Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Homemade mask

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Michelle View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade mask
    Posted: March 25 2020 at 10:35pm

better to have some masks to proteck u and ur family.I bought a 10 pack of 3m ones over the summer to wear while working in my attic,they were $10 shipped.Right now they are probably triple that or worse from craigslist..these days i find a website https://92mask.com/ efficient and quite good $35.9 50pcs reasonalble.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 1:36pm

Research results on homemade masks:

https://twitter.com/CMichaelGibson/status/1239718351573843973 

Cambridge scientists tested 0.02 micron Bacteriophage MS2 particles (5 times smaller than the coronavirus) & compared homemade masks made of different materials to surgical masks.  Surgical mask blocks 89% Vacuum cleaning bag 85% Dish Towel 73% T shirt 70% #macgyvercare

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 1:19pm
Well, finally, OP, I came across an authoritative source on homemade masks with Tshirts..the CDC!

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/6/05-1468-f1

Letter
Simple Respiratory Mask
Virginia M. Dato*Comments to Author , David Hostler*, and Michael E. Hahn*
Author affiliations: *University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Main Article

Figure. Prototype mask. A) Side view, B) Face side. This mask consisted of 1 outer layer (≈37 cm × 72 cm) rolled and cut as in panel B with 8 inner layers (<18 cm2) placed inside (against the face). The nose slit was first placed over the bridge of the nose, and the roll was tied below the back of the neck. The area around the nose was adjusted to eliminate any leakage. If the seal was not tight, it was adjusted by adding extra material under the roll between the cheek and nose or by pushing the rolled fabric above or below the cheekbone. Tie b was tied over the head. A cloth extension was added if tie b was too short. Finally, tie c was tied behind the head. The mask was then fit tested.

--

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/6/05-1468_article

To the Editor: The US Department of Labor recommends air-purifying respirators (e.g., N95, N99, or N100) as part of a comprehensive respiratory protection program for workers directly involved with avian influenza–infected birds or patients (1). N95 respirators have 2 advantages over simple cloth or surgical masks; they are >95% efficient at filtering 0.3-μm particles (smaller than the 5-μm size of large droplets—created during talking, coughing, and sneezing—which usually transmit influenza) and are fit tested to ensure that infectious droplets and particles do not leak around the mask (2–4). Even if N95 filtration is unnecessary for avian influenza, N95 fit offers advantages over a loose-fitting surgical mask by eliminating leakage around the mask.

The World Health Organization recommends protective equipment including masks (if they not available, a cloth to cover the mouth is recommended) for persons who must handle dead or ill chickens in regions affected by H5N1 (5). Quality commercial masks are not always accessible, but anecdotal evidence has showed that handmade masks of cotton gauze were protective in military barracks and in healthcare workers during the Manchurian epidemic (6,7). A simple, locally made, washable mask may be a solution if commercial masks are not available. We describe the test results of 1 handmade, reusable, cotton mask.

Thumbnail of Prototype mask. A) Side view, B) Face side. This mask consisted of 1 outer layer (≈37 cm × 72 cm) rolled and cut as in panel B with 8 inner layers (<18 cm2) placed inside (against the face). The nose slit was first placed over the bridge of the nose, and the roll was tied below the back of the neck. The area around the nose was adjusted to eliminate any leakage. If the seal was not tight, it was adjusted by adding extra material under the roll between the cheek and nose or by pus
Figure. Prototype mask. A) Side view, B) Face side. This mask consisted of 1 outer layer (≈37 cm × 72 cm) rolled and cut as in panel B with 8 inner layers...

For material, we choose heavyweight T-shirts similar to the 2-ply battle dress uniform T-shirts used for protective masks against ricin and saxitoxin in mouse experiments (8). Designs and T-shirts were initially screened with a short version of a qualitative Bitrex fit test (9) (Allegro Industries, Garden Grove, CA, USA). The best were tested by using a standard quantitative fit test, the Portacount Plus Respirator Fit Tester with N95-Companion (TSI, Shoreview, MN, USA) (10). Poor results from the initial quantitative fit testing on early prototypes resulted in the addition of 4 layers of material to the simplest mask design. This mask is referred to as the prototype mask (Figure).

A Hanes Heavyweight 100% preshrunk cotton T-shirt (made in Honduras) (http://www.hanesprintables.com/Globals/Faq.aspxExternal Link) was boiled for 10 minutes and air-dried to maximize shrinkage and sterilize the material in a manner available in developing countries. A scissor, marker, and ruler were used to cut out 1 outer layer (≈37 × 72 cm) and 8 inner layers (<18 cm2). The mask was assembled and fitted as shown in the Figure.

A fit factor is the number generated during quantitative fit testing by simulating workplace activities (a series of exercises, each 1 minute in duration). The Portacount Plus Respirator Fit Tester with N95-Companion used for the test is an ambient aerosol instrument that measures aerosol concentration outside and inside the prototype mask. The challenge agent used is the ambient microscopic dust and other aerosols that are present in the air.

A commercially available N95 respirator requires a fit factor of 100 to be considered adequate in the workplace. The prototype mask achieved a fit factor of 67 for 1 author with a Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) panel face size of 4, a common size. Although insufficient for the workplace, this mask offered substantial protection from the challenge aerosol and showed good fit with minimal leakage. The other 2 authors with LANL panel face size 10, the largest size, achieved fit factors of 13 and 17 by making the prototype mask inner layers slightly larger (22 cm2).

We do not advocate use of this respirator in place of a properly fitted commercial respirator. Although subjectively we did not find the work of breathing required with the prototype mask to be different from that required with a standard N95 filtering facepiece, persons with respiratory compromise of any type should not use this mask. While testers wore the mask for an hour without difficulty, we cannot comment on its utility during strenuous work or adverse environmental conditions.

We showed that a hand-fashioned mask can provide a good fit and a measurable level of protection from a challenge aerosol. Problems remain. When made by naive users, this mask may be less effective because of variations in material, assembly, facial structure, cultural practices, and handling. No easy, definitive, and affordable test can demonstrate effectiveness before each use. Wearers may find the mask uncomfortable.

We encourage innovation to improve respiratory protection options. Future studies must be conducted to determine levels of protection achieved when naive users, following instructions, produce a similar mask from identical or similar raw materials. Research is needed to determine the minimal level of protection needed when resources are not available for N95 air-purifying respirators since the pandemic threat from H5N1 and other possible influenza strains will exist for the foreseeable future.

Virginia M. Dato*Comments to Author , David Hostler*, and Michael E. Hahn*
Author affiliations: *University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 12:03pm
I've been telling everyone citric acid for years. Vinegar works too. Viruses, being tiny particles, are very sensitive to acids.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 11:57am
I like this idea. A 95 y.o. Chinese man using an orange. Laugh if you want, but there is some science behind this. Orange contain citric acid of course, a natural disinfectant. In fact, when I looked at the composition of the fancy new "antiviral masks" I just received (out of stock now at Target), guess what one of the layers was? Yup! Citric acid!

Very smart man. Probably why he's made it to 95 in China.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 9:54pm
This well-written article says everything everyone needs to know about masks including paper masks, N-95 respirators etc.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/01/29/800531753/face-masks-what-doctors-say-about-their-role-in-containing-coronavirus
CRS, DrPH
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:58am
Here's an idea I've been mulling around.

Generally, the N95 respirators are considered disposable, one-time use, esp. if dirty. However, I've read the virus survives only about 12 hours on surfaces like this. Theoretically, after a while, you can re-use them. Perhaps it would even be better to spray (and then air out) with Lysol disinfectant spray, or simply put into the sunshine.

That, or buy a UV light bacterialcide light like this (being sure to run it away from your eyes/skin):

https://www.amazon.com/Germicidal-Light-Ultraviolet-Without-Ozone/dp/B07ZH5FL4N

And, yes, I think about this way too much

If my stocks run low, I'll re-use my P100 mask (meant to be used for 30 days), decontaminating it, or rotating it with repacements.

or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ONE-PIX-Sanitizer-Jewelry-Cleaned/dp/B07Z5PH4YS/
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 2:02am
Well the old fashioned ones had loops for your ears.
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:35pm
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:41pm
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 9:39pm
Yes, that might be better than nothing, the more layers but breathable, the better.

In reading the technical details of 3M's n95 mask technology, for virus sized particles (coronavirus is 125nm (.125 microns) btw), it's not the space between the fibers as it is for particles larger than .3 microns (300 nm), which need to be blocked and stopped. The smaller particles zig zag in a strange way via Brownian motion (see http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/410364O/filtration-mechanisms-for-particulate-respirators.pdf if you're interested in a primer)

So, theoretically, the smallest particles get sucked into the fibers and stick to them via "diffusion". Take a read.

So, think about all the kinds of filters one could use and layers..coffee filters? Martha Stuart 1200 thread count bed sheets?
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 9:14pm
I like the idea of you knitting your masks. Lol.

If I had to make a mask I would avoid using cotton as it wicks moisture too easily. Linen is even worse. It also has a loose weave.

I'm not sure if it is possible to make an effective mask but I would use a habotai silk. This is an extremely fine closely woven silk. It's cheap and I'd use 4 layers.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 8:40pm
Well, if you can't find masks then I would make some my self. I would take old tee shirts cut them like a mask but also include long ties in the four corners so no sewing. I would make lots of these like 10 or 20 and put two on at a time. You can wash them in soap and bleach when you get home.

Best McGuivering I can come up with. This may burn out but get ready in case it does not.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 8:32pm
Yes, better to just self-isolate/SIP as much as possible if necessary. However, for many people, especially early on, it's rather difficult to do, even if they wanted to, as they have to work, shop, etc.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 8:27pm
There is no good homemade mask you can use to keep you from getting sick. I even doubt my N95 masks will be all that great. That is why social distancing is so important. Look it is not here you do not need a mask if you do need a mask that is when you need to SIP no mask necessary.

You are better off buying extra can goods that you use all the time and batteries for you flash lights and lamps, and bottle water.   Keep your gas take full when it gets to 3/4 full fill it up. Then if you have to SIP you have what you need.

I only have N95 masks for "IF I HAVE" to go out in public but most likely I will be sitting at home knitting and watching my fireplace insert as I SIP.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 5:48pm
(on second thought, nah.)
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 5:18pm
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 5:16pm
Is there any way we can make safe efficient Homemade mask?
Since stores are sold out
PrepGirl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic