Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

RZ Mask Good As N 95 Mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RZ Mask Good As N 95 Mask?
    Posted: February 16 2020 at 12:53pm
My son says RZ Masks are better than N95 masks. Ok you experts out ther is my son right or full of it? I am planning on sending him a box of N95 masks to make sure he gets home alright. He came up with this alternative.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:01pm
Down to 0.1 microns.

Coronaviruses are 0.11 microns - so perfect. Maybe even better than N95.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:04pm
Thanks Techno...I will have him get some.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:06pm
They are not cheap.

May be ok for you, all the UKs are imports from the USA.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:23pm
These masks are useless unless they are professionally fitted.  Sorry.
CRS, DrPH
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:30pm
Which ones, Chuck? RZ, N95 or all of them?
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:36pm
Chuck ther are only three sizes and they give you how to fit. My son has access to these but he also has N95 s to get home. Hey it is only $200.00 for the three of us with filters for 9 wearings each worth it for my family. I always like back up over another back up...watched too many disaster apocalyptic movies.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 1:56pm
We need answers here Chuck.

1. Which masks need to be professionally fitted? N95 and FFP3 masks all have videos telling you how to fit them and how to test if you have fitted them correctly. I can't find one for RZ masks. What else do we need to know?

2. What else do we need to know to wear them safely?

3. I believe how you take off the mask is as important (Don't touch the filter part, remove with straps and bag/bin without touching). Any idea where we can learn that - if there is more to learn?

4. Do you know of anywhere we can get a tutorial?
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:23pm
Is it possible to extend the life of masks, 

Like say putting on mask, 

Then a makeshift mask over it  from some

good quality cotton or silk? 
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:30pm
Also a great question.

Here is another: Which are better, valved or non valved?
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:34pm
I'd say valve if you wear specs.....

No steaming up 
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:12pm
I have two types of N95 with and without valves. I plan on only using if I HAVE to go out . But you have good questions.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:14pm
Techno go to RZ Masks they have lots of info how to wear how to fit and answered questions...I printed it all off.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:27pm
Pinned this post. Not sure masks will help, but worth knowing.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:27pm
Not sure if this helps anyone for the fitting questions at least? I had to go google RZ mask as had no idea... Looking at their body weight as way to measure - I know it wouldn't work for me, I have a small hat/safety helmet size, so would think you might be better off doing the facial measurement?

https://rzmask.com/pages/sizing

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+fit+an+rz+mask%3f&view=detail&mid=049DB51092A076F9E85E049DB51092A076F9E85E&FORM=VIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZPDKdYj5Y

I didn't see anything on removing safety etc - I'll try to search later tonight on protocals for 'general' equipment ? Ie you would likely take off an N95 with filter the same way as these????
If it's to be - it's up to me!
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:41pm
I have given myself 2 choices. I have N95 masks and full face CBRN gas masks from MIRA Safety. I had been looking at them for some time but this put me over the edge.  I will say the RZ masks look alot more comfortable.

QP
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:46pm
Ive committed to valved FFP3 and researched both putting it on and taking it off safely. I have goggles to go with it.

I still plan to get most of my protection by self isolation.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:08pm
I wear glasses so a gas mask is not for me because of the cost of glasses for the mask. That is why I have gone now with three different types of N95 Masks.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:41pm
Not sure of RZ respirators, but have a small supply of surgical masks, N95 respirators, N100 and P100, and even beyond. One of the reasons I think health care workers in China are getting infected is their N95 masks are only about 93-96 percent efficient with the 125 nm coronavirus. Another reason is I believe poor protocols, eye transmission, clothing, skin, shoes, etc. I believe nCoV is aersoled as well as hardy on fomites (surfaces)
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Which ones, Chuck? RZ, N95 or all of them?

All of them.  These are specialized masks meant only for professionals.  Save your money. 

1. Achieving an adequate seal to the face is essential. United States regulations require that workers undergo an annual fit test and conduct a user seal check each time the respirator is used. Workers must pass a fit test to confirm a proper seal before using a respirator in the workplace.
CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:31pm
I understand the  correct fitting of any mask in a quarantine area, 

But poping to the shop for a few supplies, surely it's better to have a mask ?

Rather than nothing, 

And as to my question Doc,

Is it possible to extend the life of masks, by covering it with good quality cotton or silk,or a cheaper type of mask?

Or are one use STRICTLY ONE USE? 

p.s. I use a mask most days, for my job, (non medical),I use N95

Marcus Aurelius
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:44pm
Carbon, I have done a bit of reading on masks (mostly with the data sheets and research 3M provides - they are an excellent resource if you look for them on their website. I'm sure they'll provide you with the answers you seek. There was even research posted about extended use of respirators, growth of bacteria and viruses, keeping clean, proper fit, handling, etc. with biohazards. One thing to be cautious about re-use is the growth of bacteria (especially with moist respiration) on the inside of a mask/respirator, which could potentially make one ill. There's a lot of mention of storage in cool, dry places, avoiding sunlight, etc. While some filters are designed for extended use (P100, for example), and about how filters even as the "get use" become better filters (blocking more particles), others are more single-use.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:47pm
Thumbs Up

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 2:53am
Well, the CDC FAQ was interesting.

I learned two more things.

Those pictures of staff with respirator marks left on their faces, were not necessarily due to the length of time they were worn for, but because THEY NEED TO BE REALLY TIGHT!

"Check the seal." as the instruction goes on the videos, does not cover how tight said seal must be.

The other thing was, valved is better (Unless you are doing surgery!) It is easier to breathe, the mask stays dry longer (vital!) and the protection for the wearer is as good.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 3:17am
This might help too.

Sorry if it is annoyingly obvious! but it is necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05wyH1-mLGk
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 3:17am
Oh! and shave your beards, men!
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Oh! and shave your beards, men!

One of the reasons (mainly the ONLY reason, except I am sure they want a clean cut look too) that men in the Navy aren't allowed to have beards is due to the gas masks not fitting properly. There are exceptions though, medical reasons that allow a beard and also for special forces, like the Seal
Teams. Yes, I am retired Navy, did all those drills and donned gas masks all the time on the ship.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 10:28am
Told my son he would have to shave. He knew that but I made sure he remembered.
Glupa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Long term valued member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 3:02pm
Coincidentally, I was in pre-mourning yesterday for my beard of many decades. My wife consoled me and assured me that I’ll never have to shave it off. Silly but true and I hope she’s right for many reasons.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic