Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

February Prepping 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by BabyCat BabyCat wrote:

Water, very important. See these lines for water in China now:

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1227996598678016000

Why has the water supply to peoples' homes failed?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 11:50am
I'm not storing water. We have a well where we get our supply but I also have tanks attached to our barns and they collect the roof water. We have 90,000 litres in storage tanks right now.

You can buy a great piece of kit called a downpipe diverter that you fit in line on your roof downpipe and divert rainwater away into a tank. If you get one, be sure to get one with a first flush fitted, as this takes the first water off the roof (containing the dust, leaf debris etc) and swished that out onto the ground and then subsequent clean rain goes into the tank.

Personally I think that even if you don't want to fit it, it's worth getting now as they are cheap. Make sure you have everything (like a hacksaw) you need to fit it and keep it in a cupboard until you need it. I suspect they'll sell out in seconds if the water goes out.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 1:31pm
In the U.S. before you star saving rain water, check your state laws, in some states it's illegal to catch rain water. Of course in an emergency I don't think anyone will care or be checking lol.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

In the U.S. before you star saving rain water, check your state laws, in some states it's illegal to catch rain water. Of course in an emergency I don't think anyone will care or be checking lol.

Wow! That's unbelievable! Rain belongs to whom ever it falls on. It's a basic human right. And it's free. I'm so glad I don't live there!!!!! There are whole suburbs of Auckland that have no watermains, and everyone lives on tank water from their roof. I know because I used to live in one.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 8:35pm
Bleach breaks down fairly quickly as the chlorine off-gasses. We use a 1:100 solution to disinfect equipment, surfaces and treatment chairs at work, and we have to make it fresh in covered, opaque containers every day as it loses potency. If it worries you, with the relatively small amount you need to treat drinking water (which is harmless at that concentration) you can pour it back and forth between containers until enough of the chlorine has dissipated. That also works to get rid of the flat taste that boiled water sometimes has too.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 9:54am
I am not a fan of bleach. But i have 55 gal barrels cor water stock which i clean out with a bleach solution then rinse amd then fill with water then put a small porportionate amount of bleach back in. Not very much as my city tapwater already is chlorinated. But i do put a few drops in.
Absolutly the only thing i use bleach for. I do hate the stuff.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 1:33pm
I have a pool, so I should probably go ahead and buy some extra shock and chlorine tablets. We keep it running year round.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 3:58am
After doing a full inventory on my food preps cabinet, I was pleased to see I've successfully kept up with preps. Near to expired food got donated to the food pantry and replaced. I've bought an extra filter for my Barrier water pitcher which filters out 99.9% of uglies including virus. I'm not worried about losing water because here in NYC water is fed by gravity. I'm not all that worried about losing power because after 35 years here, I've only lost power once during the Great Northeast blackout. And then only for 10 hours as Fort Hamilton was a priority and I'm on the same grid.

Tomorrow I'll toddle on down to my local market and buy bleach, vinegar and cleaning and disinfecting supplies. Today I will order another two months worth of cat food. I have enough litter for four months, I may extend that to six (if I can find room for it).

I have been obsessive about rotating six months stock of my daily meds so I'm good there.

I've been printing out recipes and putting them into my SHTF binder. Also knitting and crochet projects and putting them in binders because I have to have SOMETHING to do. (Heaven knows I have enough yarn) I've also been downloading audio books to my tablet for which I have a solar notebook charger.

I've already squirreled away cash in small bills. (that was the very first thing I did when news of this broke)

And then I think I'm done because I'll be prepped for six months. Once I hear of a cluster outbreak anywhere in the Metro area I will shut shut the door for at least two weeks to see if there are any more cases. There will be one last trip for fresh fruit and veg and bagels as soon as that news breaks.

I didn't notice there was a recipe section on the forum. Too girly? I thought it might help expand people's repertoire cooking with non-perishables which could get boring if you're used to eating fresh.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

Also knitting and crochet projects and putting them in binders because I have to have SOMETHING to do. (Heaven knows I have enough yarn)

Hahahaha! I hear you on that one! I have an enormous sewing room full of fabric and yarn. If I had the time I certainly have the materials to spin, weave, sew, knit and crotchet clothes for us for the next 30 or 40 years!!!
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 1:13pm
I have just started learning how to make bread. I have a no-knead cast iron version and I ordered a Pullman Loaf Pan off Amazon to make sandwich bread in. I am sure its a basic skill, but one I have never attempted.
Bought all my supplies to start working on it and have a few good recipes from a friend on the net.
I also have stocked my extra bedroom with canned and dried goods. Every time I am in a grocery store I add just a little more for the larder.
As far as meds, I stockpiled so many long ago and also took my ex's leftovers...lol...like penicillin he never finished and was going to ditch. You never know. I have a little bit of most everything, even steroids and Tamiflu.
Just following along with all of your good advice on here as I am fairly new at this.
Lonewolf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 2:07pm
Just saw a bulk stack of 300 paper plates at walmart fo $10
Nice if we badly need to conserve our water.
Still stocking. Also replacing older expired canned goods (its nice to stock what you like to eat and eat it than have to throw out what you didnt eat) and we are looking for local grown honey to refill the two 1 gal jars
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 2:19pm
Just had a shipment of freeze dried food arrive. Went to my local shop this morning and picked up a few self defense tools to add to the collection. Waiting on one more food delivery, vendor now says it will be delayed and their site is out of stock on most things.

QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 8:18pm
Stocked up on tp, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, paper bowls, tissues this week 
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 8:45pm
Have done all of that...always thinking I need more TP but I have so many napkins that are unused just sitting there can be used as TP. I only have plywood for windows left and a little more gas cans to fill. I keep trying to think what more I need ...I have been collecting stuff too long!!!
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 9:42pm
I have a little camping stove. I should probably get more cans for it. I'm good on TP, but could always use more OTC meds.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 9:54pm
Hi Hachi, I would get more cans just in case. I don't think otc drugs will do much but I would put in cold meds just in case. Stay well.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 10:26pm
I bought a few supplies, masks, disinfectants, and even ponchos/booties, but mostly SIP kinds of things, like water jugs for storage, disinfectant tables, water filter straws, a couple MRE cases, emergency rations, emergency hand-cranked radio, indoor camp stove plus heat source, medicines, first aid kits, light sources, etc. It never gets below freezing here, so no need for winter weather kind of gear.

I considering dried food solutions (I don't can large animals, haha), but at the cost per calorie, I think getting a sufficient amount of shelf-stable food at a Costco or Sam's Club (rice, pasta, arepa flour (precooked corn and super simple to make, just add water and cook). canned food, dried foods like jerky, granola bars, in larger sizes,etc. is a better option for me. I think the dried long-term (up to 25 years prepper-type food) is nice, but this is a fairly predictable threat coming, and the timing (maybe in next 2-6 months until SIP) can reasonably be seen. This way, if it happens, I'm ready, if not, I and my family can eat the food as normal, and I didn't have to drop three to four times the money per calorie.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 4:58am
I've come to the conclusion that Covid-19 is in the general population here in the U.S. as we speak. Multiple thousands are under self-quarantine here in the U.S. Yeah.. I'm a little slow sometimes...

I finally broke down and ordered 10 day supply of antibiotics. Yes, I know it will be ineffective against a virus, but I'd feel more comfortable having them in my meds supplies. I already have six months of my other meds - the one thing I've been obsessive about rotating so it's all fresh.

I think I'm pretty well done prepping. There are a few things I'll order today but that's about it. Besides.. I'm not sure I have any more room in my emergency equipment closet or my preps pantry closet...

Going forward I'll continue to social distance, only go out once or twice a week in the early morning to do regular shopping, and keep an ear out for possible illness near me.

By the by... BePrepared.com website has been down all morning. Error 500. Does anyone know what that error code means?
Gdeb View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 5:03am
Internal server error...could be anything on their web server....bad disk, etc
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 5:16am
There is one OTC med I would recommend specifically for this bug. Vic! Or a cheaper generic version of a vapour rub containing camphor.

When a body is infected with a viral pneumonia, cells lining the inside of the lungs slough off (because they are infected and the white cells kill them) and are coughed up. This leaves gaps in the surface which bacterial pneumonia can invade through. (Bacterial pneumonia is in the environment). Camphor, in addition to making breathing easier, stops pneumococci from breeding. It does not kill them, but as they can't breed, our exhausted immune systems have time to kill them. The camphor enters the blood stream mostly through the skin, not the lungs. You need to wear the rub, not just inhale it.   YEUCH!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Gdeb View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 5:47am
Nice info on the Vics. My grandmother, who lived thru the Spanish flu, swore by mustard plasters. I have no idea how to make them, but maybe I’ll look that up.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Gdeb Gdeb wrote:

Nice info on the Vics. My grandmother, who lived thru the Spanish flu, swore by mustard plasters. I have no idea how to make them, but maybe I’ll look that up.

There are different ways, but the one my grandmother used was a handful of crushed mustard seeds mixed with honey.   She smeared that on our chests and then tied cheesecloth across our chests. The honey makes it less likely to dry off and adhere to the skin (hence "ripping off a mustard plaster) than mustard powder, water and flour mixture.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 6:38am
Originally posted by quietprepr quietprepr wrote:

Just had a shipment of freeze dried food arrive. Went to my local shop this morning and picked up a few self defense tools to add to the collection. Waiting on one more food delivery, vendor now says it will be delayed and their site is out of stock on most things.

QP

LOL, nice, quote "and picked up a few self defense tools"

We call those "gardening tools"
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 6:47am
Off the subject a bit. Went to local children’s hospital for my kiddos routine follow up yesterday. They are asking everyone about travel to China when checking in, “travel to China in past 14 days? fever or cough?”
I wanted to say “traveled there 15 days ago, but that shouldn’t matter right?!” Lol.
Gdeb View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 8:14am
Thank you! Sounds like I will have to play around with that a bit to get it right. Not sure it would help with the virus anyway, but sometimes the old stuff helped better than we may realize!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:39pm
Well, as could be predicted, now those who were wise enough to PREPARE are going to be accused of HOARDING. This from a former CDC doc talking to Chinese Communist state media (bleh). Well, governments and people were warned, repeatedly, of the possibility. Should others who thought to prepare be vilified?

Can anyone here foresee confiscation? I can. Not a remote possibility in my mind in some parts of the world, or even the US.

https://twitter.com/DrTomFrieden/status/1230967399215661056

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:44pm
Good luck with all the guns in this country! People will not give up their preps without a fight.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Good luck with all the guns in this country! People will not give up their preps without a fight.

We've always thought that if civil war erupted in the US it would be over in 20 minutes because everyone's armed. You'd all shoot each other and that would be it. Not really enough time to make the popcorn to watch it with.

But seriously, I do think confiscation is something that all governments are prepared to do and can legally do under a state of emergency. Of course just because they can it doesn't mean they will. I know that here the local council can confiscate the contents of supermarkets and the petrol station fuel tanks. That's common knowledge. Of course the owners would be compensated and they would do it to stop panic buying and hoarding.  But things would have to get pretty bad for them to do that but the legislation is in place.

Years ago I read an American piece saying how your government keeps a list of all the mormons (are they the ones who have to have 2 years worth of food stored????) and quite early on in an emergency they plan to confiscate their stored supplies. Of course the Mormons are easy targets as their religion dictates what they have to have so it's easy to find out who's got what. But for the average person, how would the government know? They wouldn't. Particularly if you bought stuff over a long period of time.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:54pm
Kaiser was also asking if people traveled to China in the last 14 days, HoosierMom. They didn't do that at my appointment two weeks ago, so that's rather new. This was Urgent Care though so it made a bit more sense, I guess?
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 3:14am
It's a little after 6:00 am and I am making a grocery store run.  I live in a small town,don't expect  anyone there. If they are they are WOKE ! Don't feel comfortable going out when the place is packed. I still can't absorb the predicament we're in.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 3:53am
Hopefully your experience is not like the one I had yesterday, Pixie. Shelves were well picked over and I could only get half of what was on my list.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:23am
Just got back from store,got there about 6:45, not a soul was there. I thinking to myself this is great,felt confident,though on occasion you would hear an employee cough. It's tough because seasonal flu is still so high. Then some woman was there being overly friendly,as she talked I just started backing up,and she just kept stepping close to me,I finally said "look I'm just getting over a cold,I just don't want to get sick" She wasn't WOKE! Then at the self check out,this bored checker starts touching my groceries on the belt,At this point I was just on auto pilot with my patience,"Please don't touch my stuff." Left the change in the cup,then she says you forgot your change,Finally told her to leave me alone. My inner New York habits roared back. None of the shells looked low.surprisingly
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 2:32pm
In between activities checking in here at AFT during a few days away. DEFCON 6 purchases (gulp) I’ve just ordered a couple big blocks of Velveeta. We never eat that type of processed foods, but a meal of Mac and cheese may be the comfort food kids may enjoy. A few things I would normally buy or use getting checked off the list. Also a couple cases of healthier ingredient soups with pop top cans the kids could open if adults are sick. (If you have kids-make sure you have some items they can open and eat without cooking-risk of fire or burning themselves). Purchased some bulk container, dry beef and chicken gravies, could help stretch meats a bit more by way of flavor/texture over rice dishes. Also, a little pricier (around 15% more) buy some pastas with a full serving of veggies in the noodle. Could add some easy nutrition into the diet if rationing you’re veggies, any hint of veggie flavor for your picky eaters covered in sodium filled Velveeta
Touchoftheblues View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Touchoftheblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 3:04pm
Just thought I’d throw this out there. I purchased fishmox from Thomas labs.  Fishmox is plain amoxicillin, manufactured by the same supplier you would get amoxicillin from a pharmacy but packaged with a picture of a fish on it haha. You can buy it without a prescription. 19.99 for 100 - 250mg pills.  Just a warning though, research thoroughly what dosage for what ailment you have. Improper dosing can be dangerous. I don’t plan on using this at all unless it’s a total catastrophe out there. It’ll be nice to have a supply though if China shortages hit home. 
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:16pm
I found this somewhere. No recommendations, no warranties, express or implied.

For discussion purposes only.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 6:13pm
I bought a pulse oximeter. They're about $15-25 on Amazon/eBay.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 6:18pm
Dang, I have a lot of this stuff because I needed it when my husband was dying.   Guess it was good i saved it all.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 6:24pm
I've also bought some #10 cans (still decent selection on Walmart and Costco
-BP cuff and stethoscope (Walmart.com) for more vitals
-emergency water purification tabs
-emergency food ration/bars/MRES (in case advisable to bug out to a safer area or better SIP place like a distant relative...Can you imagine the hell Wuhan residents have gone through?), camping/survival gear pack
--

Thinking about how to care for a sick family member without getting infected (or if I get infected, how to prevent others from getting it)..infection control will be very difficult with shared bathrooms, etc. Maybe port-a-potties and 3 mill plastic sheeting to create containment zones? I (or they) also could use some PPE I have...
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:24pm
The Fish Mox (amoxicillin) is cheaper on Walmart PetRX $13.99 for 100- 250mg, I just ordered some and some cipro the fish type. Read the reviews, most are from people using it. I tried to order some antibiotics from Canada without a prescription from the site Albert recommended and they cancelled the order right away.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 9:01pm
PLEASE review all family members allergies to antibiotics AND cross reference the other antibiotics in the same “family.” You do not want to have someone in your home have an allergic reaction, as it can be avoidable knowing what is safe. Also do not forget the Benadryl (both tabs and liquid) for a mild allergic reaction to most anything else and Epi-pen refills if you have a family member in need of having one on hand.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:03am
Good point!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:19am
Yes, most definitely, know what you can and cannot take. I cannot take Amoxicillan because I am allergic to it, I have to take other antibiotics. However, 2 other people in my family can take it. I have allergies so I always have liquid Benadryl (generic) in the house, pills in my purse and I carry an epipen. You also need to know how much to take and what strength. I got what my family normally takes.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:40am
Also, write out instructions for who can take what and how much, if you are too sick to administer, you can share your instructions with someone else who can!
Also in another post- I’ve had patients use CBD oil quite successfully for anxiety and some types of seizures- again disclaimer to PLEASE do your homework when adding any meds (over the counter and when introducing new meds to others).

My latest addition is a “to do” list is a “to do” list for each family member. Based on what they would be able to do if things get stressful during even more last minute prepping. It will give them a sense of control and ease their minds they are “doing” something to contribute. I’ve started a bit now, showing one older child where everything is at, like my notebook with instructions and where things are kept about the house that might be helpful if I’m not around.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 6:20am
I have done the same over the years . I have color coded notebooks to help my son if I am gone...garden, water, medical wood saws how to sharpen food. I have accumulated a lot of info including books. If I am gone he has the ability to protect himself and a family in the future.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 7:26am
You rock Flumom! Love the color coded!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic