Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Exponential Growth - Stop and Read Immediately

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 6:27pm

Originally posted by BabyCat BabyCat wrote:

Don't forget, Bernie Sanders held a big rally in San Jose 4 days ago...I fear that the event was just a disaster vector for the virus, the city, and the country. Bernie's team are travelling everywhere. Will they be tested if any are showing symptoms?

I mean, history doesn't usally repeat, but, good God, are we this stupid??

Yes, yes, indeed, we are this stupid.

I didn't realize Bernie was in San Jose - that's just a nightmare scenario.  

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:44am

But this is simply, hands down, the best website for tracking data. It's a live Google spreadsheet, and has over 120 volunteers. 

https://covid2019.azurewebsites.net/

US is at 122 now, other sites can't keep up. 

Is anyone else able to access this site?  I just tried and it just comes up as a blank white screen?

If it's to be - it's up to me!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:48am

A perfectly classic example of exponential rise in the real world. Pretty almost...Pretty deadly. 

There has been a bit of flattening on the log chart, though, slight good news, but I believe that's only a temporary blip by S. Korea's aggressive containment efforts, the slack of which is likely to be taken up by Iran, US, Germany, and other areas that haven't acted as early or aggressively. At least for the near term (2 weeks), the 100,000 outside of China is already baked in the cake and likely unstoppable at this point. 

I mean, the Santa Clara County health dept. issued a warning/recommendation to cancel all large public gatherings, including the local hockey team game last evening (San Jose Sharks). What did the Sharks do? Ignored it. Played the game in front of thousands. 

This is Philadelphia in 1917, not Saint Louis. 

There will likely be a price to pay for such hubris. 

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:40am

Originally posted by Newbie1A Newbie1A wrote:

But this is simply, hands down, the best website for tracking data. It's a live Google spreadsheet, and has over 120 volunteers. 

https://covid2019.azurewebsites.net/

US is at 122 now, other sites can't keep up. 

Is anyone else able to access this site?  I just tried and it just comes up as a blank white screen?

It took about 10 seconds on my computer, but loaded eventually. 

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:42am

A perfectly classic example of exponential rise in the real world. Pretty almost...Pretty deadly. 

There has been a bit of flattening on the log chart, though, slight good news, but I believe that's only a temporary blip by S. Korea's aggressive containment efforts, the slack of which is likely to be taken up by Iran, US, Germany, and other areas that haven't acted as early or aggressively. At least for the near term (2 weeks), the 100,000 outside of China is already baked in the cake and likely unstoppable at this point. 

I mean, the Santa Clara County health dept. issued a warning/recommendation to cancel all large public gatherings, including the local hockey team game last evening (San Jose Sharks). What did the Sharks do? Ignored it. Played the game in front of thousands. 

This is Philadelphia in 1917, not Saint Louis. 

There will likely be a price to pay for such hubris. 

They held the Sharks game against advice? OMG.  I can now say with 100% certainty that I know people that will be affected.  (Used to hang out with a bunch of Sharks season ticket holders.) What dumb *sses. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:14am
Scientists catched the moment of viral proliferation and release under the microscope.

https://twitter.com/Secret_Beijing/status/1235770514607570955 

Thought this was interesting...and disturbing.

Reminds me of the zombie roaches TedTalk... 

https://www.ted.com/talks/ed_yong_zombie_roaches_and_other_parasite_tales/transcript?language=en 

We are, after all, just organisms, too. But with consciousness, of even our own mortality. 

That is why I choose faith. 

As of this moment, 20,860 confirmed infections ex-China. Noted for posterity.  Since 2/13, daily increases have been increasing steadily, with just a couple exceptions. 

245 US, noted for posterity. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 1:56pm

Ok, back to my US projections...

Remember I set forth a low (15%) middle (25%), and high case (35%) for the next two weeks. I did that for a reason.

We started off at the low rate, and now have shifted to the middle rate, as of this moment, hitting the projection perfectly (but certainly to rise as the day progresses). 

In the next few days, as testing comes online, criteria relaxes, and contacts are traced, this will approach the high case outline earlier. 

I expect the high case to be reached and exceed within a couple days, as authorities finally become more aggressive in testing (as the general populace alarm raises as well). 

Projected Middle Case (25%)

2/29/202073
3/1/202091
3/2/2020114
3/3/2020143
3/4/2020178
3/5/2020223
3/6/2020278

Actual so far today (3/6)

Actual
2/29/202072
3/1/202088
3/2/2020103
3/3/2020128
3/4/2020160
3/5/2020234
3/6/2020278
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 1:57pm

Perhaps we do not reach 1,000 by Sunday/Monday as I thought (because of limited testing reported across the country), but I think very likely by early next week, maybe Tuesday/Wednesday. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:02pm

An interesting map...

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:01pm

Note, by 3/16, this will be very country-specific, as to control measures. Those countries with higher totals at the moment (S. Korean, Iran, Italy, Germany France, Japan, Spain, US will make the largest portions of the totals, but many other countries will experience exponentially rising totals as well.  I

As I projected weeks ago, there will be breakout totals around this time frame. I'll re-post those projections. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:10pm

On Feb 8 (nearly one month ago). I posted this chart: 

45 days from then would be March 20. I think we'll beat that comfortably. Already over 21,000 and doubling every 4.5 days, which would roughly mean we'd reach 84,000 in 9 days = March 15. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 4:31pm

Now with the cruise ship passengers from the Grand Princess being traced and undoubtedly tested if symptomatic, I think the US will reach 1,000 confirmed by Monday, despite the weekend (public health emergency/hospitals/labs now more in place). I believe it's going to be an ugly weekend and beginning to next week, with a steady drum beat of news. Case, case, cluster, cluster, boom, boom. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 6:06pm

327 in US and rising fast. I updated the chart again.

Feeling stronger we could see 1,000 by Monday evening as I suggested before. 

2,500 by 3/14 and most certainly sooner. 

Things are going to move very, very fast. 

Expect local emergency orders within the week, and within 1-2 weeks, national directives, executive orders, possible stock market closing (Mnuchin brought it up two days ago!), the financial market, particularly the bond market today, was insane.

The government and health care facilities, will, despite a significant time to be prepared, will not be ready. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 6:29pm

Revised world projections. 100,000 by 3/15 or sooner. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 6:30pm

9 DAYS FROM TODAY.

Where will the numbers come from? Likely same countries as now, in exponentially rising proportions for each. Cumulatively, they'll get there. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:18pm

Here's this guy's projection. Predicts 60,000 by March 15.  I think 60,000 by March 12, 100,000 by March 15 (subject to testing limits). He's got better looking models, that's for sure. But we'll see who was closer, though. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:09pm

Revised US projections (I keep re-posting because the projections keep significantly increasing).

This will be like South Korea's numbers within two weeks. Unfortunately, ours won't increase as slowly, because we are NOT testing and we are NOT containing as well as they have. The pop in S. Korea immediately cooperated, stayed home. The US? Ha. Cases are going to EXPLODE. 

There. I said it. I'm done sugar-coating it. This is going to be a DISASTER. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:38pm

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:43pm

Some conclusions from the above charts:

-S. Korea's containment efforts appear to be working

-Iran's and Italy's deaths are significantly rising higher than S. Korea

-Italy is still exponential

-Daily worldwide cases rising exponentially

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:59pm

US cases rose 46% today, fyi. 

From the sheer number of cases, their geographical distribution, it's quite clear the US has MULTIPLE areas of community transmission across the country, and it cannot likely be contained to a single area. (Example: An FBI agent in a SF satellite office was just confirmed.)  https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en 

What does this mean? It means that if the US wants to avoid disaster, we need to start drastically shutting down as much social contact as possible. NOW.

This is extremely, extremely bad. Damn the Chinese CCP. Damn them to hell. 

Prepare for more. Maybe we'll see 1,000 by Monday noon.  Certainly if the current and former Grand Princess pax start being tested and counted, that would likely lead to 500 or more alone. 

Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:30pm

China acted to late in shutting down cities. I suspect its already relatively widespread in USA as it is in Europe. 

i believe Europe will see a massive acceleration next Week because we ain't doing what China is doing now. Our health care systems cannot deal effectively with the acceleration in England. NHS are not designed for tsunami.

Average CFR globally still 3.4% plus numerous serious cases.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:02am

What does this mean? It means that if the US wants to avoid disaster, we need to start drastically shutting down as much social contact as possible. NOW.

This is extremely, extremely bad. Damn the Chinese CCP. Damn them to hell. 

Well the CCP took action too late - but at least they did.  More then I can say for Trump or Trudeau (or most countries politicians!), and I can't see Trudeau at least taking any serious action even when too late... CCP screwed up, but they bought time for the rest of us to prepare (for which I personally am grateful) at a huge cost to the average Chinese citizen...too bad our governments threw this gift of time away - that mistake will likely be a huge cost to the average Can/Amer etc

If it's to be - it's up to me!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:30am

Yep! That horse is long gone.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 7:12pm

Getting closer and close to my 1,000 by Monday evening call:

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 7:30pm

Good evening. Today is 3/7, and there are 25,384 confirmed ex-China intl infections as I type this. 

Here are some charts and projections. Although the chart doesn't predict this, I'm still sticking with my 100,000 by March 12 call, because Iran's health minister (or somebody like that), says in 2 weeks 40% of Teheren will be infected, although I think they at some point will just stop testing and start focusing on treating with clinical diags. The numbers would come from the US (said they can scale up) and I expect Germany, France, Italy, and Japan are able to scale up as well, and still test. 

At some point soon, we'll lose the ability to accurately count tests. 

My question is, is a pandemic now Dr. C(WHO)-less??

Definition of pandemic:

Now 105,000 cases in 92 countries, regions. 

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/ 

The WHO should be de-funded and disbanded. EPIC FAIL at their most basic job.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 11:27pm

Revised US Projections. Notice how they are increasing with each iteration. 

Revised US. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:03am

Now this guy (love his snark on Felon Muskmelon), refers to the world exponential to reach 100,000 by the 12th. I think he reads this thread. ;) Hi. evd, I also couldn't help snacking on the emergency rations... Thanks for some great advice and commentary. 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 2:42pm

Jake Glanville from Pandemic show on Netflix
 Jacob Glanville on Twitter

Comparing two estimates: #California 03/07/20: about 100 #COVID19 cases confirmed. Estimate #1: Assuming 20% of cases are severe enough to seek treatment, and 25% of such cases were actually tested at hospitals, I estimate 2000 infected people in the state.

Estimate #2: given #COVID19 R0=2.5, a 6 day infection cycle, spreading beginning around same time as DNA estimated Seattle cases of 7-weeks ago, we would have 669 cases from a single individual, and 1043 if we had one new spreader arrive per week until Chinese air travel ceased.

If you have 2 new spreaders arrive per week for those first three weeks, the estimates are comparable. Multiple issues with both estimates, but they arrive within a half log of same answer. Thoughts?
w hy model this? To form projections. Given 1000 infected now, we will have 2500 by end of week, 6250 by the 20th, 15,625 by the 26th, and 39,062 infected by April 1st. #California has 430 hospitals but with 20% of #COVID19 patients needing care, we may run out of ICU in April

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 2:58pm

Great post. Thanks.

Italy is uncontained. 

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 3:00pm

Wow BC how long do you think it will take to get to southern Italy?  Is that something a smart person like you can extrapolate or is that looking into a crystal ball sort of thing?

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 3:25pm

I believe there already are cases in southern Italy, would be surprised if there wasn't. I think the lockdowns will have effect, but it will be delayed, infection curves already racing (1-2 week delay, remember). 

The lockdown in Northern Italy without similar SIP shutdowns  and aggressive measures in the rest of country will prove to be a mistake. Matter of time. See China. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 3:29pm

Compare Northern Italy at this point to Jan. 30 Wuhan, seven days AFTER shutdown. 

Fortunately, China took extreme measures and bought us time. 

The curve is already baked in for 100,000 plus in Italy, given the minimum 1-2 week infection to symptom to confirmation lag. Expect at least 5,000 or more deaths if mitigation measures are not increase radically even further. 

The piecemeal approach won't work. They're constantly behind the virus. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 3:35pm
When China had 571 cases on Jan 22nd they locked down Wuhan. 

๐Ÿ‘‡
Quote Tweet

Manu Raju

@mkraju
 ·
There are now 512 cases of Coronavirus in the United States https://cnn.it/38yMpXR
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 3:45pm

BabyCat 

What's your thoughts about UK.  Would really appreciate it.  A few of us here considering SIP but dont want to leave it too late.

Thanks in advance.

Hz

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 4:55pm

I think there are currently more than this..(20,000 cases in US). Remember how we used to estimate the uncounted in Wuhan/Hubei? That's Italy, Iran, US now. 

Florian Krammer

@florian_krammer
 ·
Replying to @paulkrugman
558 detected cases in the US so far, a plus of 100 cases today and the day is not over. Detection is limited by test kits/facilities that can test. I assume there are likely 20,000 active cases in the US right now. Maybe more.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 9:07pm

The infectious disease experts I've been following on Twitter are LIT UP about the lack of testing for surveillance and target mitigation. 

We're screwed - we need to shut everything down. Now. Business as usual won't work. 

Italy and the US seem to think they can match an exponential problem with linear, graduated measures. NO. 

Hazel, I'll look at the UK as soon I can. I have been a little puzzled at the lower numbers given the initial starting points; however, they're starting to rise as well. This virus takes time to circulate before it starts showing up with more serious cases. 

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 9:35pm

BabyCat, pretty sure we're following some of the same people! Twitter is on fire.

Did you see the post from the CEO that has been SIP in China for 6 weeks? There's a screenshot on the cluster post. He's had some interesting things to say.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 9:37pm

Ok, Hazelpad, I took a look at the UK. Basically, it's following the same recent pattern of most other countries. Although the UK has tested more than most (27,000), the recent exponential rise suggests that many of the infections are being missed by overly narrow test criteria (sound familiar??). Lots of reports that if you have symptoms but haven't had contact with confirmed case or traveled to identified areas/countries to "consider other diagnoses". It's a mistake, of course, one that will prove to be so very, very shortly. Consider the following:

Fortunately, there are "only" three deaths at the moment, so the policy, up to now, seems to have been fairly successful. However, the underlying situation has undoubtedly changed, likely due to imported Italian (and to a lesser extent, Iranian) cases. I suspect that there is ongoing transmission that is not being picked up by the narrow testing criteria. I expect UK's numbers to continue to rise exponentially, and at about 273 discovered cases about a few days behind the US, and probably about the same status as France and Germany, even though they are showing four times the confirmed cases. Why? Testing aggressiveness, is my assumption. 

One thing to be on the lookout for, is a sudden rise in deaths, which would point to very large numbers of infected and unrecognized clusters and hotspots.

It seems that the UK will release PPE stocks held for a pandemic 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-hospitals-masks-nurses-doctors-a9385131.html

Coronavirus: PM to hold emergency Cobra meeting after third person dies in UK The third person to die from COVID-19 in the #UK was a man who had "underlying health conditions" and recently returned from #Italy

I had all the symptoms of COVID-19 but couldn't get tested as no relevant travel and no known contact with a confirmed case, I believe I was a case of community transmission from an unknown source. UK NHS use a flowchart which just says "consider other diagnoses" in such cases

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 9:43pm

P.S. Hazel, perhaps one just assume that for every confirmation, there are 10-20 times as many infected out "in the wild" at any moment that infection->symptom->serious case->testing->confirmation time lag.

So, as the confirmed numbers rise, it might be helpful to visualize 280 (->2,800) to 500 (->5,000) to 1,000 (->10,000) would be my baseline. Testing is always behind exponential infectious disease actuals.

Plus, CV-19 has a 80% "mild" rate, so likely 4 out 5 cases are not presenting to GPs or your health service. But those 4 out of 5 are definitely infectious and spreading, in all likelihood.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 9:49pm

Kim, sounds familiar, but not positive. Could you post it? I think it's the same thing about the guy who says he just went through the same thing in China, and recommends the US Shut.It.Down. Not. Kidding

I've said similarly for days now. :)

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 10:25pm

Kim, sounds familiar, but not positive. Could you post it? I think it's the same thing about the guy who says he just went through the same thing in China, and recommends the US Shut.It.Down. Not. Kidding

I've said similarly for days now. :)

Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 4:40am

Babycat thanks so much for the detailed reply and taking time to put that post together.  My pHd and background is all in cellular immunology, but did work in virology for a while.

Anything molecular you need to know then I can return favour.  If I dont know I can find out.

Again thanks 

Hz x

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 4:58am

Babycat,  went to Sam's club in my rural area.  We are talking about an area that has less than 125,000 in a 56 county region.  Deep red area where they don't give a rat's ass about the news.  Why are people so un prepared for this impending disaster.   Nobody was worried at all.  They were just acting as if nothing was going on .   Nobody was prepping ,  

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 5:26am

ME163.  They're not prepping because they trust their elected leaders.  Even though those that think things through know those elected leaders are lying through their eye-teeth.  Or they're depending on their version of God.  

Sorry if that sounds bitter.  I admit that it is.  You can't fix stupid.  But even more stupid is wasted lives. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 10:25am

Well, my 1,000 US call by this evening appears to be a day or two premature. But, we'll unfortunately reach it soon enough (tomorrow evening or Wednesday). I think testing limitations, guidance confusion, and the weekend are at play. The President's "if you want a test, you can have a test" is clearly not reality at the moment.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
  Share Topic