Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Post What You Are Finding GONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cindylouflu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 4:44pm

We're still very close which I understand is unusual.  At first he thought I was being a nut, but now he's glad I did some big shops.  He bought a boat load of dog food and I'm assuming ammo cause he's into that.  No food, but lots of guns, ammo, dog food and a subscription to every single baseball game televised.  

CST View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 7:43pm

Today, at my local Walmart..no alcohol,ColdEze, and sanitizer .Water was being restocked. Cold meds in short supply. Didn't notice any food items.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 8:11pm

At my local supermarket today they were completely out of flour. The shelves were looking well picked in general but the checkout girl told us people went mad for flour, bottled water, hand sanitizer, anti bacterial hand wash and tissues. 

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesnโ€™t accord with the facts.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 4:23am

Walmart yesterday about 5pm. Completely out of isopropyl alcohol, there had been a larger probably 3’wide x 2’ deep section, all gone maybe 2 bottles of the green variety left. All small bottles of Tylenol and Ibuprofin gone. Noticeable multi symptom cold medicine gone. Noticed worker pushing a big pallet of varied canned good to refill that area (I didn’t go down that aisle). Seems like stores are putting stock like type items in those center walkways and end caps. Can golds& dry goods. was picking up a few random items, like a new mop and broom. TP was about 1/3-2/3 stocked. May make one last run to Costco mid day this week. Avoiding weekend shoppers. I ordered #10 cans of freeze dry butter 4 weeks ago, anticipated a 10-12 day delivery, never received the order and it was “lost” when I contacted the amazon seller. “Lost” aka the price more than doubled a few days later after I ordered and it went to another customer. ๐Ÿ™„ 

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 4:39am

Going to the big city today, Will buy at Sam's Club, Masks are out , Got to get a few comfort items... got three bottles of Germ X and smaller bottles of hand soap at Dollar tree.  Now, I am looking for canned chicken and canned tuna,  We have enough freeze dried stuff and enough water.  Just looking to fill a few gaps.  TP, we have.  Plenty of TP.  Something like 20 rolls.   We will get more at Dollar tree or Walmart.  No rush on food here yet.  

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 8:38am

Saw a FB post from a friend who lives in a town in Alberta of about 20,000 (double that with surrounding area farmers) and without a single 'probable' or confirmed case in this province - she said the town has no hand sanitizer, no generic pain killers (still odd brand name), is LOW on TP, and she got one of the last thermometers.  

So people here are waking up - not sure if there will be anything left for those who decide to panic buy at the last minute!!! 

If it's to be - it's up to me!
LittleJake View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:10am

My daughter in Orlando, has reported that there is no hand santitizer any where.  TP in very short supply.  No canned meats and other dry/canned goods.  She is now concerned that she did not stock up enough.

Do not ever panic, stay calm and focused.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:58am

Hi Littlejake, Tell your daughter to go inland, 25 min west, or Apopka should still be stocked,...or in other words shop out of the city.

I'm northwest of her and Marion county/ lake county is still good, except for hand sanitizer, but plenty of stock in food stuffs.   

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:10pm

Tokyo Central Specialty Market has Crystal Geyser gallon waters for 78c with seemingly no limit so people are filling their baskets with them. 15 lb bags of Nishiki rice are 13$ instead of 20$ with a 2 bag limit and those are selling out fast.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:40pm

Bath and Body Works stores have tons of hand sanitizer. I was also reading a news story the other day that they are ramping up production on these too. These stores are usually in malls.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by Tabitha111 Tabitha111 wrote:

Bath and Body Works stores have tons of hand sanitizer. I was also reading a news story the other day that they are ramping up production on these too. These stores are usually in malls.

Great suggestion!  CVS used to carry scented hand sanitizer in their beauty section, no idea if they still do.  (I have an expired bottle around here somewhere)  

Office supply stores can be good for paper goods and hand sanitizer also.  And snack type items. And batteries! 

RodTahoe View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RodTahoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 1:57pm

Just made my last grocery store trip and now starting my SIP.  The only item sold out at Sam's Club was instant milk.  Lots of shoppers at 3 different stores and most had santizing items, water and mixture of food items.  It is with a sense of calm that I am finished, except for final trip to fill up gasoline containers and one last trip to haul water.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 2:21pm

Welcome aboard!

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by Tabitha111 Tabitha111 wrote:

We went to Bath and Body Works 2 days ago when all the stores were sold out of hand sanitizer and my wife picked up a case of the small bottles in her favorite fragrance. They had plenty but said there has been a big uptick in sales. 

QP

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 2:53pm

While everyone is at Sam's and Costco, it seem the lowly neighborhood grocery seems to be in good shape.  The only thing I saw that was empty was Clorox disinfectant spray.  Well not empty.  There were two.  I bought one.

On the flip side, I happened to be walking out of the store when the grocer was getting a delivery.  I counted 48 cases of soups, 48 cases of fruits and probably another 24 cases of assorted veg going into the basement  I think the owners are anticipating a run on canned goods.   Being from China, I think they've heard the horror stories from home.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 6:43pm

Our local Costco and Sam’s are both entirely stripped of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels, and cases of water bottles.

My daughter just tested positive for Influenza A today after coming home with a 103.1 fever (poor kiddo!) — when my husband ran to the local grocery store to grab some Gatorade (we have some in storage but I want to “preserve” it for emergencies, if that makes any sense), they were out of sanitizer, TP, paper towels, and very low or out of several OTC meds.

My kids said they now understand why we try to be prepared. 

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 7:43pm

Ugh, hope your daughter feels better soon!  Stay healthy! 

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 8:14pm

Beachmama, hope your child gets to feeling better!!!  Did she get a flu shot?  I ask because if she did it should not hit her as hard.  Please keep us posted I worry when any of us are sick or family is sick!!!

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 1:49pm

Lactated Ringers Solution!  I normally buy it (cat with early renal stuff) from one website, but they were out of stock. When I asked, they said it was a manufacturing shortage.  

I'd stocked up a couple of weeks ago, but just found out a second cat needs to be started on fluids, so wanted to make sure I had enough.

I found it at Chewy, but just a heads up. 

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 4:29pm

The only consistently gone thing I've seen is hand sanitizer, and no one cares about hand soap. Otherwise, Ralph's and Whole Foods still had water, Grocery Outlet still had all OTC meds, Walmart still had TP, and a few other places.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 9:10am

There isn't a bottle of hand santizer to be had in my neck of the woods.  

While I was picking up prescriptions today, another customer was looking for hand santizer.  The gal behind the cash register said that their distributor was completely out and no time frame on when it would be back in stock.  Being the perky prepper, I piped up and said ... 1/3 cup aloe vera gel and 2/3 cup of 70% or above isopropyl alcohol, whirr in a blender and you have hand santizer.  The dear doctor popped her head up from behind her work and asked me to repeat that.  She wrote it down for future reference.  Surprised me a bit, but the dear doctors at my local pharmacy are all about their patients.  Its why I do local privately owned.  This is the same place where I found a small bottle of hand santizer in with my prescriptions last month.  

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 9:20am

I hate to say it, but that would not work.

You need over 60% alcohol to kill the virus (some say over 70%) and if you start with 60% alcohol then mix it 2 parts to one with something else you only have 40% alcohol in the resultant mix.  If you start with pure alcohol you can get away with adding the aloe vera.  But the dilution is too much if your alcohol is already at only 60%.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 9:52am

The Aloe vera gel is a medium that doesn't dilute the alcohol.  It suspends it.  That's why it has to be aloe vera gel, not oil or some other medium.  

I also got a hot tip from a neighbor.  She said that she was up at the local Staples and they had an entire display of hand santizer and wipes.  So if you can't find it, try your local office supply store.  They might have it.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:29am

Unless you end up with the volume of 2/3 cup, it is dropping the concentration.

In theory, alcohol and water can mix in such a way that they seem to drop in volume.  The water molecule is V shaped and this can fit over the alcohol molecule like a pair of legs over a horse.  That will only work if your alcohol is not already mixed with a dilutant - ie 100%.  The water molecule is also quite small compared to the alcohol molecule.  So a greater volume of alcohol is required to achieve the maximum drop in size.

So 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup = 2/3 cup in volume or there is a "dilution by volume" taking place.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:58am

Sorry Technophobe.. I don't know the scientific terms.   But you're not mixing it with water.  I'd need to know the percentage of water in aloe gel.  I imagine it's less than mixing it with water.  If you say it dilutes, then use less gel and higher alcohol.  The one I was taught is the proportions I listed.  Necessity is the mother of invention.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:03am

The chemistry is very basic, the volumes specific.  Measure it, both in component parts, and again as a mixture.  If the measures of alcohol match, the proportions are ok - as enough alcohol is there to do the job.

Or just put your neat rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and use moisturiser afterwards.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:29am

I've been checking the website, and our local Sam's Club is out of stock on some things, but has been restocking throughout the week. Online has been restocking as well.

I was just in a Walgreens - plenty of cold meds and otc meds available thought it's not fully stocked, and then in a local grocery store that just had a few holes on the shelf.  

All in all about as expected here.  

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

Ugh, hope your daughter feels better soon!  Stay healthy! 

Thank you, sweetie! She had an evil cough because this bug is exacerbating her asthma and is running a near-constant fever, but she is feeling pretty decent overall. I’m giving her breathing treatments, keeping her hydrated, and keeping the fever down when it gets near 101. She’s incredibly stoic! 

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Beachmama, hope your child gets to feeling better!!!  Did she get a flu shot?  I ask because if she did it should not hit her as hard.  Please keep us posted I worry when any of us are sick or family is sick!!!

Thank you so much, FluMom! I am keeping a good eye on her — she has asthma and I don’t want this progressing to pneumonia. I have to say with shame that we did not get our flu shots this year.   I had heard it was a poor match and so we didn’t get one. I’m watching her like a hawk, though, and she is getting breathing treatments, lots of fluid, and Tylenol for the fever! Thank you for your kindness! 

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:42pm

I am glad she is doing better, no worry like the one when your child is sick!!!   Keep us posted we do care!

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:47pm

Last night the 6 o'clock news here lead with the story that NZ was running out of paracetamol. We only have enough for 4 months worth of normal levels of usage, with no more coming in under the present covid 19 crisis, and therefore doctors were rationing it from Monday morning. What a stupid thing to say!

So this morning, I went to the supermarket and the shelves were empty - no paracetamol or ibuprofen. My friend works there and bought a box of new stock out but it was being rationed to 2 packets per person. 

I think it was extremely irresponsible to lead with such a story. Of course it's going to cause panic.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesnโ€™t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:53pm

Paracetamol, asprin and ibuprofen are all rationed here. 16 tablets of each at a time.  It is supposed to stop us idiots from overdosing.  Been in place for years!  Bl**dy EU!

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

Ugh, hope your daughter feels better soon!  Stay healthy! 

Thank you, sweetie! She had an evil cough because this bug is exacerbating her asthma and is running a near-constant fever, but she is feeling pretty decent overall. I’m giving her breathing treatments, keeping her hydrated, and keeping the fever down when it gets near 101. She’s incredibly stoic! 

I have asthma, so man do I feel for her.  Sounds like you're doing all the right things.  PMing you after writing a long thing that doesn't belong here!  

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:00pm

If you want more, you go from shop to shop - its a right pain!  Oh and you can't buy paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time.  You can safely take them together, but not buy them together.  You can buy asprin and ibuprofen together - but take them together and kiss your digestive tract goodbye!  INSANE!

By the way for Americans, paracetamol = acetaminophen (tylenol).

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:18pm

Technophobe - that's one of the craziest things I've ever heard! Both the quantity limits and that you can't buy them together. WTF?  

Are you able to order from other countries?

Or, are friends able to send you gifts without packages being examined? 

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:23pm

Found small hand sanitizers at Bristol Farms in Southern California. Only store where people didn't pick it clean.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:24pm

You can get more on perscription.  Bernard does.  Neither of us use them from one year to another.  So we have tons put away and give some away to others.

Thank you for the thought though. XXX

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:29pm

i was amazed when i went to the pharmacy in the UK ,could'nt  get  "Voltran" in tablet form for my bad back

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.๐Ÿ––

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:38pm

We have voltarol (diclofenac cream) but tablets are perscription only.  I have them.  I could have posted you some had I known.  I stockpile them too.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 4:15pm

went into another drug store (CVS) earlier and they had a sign up on the front door that they were out of masks and sanitizer.

Everything else looked fairly normal.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 4:19pm

Oh my gracious! We buy acetaminophen in bottles of 500 from Sam’s Club! 

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:42pm

The Kaiser Target clinic near me was running low on or were completely out of immunizations, and told people that they would have to wait at least a week to get them.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:16pm

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but if a forum member (me - Canada) bought Tylenol to send to one of you in (X country) would it get there or would it be stopped at border by customs?  If you think it would go through - maybe we can help each other out on here???   Just thinking out loud...

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:15am

Newbie, I doubt it.  I send and receive items from "over the pond" from and to friends.  Never once has it been stopped.  I can't imagine Canada would stop packages either.  Just don't admit to what's in it.  

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:31am

yeah but how do you hide a rattley bottle of pills... lol 

Anyway - if someone on here needs something - maybe they could post their need and a member in a country that still has (esp if in quantity worth sending - like the 500pk Tylenol) could be mailed?  Don't know if this is allowed on forum or if allowed/recommended at all but if someone is truly lacking a product...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic