Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

February Prepping 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 4:26pm
Tomorrow will be my last prep run to Sams. Have to still get plywood, have some need to take stock and measure windows. Do not forget to get 2 x4 s also to help secure doors and windows. I always need 2x4 s for something.
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 7:55pm
Our most recent Costco order arrived (barged from Seattle), about $650. All the components have been paid for and shipped for our 18 panel solar system. Stocked up on meds when we lived and worked in India. House paid off a couple of years ago. Second greenhouse footings went in the end of December. Need a break in the weather to make further progress. 14x20 pantry addition was completed summer before last, and is filled. Goats, chickens, ducks, geese, pigs all producing more of themselves. Crab traps, shrimp traps, halibut rods, salmon rods, three boats, three chainsaws, roof catchment water supply, hot water plumbed through the wood cookstove, gravity water supply backup, non-electric appliances backups for electrical appliances, smoke house, three canners, 3,000 canning jars/lids, firearms and ammo, three years of firewood cut, ever expanding garden/growing areas. Never done prepping.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Thorne! Thorne! wrote:

Never done prepping.

Yeah. I see you’re pretty new to the whole preparedness thing

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 5:50am
A word to the wise.......   Prep food, water, fuel, sanitary products and pet food before anything else. These will be the mostly needed if things go south.

Food prices are up 20% compared to this time last year, Xinhua reported.

Catherine Thorbecke
10 February 2020, 16:40

Source and full article:   https://abcnews.go.com/Business/food-prices-skyrocket-china-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/story?id=68883484
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 6:52am
I always prep more of what we normally eat, then I do get some additional things like canned meats. Which I don't usually use a lot of canned meats I do use canned chicken for casseroles and chicken salad sandwiches, etc. So it won't get wasted, I just stock up on more. You can even buy a whole chicken in a can.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 9:14am
For those looking to find a way to use canned tuna in different ways, may I offer a slightly adjusted recipe my Grandmother taught me. She used salted cod but tuna works just as well.

1 cup of mashed potato (flakes work)
1 egg (dried egg works)
1 -2 cans tuna fish drained
1/4 flour or potato starch
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying.

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Make into small patties (I make them thin but you could just as well do them burger size). Fry until crispy in about 1/4" of oil.

Feeds 4

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:05am
I'll ask here: Can anyone post their favourite link to a list of what you should have on hand first aid/medical supplies wise?
When I search I find basic bandaid type kits or EMT kits - nothing in between.
Suggestions?
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:07am
Oh and everyone should have tooth floss in preps - all kinds of uses. A dentist friend on a canoe trip stitched his calf (torn wide open on rocks) closed with it (they were in timbuck3 - I wouldn't recommend trying that at home!).
Cheap, small... and strong!
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:47am
Startimg to grow some food indoors. Not only edible but will occupy some quality time if i need to SIP.
Accidently discovered this after puttimg an organic celery butt end in a dish with water and iy regrew celery. Found out a lot of food we buy can be regrown indoors.
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Lonewolf Lonewolf wrote:

Startimg to grow some food indoors. Not only edible but will occupy some quality time if i need to SIP.
Accidently discovered this after puttimg an organic celery butt end in a dish with water and iy regrew celery. Found out a lot of food we buy can be regrown indoors.

I’ve been looking for some ideas on this also, to know what inside gardening preps to pick up. Maybe an indoor grow light? (No south facing windows). I’ve also seen where people open slits in a back of potting soil and directly plant. Things like lettuce grows quickly.

Also- please do some homework on sprouting your dried garbanzo beans/chock peas in water for more nutrients/enzymes, takes just a couple days. I added dried garbanzo/chick peas to my supplies especially for sprouting purposes!
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:20am
I like sprouted grains and legumes. You get more nutrition bang for the buck that way. It unlocks their potential. Also tiny seeds like radish, clover, and alfalfa for eating fresh sprouts are a good way to keep stored food compact before eating. Just add water. I keep my seeds in the freezer. Thousands of them.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

I always prep more of what we normally eat, then I do get some additional things like canned meats. Which I don't usually use a lot of canned meats I do use canned chicken for casseroles and chicken salad sandwiches, etc. So it won't get wasted, I just stock up on more. You can even buy a whole chicken in a can.

I bottle chickens, it's really easy to do and they last for up to 2 years at room temperature. They do look awful in the jars though - like laboratory specimens. I have also bottled an entire cow which took 174 quart jars. That was alot of work but at the time I had no freezer space.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by hoosiermom22 hoosiermom22 wrote:

I’ve been looking for some ideas on this also, to know what inside gardening preps to pick up. Maybe an indoor grow light? (No south facing windows).

I grow micro greens in a South facing window. Here in the Southern hemisphere the South is the equivalent of the North for you guys above the equator. I grow them in a little window that never gets direct sun on it. We've put little shelves across the window and grow them in small foil roasting trays that measure about 4 inches by 8 inches. We grow ours for about 10 days or so then eat them. It's very easy to do and gives a good little daily crop. In an emergency situation I would aim to plant up one tray a day. I can fit about 14 trays on my shelves. I sow the seed on top of the compost, keep it moist and covered with wet newspaper for the first 4 days, then water daily and let it grow.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:52pm
Love this idea KiwiMom. Any brand seed that performs better in the pan than another?
Lonewolf great storage idea! How do you prepare them before freezing? Water tight jar? Sealer bag? Where do you order them?
(I’ve sprouted chick peas in a mason jar/canning jar before).
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 1:10pm
hoosiermom.
   To preserve them. I just put the seeds in a baggie and press most the air out. Then put them in the freezer. Dont wash and freeze them. They need to be dry upon being frozen. Freezing seeds makes them last for years. A very compact food source.
   Since I do a lot of canning (made 20 pints of chili yesterday) I just use regular mason jars to sprout in. Cut a stainless screen (from an extra strainer i had) to fit inside a mason ring then screw it on the jar with seeds inside. Put it on its side in a kitchen window and rinse it once a day through the screen. Sprouts to eat in about a week or two. Then i refrigerate and use them as needed. I usually have two or three jars in rotation on the window shelf.
I believe you can order the seeds online. I bought mine at the local organic grocery store
socalmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote socalmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 1:20pm
Some others earlier in this thread were mentioning things about health. I've been having issues with my gallbladder for a couple years, and just this last Sunday ended up back in the ER over it. The ER surgeon wanted to take it out, so I let him (in the past I've been resistant to having it removed). They did say I could go home and think about it if I wanted to, but I went ahead and let them take it. I figured it's best not to wait and have to go back to the ER later if they are overwhelmed with sick people from this corona virus. Thankfully it's not really here yet, and hopefully wont ever be. But it did factor in my decision to let them go ahead and take my gallbladder out. It turned out to be a good decision too, the surgeon said it was rotten. I'm home recovering now. And it's one less thing for me to worry about. Also I've been having dental appointments to make sure all my teeth are okay, and had all my old fillings replaced. Just sharing so others can think about these things too. It may not be good to delay getting things taken care of for your health/dental. It's probably especially good to avoid urgent care centers and ERs in the future if people start getting sick here. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I blame the pain meds.

EDIT: Also when I was in the ER my husband and I overheard nurses talking about people coming into the ER with large purses and stealing many boxes of their N95 masks! Kaiser Southern California. Usually Kaiser has masks available everywhere too in their waiting rooms, you can just grab one and put it on. None were found when we were there. All gone.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 2:47pm
Looking at musinex,very expensive. Today at Big Y picked up topcare brand chest congestion relief 400mg guaiffenesin cough expectorant for 3.99 for 50 tablets.Bought 4 bottles. If there is a second wave,shopping after the first I would expect shortages so I'm projecting out on my purchases.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 6:23am
We have an indoor grow tent, currently have 10 tomato plants growing We also have grow lights in the kitchen.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 7:47am
Well I have to say after 14 years prepping I finally purchased a mop bucket with wringer for doing laundry if Tshtf. I never thought anything would get that bad that I would purchase that one item...well things must look bad to me since I bought it yesterday.   That is my last preps with the exception of plywood for my windows have the screws already. Plywood is a spring prep hope this holds off or does not happen by then.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 7:57am
Bought some winter clothes/boots. I could have lasted the rest of this winter, but need some more in case supplies were disrupted over summer next autumn/fall.

Good thing I went today, bought the last of the boots in my size. Already the shelves were full of spring wear. At least the winter underwear were at a discount price!
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 9:12am
My main source of exercise was walking. I decided I need something to keep me from locking up like an old lady in the event of SIP. Oh wait... I am old... This morning I dug up all the exercises and equipment I learned while in rehab from a stroke and have begun working at it.

Don't ask my why, but the report from Los Alamos Lab and this seeming vacillation between is it or isn't it airborn really got to me. I decided to try to expand preps another couple of months in the event TSHTF
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 9:32am
I am so jealous, FluMom. I want one!

Witchy, that is the best possible prep. The immobile suffer the biggest death rates of pneumonia sufferers.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

I bottle chickens, it's really easy to do and they last for up to 2 years at room temperature. They do look awful in the jars though - like laboratory specimens. I have also bottled an entire cow which took 174 quart jars. That was alot of work but at the time I had no freezer space.

OMG....that's the best with the whole cow!...the whole post is epic.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 10:04am
OMG, your're right.

I have never seen a bottled chicken, much less a bottled cow before.

There is so much for me to learn and do about prepping.

http://www.utahpreppers.com/2008/11/canning-bottling-chicken/
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 10:14am
I've been prepping for years, never considered bottling a cow.

I am simply in awe.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 1:59pm
It took 2 days of 12 hours a day, and then clean up on day 3 when I washed out the pressure cookers and washed the outside of all the sealed jars ready to put on the shelves. I minced half the cow and cubed the other half. I kept the fillets and best steaks as steaks and squeezed those into the freezer. I turned the offal into faggots.

I only bottled her because she broke her hip and she was a beautiful organic grass fed dairy cow and I didn't want to waste her. She was shot and butchered 20 minutes after the vet confirmed the broken hip. Thankfully she didn't suffer long.

The very best pressure cookers are the All American ones on Amazon. They are fantastic, last forever and have not rubberised gaskets to corrode. I have them in 3 different sizes. I really want the biggest one but to get it here including taxes and freight is over $1000 US. If any of us ever go to the States, we'll be bringing one back in lieu of a suitcase.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 2:06pm
I do have two alternative washing machines. One is a 1950's drum agitator washer with a mangle suspended over it. I paid $5 for it and it works beautifully. It doesn't heat water, so you put hot water in it.

The second is a modern plastic barrel washer for caravans. You put hot water in that and then spin it by hand. The hot water and the movement create pressure that cleans the clothes.

Here's a picture of the type I have :https://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-furnishings/tiny-washing-machine/

If I remember correctly it was very cheap.

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 2:31pm
I take it all you Americans have discovered Lehmans.com

It's the most amazing store for buying off grid living items. If I lived in the states I'd shop there all the time. I've a shipment of books from them but can't bring over some of the really fun stuff. They used to sell a device call a Henry Washer which was an off grid washing maching. It was very expensive but looked so lovely. I envy you all your shopping opportunities!!!!
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 3:42pm
SO many ideas, you all are great!

A weird one just occurred to me - printer ink. As long as there is power and internet I will occasionally want to print things out to reference or read. Especially if I think it's about to be down for awhile. I need to order more printer ink!

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 3:51pm
Techno lol I also bought two toilet plungers to do the agitation by hand they cost 4.00 ea. LOL been planning this washer for years hope I never have to use it.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 3:54pm
And printer paper. I forgot about printer paper!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 4:34pm
Great minds bought a case of 5 reams but need to get ink too.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Techno lol I also bought two toilet plungers to do the agitation by hand they cost 4.00 ea. LOL been planning this washer for years hope I never have to use it.

Flumom, you're describing a washing dolly. To make the plunger work as a dolly then you should drill some holes in it. The holes allow a bit of water through and reduce the suction thereby agitating it better than an undrilled plunger. Here's a picture for reference. Up until recently you could buy a new plastic one in Australia.

This is a picture of an antique one:

http://www.antiquesandcollectables.com.au/ad275/washing-dolly/

Here's a great pinterest site of modern day homemade washing gear including a bastardized toilet plunger. Enjoy.

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/138978338475207244/?lp=true

You;ll have to cut and paste those links as for some reason they haven't come up in orange. That's weird.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 9:23pm
Thanks I will check it out and make mine like the old time ones. Easy I will drill some holes in my plungers, great suggestion...thank you big time!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 11:08pm
I personally love the idea of washing without electricity - in theory anyway. While still a student I was very poor and the only washing machine I could afford was an old fashioned twin tub. It was very labour intensive but it worked.

I have made sure i have plenty of biological (enzyme) washing powder in my preps. I want the powder to do the work for me so I don't have to.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 4:06am
Well....sprouting seeds added and hand washer plunger after the past few helpful posts! (My credit card has taken a beating as I am sure many of yours may have.) I started with water, then food, OTC medical supplies, lighting, paper products, cleaning supplies, in that order, just in the past few weeks. With the ongoing increase in numbers, I feel the need to start adding more volume to my food staples (sugar, coffee, rice) and try to add a few luxuries. Also, there will be a run in bleach I suspect next (and disinfectant wipes- I’ve bought cheap white wash clothes for disinfecting from a dedicated bleach water buckets ).   We do not eat canned foods with pumpkin and chili beans as the exception, but now that’s sort of my defcon 5 last add for convenience of the power goes out. Last on the list is non hybrid seeds for container gardening.

Any advice... or thoughts?
Living in a suburban/urban area, we should probably consider eating the foods that take the most energy to prepare, just in case there’s a power interruption? ie- dry beans versus canned. 60 minute rice versus quick rice etc.

When do you fill your water storage containers? I feel like that is one of the last steps also before SIP or risk for loss of services. Rotating the water possibly every few days-refilling each day a few containers.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 4:22am
Water keeps. As long as it is out of the light. Algae are nasty!

If in doubt, boil before drinking.

You can, I believe, purify water with a few drops of bleach. I have never tried it and would have to be REALLY desperate to do so. Bleach is so poisonus. I don't even know how much to use or how long to let it stand.

I do keep a handful of water purification tablets for emergencies - at least my body can use the iodine.

My local supermarkets all sell very cheap sugar free lemonade and cola in 2L bottles. I keep a few of them too. Cola especially, containing caffeine, makes a good coffee-withdrawal-headache cure when a cuppa is not an option. Being sugar free, if unopened, this keeps fantastically well too. I drank some 2 years old this Christmas. It was fine.

I keep the bottles - to store water of course.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 6:14am
8 drops or 1/4 teaspoon of bleach to a gallon, if the water is clear. That's for bleach that is 5.25-8.25% chlorine. Mix thoroughly and let stand 60 minutes before drinking.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 6:38am
I bought water cubes used by the emergcy services of many countries. They come with a box each for stacking and carrying. They are still in my storage never used them. Will take out and fill when i first SIP. Water will still be good then and I will add 1/4 tsp per gallon to keep fresh, I am hoping we don’t have to SIP until school is out.
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:26am
Oh my gosh, I am so glad you started talking about water and bleach! We just refilled our giant 50-gallon container and 30-gallon drum that live in our garage. My husband bleached them before filling them to disinfect them, then rinsed them out well, but since they’ll be in the desert heat all summer, I feel that they should have bleach added to the hose water we filled them with. So 1/4 tsp per gallon? 12.5 tsp would be enough to keep 50 gallons clean?

THANK YOU!
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:44am
A 4 minute rolling boil will make it potable.Boiled water taste flat so I bought a lot of dry drink mixes to make it palatable.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:58am
Water, very important. See these lines for water in China now:

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1227996598678016000
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:05am
Don’t forget filters if you are using water from a natural source. Coffee filters are recommended as a cheap filter.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:08am
I bought a nice little Sawyer water filter, straw style, but can hook up to filter 100,000 gallons it says. Pretty cheap..$20
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

You can, I believe, purify water with a few drops of bleach. I have never tried it and would have to be REALLY desperate to do so. Bleach is so poisonus. I don't even know how much to use or how long to let it stand.

I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK but buy a big tub of pool shock. This is granulated bleach that we use in our pool. It keeps forever. I have a 10kg tub of it to hand. You can use it to sterilize water. You simply add a couple of grains to a small water bottle, shake well, then leave to stand for 30 mins. Upon opening you should get the tiniest of whiffs of chlorine. If not, add another couple of grains and repeat. You'll soon discover how much you need.

I keep a small plastic vitamin bottle of pool shock in the glove compartment of each car we have so that in the event of a huge earthquake and we have to walk home, we can refill our water bottles from streams and rivers en route. It's fantastic stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic