesday night, going from room to room and carefully cleaning the halls.

The extra attention was part of the plan announced by Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles after he issued an Ebola awareness letter at four campuses.

"I'm very worried," said Maria Gonzalez as she picked up her children from Hotchkiss Elementary School. She received one of the awareness letters from a teacher. "Very worried."

Moms and dads with students at the four Dallas ISD schools were worried after the school district announced five unidentified students may have had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who was diagnosed with the Ebola virus in Dallas this week.

"One of the teachers, the secretaries, that I talked to said it's not serious," Lashundra Johnson said as she picked up her son from Tasby Middle School. "But it is serious... it's very serious."

As some parents rushed to pick up their children from school, Miles made the rounds to Hotchkiss Elementary, Rogers Elementary, Tasby Middle and Conrad High schools. He was advising parents and staff that the five students who may have been exposed to Ebola are now at home being monitored by doctors from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Ebola and students

Health officials said students who attend five Dallas schools were exposed to a man who came to the U.S. with the Ebola virus.(Photo: WFAA)

Miles said the possibility of contracting Ebola is very low, but the school district is making several changes at the four campuses out of an abundance of caution.

"We have additional nurses on staff so if the students feel like they have a question about their health — or the parents do — they can come in and get their questions answered."

Over the next few weeks, Dallas ISD is also keeping extra custodians on staff to disinfect the impacted schools.

"It's just to do a second wipe-down, just like we do with West Nile or avian flu," Miles explained.

Some parents believe the school district is doing all it can right now. However, many moms and dads say they will be expecting more information from the Dallas ISD to ensure their own children are safe.

Dallas ISD administrators are encouraging parents to continue sending their children to school this week. The district has set up a recorded hotline to provide updates: 972-925-5810.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/education/2014/10/02/dallas-isd-ebola-letter-schools-rogers-hotchkiss-conrad-tasby/16570719/
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
OriginalHappyCamper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OriginalHappyCamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 7:58am
Well Said Pheasant, I will nominate you for the head of the CDC as you appears to have some common sense. Which appears to be lacking in the leadership of the USA. Nothing but political hacks running this country out of book written by Sal.

We are in deep poo poo at this time in our history. I see a revolt in the making as the MSM appears to be turning on the leadership.
Debbie NC View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 1:59am
Cudo Albert, I have been gone a long time, good to know your always on the job. I stand in total agreement with you.  When fighting for life, PC ends. We have learned so much here. I have been posting on any site I am a current member of, the things I learned here years ago. How fast it all comes back. I can counter this BS media snow job with ease in my posts, thanks to Albert and the genius of this site that has educated so many. My nerves will not allow me to be on here unless there is a confirmed threat,I found I have a hard enough time dealing with what is proven and must refrain for my own sake on speculation.

Now there is a time and place for everything a time and a purpose unto heaven. Now is the time to think and speculate, Ebola is real, it is in the world and on our shores. Speculation can save lives now, in that often it is the only way to anticipate the next move.

I have moved on due to the profound influence of this site into some ministry work. Those of us long ago   trained in here are out there, teaching, and sending folks this way, to find truth.  I hope others return and that many more will start a journey here that ends in them being more educated and more aware, and prayerfully we dodge yet one more bullet. Gods Love to all, especially Albert. XO Debbie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic