Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Off Topic Discussion > Talk about anything
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

How long could you survive under lock down?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long could you survive under lock down?
    Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:27pm
If your government locked you down tomorrow how long could you last?

Wuhan is 2.5 -3 days under lock down! How long will a city of 11.9 million last without daily deliveries of the necessities of life! How long will it be before the country starts the inevitable descent into chaos and anarchy? I'm sure they will last longer than most Western country's would but sooner or later the people will say enough! How long before the Central Committee sends in the military?      
Buy more ammo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 1:00am
I plan on 3 months,hard rations,

I don't worry about getting and dying of a virus,

That's the luck of the draw!!!,

Not having enough to eat,

That is just plain stupidity......
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.đź––

Marcus Aurelius
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:20am
I agree. My concern is not getting the virus. These things happen but I could never watch my kids die so i have a full month of supplies but if we knew it was going to be longer it could be rationed and spread to 2 months. we have a gas grill, and gas heater. We keep a stockpile of medicine and masks. we don't have actual googles but could use swim goggles.Without the fresh fruits and veggies,I have a supply of chewy gummies for us all to get the vitamin C. Not everything we need but enough to keep my kids comfortable in case we have to SIP.
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 10:18am
We have 3 months of freeze dried food and rice, beans and trail mix. meds are up to date. Ammo and guns oiled and ready to go, masks and gloves.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:55am
We have 3-6 months of canned and freeze dried food and masks, gloves, and OTC medicines. My goal would be to have my family SIP until a vaccine is developed.

I work in public utilities (drinking water and electrical production and distribution) so I am not sure if I can avoid going to work, too many people are counting on what we do. We are pulling our emergency management team together this coming week to update our pandemic plan and try to get the agency better prepared.

QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:07pm
Hey quietprepr, you said a mouthful when you said the emergency management team is meeting to update the pandemic plan. That tells me that cities and counties are getting ready as they should. Good information.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:11pm
Oh how long could I survive lockdown...well that depends on how many I will have in my house. My son has a girlfriend an only child too so I may have to have her parents here.   If there are 4 of us 6-9 months. Just have to get my water cubes ready with lots of water put in the basement. Need my son for that one. If it is just me a 1.5 to 2 years. I have a lot of freeze/dehydrated foods stored.
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:25am
My main concern is for my partner, she has COPD and many other health issues. She has spinal cord injury and uses a sleep machine. We have the storage unit for back ups. She is really a miracle of god and I want her to be safe.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:29am
I 'grock' your problems there.

I also admire your steadfastness.

Luckily SIP can be managed even with machinery and lots of meds. Lots of planning for you though.

Be safe.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:40am
Before we starve, or before we kill each other?

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:44am
Jacksdad....”**note to self, buy more wine”
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:57am

I have a lot of hand sanitizer if things get really grim

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:27am
I have a lot of wine!    
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:32am
That's why its called SIP....   
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 1:55pm
We have plenty of alcohol. Just in case...
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 9:25pm
You can always tell who's a newbie and who's an old timer here because the newbie's are freaking out and the old timers are joking around! I've really come to like a bunch of you! Keep safe!
Buy more ammo!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 4:19am
Eventually everyone dies. In the words of the late lamented Terry Pratchett (well the words of the orang-utang librarian in his wizard's library): "Eventually the graveyards are full of everybody."

There are three important tricks......

1, put it off as long as possible,
2, help those you can (but only without increasing the risk to you and yours substantially).
3, (THE IMPORTANT ONE!) enjoy the ride.

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 2:52am
Originally posted by hoosiermom22 hoosiermom22 wrote:

Jacksdad....”**note to self, buy more wine”

Good lord, almost forgot to take a inventory, me and wife have been casually rotating the old stuff, (to make sure it was still good of course :)
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Hey quietprepr, you said a mouthful when you said the emergency management team is meeting to update the pandemic plan. That tells me that cities and counties are getting ready as they should. Good information.

FluMom, it has been triggered for a while now. One of my MD contacts in the FBI wrote this:

Please pass this on to the FBI InfraGard board and sector chiefs as a concern for Critical infrastructure owners and operators.
Thanks
Terry

FBI https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51318246

We learned a lot from SARS and all have emergency response plans. I work in water/wastewater infrastructure and have helped to write some of these.
CRS, DrPH
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:07pm
I like the way the FBI linked the BBC rather than a USA news vendor.   

Maybe it would be seen as more neutral politically to use a British source???

Anyway, Well done BBC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:54pm
CRS people are worried but it is not here yet. Yes one or two here or there but seems contained here in the U.S.

We will see it coming if it comes. I did my 6 week out shopping last Saturday I have a 4 week out list so I will see where we are at in 4 weeks. Thanks for all your insight.
Emswally View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emswally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 5:45pm
Hi all. New to this Forum.   Work as a first responder
And the management added more PPE for this situation on the
21 st.    I started following intently and stocking up for that
Just in case moment.    More worried about dealing with
Sick patients at work for the most part. Have enough
To last around 3 months. See what happens.

Idaho
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 6:01pm
Welcome aboard, Emswally.

Assuming you did get the virus (God forbid!) the vast majority of people recover unscathed. So get fit now. Good diet, lots of exercise and be one of the recovered!

If, as expected you avoid it, all is great - but you got fit too which is a bonus, if not then you beat it easily and nothing is lost.

Wishing you all the best.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:15am
Sadly, I'm not sure, a few years ago I could say a year. I plan on doing an inventory of my pantry this weekend and see what I have and what I need.
Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 5:25pm
Hi, Tech, with you being in Scotland I would think you might have drambuie...that would kill anything. Saw they think the skeleton of Nessie washed ashore after the recent storm.
Sheep Lady
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 5:46pm
Nah! I'm a Macallan drinker. I used to like Laphrohaig, but they changed the recipe and I can't stand it now.

But I love my Macallan.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 5:54pm
We've got a very well stocked drinks cabinet. If it all goes pear shaped at least we will be able to enjoy a nip or two.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 6:01pm
Cheers!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 6:20pm
I hope this just kills us old people and does not mutate like 1918 Spanish and kill the young.
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:45pm
Between the preps, gardens, greenhouses, animals, and what swims in the waters, lives in the shellfish flats, walks in the woods, grows in the woods we can go for years. Perhaps 50 people live with in 25 miles of us, and we take a boat ride to get to the dock where our vehicle is parked, thence a 90 minute drive to the nearest shopping.
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:55pm
Our weak underbelly is my wife, who is a walking encyclopedia of all things medical, food preservation, herbalism and a lot more, is a type 1 diabetic. We have years of her supplies, and years of insulin, but it does have a shelf life.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 9:09pm
Do you have to keep her medication refrigerated?
Legacy57 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 9:44pm
About 3 months at the very most, I guess.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 3:44am
That is the problem with killing off the old. You lose too much knowledge.

The only thing I can suggest, Thorne, is that you research the Ketosis diet. It is now used for epilepsy and weight loss, but it was originally invented to keep insulin dependant diabetics alive.

It would be a risky and difficult thing, but it would buy time to get things back together.

Above all, don't worry too much. I do see supply-line problems, but neither forever, nor too extreme. This ios not a slate wiper; it might be a reset.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 7:25am
An interesting conversation about knowledge lost. I had with my niece last night was her dream to buy a farm and have all her "oldsters" in one place so she could watch over them. I told her she needed to revamp things and make it her five year plan. Both her father (my brother) and I seen to have the most the knowledge to make a sustainable community. As we are all in our 60's and my family is not long lived, she needs to do it sooner rather than later.
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Do you have to keep her medication refrigerated?

Yes, the insulin needs to be refrigerated to get the longest shelf life.

While living/working in India I did an experiment with flash freezing insulin using "poor man's liquid nitrogen". What can I say. . . I'm a Science teacher. It was pretty cool. If you try it at home be sure your container can handle the temps, as well as what the container is resting on. (ask me how I know!)

Once thawed the insulin was still effective.

Link: http://amasci.com/amateur/liquid_n2.html

Edited to add: Insulin will denature when frozen in a regular fridge freezer or home freezer. It takes to long to freeze and denatures. DO NOT DO THAT.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 6:26pm
Do you have off grid power?
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Do you have off grid power?

Yes, a 5.4 Kw system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic