Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Post What You Are Finding GONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post What You Are Finding GONE
    Posted: January 26 2020 at 1:35pm
Well, I think we can judge what is happening in the minds of people with what we are finding gone when we go shopping for our preps.   Like I said in my other post masks are pretty much out of stock at retailers around Denver.

Someone is paying attention. I am going back to Sam's later this week so I will see what is happening there.

I am going to make this a sticky because stuff is now going to disappear fast in the next few weeks.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 2:39pm
I was at Sam's last night, brought my 16yr old and told him to watch and see if people were looking at what we bought with the large cart...we both noticed people looking...maybe because we were paying attention or because there are others paying attention I don't know.

But here in Florida, stuff can go sideways quick with the panic buying when we get a hurricane.....you certainly don't want to get caught off guard.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:11pm
In San Jose, a local CostCo in an area with a significant population of recent arrival Chinese), about 5-10% were already wearing surgical masks. N95s and other masks are essentially out, running low, or back-ordered locally. In the last few days, many N95 respirators sold out online (Amazon, eBay). Still finding some, but prices are about 4-5x now. I had on an N95. Got a few strange looks, but if there is any time to be wearing it, imo, it's now, as there are so many known an unknowns favoring precaution: long incubation, asymptomatic contagiousness, high population of travelers for CNY, high Ro, etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:18pm
pheasant when I went Friday night and got my supplies one of the managers looked my cart over to see what I had. I did not get as much water as I wanted because I did not want to raise suspicions and I had such a variety it did not look like I was "prepping". I am sure that all the "clubs" are trained to look for hoarding or panic buying. But I will be going back this week to get what I want especially more water. I have a lot of freeze dry and dehydrated foods so I need water. The bottle water is to get me through as I get all my water cubes filled.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:33pm
Masks gone everywhere. I’ve stopped at CVS, Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Amazon. Costco= zero bottles of hand sanitizer. At the afore mentioned stores still 3-6 larger type size bottles. I’ve decided to just stop on my way home every days and buy a few random mixed preps. Still selling refillable water containers on Amazon.
grits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 6:13pm
Masks. Really the only thing I noticed.
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 7:45pm
We just got back from our local Winco here in the Phoenix area, and all of the large bags of rice were gone, as well as all but one of the large bags of hard white wheat.

Masks are out everywhere I’ve looked online.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:01pm
BeachMama, to make a complete protein with rice you need beans. So next time see if beans are gone too...lol. Most people do not know that you need that combination for a complete protein.

I think masks are going to be hard to get because hospitals and doctors offices are possibly putting in orders and I bet they are first in line to fill.

Hope you are looking for N95 masks!

This was a good find because it says people are paying attention.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:13pm
Another great suggestion and thread!
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:45pm
going to my local stores tomorrow, will check out harbor freight and dollar tree. will get batteries and some water at Walmart. This is going to get nasty soon. We need to get a couple of things that may just complete the mess of water and other preps.
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 9:06pm
How long do you think we will be in SIP? I am looking at Chinese take on this and have 17 days
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 9:33pm
Please study the SARS experience. We learned that, by ignoring the outbreak, the virus was spread by air travel to Hong Kong, Viet Nam, Ireland, Singapore, Canada and the USA.   Careful case identification and isolation of patients in hospitals burned the outbreak out. Please see this graphic.

If you don't recognize the name of Dr. Carlo Urbani of WHO, please read about him.

China goofed up again, and they will pay the price this time. Unless you are reading this post from China, you have nothing to worry about.

CRS, DrPH
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 10:05pm
Flumom, great thread.

So I've just been to town and popped into the local pharmacy to get some more multi vits. I'm friendly with the pharmacist and he stepped out to tell me that today has been madness with about 500 calls about masks. He said that his pharmacutecal supplier can only provide them with a few and then they are out of stock, so he's keeping those for his staff. He also can't order hand sanitizer it's completely out of stock at the wholesalers. He sent an assistant out to buy up all the stock she could find in town for their staff to use at the counter.

I went to a big box retailer here and the girl told me that they were out of stock of sanitizer and strangely they couldn't order anymore from their wholesaler. So I went on to a large supermarket out of town and found some on the shelf and I bought 10 large bottles. Then I went back to the pharmacy to tell them where there was remaining stock as they only managed to get 6 bottles themselves.

I also saw a couple in the supermarket who were definitely prepping for a SIP spell. They weren't preppers, but were discussing what they'd need as they went round. They were getting a good mix of proteins and carbs but only with a small trolley so maybe planning on a fortnight and not longer.

The pharmacist said to me "it's going to be madness by the end of the week".

We are living in interesting times that's for sure.

All I need now is more fuel, and some more chicken food.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 10:41pm
Good post! You guys are closer to ground zero than th U.S. but we have no N95 masks in retail stores.   I will check the hand sanitizer at big box later this week. Thanks for the update!
Emswally View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emswally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 5:49am
Idaho.    Doesn’t seem like much of anything is unavailable. Did get some looks at Costco when I loaded up though
nzdad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 1:38am
facemasks are currently sold out across major centres in new zealand.
[and we havent had a confirmed case here yet]

https://play.stuff.co.nz/details/_6127049621001

prepare for the worst,hope for the best.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 6:43am
literally zero face masks in Adelaide. It was reported on the news.
Apparently most of them went due to the bush fires, so we were already low.

Hand sanitizer is also very difficult to get.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 7:46am
Make your own hand sanitizer. Simple recipe is:

2/3 isopropyl alcohol
1/3 aloe vera gel

a few drops of essential oil to make it smell nice is optional. But I'd go with Tea Tree oil or Lavendar.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:08am
Bloomberg are reporting a global face-mask shortage. Sorry, I can't post the article - I've run out of freebies.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:13am
As I was updating my preps with a few orders last night, I saw several sites I buy freeze dried foods from had "out of stock" on numerous items. Have never seen more than one or two items out in the past.
N 95's are out of stock in my area and disappearing online. I have a large stock already but wanted to buy more to give to friends and family if needed.

QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:57am
Ok, so I have tried to order a few additional N95 masks to be prepared to give to friends and family. As many others have stated, N95 masks out of stock in the US in many physical places, and many online sources, including Amazon, eBay, etc. Some are still indicating available, but if you look carefully shipping dates are into 2-3 weeks.

A pro tip: consider different N95 respirators, or N100, P100 respirators. Check out local safety supply stores like Grainger, if you are in US. They still had them in stock and shipped in two days.

However, be prepared for some of your orders to be cancelled, like this notification I just received from an eBay seller. Fortunately, I expected this possibility, and a different order just arrived, so I think I'm set. If this turns into a long-term situation, the one-time use respirators may not be as economical as a reusable mask with replaceable filters. If that happens, I don't think many people will be going outside, and instead will be SIP. Perhaps it's ridiculous to imagine that scenario, but there isn't a lot of downside to spending a few bucks to be prepared just in case.

Glupa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Long term valued member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:18am
I was searching for N95 disposables yesterday on Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace and Walmart. Something I thought was interesting was that while Lowes and Home Depot listed the masks as being in stock, they weren’t available for delivery, only pickup. Same with Walmart and Ace though they listed very little in stock. And as Babycat pointed out, those available for delivery, at least on Amazon yesterday, had delivery dates out by at least 2 weeks.
Seems folks are paying more attention this time around. Good for them.
socalmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socalmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:52am
Southern California here. I live next door to March Air Reserve Base where the Wuhan plane was diverted to. N95 or better masks are close to impossible to find. Home Depot and Lowes websites will not ship them now, and only say that there is limited stock in stores. Might be something there when you get there, might not. I'm not finding any. Amazon's listings are decimated, unless you want to wait a few weeks for a backorder, or buy from price gougers selling packs of 10 masks for more than $100. Uline is also completely wiped out of masks also.

I found an industrial supply website that had some in stock and isn't price gouging, so I placed an order which worked out about two dollars a mask. Their website seems mostly for b2b (business to business) rather than b2c (business to consumer) but it took my order. We'll see if they fulfill it. If they do we should have some masks by the end of the week. Other than that I found some sellers on eBay that had decent shipping times. Not as fast as amazon prime's shipping but the masks should be here the first week of February. The ebay prices are a little better, just over a dollar a mask. I placed orders last night. Two of my three ebay orders have already confirmed shipping.
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 1:18pm
Walmart and homedepot no mask.
Walmart no hydrogen peroxide
No 91% rubbing alchohol
Pretty much cleaning disinfect items
Lots of can soup almost gone @ walmart

PrepGirl
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 8:50am
I just stopped at a local Home Depot (Jacksonville, FL area) and they had a bunch of N95 masks on the shelves.
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 8:56am
Try hardware store ? We have some in Va at Lowes and Home Depot
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 9:07am
Just had half of an order of freeze dried food cancelled by the vendor.Time to hit some others and place an even bigger order!
QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 10:56am
I’ve been watching for that to happen on Amazon.....so far in stock still. It’s not the virus but the panic “Black Friday+ end of the world” shoppers that might be scary!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 11:48pm
I'm glad I already have some N95 masks. I haven't really been in too many stores lately, but I have noticed most of the hospitals, doctors offices and I was at a surgery center today with my daughter and most have those hospital masks and hand sanitizer out for people to put on if they want to. Going to Sam's this weekend so I will see what's going on there.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:14am
Hey Penham you are back! We did not know where you were so Albert gave me your chief mod title...I give it up happily. Just tell Albert to change me back to whatever I was.

Say I did not know there is a good buy date on N95 masks but mine have been in a cool basement so I am sure they are still good. Glad you are back!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:19am
I didn't know there was a buy date on them either. Mine are in plastic in the original boxes. But hey, we eat expired food and it's fine......
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:29am
Yes I think that if they are stored in 100 degree heat in an outdoor shed that might be a problem for the masks but stored well I don’t see a problem.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 2:29am
Penham!
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 4:53pm
Sams had it all no empty spots. Some extra hand sanitizer gone but plenty available. Not sure if this is good or bad, maybe people are not paying attention and that is bad!
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 8:26am
I was in grocery store (city of 35k) late last week and they were completely out of the Clorox wipes in small size, had a few lg size left... the small size was on sale so I don't know if ppl were thinking 'grab a couple just to be safe' but I've never noticed them out of stock before. A friend works at Walmart - she said their location (bigger centre) has been out of bleach for almost a month and hasn't been able to get more in?
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 9:27am
Hydrogen peroxide at Wal-Mart for some reason.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 9:30am
Great virucide and gives off oxygen with a catalyst.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 1:38pm
Often times, the Target I live by keeps running low on TP. As for disinfecting products, they are good, but OTC meds keep running low and restock slowly.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
socalmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socalmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 4:16pm
A lot of the more popular emergency food storage websites are getting low on stock, out of stock, and backordered (such as Augason Farms). I wonder if this is an indicator of people starting to panic.

The New York Times today mentioned that people across China are having problems getting food since people there are now hoarding food (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html - see the section about "China struggles to keep food available and prices affordable") so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a surge of prepping underway here in the States.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 4:47pm
I started shopping a week ago. Unfortunately most of my stock was gone. Donated to food pantry when it. got close to expire. My mindset went from hyper alert to Pollyanna for awhile. So,this week I went from zero to ninety,meals x w 2. My father refuses to come here to SIP. I packed the freezer,lots of meat 45 days,shelf stable 90, black beans and rice 60 and last backup ramen for 120,x2 and everything in between. I have found no shortage of anything,my hardware store I picked up 12 n95 easy breathe. I asked the guy if he is selling a lot of masks.Yep. Aldi's Price-rite,all decked out with mile high canned goods,the usual ravioli,soups,evap milk,so prep traffic must have picked up. Starting 6 daysago the stores looked more normal? No cut case in bulk.
So now I'm going to lay low for the next week and see what happens. When I prep shop I always feel I am on a secret mission.Looking at the normal food in everybody's cart.,they seem oblivious.
Glupa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Long term valued member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 5:19pm
Just a curious little note from rural SWVA. Our last 2 shopping trips (1to Food City the other to Walmart) both the number of people shopping and the amount of food in their carts were much more than we’ve normally seen. It closely resembled what you’d see when a snow or rain storm has been predicted. Right down to the little knots of people quietly (almost furtively) talking to each other. Completely anecdotal and random but I found it interesting.
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 8:26pm
Pretty sure the prepping is picking up steam. The price of N 95 respirators on amazon is skyrocketing. I remember some of you folks from years ago on Fluwiki. Wish I could say I maintained my preparedness over the years. Alas, I,too. have been behaving like Pollyana. I have also spent the week quietly prepping, for what good it will do me. Well, it will help my family. Quite sure I will have to work through this thing, but the rest of my family can SIP.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 5:26pm
I was low on surgicals,got a box at medical supply store,50 for $14.00.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 8:50am
Was in a couple different Walmarts here - both were out of big bags of most brands of dog and cat food. Wasn't surprised the local one was out of larger sized dog bags as they are often low/out of some (not this many), but the other store 'always' has lots...and I've never seen either location out of the big bags of cat.   Are people buying a bigger sized bag 'in case' or is it made in China and already getting shorted (sorry I didn't think to check but I know Purina, Iams is USA/Canada made) or ??? Just seemed one of the 'odder' items to be out of this early in all this?
Possibly just a coincidence
If it's to be - it's up to me!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 10:43am
Snowing again in Colorado so not going out but I am doing a final run to Sams this week will check dog/cat food. I have I hope everything I need after this last run only a few items left. I pray I will never need all of this because I bet I will be one of the first to get this because no one is paying attention to this family that just got back from China last week!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic