Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

UV water treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UV water treatment
    Posted: February 26 2020 at 11:18am
Any thoughts on whether UV light water treatment will kill Coronavirus? TIA.
Sheep Lady
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 11:26am
Probably, but UV water treatment has several things that can adversely affect it.

To great a flow rate (= insufficient exposure for each viral particle),
insufficient filtration (= particles of dirt in the water can block the UV rays)
and of course there is always the power-cut.

On the whole this is OK though.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 11:35am
Thanks Tech, never thought about the flow rate...it gets filtered before it gets to the light, but definitely things to consider.
Sheep Lady
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Sheep Lady Sheep Lady wrote:

It depends upon the turbidity of the water being treated.  

This may be useful:

CRS, DrPH
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:10pm
I'm still a huge fan of granular bleach for water purification if in doubt as to whether it's potable or not. I have a huge tub of pool shock. It keeps for ages.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

I'm still a huge fan of granular bleach for water purification if in doubt as to whether it's potable or not. I have a huge tub of pool shock. It keeps for ages.

Very sound advice, that is my choice also!  I work with water utilities & have access to tons of the stuff if needed.  
CRS, DrPH
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:57pm
Thanks for reminding me! I still have some from when we had the Avian scare.
Sheep Lady
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

Originally posted by Sheep Lady Sheep Lady wrote:

It depends upon the turbidity of the water being treated.  

This may be useful:

Hmm, not seeing coronavirus listed. Many thanks!
Sheep Lady
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 1:16pm
Coronavirus, being a virus, comes under the general 'viruses' covered.

Being a spherical virus, it would need maximum time (IMHO) but would still die.

The filter which precedes the UV would be most important, as the filter would need to take everything else out. A virus with a sunshade could get through.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 1:45pm
Guess I will be digging out the book to find out more about the system and buying extra lights and filters. We raise some pretty demanding fish and hydroponics in the basement so are always aiming to have excellent water quality. We all get filtered and UV treated water. Don't need any extra proteins, lol.
Sheep Lady
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 2:59pm
Ok, so I'm a bit unsure the conditions one would want or need to treat water with UV...

Is it a possibility that tap water could be a vector for virus transmission? Or, simply treated stored/well/other water sources?

I will expect the major utilities - electricity, water, gas, etc. to remain operational; however, if treated municipal water could be a vector, that's a different story. Any studies on this possibility with other pathogens in a modern, Western, society? It seems rather unlikely. Thanks.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 3:16pm
I can't answer for SheepLady but we are planning on installing it between our well and the drinking water tap. Currently our water is fine, but well water can become contaminated with all sorts of bugs from run-off.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by BabyCat BabyCat wrote:

Ok, so I'm a bit unsure the conditions one would want or need to treat water with UV...

Is it a possibility that tap water could be a vector for virus transmission? Or, simply treated stored/well/other water sources?

I will expect the major utilities - electricity, water, gas, etc. to remain operational; however, if treated municipal water could be a vector, that's a different story. Any studies on this possibility with other pathogens in a modern, Western, society? It seems rather unlikely. Thanks.

We installed this because of an excessive amount of rain in one particular year. It was like 60 inches total for the year, an unheard of amount. Our well water had a funny taste and water test results came back to us with the recommendation to install the UV light to deal with future potential contamination as the ground was so saturated. I don't remember what it organism or count was. Recommendations are still after a heavy rain to add bleach to your well and let it sit for a time before using it. I think this is overnight. The run the water for a period of time to flush out the system.

I do not think you have to worry if you have city water, but I may be wrong as this bug has never been active till now. I did read an article where they claimed bat feces carried the Coronavirus to the people via contaminated water source for Wuhan, but this was a conjecture I did not find anywhere else. KiwiMum is right. Bleach is good for any worries.
Sheep Lady
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I can't answer for SheepLady but we are planning on installing it between our well and the drinking water tap. Currently our water is fine, but well water can become contaminated with all sorts of bugs from run-off.

How deep is your well? If it's deep there won't be any contamination from run off as it'll take years for the water to trickle down through the rocks to your source. If you are less than 12 m deep then you're drinking surface water.

Here in NZ, loads of people live off tank water either from their roof or from the municipal supply that runs into their storage tank (normally 25,000 litres). Even ecoli has a hard time trying to live in a big water tank. It just can't survive in that quantity of water for more then 3-5 days.

A UV light water sterilizer is very power hungry. We looked at it when setting up our system but opted not to. Our water is deep and we run it through an alternate media filter, filtering 25,000 litres in one go through into a second tank that feeds the house. It removes silt, particles and iron from the water. And then we drink it. We don't chlorinate or UV or charcoal filter. It tastes amazing and every once in a while we send a sample to be checked and it's fine. We simply didn't need the UV despite the salesman telling me I was a bad mother and obviously didn't care about the health of my children!
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic