Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Denial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emswally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denial
    Posted: March 01 2020 at 8:16am

It's blowing my mind what some people are saying about this.  I work with Nurses and Paramedics who baffle me with their lack of understanding of the Virus and its ability to easily spread.  Yesterday a Nurse told me not to worry it's just the common cold.  I explained to her the Zoonotic aspect of it and that it wasn't one of the seasonal Corona viruses.  She still didn't seem too worried and stated that the CDC and Government weren't too worried about it.   How will the general public take it when the people who are supposed to be in the know don't really get too worried about it.  Obviously that's not the total view by healthcare but it makes you wonder.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 8:27am

Look it is like Hurricanes...many stay in their homes and have to be rescued because they did not believe the weathermen that TOLD them to leave it was going to be bad.  Only when it is wide spread and one of the nurses takes it home to grandma and she dies will people pay attention.  

China only controlled it because they locked down whole cities if not so many more will have died and I believe they are burning bodies and it is much worse than the numbers they have given.  But as people go back to work it may flair again have to see how this goes it is a NOVEL -  "new and not resembling something formerly known or used" virus.  That means really no one knows what is going to happen other than right now it is killing some and that we do not have space in our hospitals to house many if it spreads to many people.

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 8:30am

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Look it is like Hurricanes...many stay in their homes and have to be rescued because they did not believe the weathermen that TOLD them to leave it was going to be bad.  Only when it is wide spread and one of the nurses takes it home to grandma and she dies will people pay attention.  

China only controlled it because they locked down whole cities if not so many more will have died and I believe they are burning bodies and it is much worse than the numbers they have given.  But as people go back to work it may flair again have to see how this goes it is a NOVEL -  "new and not resembling something formerly known or used" virus.  That means really no one knows what is going to happen other than right now it is killing some and that we do not have space in our hospitals to house many if it spreads to many people.

Perfect analogy, FluMom, the perfect storm.

Sheep Lady
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 8:43am

I told my GF that this could be like Cat 1 hurricanes sweeping the country every day, then a few Cat 2's and 3's hitting certain ares. This might last for a few months. 

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 10:50am

My father uses the last Ma&Pa pharmacy in town because they deliver,I called to see what sort of plans do they have In case of outbreak,like staying open and delivering and they said no plans have been made." People are making this to be bigger than it is"

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 11:09am

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

I told my GF that this could be like Cat 1 hurricanes sweeping the country every day, then a few Cat 2's and 3's hitting certain ares. This might last for a few months. 

That's a great way to explain it! 

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 11:13am

I saw my doctor last week and she said that their whole surgery (about 10 doctors and plenty of nurses) are extremely worried, most particularly by asymptomatic cases. They are currently discussing what to do, but frankly what are their options? An asymptomatic person could come in with a sprained ankle - do you wear a hazmat suit for that?

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Skarloey View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skarloey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 11:30am

When you look for the data and try to find the science behind some of the images out there, to deny what you find and see is utterly foolish.  I dont think that is too many people out there.  

Its the oblivious, who dont even seek facts or knowledge that to me are more worrisome.

As a rational medical related person even i find this almost impossible to comprehend where our lives are  (to my mind) headed. To imagine whats has happend in 3,4,5, now more countries, wont happen in each of our own, makes no sense, but the frog analogy is so apt for so many and it is terrifying because of this.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic