Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Installing electronic door lock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bat AIDS View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bat AIDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing electronic door lock?
    Posted: June 18 2020 at 5:47pm

Seriously, though - the biometric schlage deadbolts are okay, but I'd just knock the main door-knob of with a ball-peen  or better,a light sledge. Or, better yet, kick the door in.

However, since this is your brother, he can just ring the doorbell.

Meanwhile, you'd be out of hundreds of $$$ for nothing.

This being a necromanced thread, I'm sure that you are well aware of that now.

jacslater View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacslater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 6:02pm

Have you tried calling a locksmith to do it? I got annoying family members as well who just enter my house when I am not at my other house. I called a locksmith when the virus was just hitting on Asia. Got it installed with new locks and a security system to prevent anyone from going in. Especially in this pandemic where you don't know who has the virus.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:10am

I spent some time thinking about this, and have to agree with KiwiMum.  

My folks are extremely active socially, complete extroverts. This won't change their activities at all. They're in good health, but both in their early 80's and have what would be written off as a 'previous medical condition'. And they'll continue life as normal.

Even if/when I point out that their activities put me at a higher risk if I break SIP to see them. And there's nothing I can do about it, other than make my own choice about what affects me.

As much as we want to, we can't control what others do.  :-( 

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:44pm

But surely if his code doesn't work then he'll just knock on the door and your parents will open it? Tell him straight out of the risks and tell him not to visit. How do your parents feel about this? Maybe they want him to visit? Ask them and respect their wishes, they are adults after all.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
AndyP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 5:12pm

Not sure if this is a crazy idea or not.. I've been trying to figure out how to keep my brother from visiting my parents and passing the virus on to them. I see Home Depot sells an electronic door lock that has 10 programmable codes. I was thinking I could "upgrade" the locks that they've had for a while. Then when the pandemic hits, disable my brother's code. I mean, I would tell him not to come here also. But this would be another layer, just in case he gets an urge to come here to pick something up, etc. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic