Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What did you not see coming?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you not see coming?
    Posted: March 24 2020 at 3:37am

I am disheartened by the political game of chicken being played, the almost near absence of pride and confidence of once patriotic Americans who now scurry and hide....those who proclaim to be defenders, but now who look to weaken our republic.

All of this because of politics....so shameful.

Our local radio station is now playing the national anthem EVERY day at noon......I think of these things after listening to our anthem, and it makes me cry to know there are people here, in the media, who are taking over our politics who seek to destroy America....but hide behind the protection our great flag gives them while trying to destroy our country.

This is what I was not prepared for.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 2:48am

I did not foresee the sheer incompetence of the US government's response on all levels (CDC, administration, Congress, etc.).  

We just had one recent pandemic (swine flu, 2009) and a near-pandemic of a very similar pathogen (SARS, 2003), and the CDC acts like a bunch of bumbling idiots.  

Also, in the past, the CIA had assets to look for emerging disease outbreaks, apparently these groups were broken up by Trump at Bolton's urging.  

Now we have THIS:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/trumps-push-to-shorten-the-coronavirus-shutdown-proves-the-captain-is-flying-blind

CRS, DrPH
interwebber View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote interwebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:18am

Governments abandoning the working class to make sure the wealthy and famous are ok.. Just kidding. History should tell us this always happens! 

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:10am

The volume of ugliness and greed of many people. I thought maybe we would pull together for the sake of everyone. What I see is many people whinging, lacking in moral fibre. Of course, many other true hero s.

Location - Rural location in Hampshire, England
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 9:20pm

I agree!

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 9:08pm

I knew that the grocery stores would be cleared out in a pandemic; I was surprised at how suddenly it started and how quickly the shelves cleaned off once it did.

Definitely made me grateful for my preps! 

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 6:08pm

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

Forgot to get a haircut.

Ayup.  

I also underestimated cravings for fresh fruit and veg!  

AndyP View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 5:13pm

Should have bought more frozen food to fill my chest freezer. Didn't anticipate not being able to quarantine frozen food. 

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 3:15pm

I am going to have to trim my dog's nails too. They were trimmed but she grows them fast.  Ugh!

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by Little House Little House wrote:

The thing that I missed is that my kids are not kids anymore.  When it comes to cooking, and eating, they are used to just making snacks and deserts whenever they want.  But this means that no one knows just how much food is being used.  More than once in the last couple of weeks, I have gone to get some food item only to find that someone used it up.  We are working through it, but I hate that they have to lose a bit of independence so that I can keep up with what we have. 

They are in your house...you make the rules.  No food unless you know what they are taking this may have to last another month or two.  Any like you said you went to get something and it was gone!  They may be grown but they need to know this is a survival situation...have a family meeting an lay the law down.  That I why I am glad my son is going to SIP on his own with his girlfriend!

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 3:03pm

I was surprised by the toilet paper thing!  I am also shocked at how long the groceries have stayed limited.

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 3:02pm

Originally posted by ksc ksc wrote:

Forgot to get a haircut.

Omg, me too!  I wanted to have my loooonnnggg ponytail cut off and to get a short cuts doo.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 2:53pm

Not enough Dog food stored.  Managing more - but its gotten expensive!

I have three dogs - two large!

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 2:51pm

The thing that I missed is that my kids are not kids anymore.  When it comes to cooking, and eating, they are used to just making snacks and deserts whenever they want.  But this means that no one knows just how much food is being used.  More than once in the last couple of weeks, I have gone to get some food item only to find that someone used it up.  We are working through it, but I hate that they have to lose a bit of independence so that I can keep up with what we have. 

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 2:43pm

I forgot to get the dog’s nails trimmed.

Gdeb View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 2:30pm

I missed getting enough cleaning supplies and the toilet paper fights have amazed me!!!

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 1:55pm

Forgot to get a haircut.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 1:41pm

Many of us have prepped for something like this for years.  I am sure that most of us missed something.  What has surprised you so far?  What did you ‘know’ would happen but were surprised by the intensity of emotion when it did happen?  What did you miss altogether?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic