Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Who is DUMB Enough to Take A Cruise!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is DUMB Enough to Take A Cruise!
    Posted: March 05 2020 at 9:25pm

The Grand Princess...give me a break a 71 yr old man dies of the Covid19 and 2440 people who were exposed get off with 60 exposed people staying then 2440 new people get on again.  Who is dumb enough to get on a huge ship TODAY!  Sorry but I do not suffer stupid well!!!! 

quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:06pm

I was wondering that myself. Who could possibly think a cruise is a good idea? Now the ship is just offshore from the city I live in and waiting to get clearance to dock and let everyone off.

QP

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:21am

One of my many sisters and her husband just went on a cruise to the Bahama's. She is not well now, is working from home this week, it might be just the crud, who knows.
Anyway, she was telling me that for the first time ever there are more cancellations in the cruise industry than reservations....and that you can go on a cruise really cheap now.
In fact, we are on a text chain that we all talk on daily, and she was actually trying to plan another cruise with us all. Um....nope!!
Besides, I have been on many cruises, since we have a Cruise line (Carnival) that leaves out of our town. The last one I took to Bermuda was so boring to me, I actually hung out in my room watching tv when we were out to sea, as I had had enough of shows, karaoke, eating and eating some more, etc. My roommate did the same.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:04am

I met a scared lady in Bath and Body Works two days ago (my elderly mother had requested some purse-size hand sanitizers, and they were the only place I could get some).  She had about fifty of those little sanitizers in her basket as she nervously told me that she and her family were leaving on a cruise the next day. She was scared, she said, because of this “virus thing.” I sympathetically asked if there was any way she could postpone the trip, or perhaps cancel it?  No, she couldn’t. They either had to go, or lose every single penny they had paid.  I got the impression they had invested quite a bit in their trip.

I smiled and suggested that washing their hands frequently, ALWAYS before eating, trying not to touch surfaces others had touched, and being very careful to keep some actual distance between themselves and other people may be helpful. She thanked me and said “Maybe that will work!”  I felt so sorry for her. I kind of had a feeling that she would be willing to lose the money, but maybe her husband would not?  She’s been on my mind — they left yesterday. They live in my little community. I hope they come back well. I hope that her kids don’t go to my kids’ school. 

quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:29am

To people going on cruises now...what's next...hiking in Syria?

QP

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:38am

Goodwill tours of Iran.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 8:53am

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Goodwill tours of Iran.

I just spit my breakfast all over my computer screen! Thanks alot! lolol 

BeachMama: I'm sending golden light to surround the scared lady and her husband, if she follows your instructions it might help a bit. You did good with that advice. :-) 

Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 9:02am

Thing is, everyone is living in a relatively confined space on a ship, maybe thousands. I was reading that one family would loose 32, OOO or so because they wanted to cancel over the virus!!!

https://www.newsweek.com/hawaii-family-lose-thousands-cancel-cruise-china-coronavirus-1485228

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:42am

Originally posted by Pandemic Pandemic wrote:

Thing is, everyone is living in a relatively confined space on a ship, maybe thousands. I was reading that one family would loose 32, OOO or so because they wanted to cancel over the virus!!!

https://www.newsweek.com/hawaii-family-lose-thousands-cancel-cruise-china-coronavirus-1485228

Yeah, cruise lines are taking a hard line on this.  We have friends who were going on an expensive cruise of the Orient, originating in Singapore, at the very beginning of this outbreak.  I was emphatic that they should cancel.  That cruise was $17,000 but the husband needed knee surgery, so they invoked their medical cause insurance and dodged the bullet. 

BTW, I love the jokes!!  Good-will tour of Iran, LOL!!  Hiking in Syria, same!!  

CRS, DrPH
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:49am

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

I met a scared lady in Bath and Body Works two days ago (my elderly mother had requested some purse-size hand sanitizers, and they were the only place I could get some).  She had about fifty of those little sanitizers in her basket as she nervously told me that she and her family were leaving on a cruise the next day. She was scared, she said, because of this “virus thing.” I sympathetically asked if there was any way she could postpone the trip, or perhaps cancel it?  No, she couldn’t. They either had to go, or lose every single penny they had paid.  I got the impression they had invested quite a bit in their trip.

I smiled and suggested that washing their hands frequently, ALWAYS before eating, trying not to touch surfaces others had touched, and being very careful to keep some actual distance between themselves and other people may be helpful. She thanked me and said “Maybe that will work!”  I felt so sorry for her. I kind of had a feeling that she would be willing to lose the money, but maybe her husband would not?  She’s been on my mind — they left yesterday. They live in my little community. I hope they come back well. I hope that her kids don’t go to my kids’ school. 

Well if the trip cost them $30,000, then they are essentially saying they don't value their lives at figure. It's madness. Better to walk away and lose the money than risk it just because they've already paid.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Well if the trip cost them $30,000, then they are essentially saying they don't value their lives at figure. It's madness. Better to walk away and lose the money than risk it just because they've already paid.

[/QUOTE]

I would feel the same way — indeed, when it came down to it, my husband and I did. They canceled their trip to Greece, and even if we don’t get the money back through our insurance claim, we feel it’s worth the loss.

I don’t try to understand other people’s perception of money, though. Some truly do value it more than their lives.

CharmlessMan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharmlessMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:41pm

I wouldn't be bothered about the money myself.  They are going to lose the $30K whether they go on the cruise or not.  It's not like people are going to somehow get their money back by going is it?  And if you spend the whole trip paranoid about catching a highly contagious disease you aren't going to enjoy the experience much anyway, even if you are lucky enough not to be infected/quarantined/hospitalised/dead.

Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 3:22pm

Ive cancelled my trip to Berlin next Week. Though it was a cheap flight from UK, I will get the tax back. I would feel nervous now. Our regional airline, Flybe, went bust this Week. Bookings are down across the board. Its a bad situation!!. Cases in Europe are accelerating rapidly now and I expect the same here in UK.

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 6:54pm

So follow my logic here.....

We have a cruise planned for March 15.  We will lose $5000.  Of course my family is worth the money...of course...but...we also really need a vacation because we have had a tough 6 months.  So of course we have thought about cancelling....I mean who cares about the money.  Well then we just got a notification from my kids school of possible exposure.  Then we have heard multiple other possibilities that it is speaking around may places we have been.  So we did some thinking.  There is such a huge chance we will get it anyway no matter where we go or what we do...so whats the difference?  we have no underlying conditions and are all super healthy and huge exercise people. So whats the difference of sitting at home and getting it or going on a cruise and getting it.  we may be isolated sure, but the same thing can happen here where we are isolated at home.  I guess I just don't want to stop living for a virus that is likely not to cause my HEALTHy family any issues.

Reminding you all, I have been on this site for 14 years and seen lots of panic.  And I have 60 days worth of food in my house at any given time and guns and bug out bags, etc.  So i am one of you.  Just trying to navigate all of this!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:06pm

Roni, I get it. I understand. No worries. I've swung from a bit of paranoia to "spit-the-devil-in-the-eye I can face anything" at times.  It's important to be prepared, and realistic as well. 

It's true, that from what you say, you may be unlikely to be severely affected. However, there are cases where even younger, very healthy people get into trouble and succumb. Not many understand how or why yet. 

It's your call. But aside from the health factor, the US government is discussing active intervention into the cruise industry to prevent breakouts like we've seen, as they are enormously damaging to containment efforts (the 3000 passengers of the recent Grand Princess trip (the one just before the one outside of SF right now)  spread across the US, Canada and the world).

I think the decision could be taken out of your hands next week with a suspension order/agreement/moratorium with industry agreement of cruises for some time (in return for subsidies/bailout). There is already legislation being discussed about this at the WH (also for the airline industry as well).

And even if cruises are still allowed (which I doubt), it's highly probable that if you are porting from a US port one person may be infected, and you may be stuck at sea far, far, longer than you intended. 

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:08pm

Originally posted by quietprepr quietprepr wrote:

To people going on cruises now...what's next...hiking in Syria?

QP

Distributing bibles in North Korea...

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:12pm

roni you have to do what you think is best.  Like me I am 70 with some co-morbid conditions so I am staying home.  Have a good time if you go!

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:18pm

BabyCat, I think you are right and honestly, I wish they would make the decision for us for sure!  We have plans in place and even going to bring some plastic wrap and duct tape in case we get isolated in our rooms, but seriously, who wants to cruise like that?  We are calling Norwegian tomorrow to see if we can get a refund for a future cruise....especially now that there has been exposure at my sons school!  ugh!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:20pm

Roni, I see your reasoning but Babycat made a good point about being stuck at sea for much longer than you have anticipated. Also bear in mind you might end up like the Diamond Princess and be stuck in your cabin for the duration plus an additional 14 days. Now if you've booked a presidential suite, then great but would you want to be stuck in an internal cabin all that time or even in an external one? You might find yourself on a floating prison where you don't get to enjoy any of the nearby facilities of the boat. 

As to getting it, there is the danger that if you do develop complications, you might not get the treatment you need, depending where you are in the world. 

And finally, 3 days ago the travel insurance companies announced they would not cover costs of coronavirus related events. You might want to check wiht your insurer as some of them are back dating it and it doesn't matter when you bought the policy, they still won't cover it.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 7:31pm

Yes, do what you think is best. See how the company responds. I imagine that they'd be happy to give you a credit for a future cruise, rather than a refund. 

I don't know about you, but if I get ill, even with my insurance, I still have a $3,500 OPL (out-of-pocket) limit  and an $800 deductible to reach before they'll cover things (and before that 85/15), so it would cost me (and any family members) if I became ill. 

China covered all testing and treatment. US? Ha. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN (for now).

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:06am

New York State is setting up a temporary emergency travel insurance.  If you have to cancel for any reason, you will be refunded.  That's going to ease a LOT of people's minds.   

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:36am

Travel insurance?  Really!

I'm speechless.  You can die on a street corner coz the ambulance won't transport you without private insurance, wait for your insurer to pay for so long your cancer progresses (friend of my daughter) to terminal, and do without tests until you infect EVERYONE.   But don't worry, We wil pay your travel expenses.  Of course you have to be rich enough to be able to travel first.

Has this government not heard of priorities?

LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:40am

NCL is now allowing cancellations up to 48 hours before sailing - and all monies paid (including airfare if paid through cruise line) to be applied to a future cruise credit. (This also applies to previously purchased cruises.)

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence?intcmp=pro_hp_PEACEOFMIND 

ENJOY FREEDOM AND FLEXIBILITY THROUGH 2022

Have peace of mind when booking with Norwegian Cruise Line. Beginning March 10, 2020, guests who book a voyage through September 30, 2020 may cancel up to 48 hours from embarkation and receive a 100% future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. This offer also applies to guests who are currently booked through this timeframe.

Freedom and flexibility are core to our brand, and we expect this philosophy to provide you with Peace of Mind for your upcoming cruise vacation. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:46am

Technophobe... it's Just NY state for NY residents.  Not the entire government.  But while we're on the subject of the Federal Government.... We got some test kits here in NYC but not enough.  Authorities are asking for more and not getting them.   Limited test kits.. now THAT's a government that doesn't have it's priorities straight.  

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 4:56am

I could not agree more!

People first!  Money later - it is only worth persuing for the people it helps.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 6:01am
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 6:06am
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 8:38am

Norwegian just offered the above noted cancellation policy so we can cancel starting March 11 and get a full refund as a credit for a future cruise.  However, the CEO let us know in a personal letter that he and his extended family are all taking a cruise in May to Europe for 10 days on a Norwegian cruise thus demonstrating his confidence in cleanliness.  They have extra medical staff and equipment on board and outlined all their policies.  We have to wait until the 11th anyway so we will see what happens in the meantime.  We are leaning towards going only because we can get it here just as easily.  My husband can work on the boat if we get prolonged.  We will see what happens in the next few days.

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 9:38am

Roni you need to do what is best for your family.  But the CEO will be in the presidential suite on the boat with a private chef, and a butler I would bet.  Some even have their own private pool.  So him taking his family is a WHOLE lot different than you taking your family.  I know this is a hard decision but you need to see the facts not what the CEO who makes money off of you says.

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 2:40pm

Pence in Florida negotiating with cruise CEO's

The question is not who is dumb to take a cruise? Our government is playing us for fools.

Money over lives.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article240958896.html

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 3:07pm

Pence and the cruise industry CEOs can talk all they want about the importance of the American public to "keep on cruising" but the reality is people will vote with their wallets, no government intervention or talking points withstanding. 

The cruise industry is "dead", pardon my pun, until CV-19 is under control, I believe. Their time would be better spent on managing infection control such as mandatory pre-boarding testing, for example, and government bailout...boy, the government sure loves socialism when it comes to big business, don't it!

We'll see disaster after disaster played out otherwise. 

The Diamond Princess, the Grand Princess, The ....., The ....,, pretty soon, everyone will understand it probably isn't a good idea for a while...

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 3:58pm

The governments could rent the ships and use them as "plague ships"  An easy quarantine with water all around.  Fill them up with ultraviolet anti-viral lighting, trained staff and a few sets of hospital equipment.

Oh crap! That would cost taxpayer money.  Forget I said it.

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 7:21am
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 7:27am

Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/03/08/cruise-lines-say-theyll-beef-up-screening-and-other-measures-to-fight-the-coronavirus/

Reads headline, :rollseyes:

reads article

:bangshead:

What part of PEOPLE ARE CONTAGIOUS WHEN THEY HAVE NO SYMPTOMS are they not getting???  How stupid do they think people are???   ... ... oh, wait.  :sigh:

(since the emoticons never show up as anything other than dots, I'm going back to old old style of expressions) 

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 7:31am

Well that is a dumb response by the administration!  No one over the age of 60 should be on a ship!  Sorry the CEOs were worried about their pocket books.  It is now travel at your own risk and yes certain people out of over 60 will be fine but others will help fill hospitals on the coasts when they come off very ill.  

The administration is not paying attention to Italy!!!

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 7:34am

Just this morning I read two things regarding cruises - The latest case in Fairfax, Va (the 2nd case in VA) was on a Nile River Cruise where many folks now are testing positive for this virus.

And- the reasoning behind why so many folks were infected on the Diamond Princess while it was "quarantined" was that the crew were serving the passengers meals on metal trays and the metal trays were transferring the virus.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 8:17am

All I can say about that bad information is... well that's one way to cut medicaid/medicare and social security... 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic