Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Name Change from COVID-19 to SARS-2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name Change from COVID-19 to SARS-2
    Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:27am

Well, here we go again with another name change from COVID-19 to SARS-2.

I really don't care what they name the virus, whether it's SARS-2 or COVID. What I find disturbing is that in early January, the Chinese citizens were all saying it's SARS, and their Gov't began arresting them for saying it. At that stage in early January, I too thought it was a variant of SARS, and apparently it was indeed. Then shortly after, China and the WHO made a huge effort to hide the truth that it was a SARS-variant to avoid a panic, and they still are. China is already upset once again that they are calling it SARS-2, and the WHO again is backing China on it. Bottom line - based on gene sequencing, it is a SARS variant. Will never forget 15 years ago how the Director General of the WHO Margaret Chan was widely criticized for her cover-up's and protecting China.

Update: ‘A bit chaotic.’ Christening of new coronavirus and its disease name create confusion

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/bit-chaotic-christening-new-coronavirus-and-its-disease-name-create-confusion
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:28am
Because this isn't confusing...coronavirus (which I guess it is still, technically) to NCoV-19 to COVID-19 to SARS-2.  Crazy!  Ouch
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:35am
WuFlu to me. Even though it is not a flu, it is like flu and the name is catchy.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:43am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

WuFlu to me. Even though it is not a flu, it is like flu and the name is catchy.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:29am
The new name makes sense. That the WHO is keeping it understated to protect China from getting scared? Uhhh... what?

If they're not already scared they need to be!
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:58am
And it all takes our eyes off the ball from getting ready for this...???
If it's to be - it's up to me!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:14pm
Well changing the name sure keeps the 

Pen pushers happy at the WHO.....

making sure they spend all of that BIG BUDGET

WUFLU......LMAO
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:33pm
They changed the name again? 

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:40pm
Yes Fred. They did.

Alice
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Yes Fred. They did.

Alice

lol
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:59pm
JD for the love of God! lol... dying lol
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 3:39pm
I think the name changes are purposely done to try to confuse people, when they are searching for information, or a consistent, reliable source.

I find I have to search multiple terms on Twitter to find relevant, more complete information: coronavirus, nCoV 2019, COVID-19, SARS 2 nCoV, etc.

We will see an unprecented information blockade I believe, with all the major social media platforms censoring information to allow only "official" sources for "public safety" reasons.

Goodbye Bill of Rights for a while.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 3:44pm
Good point Babycat
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:22pm
It is also hard to search the internet for something which keeps changing its name. What do you look for?
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:35pm
Here is link to CDC website on name change https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 6:53am
As an Aussie, stuffing around with names is our national past time. If the WHO wants to play... I think we can have a crack too. So my new syllabic abbreviation for WuFlu is just "Wu". Short and to the point.

Example. Using it in conversation... I heard Tom from accounts just got a case of the Wu. Yeah. It was nice knowing him.

lol, hows about sneezing. Ah-wu!

Theres a joke in there somewhere. I need to stop drinking and chatting
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 6:57am
Originally posted by cobber cobber wrote:

As an Aussie, stuffing around with names is our national past time. If the WHO wants to play... I think we can have a crack too. So my new syllabic abbreviation for WuFlu is just "Wu". Short and to the point.

Example. Using it in conversation... I heard Tom from accounts just got a case of the Wu. Yeah. It was nice knowing him.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:10am

🤧 🤧 🤧 🤧 🤧 🤧 🤧

Hilarious! To me it is now the wu
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:18am
"Oh, no, I caught it, wu is me.."

Knock, knock
Wu's there?
(silence)

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Wu.
Woo-hoo?
No, wu. Wu-flu!
Who flew? I don't know who flew.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Wu flu.
Wu flu who?
Wu flu in your nose!

--

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:29am

CCP’s National Health Commission Cover-up Coronavirus Outbreak On Purpose?

However, it seems that the cover-up of coronavirus started to manifest in early January and was not conducted by the general public. The recently leaked information indicated that back to January 2, 2020, Yan-Yi Wang, Director General of Wuhan Institute of Virology, sent out an important reminder of “strictly prohibiting disclosure of Wuhan unknown pneumonia”. As shown in the leaked picture, Yan-Yi Wang had received phone calls directly from China’s National Health Commission (NHC) with clear commands that “any test data, result or conclusion that is relevant to the epidemic shall not be published to self-media, social software, public media including official websites or cooperation institutes including technical service firms.”t

Coincidentally, another document leaked out and illustrated that on January 5, Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center has reported to NHC with the Etiological Investigation Report on Unknown Pneumonia Epidemic from Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, Hubei Province, stating “the unknown virus shares an 89.11% genome of SARS” and that public respiratory precaution and anti-virus treatment measures shall be in place promptly. Yet no information leaks around the response from NHC has shown up.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

Here is link to CDC website on name change https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Dang and we are depending on people who can't eve get the name right the first time.   Business lesson 101 you don't announce a name until you are sure what you are dealing with.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:38am
Probably on skeleton staff; too many cases of the wu.

Where do you think we got the phrase: "Wu WHO!"?
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 9:48am
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 1:48pm
Love you guys,

Keep smiling, 

keep calm, 

keep your sense of humour,

Get through anything 

WU  flings at you .......

Wu flung dung........lol

Marcus Aurelius
Gdeb View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 2:08pm
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 2:09pm
Really enjoying some of the jokes in this thread.

But to be clear, the name has not changed. They just finally named the virus.
The virus is SARS-2.
SARS-2 causes Covid-19. (Just like HIV causes AIDS)
Oh, and I should also mention that the WHO does not like the name SARS-2 so they will call the virus “The virus that causes Covid-19.”

Clear as mud?
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 2:17pm
Knock Knock
Wu's there
(silence)

Lol Gold!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 3:00pm
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 3:01pm
Wu to me, Wu to you too?

That's me and wu sorted!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 4:50pm
'Ere I marry
I caught the wu
Now fear my betroh'd
Could get it, too

It's quite scary
'Tis kind of flu
Now 'ere disrob'd
We mask our loo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 4:54pm
literary crying with laughter......

Well-done LMAO

Marcus Aurelius
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 6:03pm
In all seriousness changing the name several times may be tactical. Information suppression??

I know when we change names in our business. Rebranding products etc. I has a huge effect on web traffic. There is a big problem when changing branding. The entire communication system gets confused. Some people still referring to the old brand. Some people talk about the new brand. Search engines index slowly therefore the new branding doesn't come up in searches. It really throws a spanner in the works.

Also the should have called it SARS 2 electric boogaloo. Just say'n opportunity missed.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 9:31am

On 9 February, virologists in China suggested in a paper in Virologica Sinica that the latest virus be called transmissible acute respiratory syndrome, or TARS-CoV.

Sun Caijun, an infectious-disease researcher also at Sun Yat-sen University, says that he would have preferred the virus be named clustered acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (CARS-CoV) or rapid spread respiratory syndrome coronavirus (RARS-CoV), given the virus’s quick spread.

Source:   ttps://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00154-w?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=e78ea5a02c-briefing-dy-20200217&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-e78ea5a02c-43962649

Still the wu to me. How about you, wu too?
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 10:54am
Wu-ee! This whole name this is a hard one to pick!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 10:58am
And you could watch films all day about it on Wu-Tube.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 11:35am
Wuthering Wurlitzer wunderkind!

It seems we have a real wuther, here, no theory necessary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 7:17am
With absolutely no appologies to Ogden Nash whatsover:

Sneeze on me, sneeze on you,
If unlucky, we get the flu.

Cough on me, cough on you,
Bloody H*ll we cought the wu.

Pox on me, pox on you,
All my nightmares are coming true (Last verse by Technobrat)
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 1:42pm
Lofreakinl!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:00pm
The name changing is a very sinister ploy,

Just shows how governments and organisations 

Go about trying to deceive the masses......

When a company goes Bankrupt what do the directors do 

"Change the name and do the same"

An old old tactic.......have seen it many times

I know I'm old.....ish....lol

Marcus Aurelius
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:48pm
Love the poem Techno...I give you an A+.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:55pm
It's easy - COVID-19 is the nomenclature for the DISEASE, and SARS-CoV2 is the nomenclature for the VIRUS. 

CRS, DrPH
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 2:57pm

Theres a joke in there somewhere. I need to stop drinking and chatting

God bless our Australian mates!  Clap
CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 3:10pm
Doc,
Big respect....Wink

BUT

In the words of 

DOUBLESPEAK........

to fool the Masses.......(emphasis MASSES)

As Cobber says, 

Us AUSSIES are masters at the name change game.....

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 3:17pm
The name covid-19 is a mouthful, SARS 2 is not much better.

Who calls influenza, influenza? No one. We call it the flu.
So forget all that rubbish and just call this the wu.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 3:52pm
Oh, I have another verse.

Pox on me, caught from you,
Next time China, don't eat the zoo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic