Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

The Lancet: Chloroquine Study

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lancet: Chloroquine Study
    Posted: March 05 2020 at 6:37am

I haven't read it all yet, but here is the study on Chlorquine by the Lancet. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(03)00806-5/fulltext

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 6:51am
In these cases, the most serious toxic effect is a macular retinopathy, which depends on the cumulative dose rather than on the daily dose, and permanent damage may be prevented with regular visual monitoring during treatment.   A recent studyprovided encouraging results on the safety of a high dosage of the drug (up to 500 mg of chloroquine base per day) even during pregnancy.
We conclude that chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine administration presents limited and well-preventable toxicity and may thus result in a low risk/benefit balance at least when it is used in life-threatening conditions.
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:25am

And bad news concerning Chloroquine - not sure if it's one of the ones impacted or not, but if it works against this - I'm sure it is (or will be darn soon)...   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/india-limits-medicine-exports-coronavirus-paracetamol-antibiotics

The coronavirus outbreak has led India to restrict the export of dozens of drugs including paracetamol and various antibiotics, leading to fears of a global shortage of essential medicines.

On Tuesday, concerns over supply chain shortages led the Indian government to place limits on the export of 26 pharmaceutical ingredients and the medicines and vitamins made from them.

The restricted drugs include paracetamol, antibiotics such as tinidazole and erythromycin, the hormone progesterone, which is used in the contraceptive pill, and and vitamins B12, B1 and B6. The drugs account for 10% of all India’s pharmaceutical exports.

India is one of the world’s largest producers and exporters of drugs, with the US and Europe heavily reliant on the supply.

India’s pharmaceutical companies source about 70% of their ingredients from Chinese factories, many of which have been shut for weeks owing to the coronavirus outbreak. The closure of airports in China has also impeded supplies reaching India.

If it's to be - it's up to me!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by Newbie1A Newbie1A wrote:

And bad news concerning Chloroquine - not sure if it's one of the ones impacted or not, but if it works against this - I'm sure it is (or will be darn soon)...   

Well the UK has banned any export of Chloroquine.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 2:25pm

Glad I loaded up early.  

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 2:39pm

Doing a final order off the website.  We got lucky on that one awhile back.  By the way, I've ordered from it 3 times and all orders arrived (I paid extra for the airmail delivery and it still takes 2-3 weeks).   Doing a final order for antibiotics today.  They are always good to have on hand, and also not convinced that bacterial pneumonia also doesn't play a all role in all of this, especially since the CDC is withholding all treatments being used.    Also added another batch of chloroquine today before it's too late.    

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 2:39pm

Albert I ordered on Feb 27, how long did it take for you to get yours?  I am worried I won't get mine!!

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 8:57pm

Video about Chloroquine

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 8:59pm

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Albert I ordered on Feb 27, how long did it take for you to get yours?  I am worried I won't get mine!!

I paid the extra money for Airmail and it took around 3 weeks.  With airmail they give a tracking # and I tracked it here:   https://www.ems.post/en/global-network/tracking

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:00pm

2-3 weeks though with airmail.  It gets held up in customs.  

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:49pm

Mines in the post as we speak. I've no idea if or when it'll get here.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 11:00pm

Kiwi I’m how did you find out it was in the post?  I did not get an email from them but they charged my card.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 2:49am

Beware, Albert.  That guy in the video is spouting "fringe science".  Now, the fringe is where the breakthroughs are made.  All new stuff that works starts there. Geniuses like Tessla stay there.  But so do the loonies - and they outweigh the geniuses 10 to one (at best estimate - it could be higher).

Based on that lancet study, cloroquinne could be an effective drug, but it is also a very toxic one.

"Toxic dose. The therapeutic dose of chloroquine phosphate is 500 mg once a week for malaria prophylaxis or 2.5 g over 2 days for treatment of malaria. Deaths have been reported in children after ingesting one or two tablets—doses as low as 300 mg; the lethal dose of chloroquine for an adult is estimated at 30–50 mg/kg."

Now that does not sound too bad: "I'm only going to take 500mg daily."  until you look at the previous part of the article:

"Pharmacokinetics. Chloroquine and related drugs are highly tissue-bound (volume of distribution [Vd] = 150–250 L/kg) and are eliminated very slowly from the body. The terminal half-life of chloroquine is 2 months, and that of hydroxychloroquine is 40 days. Primaquine, with a half-life of 3–8 hours, is extensively metabolized to an active metabolite that is eliminated much more slowly (half-life of 22–30 hours) and can accumulate with chronic dosing (see also Table II–61)."

That means that it builds up in your body on a daily basis.  It takes a whole month for half of the chloroquinne you took to leave your body, EVEN LONGER IF YOU HAVE KIDNEY OR LIVER PROBLEMS OR TAKE PROBENACID. So every day the amount builds up in your body.  If you are small and skinny the fatal dose can be as low as 2g (4 X 500mg doses!).  Having the drug is one thing.  Now, if you were hospitalised and they said: "We could treat you with chloroquinne if we had some." that would be great, but if you tried to take it at home:

"Specific levels. Chloroquine is usually not detected on comprehensive toxicology screening. Quantitative levels can be measured in blood but ... "  So you would need to have a way to tell the medics what you were taking as they might not work it out in time - maybe an alert braclet or pendant.  The treatments for overdose are few and urgent (basically stopping the body absorbing any more). 

This drug could save your life.  It could take it too.  So take no chances.

Source:   https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=391&sectionid=42069865

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 7:51pm

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic