Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Anxiety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalo989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anxiety
    Posted: January 24 2020 at 10:30pm
I’m new to the forum, I found it off of a fb group I joined. I’m very scared of everything going on right now. Downright pit of my stomach, can hardly focus on anything else worried. I’ve worried for years about something like this, and it all seems to be happening just the way I imagined it would. No one seems to be taking it seriously and my husband is thinking I am way blowing this out of proportion.

I have so much anxiety worrying about everyone and everything. I wish I had the resources to prep more, because I only have a 72 hour kit for each of my family members.
My husband doesn’t take it seriously and I am scared he won’t until it’s too late. I want to start stocking up on food, but he thinks it’s a waste of money and that I’m overreacting.

This one seems bad. I remember Ebola and SARS and MERS and this one feels very different. There seems to be so much hidden and secretive about this. China seems to be hiding how severe it all is. And it feels like the rest of the world is going to catch on too late.

Is anyone else having problems dealing with the worry and anxiety of it all? I feel like I am spiraling with worry and obsessively trying to find new and up to date info. I am so scared that if I don’t, I won’t be able to be prepared.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:19pm
16 years prepping and I’m having a bunch of “oh crap, it’s actually happening” moments lately. You’re not alone.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:20pm
Slalo989 - To start with only believe half of what you read and question the other half! I had the same problem with my wife when I first started prepping! She thought I was nuts! (To tell you the truth I may be!) Then we had an ice storm and had to live without power for over a month! Now she preps more than I do! You're in the game late but that's ok because most of the time these things burn themselves out pretty quickly! I suggest starting slow with a Bug Out Bag (BOB)! This is a bag you can grab on the run in case of natural disasters like Tornadoes, earth quakes, etc. As far as prepping start with a few weeks worth of canned goods. Canned tuna, chicken, ham, beans, soups, etc! enough for at least one substantial meal every day! Make sure you buy things you like to eat because you will need to rotate your stock! And finally, welcome to the group! There are a lot of good people here who all have some worry and anxiety, just like you!
Buy more ammo!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:32pm
Being scared is normal. I started prepping in 2006 when I joined this forum. Here is what I suggest for prepping. purchase canned items that you will use in every day life, like can chicken, tuna, Peanut butter, jelly crackers, can vegeggies you use, soups, and any other type of can foods, rice, beans, noodles, spaghetti sauce can or jars, jello, and most important lots of water. Get lots of water.

If you can put extra of these items your husband will really should not complain because they are things you use anyway just more of it.

Like arirish says welcome and we are all worried we hope to help others through this and maybe it will burn out but get ready.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 4:19am
The risk of becoming a "loonie prepper" is probably greater than the risk of this virus. But prepping just means thinking a little bit ahead. Stock up on those things you always use - just have a little more. Include all your regular meds and a pack of asprin (it treats a huge range of things from heart disease, stroke and arthritis to fever and pain. If you can't afford a whole pharmacy it supplies about 60% of it. Most people keep a box of candles in case of power cuts, why not keep two? Rationed, a candle keeps you going for a week! Although if rationed that desperately you will need extra matches.

Surgical masks and swim goggles will be enough for most people, as sip (sheltering in place) is the best option in an outbreak. Isolation is the best approach! And remember hand sanitiser! "Droplet infection" is usually self-administered when we touch our faces with invisibly contaminated hands. The masks and goggles only look like they are to protect us from being sneezed on or coughed over; they are really there to stop us touching our faces. If you can't get a mask, a fine scarf will do, rinse it in vinegar (most viruses hate acids but vinegar is not going to destroy your face along with the viruses).

Bread will go off as will meat and veggies. Got a freezer? plan a fortnights worth and that will see you through the worst. Eat the freezer contents for the first two weeks and the canned for the second. In the second fortnight, the crackers replace bread, and tinned replaces frozen. The really long-term stores are generally dried, but that is less likely to be an issue. Many of us are obsessive (me too!) and most of the rest of our preps are for far less likely emergencies. Keep a torch with spare batteries and a small first aid kit and you are covered for almost anything. A primus stove, barbecue with charcoal, open chimney with a woodpile, can cook dinner if the power goes out, I have cooked on a stove filled with household rubbish, a ring of nightlights under a baking rack supported on 4 tins and by bringing my beans to the boil briefly and putting the hot stuff into a thermos overnight to finish cooking. You will manage, I promise!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 5:27am
Hi Salo,

I'm an ex cold-war serviceman five years RAF, 4 years RAF defence force (founder member) 15 years as a mercernary. I was born in the second world war and I can tell you this: there are only two types of people who are not afraid in this sort of situation, the insane and the stupid.

This present outbreak is reported by most of the governments of the world in the form of lies and damn lies, because they do not want panic amongst their people. There is two thirds possibility of the cause being zooanotic one third an escape from a military laboratory level 4 in Wuhan.

We live on a smallholding on a hill (17 acres, mostly woodland, in Scotland) We have 5 years worth of preps, our own water, sewage and the option to farm. We have had two short-term emergencies in the 11 years we have lived here; both caused by extreme weather conditions. Thanks to our prepping each emergency turned into a-bit-of-a-laugh. But a couple of weeks without food, electricity, water and with no transport to the nearest city (Aberdeen 47 miles away) could have been fatal instead of fun.

So don't let anyone put you down or critisize you for being prepared. It is for their benefit too.

Be safe.
I like Ike
Slalo989 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalo989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 5:37am
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

A few years ago I made some bug out bags for us with some medical supplies, 3 days worth of freeze dried food, life straws, some sterno and a portable grill, masks, gloves, flashlights and lighters, toilet paper, feminine supplies, uno card game (lol), some very small tools and a number of other things. I have a tote that we can grab with other things I’ve squirreled away too. But I’m worried this is going to be longer than I have prepped for.

I convinced my husband about the “72 hour preparedness kits” but when I told him I wanted to get at least a month worth’s of food, he really thought I had gone off the deep end. Maybe I have? He did order us a box of surgical masks. I wanted the N95, but kept telling myself I was crazy and that it’s not necessary. I guess the only good thing with the “sleeper” situations is you’ll have time to get those last minute supplies if you’re paying close enough attention. That’s what I’m trying to do.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 6:02am
SIP for infectious diseases is usually best. How about swim goggles for the eyes? He does not even have to see that as a prep.

Can't get enough hand santitiser? A bottle of spirits will do almost as well.

You could also fill your handwash bottles in the bathroom with hibiscrub or triscrub. It's just handwash isn't it!. If he prefers soap bars, how about carbolic?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 7:15am
During the Swine Flu outbreak, hand sanitizer ran out in no time, while the shelves stayed pretty much fully stocked with rubbing alcohol. Take away the perfumes and skin conditioners and it’s the same thing, and often cheaper. Not as kind to your hands, but very effective. Mix it with aloe and you have a very good alternative.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 7:25am
Before minimum alchol pricing and before I found several alcohol rub cases going cheap, the local supermarket sold very cheap gin. When we had a plumbing problem and had to limit water use, I'm sure our friends thought we had another problem. We stank of gin for a while!

It worked though!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:51pm
If you are short of money for preps go with dried beans and pulses. They are so cheap. Split green or yellow peas, pearl barley, lentils. Super cheap and they last for years. Just be sure you've got water.

Try contacting a local butchery supply company. These are normally warehouse type businesses that supply butchers with knives, seasonings, bulk salt etc. Natural sausage casings come in plastic packs that arrive in huge food grade barrels with screw on lids. These barrels are virtually indestructible and about 55 gallons in size. I can buy them for $20 each (a contribution to the staff Christmas party) as these barrels are waste products once the casings have sold.

Buy as many as you can get and store water in them. I cure my hams in them every year and there is no leaching at all. They're great barrels. Then you can use tap water and add bleach when needed and keep replacing the water until the tap runs dry. It's a cheap way to store water.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 1:32pm
Interesting ordered 100 surgical masks that were in stock now I will not get them until Feb 14 - March 9. Guess I may never get them. Lucky I have plenty of N95 masks. Just got these for incase someone in the house is sick they could wear these to contain better.   Will see if I get them.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 1:32pm
One other thing - and this may sound flippant but I'm not trying to be - be sure, when you're prepping, to put in some luxury items that no one knows about but you. By this I mean some kind of treat that you can bring out when everyone is starting to despair. It'll do wonders for morale. Things such as a packet of cookies, boiled sweets, a bar of chocolate.

Believe me, something sweet when all else fails can save the day.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 1:39pm
Yep I have put those in my preps but I am waiting until next weekend to see how bad this gets and I will purchase more chocolate chips...always a hit and you can make lots of things with them.   I am keeping a running list of not necessary but nice to have.

You know Kiwimum that we have been getting ready for this for a long time and we have anxiety about this one. I feel sorry for those who will be running to the store for basics to try and SIP and not starve. Hope this Forum helps people.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 1:46pm
Amazon masks almost completely out or on back order until February, Walmart.dot.com out of masks, Lowe’s home improvement stores out also. I have little faith in masks and think isolation is the best protection. But there’s more people prepping than would admit if you want my opinion. Hubby has made fun of me a little for heightened conversation, but he did give out college kid a little speech about avoiding sick people and washing hands frequently and was in a serious tone. Hopefully in a week if this progresses my secret stash will be a relief. If not, it stays between me and God a little longer. Anyone’s guess about the next hottest item that will be unavailable hand sanitizer, gloves?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:08pm
People don’t really think about gloves, but hand sanitizer will definitely be flying off the shelf soon. It’s always one of the first things to disappear.

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:12pm
Something no one here has mentioned but is very important....don't tell anyone you're prepping!!! If the sh@t does but the fan, others will show up to get your stuff. I say this because in the bird flu scare, I tried informing my co-workers about being prepared and got laughed at and told by more than one of them that they'll just come steal mine. And they were not joking
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:21pm
Exactly right, nc_girl. I think most of us know to keep our heads down, but this is when it when it really counts. Heck, even my wife doesn’t know much I’ve set aside

LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:25pm
Take advantage of your local grocery stores' BOGO deals! Often there are digital coupons that can be used, too! As mentioned, buy stuff you eat. If you don't eat ramen noodles, then don't buy them (even though they may be $.10 a pouch)! My local grocery store had a bunch of their meats BOGO. So I bought a couple of packages of different meats. I came home, put them in freezer bags and put them in my freezer. They also had dried rice BOGO - score! And the dried beans were BOGO - another score! Although these are items we rarely eat, I break the 'if you don't eat it, don't buy it' rule for rice, beans, and dry pasta. Those items last nearly forever...and I know my family will show up when the SHTF. When you're buying items for your stash, check the 'best by' dates. I'm trying to get things that will last a year - found some good till 2023. :)
Slalo-989 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalo-989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:51pm
Well I was explaining to my husband how scared I am of all of it and he understood why I am scared. We bought some really inexpensive items from the store, ramen, rice, canned goods and crackers. We got easy to heat frozen stuff too for initially. It’s not nearly enough for extended amount of time, but could probably get us 2 weeks.

We also bought some bleach, a few more cans of sterno, a four bottles of hand sanitizers, some N95 respirators and our surgical masks came in today.

Of course. Checking out at the grocery our cashier was Typhoid Mary and told us she had been sick for 3 days and taking DayQuil and NyQuil every day 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️😷😷😷

We work from home so at least I’d we have to SIP we will still have money coming in. We work for a company that does non emergency medical transportation management and work remotely so no contact is necessary with anyone. Now we just need to hope we can stock up more before it all hits the fan.

Thanks everyone for the advice today.

So it seems like I’m not alone in having a lot of anxiety and worry about all this!! Makes me feel better!
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:20pm
Ok, so hubby is not interested in prepping or don't care about you enough to prep/ I was in that situation with my family. I decided to plan an off site stash of preps. I had a storage unit that I used with a friend at work. I brought some bins at Walmart and started my own preps. the storage unit is easy to get to and is secure. So I started to gather some supplies. I now have enough for the whole family and can get it loaded into the truck in about 30 minutes. Another way to prep is to have freeze dried food ready to go in the basement. it is marked as toys and serves as a back up.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:08pm
NC girl when my co workers said they would come get mine I told them I would shoot them without regret. They shut up because they knew I would kill them on the spot. They know me well.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by ME163 ME163 wrote:

Ok, so hubby is not interested in prepping or don't care about you enough to prep/ I was in that situation with my family. I decided to plan an off site stash of preps. I had a storage unit that I used with a friend at work. I brought some bins at Walmart and started my own preps. the storage unit is easy to get to and is secure. So I started to gather some supplies. I now have enough for the whole family and can get it loaded into the truck in about 30 minutes. Another way to prep is to have freeze dried food ready to go in the basement. it is marked as toys and serves as a back up.

You’re my new hero. To say I’m impressed doesn’t come close. Awesome

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:16pm
In our kitchen we use storage jars (often on display). Every time I get worried about possible disruption of supplies (virus, or tension in the Straits of Hormuz) then I check that all jars are full and I have a spare box or two.

This way:
a) it does not look like you are stocking up.
b) you have supplies of things that you use, as the saying goes Store what you eat and eat what you store.

This will not serve for a long term emergence, but it will help cover the short term and be less of a disruption to one's eating pattern.

BTW, many items that one keeps in the fridge have long shelf lives (in terms of months). This includes things like cheese, salami, butter, cream in sealed container, eggs. These things will make life much more bearable if a disruption goes on for weeks.

ps. eggs do not need storing in the fridge, but turning them every week will help them keep.
pps. root vegetables also can be kept for a long time, and can be cheap (but are off most 'prepper' lists as the time scale is not in multiple years!), so only stock up if you would use them in the regular run of life.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:18pm
Me 163 you did good! Freeze dried is pretty much all I have.   That and dehydrated all in sealed cans. I quit eating canned foods years ago with the exception of canned chicken, tuna and jar spaghetti sauce . My basement even in the hottest summer never goes above 72 degrees most of the year it is 60 or.below. Be sure to get your stuff as soon as thing look bad because storage units seem safe but bolt cutters will let people in.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:14am
So glad you came to an agreement.

Lets hope we are all wrong. But at least now you can sleep nights.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 5:14am
Wuhan Flu is a powderpuff.

Only people with pre existing conditions are dying. Most people have a sore throat and a bit of a cough. It only looks bad because the Chinese government is full of $hit. They covered up the problem initially. The numbers were vastly under report, which makes the virus look like it has a high death rate.

Now they are coming clean with the number infected. They announced in 3 days a 400% increase in numbers. This is ridiculous. One doctor spoke out and said the numbers sick is closer to 100,000

I'm convinced its not much worse than normal influenza.

Having said that. Get some face masks, goggles and avoid getting sick. Don't stress out. Go for a run. Get fit.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 6:09am
Question: if an infected person that has no symptoms was on a plane, I believe we now know that it's possible they transmitted the virus to other people on the flight. Right?

Taking it to the next step, is anything they touched on the plane then still contaminated and contagious for several days?

Slalo-989 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalo-989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 6:40am
This has been my fear since they announced the quarantine. So many people leaving, with such a long incubation period. Not sure why no one saw problems with that. If you can spread a cold or influenza before having symptoms not sure why they were trying to pretend this wouldn’t be a problem. The first case in Washington had close contact with over 40 people if I recall correctly. So if the R0 is nearly 3, this becomes a big problem in the US in another 5-8 days.

I told my husband by next weekend I feel like we should know more. I feel like it will either be getting better and burning out or it will be getting really really bad.

I wish there was more first hand accounts from China. It seems like the videos that were making the rounds have tapered off. I just watched a man in Hong Kong but he was reading the same tweets that I have been seeing. It’s frustrating that anything official seems to be diluted down and anything from a local person is all revved up. It makes it so hard to know what is authentic.

Why hasn’t the media started talking about it! Everyone I know that I’ve talked to or met recently knows about it. But why does it seem like other than local news outlets and online articles, it’s not being properly reported. Elderly and those most susceptible to it aren’t going to be getting their information online. Is it that bad that they are holding off reporting so people don’t panic?
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:10am
Are you following the Facebook group that this site created? There are a lot of Chinese people posting on there.

In the last hour I've read three or four reports about college students being suspected of having the virus, in different states. So if they've been going to classes for a week or two... 😲
Slalo-989 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalo-989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:25am
Yes I am in that group, that was how I found the forum here. 😊 it’s been interesting reading those posts, but I also feel like a lot are intentionally trying to scare people.

My husband probably my thinks I’m cheating with all the time I’ve been on my phone lately. I feel like I’m being secretive just so he doesn’t know how obsessed I am right now LOL 😂

We live in a college down with a large population of Chinese students and I’m worried they were all traveling home and got back without having symptoms. Even our favorite Chinese food restaurant is closed until 2/3 for the Chinese New Year.
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:33am
Slalo - If it helps, I joined this forum over 16 years ago with the outbreak of some avian flus. When i first joined, I was just like you and it seemed bigger to me than it really was because I hadn't been in this world. So PLEASE believe me when I say this.....its always been this way. Even before I joined! Its a sky is falling type scenario. Its been going on forever with the advent of bomb shelters, and just progressed. You can't read too much into it. Its kind of like buying a house or leaving your kids for the first time. It seems SOOO huge until you actually do it. These viruses come and go and at the onset they all seem terrible. Medical technology and abilities have far surpassed the abilities of a virus to spread really fast in the US. I do think this one feels different but I don't see it as a 1918 type thing! Just relax. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Just be prepared. Also my husband thought I was crazy at the beginning too and it was the time that show "preppers" came out and some of those folks were bat ***** crazy! He eventually got over it! Hang in there!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:47am
I work in a high school in northern Va. We had in December a major flu A outbreak that in my students had them out for a week or more. Their symptoms were similar except no major body aches and minimal fever. Could some of the people be just getting Type A flu? I wish someone would clarify the symptoms for both and which is which. In general this type A was mild in teenagers but as it spread within school to the millennials who are many of our teachers and staff they had high fevers and many of them had to have nebulizer treatments and were very sick for 2 weeks and have coughs still for another week . The over 60 crowd got their flu shots and so far have not gotten sick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic