Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Obfuscation in Action!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obfuscation in Action!
    Posted: February 25 2020 at 1:53pm
Obfuscation is the obscuring of the intended meaning of communication by making the message difficult to understand, usually with confusing and ambiguous language. The obfuscation might be either unintentional or intentional (although intent usually is connoted), and is accomplished with circumlocution (talking around the subject), the use of jargon (technical language of a profession), and the use of an argot (ingroup language) of limited communicative value to outsiders.[
Photo: Atta Kenare/AFP via Getty Images

One of the things you want to have in the face of a potential infectious disease outbreak is credible messaging from public authorities. However, credible messaging does not appear to be one of the Trump administration’s strong points.

Yesterday, President Trump declared the virus to be “under control” and — apparently concerned by a plunge in the stock market — urged his followers to buy stocks:

This morning, Trump assured audiences “there’s a very good chance you’re not going to die.” He then apparently suggested “we’re very close to a vaccine.”

The White House clarified that Trump was referring to an Ebola virus vaccine, not a coronavirus vaccine, which is reportedly at least 18 months off.

An official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention took a more cautious line, telling reporters, “We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad.” However, Trump’s political appointees have continued preaching optimism. Chad Wolf, acting secretary for the Department of Homeland Security — one of the many federal agencies lacking a permanent director — testified that the coronavirus has a mortality rate no higher than the ordinary flu:

That is extremely wrong. The mortality rate of the coronavirus is roughly 20 times higher.

And Trump’s economic adviser, Lawrence Kudlow appeared on CNBC. Kudlow has a decades-long record of being wrong about nearly everything. Of course his expertise in economic wrongness does not neatly translate to medical wrongness, it is nonetheless unnerving to hear confident predictions from a man whose statements have a near-perfect record of predicting the opposite result. Kudlow, following Trump’s lead of reassuring investors, asserting the virus has been “contained … pretty close to airtight.”

As a virus containment metaphor, “pretty close to airtight” is not what you’re looking for. You really want completely airtight. In any case, Kudlow’s boast is at best premature and at worst fanciful. The U.S. has not conducted enough tests to determine if the virus has taken hold here yet.

It’s going to be hard to trust information from the administration when the president’s paramount concern is preventing day-to-day drops in the stock market.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/trump-coronavirus-officials-cdc-chad-wolf-kudlow.html

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 3:56pm
Nothing but the best people" is never not going to be funny. I plan to laugh at it until we’re all dead, which ought to be any minute now. From The 
Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli, who is the top member of President Trump's coronavirus task force, was having trouble accessing an online map produced by Johns Hopkins University of the virus' spread. So, he took to Twitter to ask if anyone else was having trouble with the website. He quickly realized the map was behind a paywall, much to his chagrin. But while Cuccinelli expressed dismay over the university's decision to restrict access during a time of global concern, others pointed out that it was actually little more worrisome that the U.S. government's task force leader was struggling with such a simple issue in the first place.

Cuccinelli is a lawyer and, for years, he has been a full-time wingut pest on the subject of what people do in their bedrooms and with whom and how often. He’s also kind of a nut on immigration. Now he’s on a task force fighting a worldwide pandemic on behalf of a president* who wouldn’t know a coronavirus from a lob wedge, and Cuccinelli can’t figure out how to work a website. I’m going out to look for a cave now where I can live until we figure out what the hell is going on here.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31085658/ken-cuccinelli-coronavirus-task-force-johns-hopkins-map/

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:09pm
Thought we had a "Political" section?
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:18pm
Ok Pixie we know you HATE President Trump please post these political comments in that area here. Many of us Love our President Trump and he will be here for another 4 years so chill.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:31pm
I voted Trump... but later turned on the guy and no longer a fan lol. Long story.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:32pm
We can move the thread to the political room if that's what you want. FM - you should be able to do it.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:33pm
Like I would know how to do that...lol, you are funny!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Like I would know how to do that...lol, you are funny!

Experiment with it. I think you can. If not I can assist.

Big Dem debate tonight with your boy Bernie starting in a few minutes. hehe
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:37pm
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:38pm
We're adults and you guys can keep politics civil. No doubt.

Flumom…. Feel the Bern … lol
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:41pm
I'll kick this to General Discussion.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:44pm
Hi Pixie, like I said, I voted for Trump and can no longer stand the guy due to my own reasons. We moved thread to GD, and my apologies for doing that. Just don't want to feel Flumom's wrath if we don't move it lol.

You also do AMAZING work with news & information here, and it's much appreciated. You are VERY valued here and please keep up the good work.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:53pm
FluMom, 
I am sorry you find my posts offensive.  Today we saw all of the people reporting the state of affairs. All I am doing is reporting the actions of his task force.just adding to that narrative. I post in political discussion articles of trumps  actions concerning Coronavirus all the time. Those posts are articles written by others,they are not my own words fashioned to cast  him in a negative light. This is a rolling story and my posts are a progression of his views.  Just because Joe Macarthy was a US senator doesn't mean I had to agree with his policies. That is the beauty of being an American,we can have our own opinion. I do not mean to offend you or anybody else.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:54pm
Pixie, Albert Nailed it.....Much love and appreciation at you!
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:55pm
Thank you.
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:10pm
I appreciated this post (no offense, FluMom!!). I find it extremely concerning that we have a President who cannot seem to compile a consistent administration of professionals who can take leadership roles to handle crises such as this. It somewhat leaves the realm of politics and becomes a concern of national security when we cannot trust his advisors to do their jobs properly.

For the record, I too voted for Trump — but will not do so in the upcoming election. Getting into those reasons would be far too political! So I’m shutting up here!

Please don’t hit me, FluMom! I really do adore you!
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:31pm
Hey we all have opinions I thought Obama ruined our country and Trump is bringing it back again. But I did not call Obama names said he did not know anything and appointed all of his friends to his administration which screwed this country up. He did nothing for "his people" the blacks have flourished under President Trump as well as most other people with jobs and higher pay.   

Now just because we have this pandemic which NO other administration has really dealt with in this 21st century world is no reason to down the man. He will be blamed for the Corona Virus by all the people who hate him and that the stock market tanking is also his fault. But Obama was an angle who did everything correct....LOL.

Sorry I am tired of people disrespecting Our President! Good news is he will be our President for the next 4 years...Thank God!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:52pm
I have to side on the military personnel who had the courage to speak out and lost it all. Have to support General Mattis and General McMaster for resigning, and all the others.

It's the American way to question our President. And if they screw up or incompetent, they need to be removed. It's the American right and our duty. I don't care who is Prez, but sure as hell not blindly following any leader off a cliff.   

His tweets with attacks, name calling / labeling people, and belittling folks, call ALL news fake, etc... no longer works for me. His foreign policies are scary with his nationalism. He's a damn dictator. I'm with Mattis and all the others.

Like I said, I voted Trump, as couldn't stand Hillary, but that one is now way out of hand with people, lol

As flumom said, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 5:54pm
Absolutely no problem supporting Trump here! That was only my personal view.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic