Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Virulent flu in New Zealand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virulent flu in New Zealand
    Posted: October 14 2015 at 12:42pm
So I got sick last week and went to the doctors. On my second visit I was seen by nurse who told me that there is a particularly nasty flu (strain B) going around the Canterbury area (South Island, New Zealand). She told me it is resistant to the flu jab and in about half the cases it turns to bronchitis after about a week so they are not handing out antibiotics until then.

She also said she thought we were the first area to have this nasty strain and she thought they would end up naming it after us. 

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 11:48am
My daughter has had strain B here in the States before & she had a really rough time of it.  I always thought it was because we got the flu shot too early that season, got it in September & she came down with strain B the following February.
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 4:44am
    Here in the USA I am happily already awaiting the arrival of the Brisbane type B strain as it was not included in the trivalent vaccine, and the hospital I work for mandates shots, then is too cheap to pay for the quadvalent vaccine where Brisbane B is included.   Australia got creamed by Brisbane B. Your vaccine failure was probably not due to getting it in September (though that is always unwise, you loose a third of the antibodies after four months, except if you are over 65, you loose nearly all after 90 days.)  The problem is that the virus mutates or switches too fast for the obsolete 1940's technology, EGGS, still used for most flu vaccines.       Your type B you got was probably never included.
      So I will keep my bottle of emergency elderberry extract ready, I am not going to get another flu shot.  B Canterbury now?  Just great.  John L.
John L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic