Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Trump on the Wuhan virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trump on the Wuhan virus
    Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:17am
Quote The first US case was confirmed on Tuesday. President Donald Trump said the situation was "totally under control" and that he trusted the information being provided by Chinese authorities

BBC link

While I have my opinions about this, we will see what time shows about this being under control.
Notanewbie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:23am
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/coronavirus-flu-epidemic-diseases/

You’ve probably read about the outbreak. But you may not know how badly prepared the United States is to counter a pandemic, as a result of bipartisan neglect of our public health infrastructure. The highlights: In 2012, the Obama administration reallocated billions of dollars away from the Prevention and Public Health Fund to make up for cuts to Medicare’s physician payments. In 2018, Congress cut the PPHF by another $1 billion, and the Trump administration then diverted additional millions away from the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In response, the CDC cut its global epidemic prevention efforts by 80 percent, radically downsizing its operations in 39 of the 49 countries it had a presence in, including China and Congo, currently the epicenter of Ebola. Last year, Trump proposed slashing the DHS budget by another 12 percent and the CDC budget by 10 percent.

The result of this dangerous downsizing: As the world stands on the verge of a new epidemic, the United States has 50,000 fewer local public-health employees than it did in 2008. Instead of stopping an outbreak early, America’s now reduced to taking the temperature of travelers at major airports.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:31am
Yep, we’re screwed. Though in truth, there’s no amount of funding we could throw at a potentially major pandemic that would make much difference. Back in 1918, people knew how to survive if there was nobody else to look after them. Nowadays, Twitter goes down and half the of the civilized world curls up in the fetal position clutching their smartphones.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:52am
I really like President Trump but his people and he are being misled. Nothing is under control but I think every President is so isolated they do not realize what is truly happening. So please don't blame Trump, I think the CDC is telling him they have it under control when it will never really be under control.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:07am
Unfortunately, Trump is VERY motivated to pacify people due to the stock market, which has been faltering due to this situation.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:11am
Yep I have to agree on that one Albert. If this does not burn itself out we are in trouble. I am hoping for a burn out.   However that being said I just spent over $800 in things I needed. Funny how a possible pandemic gets me to get my shed and basement in order.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:36am
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Funny how a possible pandemic gets me to get my shed and basement in order.

Me too 😆😆

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:45am
Without getting into the politics of it, I honestly doubt that anyone at the CDC is telling the administration that the outbreak is “totally under control”. I suspect that’s Trump’s take on the situation.
I guarantee the CDC is in panic mode right now behind the scenes.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:51am
I agree, JD. If fact, it's not beyond Trump to tell them to downplay it for it now. I trade stocks, and belong to numerous groups. Trump is well known for hyping the stock market via tweets, and at the moment, the market is heading south, and Trump definitely doesn't like that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:08am
I have to agree with both of you on this. Any President would play this down to save the stock market. If the world really gets hit with lots of deaths all the markets are going to tank, just a fact. We just have to look at what we know and hope all of us can make good decisions as this develops.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Without getting into the politics of it, I honestly doubt that anyone at the CDC is telling the administration that the outbreak is “totally under control”. I suspect that’s Trump’s take on the situation.
I guarantee the CDC is in panic mode right now behind the scenes.

I couldn't have put it better myself.   
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:27pm
I agree, FluMom.
Use your best judgment and stay safe, guys.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:18pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-24/coronavirus-update-how-the-virus-is-affecting-global-business

For global corporations, Wuhan is an important hub. Of about 2,000 cities in China with factories and other facilities in Bloomberg's supply chain database, the city ranks 13th, with about 500 facilities. The province of Hubei has 1,016, making it seventh of 32 such jurisdictions. U.S.-based companies have 44 facilities there, and European ones about 40, the data show. Many plants are in the auto and transportation industries, and big
names include PepsiCo Inc. and Siemens AG

This is just for Hubei prefecture, How many across China will be impacted.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:30pm
Excellent point. If a major pandemic were to hit and compromise our supply lines, that’s when we’d see the real threat a virus can present to our way of life. Even with a really nasty bug, your odds of surviving are overwhelmingly in your favor. But if the shelves start to go bare (or God forbid, the lights go off and the faucets run dry), that’s when we’ll see how dire things can get.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 3:49pm
Water is the biggest problem for me. I will have to save my gas to go 2 miles get water out of a river and then sanitize it. LOL Albert said something that jogged my memory I have water cubes that I can put in my car to get water and use the clean ones to sanitize all the water in. I have so much I forget what I have...lol!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 3:57pm
I’m the same way, FluMom. I’m going through my garage, and I’m very pleasantly surprised at what I’ve put aside. I’m short on space so things are scattered all over, but I’m not seeing too many gaps.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 4:05pm
I'm obsessive! There are always too many gaps!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:35pm
guys, lets get real. Trump is a man who is not very smart. He is also being misled by china. We are woefully unprepared for anything. If it comes here, we will have at least 3 million deaths. 16 million in hospitals and lots more infected. China is not being honest with the world.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:50pm
Trump is just like all other Presidents who are trying to keep people from panicking and the stock markets stable (not happening) but he is smart just trying to keep it together for us. This is not the time to be critical it is time to pull together and help each other.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 5:29pm

"It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine,” Trump told CNBC’s Joe Kernen from the World Economic Forum in Davos.The president said he trusts the information coming out of China on the coronavirus, which has killed nine people there and sickened 100's “ I have a great relationship with President Xi,” said Trump, addressing a question about whether he’s concerned about transparency in China. “The relationship is very good.”

Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that don't have brains enough to be honest.”
― Benjamin Franklin.   
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 6:57am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-usa/trump-says-us-has-shut-down-coronavirus-threat-china-shuns-us-help-idUSKBN1ZW0OJ
Excerpts..

Trump appeared to downplay concerns about the impact in the United States of the flu-like virus that has killed 350 people in China and spread to more than two dozen countries, telling Fox television in an interview, “We’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

"Chad Wolf, U.S. Homeland Security acting secretary, said the overall risk to the American public remains low.

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/trump-germaphobe-ebola-coronavirus-twitter/

Back in 2014, in the lead up to the midterm election, President Donald Trump hit the conservative media circuit—and the “send tweet” button—repeatedly offering his opinion on the Ebola outbreak, and epidemic that was overwhelming West Africa at thee time.
At one point, Trump demanded Obama hug every person in the U.S. who may contract Ebola.

President Obama has a personal responsibility to visit & embrace all people in the US who contract Ebola!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 15, 2014

He also hit at the president for golfing during the epidemic

President Obama has a major meeting on the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak, with people flying in from all over the country, but decided to play golf!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 24, 20

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-golf-coronavirus-barack-obama-ebola-twitter-a9313001.html
Donald Trump posted a photo of himself “getting a little exercise” on the golf course this morning as the US grapples with the spread of coronavirus - despite criticising Barack Obama for doing the same thing during the Ebola outbreak.

It came as an eighth person in the US was diagnosed with the virus in Massachusetts. Despite fears over how the illness could spread, Mr Trump found time to hit the fairway, clad in white polo shirt, blue slacks, and a red Keep America Great baseball cap.
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Yep, we’re screwed. Though in truth, there’s no amount of funding we could throw at a potentially major pandemic that would make much difference. Back in 1918, people knew how to survive if there was nobody else to look after them. Nowadays, Twitter goes down and half the of the civilized world curls up in the fetal position clutching their smartphones.

SO darn true!!!
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 3:37am
ReutersFebruary 7, 2020
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-great-discipline-china-110216430.html
Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday after a phone conversation with Chinese President Xi Jinping that Beijing is showing "great discipline" in tackling the coronavirus outbreak that has killed more than 600 people in China.

"Nothing is easy, but he will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone," Trump said on Twitter https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225728756456808448.

"Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!"

I guess welding buildings shut,little to no medical care,is great discipline
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 4:39am
As an aside, my brother's job takes him to DC three days a week for the last few weeks. He told me last night that the streets in DC were empty this last week. He said there were a few people out on the streets, but very few. He's not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but he said it creeped him out and made him think something is up. Like DC know something the rest of us don't. He's decided if he has to go to DC going forward he won't take the train to DC anymore, but drive instead. And that he will not take any jobs (he's a contractor) going forward if they involve any travel.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 4:45am
It is: - if success is more important than people.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 8:05pm

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-doctors-coronavirus-prediction_n_5e41948dc5b6b70887058c58

Stable Genius, I'm surprised he didn't say" I knows more than the scientists "                        

President Trump said Monday that he expected the coronavirus epidemic to disappear with the end of winter ― a remark at odds with warnings from infectious disease experts.

Trump’s comments on the virus known as 2019-nCoV, which has infected more than 42,000 people globally and claimed more than 1,000 lives, came during a White House business session with state governors.

“A lot of people think that goes away in April as the heat comes in,” he said of the outbreak that began in the Chinese city of Wuhan. “Typically that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases, 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape.”

“This statement minimizes the many critical factors needed for the containment of the outbreak and the prevention of further disease spread, such as adequate infection control measures and contact tracing,” Dr. Britta Lassmann, program director for the International Society for Infectious Diseases, told HuffPost. The president’s remarks set off some concern that he didn’t have a solid understanding of the threat at hand.

“Data on the role of temperature and climate on the transmissibility of 2019-nCoV are currently lacking,” she added.

But Trump’s rosy outlook is also risky because not all outbreaks subside as the weather warms, and this one remains shrouded in mystery on several fronts.
Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 3:53pm
I really worry that he is saying it will go away when warmer temps arrive but that is not the information I have recently found corroborates, rather it seems to not do well in moderate temps but thrives at both ends of the spectrum...feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Sheep Lady
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 6:08pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/12/health-experts-sound-alarm-trump-fights-coronavirus-with-alternative-facts/

President Trump’s governing strategy is on a collision course with a novel foe. Can alternative facts stop a pandemic

Some of the nation’s leading public-health experts assembled before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on Wednesday morning with some worrisome warnings: The dangerous Wuhan novel coronavirus is probably already in the United States in greater numbers than we know and should show itself in clusters in the coming weeks. There’s reason to doubt its spread will die down when the weather warms. And it could ultimately affect hundreds of thousands of Americans.
But Trump has never been one to embrace expert opinion, whether on climate change or on windmill cancer.
“By the way, the virus,” Trump told supporters at a political rally this week. “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”
He told a meeting of governors that he "had a long talk with President Xi” of China. “He feels very confident. And he feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing. But we’re in great shape in our country. We have 11, and the 11 are getting better. Okay? Okay!
Maybe he’s right. We should all pray that he is. But the experts have a rather different take.Luciana Borio, the former director for medical and biodefense preparedness at the National Security Council, said the number of actual cases is “much, much higher” than reported and “very concerning for a pandemic.” She said it is “sufficiently lethal to stress severely the health-care system” and “we need to brace ourselves for difficult weeks or months to come. …
"We’re going to see a lot more cases in the United States in the near future.”
The coronavirus and other outbreaks are hard to contain.

Julie Gerberding, former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said she is “very concerned about the prospects for long-term containment” and warned that “we simply don’t have the surge capacity” to handle a widespread outbreak. Now is the time to be “leaning in,” she said.

Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said there are “certainly cases we don’t know about” in the United States, and he called for expanded testing because we’re “capturing 25 percent of cases at best.” Gottlieb predicted: “We’re going to see those outbreaks start to emerge in the next two to four weeks.”
This is the time for a Manhattan Project, to put all public and private energy into vaccine and antiviral development, diagnostics and expanded hospital capabilities. If the worst happens, we’ll be better prepared. If not, we’ll be prepared for the next pandemic.

Instead, Trump this week proposed cutting U.S. funding for the World Health Organization in half. He has also proposed a nearly 16 percent cut to the CDC and a nearly 8 percent cut to the National Institutes of Health, though officials say they won’t cut from infectious-disease work. Trump’s budget director says the virus isn’t being taken into account in economic forecasts.
And Trump is parroting advice from the Chinese regime.
Maybe he’ll also endorse North Korea’s plan to fight the virus with “burdock roots.”
Trump administration officials were asked to participate in the Senate hearing; they refused, instead cooperating in a closed briefing later with senators.
“I’m disappointed,” said the chairman, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.). “I thought I had convinced them to come. … It’s extremely important the public understands these things.”
Had they come, they would have heard the experts knock down Trump’s claims that we’re in great shape, that there are only 11 cases here and that China has handled the outbreak well.

Asha George, executive director of the Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense, said there are generally seven or eight unseen cases for every known case. “It may be hundreds of thousands of cases” here ultimately, she warned.
Gottlieb warned that even if the fatality rate drops from the current 2 percent to 0.2 percent, that could still “be quite devastating.”
As for the virus receding in warm weather, Gottlieb pointed out that there’s been some spread in Singapore, where it’s 90 degrees.
They also cautioned that they can’t be sure that current antiviral drug trials will be successful or that a vaccine will be available in a year. And many raw materials for drugs come from China — a gaping vulnerability.

Johnson seemed alarmed. “This ought to be a huge wake-up call,” he said, for domestic medical manufacturing.
In one of the few bright points, Gottlieb (who is on Pfizer’s board) said that “we probably could do this quickly if we wanted to” and avoid China’s “critical choke-point in supply.”
Alternatively, we can wait for the virus “miraculously” to
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/donald-trump-coronavirus-warm-weather

TRUMP CLAIMS CORONAVIRUS WILL “MIRACULOUSLY” GO AWAY BY APRIL

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1226918856632999937

Where did Trump get his prognosis? While pulling facts directly from his #ss kind of this guy’s thing, in this case, his information has apparently come from Chinese president Xi Jinping, whose government’s early handling of the epidemic allowed it to spread, as the party prioritized secrecy instead of confronting the crisis head-o
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 2:54am
We need to prepare on our own...governments will not do it.

Quote The Trump administration is eyeing steep cuts to global health funds in its 2021 budget proposal, slashing more than $3 billion in overall programs, including half of its annual funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), which is leading the fight against the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

FP report

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 8:19am

Trump's need for public adoration even in these days of unknown spread of virus is galling.  Public health be damned !!!!

https://www.firstpost.com/india/five-to-7-million-people-from-airport-to-stadium-trump-excited-for-his-maiden-trip-to-india-says-modi-building-largest-stadium-in-the-world-8036341
'
Five to 7 million people from airport to stadium': Trump excited for his maiden trip to India, says Modi building largest stadium in the world

AHMEDABAD — More than 100,000 people are expected to pack into the world's biggest cricket stadium later this month when it is formally opened during a visit to India by President Donald Trump, officials said.
Workers in Ahmedabad are rushing to finish the 110,000-capacity Sardar Patel Stadium, which will overtake the 100,000-seater Melbourne Cricket Ground as the world's biggest cricket venue.

A bit of history....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/philadelphia-threw-wwi-parade-gave-thousands-onlookers-flu-180970372/

When the Fourth Liberty Loan Drive parade stepped off on September 28, some 200,000 people jammed Broad Street, cheering wildly as the line of marchers stretched for two miles. Floats showcased the latest addition to America’s arsenal – floating biplanes built in Philadelphia’s Navy Yard. Brassy tunes filled the air along a route where spectators were crushed together like sardines in a can. Each time the music stopped, bond salesmen singled out war widows in the crowd, a move designed to evoke sympathy and ensure that Philadelphia met its Liberty Loan quota.

But aggressive Liberty Loan hawkers were far from the greatest threat that day. Lurking among the multitudes was an invisible peril known as influenza—and it loves crowds. Philadelphians were exposed en masse to a lethal contagion widely called “Spanish Flu,” a misnomer created earlier in 1918 when the first published reports of a mysterious epidemic emerged from a wire service in Madrid.

For Philadelphia, the fallout was swift and deadly. Two days after the parade, the city’s public health director Wilmer Krusen, issued a grim pronouncement: “The epidemic is now present in the civilian population and is assuming the type found in naval stations and cantonments [army camps].”

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500. With many of the city’s health professionals pressed into military service, Philadelphia was unprepared for this deluge of death.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2020 at 7:31pm

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/officials-debate-what-tell-trump-about-coronavirus-outbreak-n1137931

One of the first signs of trouble in the White House came a couple of weeks ago, when Donald Trump published a tweet praising Chinese President Xi Jinping for his handling of the coronavirus outbreak. The American president said of his counterpart in Beijing, "He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack."

The Republican's gushing praise made some administration officials uncomfortable, largely because they believe China's response has been wholly inadequate and dangerously opaque.

It was against this backdrop that the Washington Post had an interesting report over the weekend:

Although the United States has so far effectively contained the virus, some senior administration officials said there have been tensions within the administration over what information the president should receive, his posture toward China and what message to send to the American public.

All of this is obviously of great importance from a public-health perspective, but I was struck by the reporting that there's some behind-the-scenes disagreement between administration officials over what they want Trump to know about the emergency. I never worked in the Obama White House, but from what I gather, his team never quarreled over "what information the president should receive" when dealing with the Ebola threat in 2014, for example.

The Post's article went on to note that the president's perspective on the coronavirus outbreak has apparently been shaped in large part by Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who has reportedly told physicians "not to get too far into the details of the virus and the outbreak with Trump."

Right. Because when a president is trying to respond to a public-health emergency, the important thing is for his staff to make sure he's not fully informed.

The problem, however, does not appear to be limited to Trump. During a committee hearing two weeks ago, Azar faced bipartisan pushback on the administration's response to the virus, especially when in the area of communicating with state and local officials.

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), for example, described the administration's handling of the virus as "keystone cops," adding, "The coordination was not just minimal, it was zero. And if you're going to do a public health response, you have to work with state and local government, and they just didn't."

A week later, the White House released a budget blueprint that would cut "half of its annual funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), which is leading the fight against the deadly coronavirus outbreak."

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:55pm
Coronavirus policy on the fly

"It's hard to tell the weaponized incompetence from the regular kind."

The Washington Post published a disturbing-maybe story yesterday detailing internal White House deliberations Sunday, when the US was about to fly more than 300 Americans from that quarantined cruise ship in Japan back to the USA. The Americans who wanted to return home had already been taken off the Diamond Princess, which had been sitting at anchor in Yokohama Harbor since February 3 while the Covid-19 coronavirus spread among the passengers on board. But while the 328 Americans, all wearing surgical masks and gloves, waited on buses at Haneda Airport in Tokyo for their flight home, officials from the State Department and the Centers for Disease Control were wrangling over a new problem: 14 of the Americans had tested positive for the virus, although the State Department had promised that nobody who was infected would be allowed on the two 747s — their interiors stripped of everything but seats — chartered to repatriate the Americans.

As the Post reports, it seems nobody had planned for that possibility.

A decision had to be made. Let them all fly? Or leave them behind in Japanese hospitals? [...] 

The State Department and a top Trump administration health official wanted to forge ahead. The infected passengers had no symptoms and could be segregated on the plane in a plastic-lined enclosure. But officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disagreed, contending they could still spread the virus. The CDC believed the 14 should not be flown back with uninfected passengers.

"It was like the worst nightmare," said a senior U.S. official involved in the decision, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations. "Quite frankly, the alternative could have been pulling grandma out in the pouring rain, and that would have been bad, too."

Anne Schuchat, CDC's principal deputy director, didn't want the infected people to go on the plane; she pointed out the government had told passengers anyone who tested positive would be treated at Japanese hospitals, not flown back. 

But Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response for the Department of Health and Human Services and a member of the coronavirus task force, pushed back: Officials had already prepared the plane to handle passengers who might develop symptoms on the long flight, he argued. The two Boeing 747s had 18 seats cordoned off with 10-foot-high plastic on all four sides. Infectious disease doctors would also be onboard. 

"We felt like we had very experienced hands in evaluating and caring for these patients," Kadlec said at a news briefing Monday.
It's a bit of a contrast to Trump's absolute certainty, as an infectious disease specialist, that Barack Obama was trying to kill us all with Ebola in 2014. Back then, Trump offered the sort of clear vision available to someone with no actual responsibility for policy, tweeting about one (1) American:
"Ebola patient will be brought to the U.S. in a few days - now I know for sure that our leaders are incompetent. KEEP THEM OUT OF HERE!"
 "Ebola patient will be brought to the U.S. in a few days - now I know for sure that our leaders are incompetent. KEEP THEM OUT OF HERE!"
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 4:01am

Privately, Trump is worried that a US coronavirus outbreak will slow down the economy and cost him the election.

Politico reported:

The Trump administration is bracing for a possible coronavirus outbreak in the United States that could sicken thousands — straining the government’s public health response and threatening an economic slowdown in the heat of President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign.

….."The biggest current threat to the president’s reelection is this thing getting out of control and creating a health and economic impact,” said Chris Meekins, a Raymond James financial analyst and former Trump administration HHS emergency-preparedness official.

It is revealing that Trump is worried about a virus outbreak not because of what it could do to public health, but the impact that it would have on his reelection campaign. Trump is more worried about bad economic numbers than Americans getting sick and dying.

Trump brags, boasts, and blusters, but he understands that his margin for error is close to zero. If the economy slips, Trump could be toast. Trump is running on economic numbers. He doesn’t care about people. He just wants to have a nice looking number that he thinks he can campaign on

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 4:38am
Jason Easley??.......this is why I cannot open this topic....going back to Roblox
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 4:40am
Trump wants to look good in the history books. Is it narcissism? Yes, of course. He has a big mouth and a bigger ego. In the end, however, he at least makes the U.S. his priority.

It was way too late, but he led the way to repatriating our citizens from the Diamond Princess. That's a plus. He closed borders to Chinese travelers. That's a plus. I think he is making correct decisions, even if I detest him on a personal level. Just wish he was making the decisions more promptly.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 5:02am
Agreed. It is a shame on our nation we took so long to rescue our own.

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 6:36pm
Let's see if it a trend to exclude red states from housing evacuees.....

Reuters) - The Trump administration has backed off plans to quarantine patients from the Diamond Princess cruise ship stricken with coronavirus at a federal facility in Alabama, the state’s governor and a U.S. senator said on Sunday.

“I just got off the phone with the President. He told me that his administration will not be sending any victims of the Coronavirus from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to Anniston, Alabama. Thank you, @POTUS, for working with us to ensure the safety of all Alabamians,” Senator Richard Shelby, a Republican from the state, said on Twitter. 

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey tweeted that she had thanked Trump during a separate phone call. 

The White House could not immediately be reached for comment. The president departed on Sunday for a trip to India for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. 

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said on Saturday that it would house American passengers evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship who had tested positive for coronavirus at a former Army base in Anniston, Alabama. 

It was unclear where those patients would be quarantined if the plan to house them in Alabama had been scrapped.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-usa-alabama/trump-administration-backs-off-sending-coronavirus-patients-to-alabama-governor-idUSKCN20I01W?il=0

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 7:11pm

It's always a good idea on the cusp of a pandemic to go to the most densely populated country,with people packed shoulder to shoulder shouting adorations. He should have shown himself as a statesman and had a private meeting with Modi,to do a trade deal,not wanting to light the match of H2H 

When President Trump comes to visit, world leaders face the challenge of finding ways to entertain and impress a leader who relishes spectacle.

• < aria-haspopup="true" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="More sharing s ..." ="-16ogagc" -testid="" style="margin: 0px; vertical-align: middle; padding: 5px; border-color: rgb238, 238, 238; cursor: pointer; border-top-left-radius: 100%; border-top-right-radius: 100%; border-bottom-right-radius: 100%; border-bottom-left-radius: 100%; width: 27px; height: 27px;">

NEW DELHI — One of the most nerve-racking moments for any world leader these days comes with these six words: President Trump is coming to town.

Hosting any American leader is demanding enough with the usual requirements of diplomacy, protocol and geopolitics, but with Mr. Trump comes an additional challenge: how to entertain and impress a president who relishes spectacle and cherishes anything that is the first, the most or the biggest.

The British have a queen, so they made a grand show of a state dinner at Buckingham Palace. The French have Bastille Day, so they invited the president to view their elaborate miliary parade down the Champs-Élysées. The Japanese have an emperor, so they invited Mr. Trump to be the first foreign leader to visit their newly installed monarch — and threw in a sumo match with a special presidential trophy for good measure.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India opted to appeal to Mr. Trump’s first love — crowd size — as he stages a rally of more than 100,000 people in Ahmedabad on Monday after a drive in from the airport along roads where perhaps 100,000 more will line the motorcade route. The president will almost certainly not be greeted by the 10 million people he expects, but it will look like an enormous crowd nonetheless and, the Indians hope, satisfy his need for affirmation.

“World leaders are vying with each other to appeal to President Trump’s vanity,” said R. Nicholas Burns, a former under secretary of state under President George W. Bush who helped pave the way for agreements with India during that administration. “They understand his foreign trips are more about the image he wants to strike rather than substantive breakthroughs between governments.”

White House aides deny that the president’s trips are all about show. The United States and India have important issues involving trade and security for Mr. Trump and Mr. Modi to discuss, although administration officials briefing reporters before the president’s departure from Washington on Sunday made clear that the comprehensive trade agreement he seeks with India remains far-off.

What has seemed to animate Mr. Trump the most, though, are Mr. Modi’s promises of cheering crowds. “He told me we’ll have seven million people between the airport and the event,” Mr. Trump told reporters last Tuesday. 

Two days later, Mr. Trump ratcheted up the estimate to eight digits. “I hear they’re going to have 10 million people,” he said at a campaign rally. “They say anywhere from six to 10 million people are going to be showing up along the route to one of the largest stadiums in the world.”

By Sunday as he was leaving the White House to begin his long trip, it had become “millions and millions” of people. “Some people say the biggest event they’ve ever had in India,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “That’s what the prime minister told me.”

A crowd of 10 million would exceed the entire population of Ahmedabad, estimated at eight million. Local officials estimate that it will be more like 100,000, making Mr. Trump off by only 99 percent. But Motera Stadium, which is not really fully built yet, is supposed to become the largest cricket arena in the world.

World leaders have learned to shorten or scrap the historical tours, remove local delicacies from the menu and focus on one thing only: feeding his ego,” said Julianne Smith, the director of the Asia program at the German Marshall Fund of the United States. “That’s taken different forms in recent years, but the goal is always the same — make Trump feel like he’s getting something unique: a parade in Paris, a grand state dinner at Buckingham Palace or a sumo match with a President’s Cup in Japan.”

Critics said that meeting, like a parade or a banquet, was just for the pictures, with no lasting result, and that the president should focus more on policy initiatives when he arrives in India. “Trump would be far wiser to frame the visit on substance — our strong military collaboration with India, Japan and Australia in limiting China, for example, rather than on seeking applause from crowds in a stadium,” Mr. Burns said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/us/politics/trump-india-crowd.html

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 3:08am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KNBFPgoi2I
Check this crowd! They are packed in like sardines.we will see in short order if this was lighting the fire.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 3:46pm

At the end of January, at a time when the coronavirus outbreak that began in China was dominating international headlines, The White House announced it was forming a new task force to address the growing crisis, one headed by the secretary of health and human services, Alex Azar. Standing up the task force was made easier, the administration said, because of the work it had already put into the National Biodefense Strategy, the government-wide plan from 2018 aimed at protecting the country against threats like disease epidemics and biological terrorism. There’s a problem with that claim however. After a year-and-half of implementation, experts say the government has little to show for the strategy.

“It’s our understanding that it sort of ground to a halt during the assessment phase,” Asha George, the executive director of the Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense, said of the strategy. (George is also a member of the Bulletin’s Science and Security Board.) Seconding George’s assessment is Dan Gerstein, a RAND researcher who has tracked the biodefense strategy: “I stay pretty close on these issues. I haven’t seen a lot come out.”

The strategy sets out to organize the government’s myriad activities intended to defend against biothreats; it’s the “first-ever holistic look across the government to see where are we acting, and where might there be any gaps in light of our awareness of threats, our preparedness needs, and our ability to respond,” Azar told the press in 2018. Under the strategy, officials from various federal agencies are supposed to decide on a joint plan for how to allocate federal resources. It’s in those very areas—joint decision-making and resource-sharing–that government officials are struggling to make progress, a new US Government Accountability Office report published last week found. Many officials “expressed reluctance” to use their resources to support common goals, the report said, and there are “no clear processes, roles, or responsibilities for joint decision-making.”

Experts point to the big cuts the Trump administration has proposed to public health initiatives as a sign that the country, if anything, is becoming more vulnerable to threats like disease outbreaks. For instance, while the strategy calls for a strong surveillance system to monitor for biological threats, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Public Health Preparedness and Response Program, which puts the agency’s laboratories and expertise in public health surveillance and epidemiology to work, is in line for a $25 million cut in the budget year beginning this fall. The Health and Human Services Department’s Hospital Preparedness Program funds the Ebola treatment centers that were set up to handle domestic cases of the disease that was ravaging West African countries in 2014. The program could see an $18 million haircut this fall. The administration’s budget proposal would provide $58 million to the World Health Organization, less than half what the United States gave last year. The organization is the lead international agency guiding the global response to the coronavirus outbreak. “All those things suggest that they are saying one thing and doing another,” Gerstein said.

Public health funding has repeatedly fallen under the Trump administration’s budget axe, although Congress has bucked the administration and restored some funding in the past. The coronavirus response is straining the government’s resources, and the Health and Human Services Department has already told Congress it may need to shift funds around to pay for it. With cases of COVID-19 (as the coronavirus is now known) rising in countries like South Korea, Iran, and Italy, The White House asked Congress on Monday for $1.25 billion in additional funding to combat the outbreak. It wants to use money intended for other efforts like fighting Ebola to bring the total amount designated for the coronavirus response to $2.5 billion.

There are plenty of reasons to want a well-oiled biodefense system. Despite the ratification of the Biological Weapons Convention, the global treaty prohibiting countries from developing or stockpiling biological weapons, the new government watchdog report notes that biological warfare remains a threat. Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, and Syria are still engaging in dual-use or bioweapons activities, according to the report. In just the last two decades, outbreaks of infectious diseases like Ebola, SARS, and now COVID-19 have sickened tens-of-thousands. New developments in synthetic biology mean a wide array of facilities have the ability to synthesize deadly pathogens. “Because the biological threat landscape is vast, it requires a multidisciplinary, enterprise-wide approach,” the report said.

It may still be too soon to cast judgement on the biodefense strategy, or to say whether the various government agencies in the structure can agree to a plan that implements a whole-of-government approach. The Government Accountability Office’s report said it won’t be until the 2022 budget cycle that biodefense spending will be guided by a joint plan. That may be too late for Trump’s strategy. Both of Trump’s immediate predecessors had biodefense plans and neither was fully realized, Gerstein wrote in 2018.

“Time is not your friend when you’re in a presidential administration,” he said. “It moves very rapidly. If you want to get something done, you really need your strategy out in the first year. And it really needs to be moving, and it’s got to be a priority

https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/trump-touts-biodefense-strategy-but-slashes-funding-to-detect-and-combat-outbreaks-like-coronavirus/

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:40am

Donald J. Trump
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

- - - -

OOPS! on the stock market ClapClap  OuchOuch
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 4:37am

The Post reports that White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow has been trying to dismiss drops in the market, saying investors should take advantage of opportunities, however points out: “The rosy sheen that Trump, Kudlow and other White House officials have tried to express about the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak has now collided with reality: The coronavirus is spreading, quickly, to more countries. The death toll is rising, and the outbreak is wreaking havoc on global supply chains.”

With that in mind, the president is reportedly furious with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over briefings given to the public and the resultant drop in the market due to panicking investors.

Noting, “Trump is highly concerned about the market and has encouraged aides not to give predictions that might cause further tremors,” the report adds, “Now, White House officials’ efforts to contain the economic fallout from the coronavirus have created new political hazards, as they publicly play down the threat while other federal officials with a background in health and diseases are warning of more severe consequences for inaction. The administration also risks creating new health hazards, should the pressure to assure investors of economic stability undercut its public health message about the mounting threat.”

Responding to reports about chaos in the administration on coronavirus messaging, White House spokesman Judd Deere stated, ““Unfortunately what we are seeing today is a political effort by the Left and some in the media to distract and disturb the American people with fearful rhetoric and palace intrigue. The United States economy is the strongest in the world thanks to the leadership and policies of President Trump. The virus remains low risk domestically because of the containment actions taken by this Administration since the first of the year.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/trump-silencing-white-house-officials-from-talking-about-coronavirus-to-keep-stock-market-up-report/

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 2:10pm
CHUMP AGAIN THINKS THIS IS ALL ABOUT 

HIM.....

WHAT A COMPLETE FOOL THIS NARSICTIC  BOUFOON IS
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 2:13pm
Yes carbon20. And we're the ones who will pay for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic