Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Post What You Are Finding GONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 1:23am

Walmart and Publix going to restricted hours, some walmarts here are running very low, or out of pet food (dry), almost no paper toilet, or towels in stock with quantity restrictions, Walmart grocery pickup is still up but limited slots left, some going into Monday, as of 2:30am est. Sunday...

They are running low or out of canned, peas,corn,green beans and mixed veggies.....low , or limited tuna, canned chicken, rice is limited.

As for animal feed, and aside from the above the local feed stores seem full, and we put up almost a month of feed for the critters...in case they close, or something unforeseen should happen.

Stocking up on farm feed, made me think, after the 56 day quarantine in Wuhan, and the stories of people throwing pets out of windows from apartment buildings. the real reason might have been because they either ran out of pet food, or had to make a choice, feed themselves or the pets.....nobody keeps 2 months plus of dog food stockpiled in normal times.....

On a side note: drive thru testing just opened a few miles from me, another opening in Kissimmee, and Ocala i believe......so maybe 20-35 miles apart...that would be 3 diff counties here in central Florida with drive thru testing.

Thank god I stuck to my guns and have been hammering every shop for weeks now....the wife had been bristling at me, seeing the money adding up....aside from my long term storage, i have been doubling up for weeks now on everyday stuff, very thankful we did.....

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 4:25am

Pheasant...where did you find out about the drive-thru testing near you? 

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 4:46am

https://www.wogx.com/video/664330

Fox 35 news, idk how to post the video

It opens tomorrow

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 5:52am

A little late posting this about hand sanitizer refresh. You can use vodka or ethanol at 70 percent by volume . That is mix 30 ml of gel with 70 ml vodka  or ethanol. Do not use isopropyl it is too low vapor pressure.  I am a High School chemistry teacher with masters in organic but my inorganic is still good

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 8:39am

Is that Aloe Vera gel, Usk?  And how are you feeling now?  Are you over your flu?

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 8:48am

I have no argument with your chemistry, but virologists tell us the sanitiser must be 60 - 70% alcohol to kill this specific virus. (To be more precise inactivate it.)  Strong vodka is usually 40% by volume as '% proof' is a half measure.  Dilute it some more and it just is not going to work.  

15% alcohol = 30%proof will kill most things - so the mix is fine as a general purpose hand sanitiser - but not against this SPECIFIC bug.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 10:56am
  1. Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I have no argument with your chemistry, but virologists tell us the sanitiser must be 60 - 70% alcohol to kill this specific virus. (To be more precise inactivate it.)  Strong vodka is usually 40% by volume as '% proof' is a half measure.  Dilute it some more and it just is not going to work.  

15% alcohol = 30%proof will kill most things - so the mix is fine as a general purpose hand sanitiser - but not against this SPECIFIC bug.

I would go with Everclear PGA.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 1:26pm

Yes.  Or any alcohol that is 181 proof or better.  Everclear is 95% alcohol.  

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 3:52pm

Oh...lol, I had ordered wine, 3 diff kinds, store was out ;(

We have enough, but the wife informed me after a 3 day weekend, she will need lots more if she  is stuck with me for weeks....Still have to find out if that means ima getting more lucky than usual, or so she wont smother me in my sleep...  

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 2:02pm

Eggs!  Can't find them anywhere!  Sanitizer, TP, frozen veggies, chicken, yeast, but plenty of bread.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 3:21pm

There are reports here that there's no chicken, eggs, etc...

Restaurants are having no problem getting items and are reporting people are ordering trays of food to eat off during the week.  

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 4:44pm

OMG, your right, no eggs at wally world.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 4:46pm

Guys try getting freeze dry or dehydrated eggs on line!

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 5:44pm

If you can find a local farmer you can buy fresh eggs and preserve them as well - last for months apparently.  I have chickens...not too worried (yet) about this particular item, more worried about running out of feed for the livestock if this lasts months and months!

If it's to be - it's up to me!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 6:56pm

I considered getting some chickens or rabbits but then like you said Newbe1A you have to worry about feeding them!  Then on top of that their feed attracts mice so that is when I decided dehydrated eggs were fine for me in a Pandemic.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 7:19pm

Feeding a few isn't hard, and in summer (grass/bug season) chickens will forage for a heck of a lot of their feed, rabbits can basically graze if you keep in a colony style pen.  The meat, hides (feathers have their uses too but more limited) etc are all helpful in a pinch. 

If it's to be - it's up to me!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 2:26am

We are on a farm, 4 hens in a cage, or 1 hen per large metal dog crate, with the wire bottom will suffice as a "chicken tractor" or portable egg farm, just move it around 2-3 times a day.....the wife has used them for years because i prefer unfertilized eggs (long story).

Hens are quiet, and nothing can get to them in the cage.

Chickens are just about the easiest, low maintenance critter you can get, and they will eat anything, table scraps etc: basically, a feathered pig.

You can easily get by with 1 cup of feed per day if free range (in the yard) or 1-2 cups of feed and some scraps in a movable cage, where they can scratch and eat greens.

A good hen will lay 1 egg a day....

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 4:57am

I read something interesting the other day about  refrigerating eggs, once in the fridge they must not be left out of a fridge....

Must be kept refrigerated......

Salmonella.....

If not refrigerated OK to be left out.... 

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 5:05am

Not in the United States.  FDA regulates that store bought eggs be washed and that destroys the protective layer that most other countries do not wash off.  

To make eggs last longer here in the U.S., rub mineral oil on them to replace the natural coating that keeps air  from penetrating the shell.  I've read you can then leave them out on the counter, but I wouldn't chance it.  I'd keep them in the fridge.  

Lakeman5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 2:51pm

Local Meijer still out of TP and water. Also out of tonic water but the liquor store had plenty. Meat very limited. Ice cream has been replenished.  I ordered four boxes of cereal from walmart and they were out of three. 

mwbab View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwbab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 11:41am

Seems like all the freeze dried are sold out

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 12:45pm

WOW, checked some of my freeze dry food companies they are OUT OF STOCK!!!!   WOW, never thought this would happen but why I have my basement storage all these years!!   I hope people stay in their homes!!! 

mwbab View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwbab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 1:25pm

unfortunately  some of us cant do that, but wish we could , as our jobs are not a work from home job and are required to be out. :(

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 2:17pm

Totally understand my son has to work.  Told him to try and stay 6 ft away from people.  Just a fact of life but for those who can stay home stay home!

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 5:39pm

Can't get food delivered in many areas via Walmart or Instacart. Costco and Sam's Club sold out of many ideas (ordering and helping others)

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 6:36pm

I noticed the Walmart pickup system changed the parameters for slot times, it used to be where you can choose from the next 5 days, but now its just for the next 48 hrs (and they are always full.

Idk if the wally world system is universal, but I found you can que for pickup early in the morning from the second day pickup... 

In other words, they seem to be offering appointments out only as so far as 48 hrs.....they are mostly full (here at least), so i found out at 2:30 am i was able to que for the 2nd day.....BUT you have to "Place" the order to hold que.....then populate it.

Example: at 2:30 am Saturday morning, saw there were pickup slots available for Sunday, added some items to my basket and checked out......then went back and did a full shop and added those items to the order......seems you need to figure out when(what time) they next day slots open up.....and that seems to be in the middle of the night.

Sorry, im tired, I hope that made sence.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 5:54pm

Vitacost has a lot of outages and shipping delays.  

Sam's club - they are out of a lot but ARE restocking - if you want something just keep checking. From day to day it might be out of stock, or in club only, but then show up available to order online and ship the next day.

Amazon - prime pantry completely unavailable

CVS online - almost nothing available online. Had a coupon to use and spent 30 minutes trying to find something I wanted that was in stock. A lot of "only available in store". I assume they pushed all the product to the stores so the managers didn't have to face angry customers.  But their website doesn't show it's out of stock until you go to your cart to check out.  Hard pass for now, hopefully it'll improve soon. 

Some Instacart shoppers set up a local Facebook group - where people can post asking what they're looking for, and other people respond with what store has it.  It's REALLY helpful.  They're even posting pictures of the shelves. I'll admit to breathing a HUGE sigh of relief to see for myself that there IS food out there!  I don't need it, but knowing it's out there is really nice.

According to that group, locally things are more in stock this week than last week, eggs are showing up in more places, and toilet paper is coming in regularly but selling fast even with limits.

More and more stores have set up senior shopping hours, which is very cool. 

Molchanov Evgeniy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molchanov Evgeniy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 8:01am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-6ee4clg&t=9s , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_CD5pRvBAc  Hello. There is information about the impact of summer on the spread of coronavirus. In these videos the author put forward the assumption about the seasonality of respiratory diseases. There is also information from Chinese virologists. 

Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 3:58am

Amazon is almost out of elastic.  The kind needed for making homemade masks.

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 12:50pm

Yeast and flour almost impossible to find.  Ordered 2 lbs of yeast online, probably enough to last the rest of my lifetime.

Sheep Lady
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 3:49pm

I have taken to ordering wheat berries.  I'll grind my own if necessary.  Hard to find manual grain grinders right now, but I have a grain grinding attachment for my kitchenaid stand mixer.

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 3:54pm

Flour is the main thing I'm noticing. Plenty of sugar.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 4:31pm

I am currently attempting to adjust an online ASDA order.  For the past 1/2 hour my screen reads this:

High Volume Traffic       

Please wait. Lots of customers are shopping with us right now.

Please do not refresh your browser - you are now in a queue.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We will get you shopping as soon as possible.

Assuming  I don't give up and go to bed.  I will let you know how long it takes.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 4:45pm

44 minutes at 01am

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 5:12pm

Originally posted by Sheep Lady Sheep Lady wrote:

Yeast and flour almost impossible to find.  Ordered 2 lbs of yeast online, probably enough to last the rest of my lifetime.

I can find flour.  It's yeast that's impossible to find.  I have a jam jar of yeast in the freezer, but that will run out of this goes on more than a few months.  I'm researching how to ferment raisins to use the water to make sourdough starter.  I've also heard apple skins being used to make starter. 

Or I could break down and buy a bag of SAF for double to triple the usual price...

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

I can find flour.  It's yeast that's impossible to find.  I have a jam jar of yeast in the freezer, but that will run out of this goes on more than a few months.  I'm researching how to ferment raisins to use the water to make sourdough starter.  I've also heard apple skins being used to make starter. 

Or I could break down and buy a bag of SAF for double to triple the usual price...

Curious about the raisins.

You probably have this recipe for Herman, but maybe someone else doesn't.  It might be helpful.  The down side to this is it takes time for the starter to work and uses things like flour, milk and sugar.  But maybe we still have a little time to get a few extra...

Sourdough starter for Herman

1 pack of yeast or 1 yeast cake (I use 2-1/4 tsp dry yeast), 1 tsp brown sugar, 2 cups potato water combine in glass dish.  Cover and let stand 48 hours.  After 48 hours, add 2-1/2 cups flour, 2 cups lukewarm water.  Mix well.  Let stand 8 hours.  Makes 2 cups starter. Divide into two one-cup portions. Give one to a friend or if you have a big family keep two batches going.  When you receive it, transfer to large bowl with cover.  Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.  Stir each day and keep refrigerated.  Feed with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk again on fifth day.  On 10th day, take out a cup for your next starter batch and give one cup to friend.   I feed it about every 10 days to replenish what I take.

For biscuits you use 1 cup Herman, 1 cup flour, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/3 cup oil.  Drop on greased cookie sheet, bake 10-12 minutes.  Your house will smell delightful.

For coffee cake add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 egg.  For topping 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp margarine or shortening, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp flour.  Pour in greased square pan, bake at 350 30-40   mins.  Topping sinks into cake.  

Sheep Lady
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 7:22pm

That's a good recipe when one starts running low on yeast!

The raisin sourdough starter seems pretty simple.  1 cup raisins, a couple of teaspoons of sugar and two cups of water to start.  Let ferment overnight or until bubbly.  Drain out raisins and use 1/2 cup raisin water and 1/2 cup flour, mix in a glass bowl or jar and let ferment on the counter overnight.  Do the same process for three days running with the remaining raisin water.  Then 1/2 cup is ready to use for bread.  Keep sourdough in refrigerator and if you don't make bread one week, feed with the same 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup flour.  

The recipe sounds like it will make a huge amount of starter, so maybe sharing half would be a good idea!   

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 8:53pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

I broke down and bought the SAF for $18.49.  Is this why they're giving us an extra $600 a week, to afford the price gouging?

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 6:02am

$18.95 for one pound???  That's criminal, ViQueen!

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 8:58am

Image Caption

I beg your pardon, it was $18.75.  Criminal, yes.  I thought they were cracking down on price gouging at Amazon.  But I reckon they have their hands full. I also won't be getting it for a few weeks, so my mother is gonna hafta make that Syrian Bread last! 

Here's a pic of what I paid last time I ordered it a couple years ago, and the second pic is from last night.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 9:15am

I know this is crazy.  I think 2 lbs was 24.99 plus shipping.  We have discovered one of the weak links in the chain.  Yeast has always been available until now.  Maybe we should start buying self-rising flour, buttermilk and Crisco instead.  You can pretty much eat anything on a southern biscuit, lol.

Definitely will try your raisin mix...

Sheep Lady
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 10:07am

My mother is The Bread Monster.  I alternate between making Syrian Bread, cornbread and biscuits to keep her fed and happy.  Have not been able to find White Lily F!our for love or money.  It was hard to find and expensive before the pandemic.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 10:15am

Sounds like you and your mother are very accomplished bakers.  

Have never tried Syrian bread, will have to look it up and try it.

The further north you go, the harder White Lilly and Martha White are  to find.  I love White Lilly but my very favorite is Martha White.  

Sheep Lady
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 5:37pm

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/food/baking-ingredients

I was also having a hard time finding Whit Lily flour pre-pandemic.  I actually like it better than Martha White.  Things just come out lighter and fluffier.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/pke4dm/where-is-everyone-getting-all-of-this-sourdough-starter-all-of-a-sudden

Yes, the struggle is real.  Lots of people going with sourdough.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 6:31pm

Sheep lady, in her day, my mother was the baker, and Grandma was a prodigy!  But I'm getting there!  Here is the Syrian Bread recipe I use.  I do the white flour one have never tried the wheat.  If you try them, let me know how it goes!

Baking : Two Syrian Flat Bread Recipes

By debralynnpugh | November 16, 2015 | From the Kitchen

Save

I recently made Syrian flat bread on two occasions…on the first, I tried out a recipe with whole wheat and white flours to test it. It was good but I changed it up a bit.  On another morning I made another batch of it and a white flour only recipe, again with a few changes. So here’s my variations.

Khubz ‘Adi — Ordinary Syrian Flatbread  ( WAS MY SOURCE / MY CHANGES ARE IN THE RECIPE ) 

“…and bread sustains a man’s heart.” — Psalms 104:15

Yield: approximately 8 small rounds

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 package fast-acting rapid rise yeast dissolved in 3 cups warm water

1 1/2  cups white bread flour

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour

1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt

1) Add sugar to the dissolved yeast mixture, which should be bubbly after standing for about 5 minutes.

2) Mix  the white and whole wheat flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly pour in the dissolved yeast mixture. Stir to combine, and knead by hand in the bowl for about a minute until the dough is soft and sticky. Turn out onto a flour-dusted work surface and knead gently for about 3 to 5 minutes until the dough is elastic and no longer sticky to the touch. (You can also use dough hook of a mixer to knead the dough.) Place dough into a clean mixing bowl. Cover the dough with a damp towel. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for about a 1 hour or until it doubles in size.

3) After the dough has risen, divide into quarters and work with one quarter at a time, keeping the rest covered. Divide the first half into 4 fist-size balls. On a flour-covered surface, flatten each ball with a rolling pin or by hand until it is 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Place rounds of dough onto ungreased baking sheets, leaving ample space between them. Repeat with the remaining quarters. Cover each baking sheet with a towel and allow to rise for a minimum of 15 minutes.

NOTE **  I let mine rise for a good hour or more and then pricked each round with a fork prior to baking.

4) Preheat oven to 525°F.

5) Bake the rounds for 4 to 5 minutes, monitoring the process closely (loaves transition from done to burnt very rapidly). The heat must be even; otherwise, the bread does not puff properly.

NOTE ** I baked for about 3 minutes and then turned them over for even browning.

6) Remove loaves and cool on wire racks. Do not stack the loaves while cooling. Serve immediately or wrap tightly and freeze.

The above recipe is from Forward.com. While I pasted it here  visiting the article Shabbat Meals : Syrian Flatbread Transcends Generations by Poopa Dweck is a wonderful read.   She takes you back to her grandmother’s time, when the women were preparing their bread and then taking it to communal outdoor ovens…even if you are not going to bake the bread, it is a nice read, and an excerpt from a book that she wrote.

The white breads are baked at a slightly lower temperature but basically I did the same…pulled them out after a few minutes and turned them over for even browning, pricked with a fork prior to baking, etc. I let BOTH breads rise once they had been formed into rounds for a good hour.

White Flour Syrian Bread Ingredients :

• 1 package yeast dissolved into 1 1/8 cups water

• After sitting for five minutes, add 1 /2 teaspoon sugar, and then  2 T oil ( I used virgin olive oil )

• Mix 1  1/2 teaspoons salt and 3 cups flour ( I used bread flour ) into a separate bowl

• Make a well and add the yeast mixture. Knead for a wee bit then turn out onto a floured table or board and knead for a few minutes until smooth and elastic.

• Let rise in a clean bowl for an hour or two. Punch down and create 8 fist-sized dough balls. Roll them out, cover with a towel and let them rise in a warm place for an hour. Back at 475 degrees for 4-5 minutes, turning as I recommended earlier for even browning.

As long as you watch the clock, and don’t let these overbake, and put them into baggies ( or your storage of choice ) as soon as they have cooled a bit, they will be incredibly moist for days on end.  Great at room temperature, warmed up or toasted.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic