Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

CV "Cure" ? - From the "olden days"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CV "Cure" ? - From the "olden days"
    Posted: March 19 2020 at 7:09am

ON THE CORONA VIRUS - So, here goes. I am not a medical MD, nor a researcher, nor anymore, a person in health care. But, so what ? Research came out about 5 or 6 years ago that the vast majority of viruses DIE at 90+ degrees F. I believe this to be FACT, and I personally have tested it with my own colds/viruses. How ? When I am sick I simply raise my "temperature" to past 90 degrees. Now, you may counter with "But my temperature is 103, how can the virus survive that" ? As I am an engineer in profession, before I went into the health field, I understand the thermodynamics of COLD air, as in the winter, even in our houses, passing over the surfaces that viruses (think "respiratory infections") inhabit. So, what is the effect of 65 to 70 degree air passing over the surface of lung, bronchial tube, and sinuses. If you have even a mild perception of science, and a phenomenon called "atempering", which describes the mixing of hot and cold "fluids", you could project that the surface of those body parts are WAY BELOW what is needed to kill the virus. Enter the "olden times" treatment for bad colds. Steam from the tea kettle. With towel over head and over the spout and heat turned down to the point of just a little steam coming out, breath in the 100 degree plus steam. Be careful not to burn your sinuses, as there are some out there that over do it. You don't need much heat, just enough to raise your exposed airways above 90 degrees. For more than 15 minutes, at least. Wet heat, in the form of steam, is the best conductor of heat energy, but even dry air at high temperatures (think Scandinavian saunas, as they get very, very few flues who practice this daily) will work. PS - I have tried to get the data on CV kill temperature for some verification, but the sources appear to be "clogged" with other concerns. And ... this appears to be "too simple" for consideration.

Pass it on as a suggestion to try if you start coming down with something, what will it hurt ?

Addendum :  While what I wrote is un-clear, I am not advocating raising my (or your) body temperature to 40 C or near.  Breathing steam for 15 minutes or so, even at 120 F, will not raise your body temperature past tolerable.  The "trick" is to just raise the temperature of the virus's environment, your respiratory system, above the level it can tolerate.  Believe me it works for regular colds/flu, and as to whether or not it will work for CV ... who knows

Oldclimber
AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:13am

Well if done in conjunction with a shot or two of whiskey it certainly couldn't hurt to try.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:42am

I think you're essentially correct.

I'm largely Finnish by heritage. . What are the Finns famous for? Saunas. That, and really cold, long, dark winters, ideal for colds and flus, since nasal passages can get pretty cold. (Also, the Finns basically invented 'social distancing' as a matter of fact. An outgoing Finn is someone who looks at your shoes. ;) 

Anyway, research has definitively proven sauna use is correlated with decreased cold/flu incidence. 

Fortunately, I have a sauna available. Thanks for the reminder. A twice-daily sauna could be a great thing. I'll skip the jump in the ice-cold lake afterwards, though. 

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 11:54am

And saunas were the place for women to give birth (but not when it was heated up).  They knew it was safer long before germ theory came along.  

Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 2:30pm

When you are sick you produce a cytokine called  IL-6 which travels to the hypothalamus to increase your temperature,.  It gets the energy to do this by making you slow and sleepy so you feel ill. 

High temperature do 2 main things

1) kill viruses and certain bacteria.

2) Makes the immune cells work more effectively.

We used to watch macrophages (innate immune cells) be quite sluggish but when you turn the heat up they zipped about and increased their phagocytosis (eating pathogens) ability.

Problem is when you raise your temp through infection the normal temp regulating system is turned off, so if you let yourself get too hot you can get really ill. The brake is off

In old days men used to go in super saunas to try to cure themselves of syphilis but some ended up fatally dehydrated.

Love hearing about the engineering.  Wish I could have been an engineer.

Hz x

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 2:45pm

As covid-19 dies quite quickly at 40*C and still dies, albeit not quite so fast at temperatures above 37*C.  The old system of letting the fever run its course seems to have some merit.

I would tend to allow temperatures up to 39.5 before using paracetamol/acetaminophen.  This carries a small risk, as above 40*C the body risks febrile convulsions. (Although they don't usually appear until 41*C and above)  There are no easy treatments for this bug, so this might be an easier tightrope to walk for the non-medically trained.  Complicated drug regimens with blood analysis are hard at home, but an ice bath to quickly drop temperature can be easily obtained in most places if the temperature suddenly spikes.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 2:52pm

Yes  let's burn the bugger..scorch it's sorry arse......sorry pressure getting to me.

Hz x

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 3:09pm

For us F people that is 40 C is 104 degrees temp.   37C is 98.6 degrees

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

As covid-19 dies quite quickly at 40*C and still dies, albeit not quite so fast at temperatures above 37*C.  The old system of letting the fever run its course seems to have some merit.

I would tend to allow temperatures up to 39.5 before using paracetamol/acetaminophen.  This carries a small risk, as above 40*C the body risks febrile convulsions. (Although they don't usually appear until 41*C and above)  There are no easy treatments for this bug, so this might be an easier tightrope to walk for the non-medically trained.  Complicated drug regimens with blood analysis are hard at home, but an ice bath to quickly drop temperature can be easily obtained in most places if the temperature suddenly spikes.

Oldclimber View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 3:58pm

While what I wrote is un-clear, I am not advocating raising my body temperature to 40 C or near.  Breathing steam for 15 minutes or so, even at 120 F, will not raise your body temperature past tolerable.  The "trick" is to just raise the temperature of the virus's environment, your respiratory system, above the level it can tolerate.  Believe me it works for regular colds/flu, and as to whether or not it will work for CV ... who knows.

Oldclimber
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 5:10pm

It appears the virus also does not like damp.  Your treatment as well perhaps.  They are not mutually exclusive.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Oldclimber View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 9:04am

I have added an addendum to my original, as I interpreted your comment as a reaction to my unclear language.

Oldclimber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic