Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Tin Can Alley Cuisine - your fav recipes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tin Can Alley Cuisine - your fav recipes!
    Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:40am
Using ONLY non-perishable items, what dishes have you prepared from dehydrated & tin can foods that genuinely taste good?

Please share your recipe in this messagethread.

==============================================
CHILI RAMEN & BEANS

1 can of chili beans
2 packages chili-flavor ramen noodles

Drain "most" of the liquid out of a can of chili beans and place the rest of the contents into your cooking pan. Add about a cup & a half, (or so) of water. Break up the ramen noodles and add to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for maybe five minutes or so.... until the noodles are the consistency you like and most of the liquid gone.

Delicious!
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:47am
CREAMED TUNA

1 - can Campbell's Country Style Cream Gravy
1 - small can of sweet peas
1 - can of tuna fish

Drain the peas, drain the tuna fish and combine with the cream gravy in your cooking pan. Heat, (don't boil) - and serve over rice OR bread OR toast OR potatoes OR broken crackers -- we were amazed by how tasty this is!
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 9:00am

tuna noodle casserole (stove top, oven or dutch oven)

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can of tuna
1 cup or so of elbow or shell mac (cooked)

mix soup and tuna into cooked noodles, heat until warm. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Daydreamer Daydreamer wrote:

tuna noodle casserole (stove top, oven or dutch oven)

<FONT style=": #222222">1 can cream of mushroom soup1 can of tuna1 cup or so of elbow or shell mac (cooked)

<FONT style=": #222222">mix soup and tuna into cooked noodles, heat until warm. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Thank you, Daydreamer!

This was absolutely delicious, and very quick to make on the stove top. When I tried out your recipe, I only added enough water to cook the macaroni, so I had to stir frequently and add a bit more water a couple few times. I added a drained can of green beans to the soup/tuna/noodles and the resulting dish makes a very tasty nutritious lunch.
NotNadine View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotNadine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:06am

I don't normally like Ramen but sometimes I can find the Lime Shrimp flavor and I thnk that might be good with some of those little canned shrimp mixed in. What veg would go good with it though? hmmmm......

Asparagus tips? Baby peas?

Not with a bang but a whimper.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by NotNadine NotNadine wrote:

I don't normally like Ramen but sometimes I can find the Lime Shrimp flavor and I thnk that might be good with some of those little canned shrimp mixed in. What veg would go good with it though? hmmmm......

Asparagus tips? Baby peas?

I'm not familiar with the LIME-shrimp ramen, but for those who really like the taste of shrimp, the small cans are a great addition to Shrimp Ramen, and also to Campbell's Cream of Shrimp soup.

I'm not fond of shrimp, so don't particularly like either concoction, but have fed both items to family members and they've liked both of them. But it's not something I'd serve to a friend, LOL - and those are the kind of recipes I'm trying to collect, ones that are taste-tested and taste GOOD, not merely edible, or "good enough" if you are starving.

That's the problem with so many "survival" recipes - they taste atrocious, and for people with children or seniors or finicky eaters, that is going to be a problem --- much less those who are ill, maybe even seriously ill with bird flu and being doctored in the home, with no professionals and/or hospitals available.

For instance, the 5 for a buck Macaroni & Cheese dinners are edible, but the Krafte "Deluxe" style mac/cheese is DELICIOUS.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by omega omega wrote:

Thank you, Daydreamer!

This was absolutely delicious, and very quick to make on the stove top. When I tried out your recipe, I only added enough water to cook the macaroni, so I had to stir frequently and add a bit more water a couple few times. I added a drained can of green beans to the soup/tuna/noodles and the resulting dish makes a very tasty nutritious lunch.

omega~your welcome. I'm glad you liked it. I've made it for years, especially when I was single and poor. Now that I'm married and poor, we still make it.  I have added green beans to it as well. I have also added a can of peas and on occasion I have added a can of corn.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:58pm

Frito-chili pie: put Fritos on the bottom, then canned chili, then put your cheese in a jar on top.

Nachos: tortilla chips on bottom, canned refried beans, can put salsa or peppers on then top with cheese in a jar.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:37pm

Fruit cobbler

1 tin of fruit

enough sougar to make it a bit too sweet

a Tbl spoon of corn starch

drop biscuits from a mix over the top

Bake at about 350 til bread is done (can sprinkle a bit of sugar on the raw dough) approx 30 min.

Whip 1/2 can of evaporated milk to a whipped cream stage, add sugar to taste

Serve hot or warm with whipped cream.

Variation...drain fruit, mix with whipped cream and serve in a "cup" made from piecrust mix using a muffin pan.

Ironstone
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:56pm
LOL -- evaporated milk can also be WHIPPED? Glad you offered that yummy sounding recipe and increased my knowledge, I'd thought that it was ONLY the sweetened condensed milk, LOL, that would whip into whipped-cream consistency.

I hope to have enough time to try your scruptious recipe tomorrow, after I pick up some Fritos to use in the Main Course.

It seems that this recipe would be absolutely ideal with some types of rather inexpensive canned fruit -- once it's baked, noone would be the wiser as to its initial inferior quality.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 5:14pm

Pasta salad

cook pasta of your choice...cool

add: sliced olives, garbanzo beans, sundried tomato, artichoke hearts,  sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, parmesian and toss with favorite dressing.

Serve with

piecrust rolled out, sprinkle with cheese or cheese powder and garlic salt...fole over and roll again to 1/4 in. thickness...score into wanted size...bake according to directions.

Dessert....coffee and biscotti.

Ironstone
duncan View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:06am
1 - Can of Heinz Baked Beans.

Heat
Eat
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:05am

Duncan lol, try this

can of baked beans, mix in a bit of molassas, brown sugar and prepared mustard or vinegar...one onion chunked into a baking pot, frozen or left over meat in the bottom....put prepared beans over the onion and meat...put in a slow oven for a couple of hours and serve with a bread of your choice.

Ironstone
ladymacbeth View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladymacbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:08am

ramen (any flavor, but beef or chicken works best), 1 can of tuna, 1 small can peas.

add enough water to cook the ramen, add the flavor packet and then the drained cans of tuna and peas. :) doesn't taste bad at all.

I also really love the tuna casserole recipes.

If you have minute rice, you can put it in a casserole dish and cook it (assuming you have a brick oven or one that runs on propane) with like, cream of mushrom soup, some peas and carrots and maybe a few green beans. No need to add any water at all.

Oh, the other day, while at walmart, I came upon this new product... it was like a soup starter, but for veg mushroom soup. It had everything in this little tube, all dehydrated, and it was only $.98. I picked up a couple. :) 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladymacbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:14am

also, pizza. :)

1 pckg of that pizza crust mix (sold in small boxes or individual packets) or a chef boyardee pizza kit (includes crust mix, sauce, and dehydrated cheese), 1 can mushrooms, 1 can black olive slices, if buying only the crust mix (it's cheaper that way, only $1 per pkg), you'll also need to buy a can of pizza sauce or tomato paste and a can of parmesan cheese (the kind you sprinkle on pasta will work, it doesn't have to be refridged). You may also be able to find other dehyrd. cheeses if you are in a big enough town, look around.

use specified amount of water to mix crust (I think it's like 1/3 or 1/2 cup), put tin foil down on pan. spread dough on pan evenly, put in oven or over heat for 2-3 mins, remove from heat. Spread on sauce, cheeses, drained cans of mushrooms and olives. Cook for an additional 5-15 minutes depending on heat source. Yum!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:25am

Originally posted by duncan duncan wrote:

1 - Can of Heinz Baked Beans.

Heat
Eat

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:26am
Omega- Great idea!!!!!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:42am
3 CUPS BREAD FLOUR..3 TSP YEAST...2 TBSP DRIED MILK..1 TSP SALT...2 TBSP SUGAR. MIX WITH 1.25 CUPS TEPID WATER. USING YOUR HANDS MIX AND KNEAD WELL. PLACE IN A GREASED BOWL AND COVER AND LET RISE IN A WARM AREA UNTIL DOUBLE IN SIZE (?) ABOUT AN HOUR. rOLL ON FLOURED SURFACE INTO A RECTANGLE. ADD CANNED PIZZA SAUCE DICED SUMMER SAUSAGE PEPPARONI CANNED DRAINED DRIED PEPPERS OF CHOICE ONIONS.....AH HELL USE YOUR IMAGINATION AND SUPLIES.. TOP WITH CHEESE AND BRING SIDES UP AND SEAL AND SPRINKLE WITH GRATED PARMESEAN CHEESE. BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 40 MINUTES.. THIS CAN BE ADAPED TO YOUR SITUATION. I KNOW IT SEEMS LENGHTY AND COMPLICATED BUT IT IS NOT!!! fREQUENT MEAL FOR MY FAMILY!!! ALSO TRY DIVIDING THE DOUGH TO MAKES SMALL INDIVIDUAL HOT POCKETS.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:52am
Some great ideas here.  Thanks so much to everyone.  Some new ones for me that i had not thought to do.
Ironstone
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:11am
Originally posted by ladymacbeth ladymacbeth wrote:

If you have minute rice, you can put it in a casserole dish and cook it (assuming you have a brick oven or one that runs on propane) with like, cream of mushrom soup, some peas and carrots and maybe a few green beans. No need to add any water at all.

This sounds very good, very tasty - can you by any chance tell me how many cups of Minute Rice per can of Cream of Mushroom Soup?

What's the best ratio, in your experience?

ALSO, have you by any chance already tried out this use of Minute Rice using CREAM OF: celery, cheddar, potato, etc. soups?

Just curious as to the actual TASTE quotient at the end of cooking.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ladymacbeth ladymacbeth wrote:

Oh, the other day, while at walmart, I came upon this new product... it was like a soup starter, but for veg mushroom soup. It had everything in this little tube, all dehydrated, and it was only $.98. I picked up a couple. :) 

Please let us know how it tastes after you try it, and also if it's easy to digest --- SOME prepared mixes and plenty of dehydrated mixes in the grocer's simply won't work with advanced in age senior citizens, young children, sometimes with people in poor health or adults who have any assortment of digestive problems or food allergies/intolerances.

You are VERY BRAVE to buy more than ONE new item -- I've had way too many duds, myself, so am very cautious and try things out before purchasing any multiples.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladymacbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:45am

Originally posted by omega omega wrote:

This sounds very good, very tasty - can you by any chance tell me how many cups of Minute Rice per can of Cream of Mushroom Soup?

What's the best ratio, in your experience?

ALSO, have you by any chance already tried out this use of Minute Rice using CREAM OF: celery, cheddar, potato, etc. soups?

Just curious as to the actual TASTE quotient at the end of cooking.

Thanks.

Please let us know how it tastes after you try it, and also if it's easy to digest --- SOME prepared mixes and plenty of dehydrated mixes in the grocer's simply won't work with advanced in age senior citizens, young children, sometimes with people in poor health or adults who have any assortment of digestive problems or food allergies/intolerances.

You are VERY BRAVE to buy more than ONE new item -- I've had way too many duds, myself, so am very cautious and try things out before purchasing any multiples.

As far as the rice, I am not sure exactly. I just put about a half a small bag (4-5 servings?, probably 1.5 cups) in with 2 small cans of cream of mushroom (or 1 big can). I blend them together and make sure that the whole bottom of the dish is covered, and cook in the oven at 350 until it's done, about 30-50 minutes. You'll know when the rice is done, obviously.

I have never tried it with cream of cheddar, but I'm sure it would taste just like cheesy rice. cream of broccoli would probably also be yummy, as would cream of potato (I think the rice would just taste like more potatoes), but I don't know about cream of celery. I have also used chunks of leftover cooked chicken and cream of chicken soup, but obviously, those wouldn't be desirable in this case. You can also take some premade biscuits (or make your own) and put them on top to make it more filling. I enjoy mixing peas and carrots and mushrooms in, but it's not necessary.

Yeah, I bought 2 of the tubed veg soup mix, so that I could try one and not have to run to the store right away if it worked. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but the weather is chilly right now, so I might try it and tell you what I think soon. :)

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:18am

I have almost 150 recipes from the 30 basic ingredients (not including spices)  I am storing.  I am happy to share, but don't even know where to start:  breads/rolls, soups, main dishes, desserts? 

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:35am
oopsie, website hiccup...
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:38am
There are hundreds of websites to get recipes from, what I was looking for in this thread were, as initially stated, recipes from NON-perishable food --- but recipes that actually genuinely taste GOOD, are not merely "edible."

Recipes that are already tested, that you & your family like -- that are good enough tasting that you'd even serve them to friends and not be unduly embarressed.

Almost every one knows how to open up a couple tin cans, and stir well; but not everyone has a set of basic EASY recipes that actually are tasty, not just edible.

So this thread is for "I-KNOW-THIS-ONE-TASTES-GOOD" -- It's for your FAVORITE recipes for canned goods and dehydrated food.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:59am

Thank you for the tutorial on website recipes.   These are my recipes, saved over many years, and either selected or modified to use only NON PERISHABLE food.  I have tried them all and cook with most regularly.  I ONLY save recipes that my hubby and six kids like.   "Eat what you store..."  

Favorite:  Chicken pot pie.   Uncooked pie crust (made or bought) in bottom of pie pan.  Mix:  one can chicken, one can cream of chicken soup(mushroom is good too), one half cup milk (from powdered milk) two cups canned veggies drained, (could also use dehydrated) ie green beans, peas, corn, carrots, mushrooms) 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp sage, pour in crust.  Top with second crust.  Cut small slits for venting. Bake at 350 for 40 min or until top crust is browned.

Can also use tortillas, (made or bought) halfed and layered for crusts.  Hope this helps.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:04pm
Sounds absolutely delectable!

Sometimes I enjoy spending time at cooks.com, reading and searching the recipes, but it's pretty time consuming for something like this, where presumably one won't have access to fresh ingredients.

YOU should consider publishing a cookbook.

Seriously!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:15pm
HAVING CHICKEN POT PIE TONIGHT!!!BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladymacbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:40pm
Oh, I remembered another one. Cornflakes (crushed), shredded coconut from the bag, and peanut butter. Mix the peanut butter in a bowl with the cornflakes, roll them into balls,and then roll in the coconut. :) It's a great way to make kids happy, all nonperishable goods, and is a good way to get protein. :)
FakinBacon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:31pm

Here's a webpage for a few recipes/suggestions:

http://www.providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,2017-1,0 0.html

~A

Stay At Home Mom, Book Addict
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:08am
Spam recipes www.melborponsti.com
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:09am
This thread is meant just for recipes which have already been used by the poster, who can assure us that they taste GOOD, and also, ones where they only use the storage foods ----- I don't foresee having any onions to dice or chopped celery to throw into recipes a few weeks into an all out Official Quarantine.

I started this thread so that the Cooks could shared their expertise with us --- I know enough cookin' to do my own experiments, but frankly, don't wish to continue to create GLOP ala yuk, which needs to be tossed in the garbage.

Yeah, it's EDIBLE if you're STARVING, well, so is tree bark.

I'm amazed with the NOODLE/SOUP creation shared above, and I'm going to try out a whole variety of tinned meats and creamed soups -- I doubt that many of them will have to be thrown out, LOL!

The simple combination of mushroom soup, noodles, tuna and green beens was not merely edible, it was delicious.

If nothing else, it's got me motivated to make positive that I have multiple cans of cream-soup on hand, i.e., Cream of Asparagus, Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Cheddar, Cream of Potato -- who knows what else I'll find in a large grocery store?!
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:18am

Because you used the word "delectable" I'll throw in another "cream of..." recipe:

Chicken and Corn Chowder:

Simmer 3 cups milk (prepared from powdered), 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can (12 or 16 ounces) corn niblets undrained, 1 cube chicken boullion, 1/4 tsp onion powder.  If you want it a little heartier, thicken with potato flakes (1 cup or to desired consistency).  Can also add canned chicken if desired and/or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes for a little kick.

asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:49pm
Black beans and corn

One can of black beans, drained
One can of corn, drained
1 tbsp dried cilantro (if you have fresh, use about 1/2 cup finely chopped)
1tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Let it marinate in the oil and lime juice for an hour or more and just warm up.  It's a great side dish or rolled up in a tortilla.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 4:05pm
Asatrape, that sound good and a lot like Cuban Black Beans over rice.  Thanks so much.

Sausage is hard to can because of the sage in it but if you like Breakfast Gravy, this is really good.

fry the canned or dried hamburger with a bit of oil or grease (may cook onions first if you wish)

add one can of cream of mushroom soup and enough water to desired thickness

add spices...sage, salt, tobasco, pepper or whatever you wish

stir and mix ingredients well

Serve over bread or potatoes.
Ironstone
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 4:24pm
Clam Linguine

2 cans minced clams
1 bottle clam juice
1 cup wine
1/2 tbsp thyme
1/2 tbsp basil
3 tbsp lemon juice
linguine
Parm Cheese

Simmer the first six ingredients until reduced by nealy half.  Spoon over linguine.  Toss with cheese.  Eat.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:32pm
Can of Chile over pasta or even kraft dinner
I served it for dinner once and everyone liked it

Kraft dinner with tuna popular at his house( better with chopped celery and onions)

Tuna casserole mushroom soup, tuna  canned peas (better with frozen peas)and almond slivers (family favorite)

Ramon noodles dried broken with melted chocolate peanut butter coconut,
dried fruit (what ever you have recipe ( also a good cooking activity for board kids )

Rice crispies need very little cooking and can be heated with a small pot over a candle

same mores  this pandemic definitely is a good occasion for some-mores

Plain Cookie's melted chocolate and almonds dried fruit

Canned food recipes would be challenging without being able to add fresh fruit and vegetables but its worth the effort to start a post challenging people to come up with foods that require little or no c ooking
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:39am

Last night's dinner:

Pasta w/Pesto:
1 lb pasta cooked and combined with pesto sauce.

Pesto sauce:  1/4 C dried basil, 1/4 C olive oil, 1/4 C parmesan cheese (Kraft or equivalent), 1/4 tsp garlic powder (equivalent of 1 clove), 1/4 tsp salt (A blender gets everything really fine, but mixing by hand works too).

Bread sticks:

Mix: 3 C flour, 2 TB sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt. 
Then add:  1 Tb. yeast dissolved in 1 1/2 C warm water

Mix and let rise for 15 minutes.  Roll dough onto cookie sheet and score into strips.  Sprinkle with any of all of the following:  butter buds (if available) parsley, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion salt, season all,

Bake at 375 for 20 min.

asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:42am
Rice with Puttanesca Sauce

large can chopped tomato, drained
1 can sliced black olives
1 can sliced green olives
2 tbsp capers
1 tbsp minced garlic (dried if that's all you have)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp basil (or 1/4 cup diced fresh)
1/2 tbps dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1.4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 to 6 cups cooked rice.

Mix all the ingredients, except the rice.  Let it marinate for atleast an hour stirring occassionally... the longer the better if you're using dried herbs.  This is a marinating sauce.... no cooking required except for the rice.

Pour over your rice and serve.

Mmmmmmmmmmm   ... very light and fresh tasting.

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:44am
Will try that this weekend. Good one!
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:54am
I adapted this to use canned tomatoes.... if you do it this weekend try it with chopped plum tomatoes (about 1-1/2 lbs) and Kalamata olives in place of the black olives..... it's really good either as a side dish or a main course if you want something light.
Karianne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:22pm

Big Breakfast Cookies

1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups non-fat dry milk powder
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar or Splenda
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Spoon 4 large mounds (1/2 cup each) onto sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes.  Makes 4 really big cookies. These are wonderful.
Karianne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:35pm

Hershey Bar Haystacks

1 cup Fiber One Cereal
1 (1.5 oz.) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar
1 Tablespoon Reduced Fat Peanut Butter, smooth or chunky

Melt bar and peanut butter in microwave until smooth at 30 second intervals. Stir to mix. Add cereal and gently toss until coated. Drop onto wax paper making 6 pieces. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens (about 30 min.)

Weight Watcher's Points 1
The cookies above are also a diet recipe but the recipe is posted different places on the internet with different points. I've seen them listed as 4 points per cookie using sugar and 3 points using Splenda. I've also seen them listed as 5 points. Make no mistake you don't have to be watching your weight to love these two recipes. Sooo yummy.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 11:23am
Lot of Camping Food and Dutch Oven Recipes at this site for when you have no power:

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:04pm
ONLY for people who genuinely LIKE the peppery taste of sausage -- very doubtful this would work for either the very young or very old.

I didn't really like this rice dish; however, I will keep a can or two of the sausage gravy in my pantry, simply for variety's sake -- I certainly have nothing else that tastes quite like this sausage gravy, LOL. It's my suspicion that NON-sausage gravy MIGHT have made this recipe palatable to all, but I wanted to see what the sausage gravy tasted like.

1 can Campbell's Country Style Sausage Gravy
1 can drained, green beans
1 cup milk

2 cups Minute Rice

In pan, combine first three ingredients. Heat almost to a boil. Add the two cups Minute Rice. Stir very well. Quickly bring this mixture to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Let stand about five minutes and then serve.

ALSO, as an experiment I made some VERY watery runny oatmeal, and then I stirred in an envelope of cocoa --- it was absolutely ATROCIOUS, but it was e-d-i-b-l-e, so I made myself eat it, and was reminded why I started this thread - to get TASTE-TESTED recipes which actually taste good.

LOL
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:31pm
Okay, everybody may already know this, but as an FYI you can subsitute canned gravy by making it out of chicken or beef boullion.  Mix the boullion as directed but with luke warm water.  Then in a separate bowl, mix about 1 TB flour or corn starch with water to make a thin paste.  Stir with a fork to remove lumps.  Add to broth, mixing frequently until comes to a boil and thickens.  Serve over instant mashed potatoes.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic