Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Interesting Tamiflu Fact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Tamiflu Fact
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:48pm

Did anybody notice it on the bottom of page 27 in Preparing for the Coming Influenza Pandemic ????

TAMIFLU IS EXCRETED FROM THE BODY IN URINE COMPLETELY INTACT!!!

I'm not advocating it, but the author noted that, technically, Tamiflu is competely excreted in it's entirety and, as such, could be "recycled". An entire course of Tamiflu could be administered and achieved with only 2 pills by collecting and re-administering the patient's urine either orally or by nasal-pharyngeal tube.

Kinda distasteful, but, if there's more people sick around you than the Tamiflu on hand, it appears as a desperate option.  Who knows what we might need to remember?

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:42pm
mmmmmmmm......... kinky
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:26am

The last time I checked... about two months ago IIRC... the good Doctor had retracted this recommendation.

I'm not too proud to admit this was slated for me and hubby ( saving bulk for son & DL) but I crossed it off my list when I found that the recommendation had been removed from his second addition.  It shook my world when the dosage and length of treatment was upped so dramatically.  Scrambling, begging, and a lot of money eased the problem though.

When things settle down for me I will go on the hunt again to see if he was finally able to validate this.  Or perhaps some other adventurous soul could take on the task.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:47am
Well I never. that's a whole lot of savings I dont have to hoard then. better get some plastic bottles just in case.
RicheeRich View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicheeRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 4:48am
Normally, it's better to be pissed off, then pissed on. Perhaps things have changed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:29am
resorting to such ,...........thing, is not logical at all.
FluReadyNow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluReadyNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:31pm
Bannor,

Do you have a link or other info to help me start looking for more on this?  I made note of it back then, and made preps to do it if necessary.  I'd like to know if it has changed.

Whatever I find out, I'll post here.
The attacker must vanquish, the defender need only survive.
FluReadyNow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluReadyNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:32pm
Hermes,

Where does the logic break down?
The attacker must vanquish, the defender need only survive.
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:35pm
   The answer to why drinking urine does not work can be found in an extremely  technical  article that  I do not recommend you read.  This article can be found by doing a Google search using the key words:
oseltamivir carboxylate G-I losses .  This was article number 14 the last time I looked.  The title is Review glycosidase inhibitors: update and perspectives on practical use... About half way through this long and very technical treatise is a paragraph led off with the word Zanamivir and in this paragraph the meat of the matter can be found.  Originally oseltamivir  carboxylate was developed to treat flu.  It was found to have low oral bioavailability i.e. if you take this form of the drug it is mostly excreted in the stool and is not absorbed.  Subsequent research resulted in the development  of oseltamivir phosphate [Tamiflu].  Tamiflu is oseltamivir phosphate.  It is readily absorbed and in the liver is converted almost entirely to the carboxylate which is the active ingredient which treats influenza.  The carboxylate is actively excreted in the urine. About half is excreted every 8 hours.  If you drink this urine  the carboxylate mostly is lost in the stool.      ER Doc   

It is better to give than to receive.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:47pm
Thanks Frisky, now I understand. What you a re saying is eat S**t?

No thanks that's way beyond my limit.

Let's get real here. If it comes out, surely it hasn't had anything to do. laws of thermodynamics and all that stuff.

HD
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:50pm
    The name of the article I referred to above is   Review Glycosidase inhibitors: update and perspectives on practical use ...   A  little less than half way into the article is a section   on neuraminidase inhibitors The key section about development of tamiflu for treatment of flu is in this section.     ER Doc           
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:59pm
   Harpmandoodle I think  you have it figured out  i.e. if it goes on through it will not work.  But you have it wrong about eating feces because it would still go right back out without working.   ER Doc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

resorting to such ,...........thing, is not logical at all.

But tasty..LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Frisky Frisky wrote:

Tamiflu is oseltamivir phosphate.  It is readily absorbed and in the liver is converted almost entirely to the carboxylate which is the active ingredient which treats influenza.  The carboxylate is actively excreted in the urine. About half is excreted every 8 hours. If you drink this urine  the carboxylate mostly is lost in the stool.          

Actually...it would imply that you get a one-time "free shot".  ie, the first time through Tamiflu is converted to carboxylate and excreted in the urine. The seond time through, it's excreted in the stool.  So, technically, you'd get *one* re-use, maybe doubling the effect of the prescription. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:14pm
i will drink from this...
if you want to drink your own urine ,go ahead it is fine.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:25pm
I don't think that's something that's on my list of "to do" items.

I really don't think this pandemic will happen this year.  I'm prepared, but I really don't think it'll occur.

That being said, I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase tamiflu from online sites that will allow me (hopefully) live this life without drinking my own urine.

But if I had to make a choice about saving my child, I'd give it to them in a heartbeat.

Hermes.... I don't understand your posts.  You come across as a bit jaded and somewhat mean.  Why would you make fun of people who are having to make hard decisions about what they would do if faced with a pandemic?  

If this did turn into a H2H pandemic, would you drink your own urine if that could save you?  Or if (assuming) you have someone you love fell ill, would you give it to them? 

Just curious.....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:33pm
mean,bannor was mean,not me.........
i am a naturopath,and urine might be useful,in some cases,but not in bf cases,urine must be drank in a severe case,like once you are in a cataclysm,earthquaque,if you are trapped underneath rebells you might drink it to survive......
as for bf,this procedure is useless,because viruses will be in the urine.bannor advice is tragicly useless and dangerous.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:37pm
Thank you Hermes.  That was a much more informative and important way of saying what you said in the inital post.  Riddles and differences in language and inflection are hard to decipher sometimes, so straight talk and opinions are always is the most effective way to communicate with no misunderstandings.

And, fyi... I will not be eating anything I"m excreting.... gross!!

Peace.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:12pm
    U.S. Unlikely To Have Enough Vaccines To Stop Avian Flu Pandemic

Mar 22, 2006, 08:10, Reviewed by: Dr. Priya Saxena

"The medical experts' estimates suggest this is a bigger risk than anything else we are facing," said Baruch Fischhoff, a study co-author and the Howard Heinz University Professor of Social and Decision Sciences and Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon.

By Carnegie Mellon, A group of medical experts who attended a national avian flu conference last fall believe there is little chance the United States will be able to manufacture and stockpile enough vaccine or antiviral medication to stop a bird flu pandemic should the virus mutate into a form that can be spread easily from human to human, according to a survey led by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University.

The 19 medical experts who attended the Pandefense 1.0 meeting in November gave a median estimate of a less than 1 percent chance that the U.S. will have adequate stockpiles of vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent a pandemic within the next three years. The same experts gave a median estimate of 15 percent for the probability that the avian flu virus will mutate into a strain that can spread efficiently by human-to-human contact within that time. Their median worst-case estimate of the number of people who would die, should that happen, was 6 million in the United States and 180 million worldwide. Their median best-case estimates were 500,000 dead in the United States and 20 million worldwide.

"It surprised me that they thought it was going to be this bad," said Wändi Bruine De Bruin, lead author of the study and research faculty member in the Department of Social and Decision Sciences at Carnegie Mellon.

The survey also included 17 non-medical experts from a variety of fields who were more pessimistic about the likelihood of human-to-human transmission, giving a median 60 percent chance that it would occur within three years. They did, however, have more faith in medical science, giving a median 15 percent chance of the United States having enough vaccine and a 30 percent chance that the nation would have enough antiviral medications to halt a pandemic.

"The medical experts' estimates suggest this is a bigger risk than anything else we are facing," said Baruch Fischhoff, a study co-author and the Howard Heinz University Professor of Social and Decision Sciences and Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon.

Both the medical and the non-medical experts agreed that the greatest hope for mitigating the effects of an avian flu outbreak among humans lies in heightened global surveillance and, should the virus become pandemic, hand washing, mask wearing and social distancing. Unfortunately, the efficacy of such strategies in preventing the spread of infectious diseases has not been extensively studied, Bruine de Bruin said. Although the federal government has expressed a commitment to open communication about these risks, its messages have not yet been scientifically evaluated, according to Fischhoff.

- The results of the survey will be published in the June 2006 issue of the journal Global Public Health.

www.cmu.edu

http://www.rxpgnews.com/world/epidemics/avianinfluenza/article_3746.shtml

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:12pm
Frisky, Bless You!  I appreciate you coming up with the latest facts for us.  This issue creates tremendous confusion.  And as I stated above, I had grasped onto it early on like the proverbial life line that I had hoped it was. 

But, I take heart in knowing that great minds all over the world are working 24/7 to come up with some answers.  Some may not be 100%, but the way I look at it, every little bit helps.

Thanks again!
Debi
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

mean,bannor was mean,not me.........
i am a naturopath,and urine might be useful,in some cases,but not in bf cases,urine must be drank in a severe case,like once you are in a cataclysm,earthquaque,if you are trapped underneath rebells you might drink it to survive......
as for bf,this procedure is useless,because viruses will be in the urine.bannor advice is tragicly useless and dangerous.

Hermes - please don't misunderstand me. Smile I am not advocating drinking urine.  It was an interesting fact that Tamiflu is not broken down on the first pass through the body.  The rest was just speculative conversation.

I don't advocate drinking urine during the pandemic.  It was an interesting fact game, and a "what if" game - not a true suggestion. 

I plan on taking multiple natural supplements to prevent getting sick - because I believe that that is the way to survive: not get sick.  I DO have Tamiflu...but that is my "Hail Mary" plan and I hope to never have to rely on it...
Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:06pm
ok bannor
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:22pm
Hey-don't write off  drinking your own urine yet! I have a friend in germany who swears by it and it is used by many natural practitioners for a lot of ailments. Urine is supposed to have the complete vitamine and mineral requirements one needs. My friend had a very severe skin condition . She could not be out in the sun without swelling and breaking out in blisters. She went to a bunch of clinics all over the country-nothing worked. two weeks after starting on her urine, the stuff was gone.
Just thought I'd mention it :-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by worrywart worrywart wrote:

Hey-don't write off  drinking your own urine yet!

I've heard of it being used in certain indian sub continent cleansing fasts, etc.  I had a friend who would do it and would also swallow a string which he would pull through his entire body.

I can't really say.   I suspect that, perhaps, if it has a curative effect it is homeopathic in nature, ie, in taking back in a substance containing the waste or product which might be causing the problem that body might be more strongly stimulated to correct the problem.

However: in general I think that waste products produced by the body are just that: waste.

(Unless maybe it's the urine of a diabetic...technically that would be sweet with sugar, so, between that and the uric acid crystals, we could probably make home-made "pandemic candy" for the kiddies.....WinkLOL"

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:42pm

I have a question for anyone prepared to use Tamiflu. If or when you use it, do you plan to take the suggested dose or, do you plan to double up, as has been suggested in some places. I've also heard that increasing the length of time taken might help. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about that.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:46pm

“Originally posted by worrywart

Hey-don't write off  drinking your own urine yet!”

--------------

Didn’t that happen in an old episode of “MacGyver” played by Richard Dean Anderson?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:54pm

Rick,  we plan to double the dosage and double the duration.  Instead of 10 caps for a course of treatment... I'm looking at 40 caps for ONE course of treatment.

SZ

Hermes View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:02pm
i prefer the silver bullet instead of golden shower
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:05pm
Which might explain why I latched onto the Tamiflu re-administration (fondly referred to as Tasti-pee in other circles) suggestion so readily.

PLEASE NOTE:  ANYONE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE RETRACTION.... THIS IS NO LONGER A SUGGESTED TREATMENT ALTERNATIVE!!!!!!

SZ
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:10pm
Rick.

IMHO  wait and see.  I am prepared for either option as far as dose..

IMO I prefer to use the benefit of modern science in making medical decisions..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:12pm
Guest... ( I wonder if I don't know who this is??)

IMO I prefer to use the benefit of modern science in making medical decisions..

I took the information that I based my decision on straight from JAMA. (Or was it NEJM??)
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:14pm
I did not see your post. iMO was not for you. Pardon the misunderstanding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic