Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

get your prescriptions filled!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: get your prescriptions filled!
    Posted: February 27 2020 at 9:52pm
I've been worried about this for many years, as I need prescription anti-convulsants to remain alive (I have epilepsy & will die of convulsions without the drugs). 

Fortunately, I think I've laid in enough of a supply of the stuff to last for a while, but I wish I had a years worth.  I've kept out-of-date pills as an emergency backup. 

Get 'em while you can.  
CRS, DrPH
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 10:01pm
Good advice Chuck, I think this is something that will lead to riots. So many people rely on their medication to stay alive and once they realise that it's not available, real panic will set in for some. It's a terrible situation for anyone to find themselves in and I wouldn't want to be a pharmacist right now.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 10:01pm
Just badgered my doctor to refill an old ventolin inhaler prescription in case my wife needs it (cough, cough...)

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 10:20pm
I've been pretty good on staying on top of my refills and trying to keep on top of my meds. Some of my meds I'm only allowed a 30 day supply at a time though.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 5:34am
That's one thing I have been absolutely obsessive about. Keeping my six month's supply of prescription medications rotating.   I too have been considering extending those supplies to a year. I need to decide soon because I know the window is closing.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 12:20pm

This should scare everyone....FDA is withholding the names of drugs to protect manufacturers. 

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/02/28/fda-coronavirus-shortage-confidentiality/

CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 12:38pm

Well, we'll know soon enough when someone here or on social media posts "I couldn't get xyz"

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 3:20pm

Or, the prescriptions for xyz are suddenly limited...

I predict a FOIA lawsuit by concerned parties (or the media) for the info in 3,2,1...but it will be delayed, and denied, and make its way through the courts. 

Also, this will not be the first shortage. Even if China suddenly went to 100% production (unlikely). It's already baked in the cake for a while. The shutdown was too long and severe. Other shortages are likely on their way, soon, they just haven't been reported yet, imo. 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 7:01pm
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 5:11am
Oh sheesh! I have a friend who's been in battle with a MRSA infection that takes this!
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 3:19pm

Yes, its one used to treat pneumonias too.

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 3:36pm

Would it be reasonable to say "if your medicine is really inexpensive, it might be outsourced, and if your medicine is expensive it is likely to be stateside?" Or is that to simplistic?

During the avian 2009 pandemic, i had a meeting with my daughters primary about getting some Tamaflu for her to have (doughtier has a  sever handicap, and was/ is in a high risk category.. The doctor said she would not write a script, but would if the flue got to our area.

Around 4-5 weeks later my Daughters school got hit with it, and the doctor refused, or could not give us the medicine....Thank god i had pulled her the week before and kept her home days before the outbreak.....needless to say i verbally fired the primary.

Not having the medicine you might need is a helpless feeling.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 7:54pm

I am going to call the doc on Monday to get my labs drawn so she will refill my prescriptions. I take several meds including for diabetes and hypertension. I usually put off going in for bloodwork until the last minute and then call (who wants the lecture?)  but I’ve been watching my diet and have lost a few lbs so hoping my numbers will be good. I have a couple of weeks left, so she’ll be surprised LOL. I need the 90 day fills ASAP!

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 8:09am

Heads up folks....saw this posted in one of my facebook groups this morning!! March 3, 2020
Shortages of meds.....

"I hate throwing my business out there but I need help. Due to stress I have developed Thrush. I caught it early thankfully so it’s not that bad but unfortunately the pharmacist has only been able to fill 1/4 of my prescription due to 2 manufacturers being completely out (thanks Coronavirus). It’s looking like I will run out of meds before she can find more. Anyone have some home remedy’s that has helped? I am taking a probiotic."

***ETA-Its Oral Thrush***

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 10:10am

I've been filling my normal prescriptions - and have had to wait for them to reorder TWO of them because they didn't have enough.  

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 11:44am

Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

I've been filling my normal prescriptions - and have had to wait for them to reorder TWO of them because they didn't have enough.  

Good work!  Now is the time to do this, before Chinese supply chain issues start to bite. 

China might actually withhold medications to the USA "for their own population," read "in retaliation for Trump's embargo and trade war."   I've read this is a possibility but don't have anything definitive yet. 

CRS, DrPH
socalmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote socalmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:43pm

Maybe this will be a lesson to our country to not offshore important things. 

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by socalmom socalmom wrote:

Maybe this will be a lesson to our country to not offshore important things. 

I cannot applaud this comment enough. 

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 5:57pm

Was able to get my refilled medicine, a lot of people were at the pharmacy getting medicines today. More than I usually see. All hands on deck. Took longer than the usual 10 mins that it takes to be called up, they estimated 15 minutes, was closer to 25-30 minutes. Was also given another new pain medicine.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 6:41pm

Just got the notification that there is a delay on my THIRD prescription.  Sigh.  (#1 was fully filled after a 5 day delay, I picked it up a few days ago. #2 they have 21 diazepam (!) tablets out of 90, and number 3 they have 1 Breo asthma inhaler out of 3)

I filled them the second the insurance company would let me... sigh. Fortunately not too long a wait, they expect them in by end of day Thursday.

Anyone want to take any bets on the pain med I need to fill tomorrow?

Note: I've never had to wait for any of these meds before. The one that is often a problem I filled last Friday with no issues. So it's definitely sporadic.

Good luck to everyone! 

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:25am

India is now limiting export of drugs, as it depends on China for active ingredients

Originally posted by "BBC" "BBC" wrote:

The world's biggest supplier of generic drugs has restricted exports of 26 ingredients and the medicines made from them.

The restricted drugs include Paracetamol, one of the world's most widely-used pain relievers.

It comes as many drug ingredient makers in China remain shut or cut output.

India's drug makers rely on China for almost 70% of the active ingredients in their medicines, and industry experts have warned that they are likely to face shortages if the epidemic continues.

Full BBC report

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 3:54am

When I saw the above from Edwin, I checked my source, AllDayChemist.   I didn't do a comprehensive check, only checking my own medications.  They're out of the most popular (and cheapest brand) 20mg and 40mg dosages of Atorvastatin.   But they do have the more expensive substitutes to the generic.  But they're good on 5mg and 10 mg Crestor which is an alternative.

I vacillated between buying or not buying three more months of the other medications I'm on.  At present I have six months worth in preps.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic