Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Is this overblown?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 7:09am
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 7:13am

Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, April 18 (HealthDay News) -- A treatment for a new coronavirus that has caused 11 deaths, mostly in the Middle East, shows promise in early tests, U.S. government researchers report.

The investigators discovered that a combination of two antiviral drugs -- ribavirin and interferon-alpha 2b -- can stop the so-called nCoV coronavirus from multiplying in laboratory-grown cells. While the results suggest that this drug combination could be used to treat patients infected with nCoV, more research is needed to confirm these early findings.

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 7:18am
mwbab View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mwbab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:20am

I think  some are afraid this could lead to another great recession/depression. Then what would happen to many families? Would folks die as a result of that?   Many people live paycheck to pay check and if they don't work they don't eat.  Many have been laid off already. How will they feed their families they cant SIP if there is no food in the house because they are out of work.. From retail to delivery drivers to medical providers they put their lives at risk. they work so others can  have supplies or restaurant meals delivered to their homes, shop for necessities food meds, etc..  Not everyone has the luxury of SIP or jobs that allow, but the more that can SIP does help to slow covid 19 down to help alleviate overburdening the hospitals and medical staff.  Be safe if you have a job that requires you to be out. Thanks to all the medical staff, first responders, retail workers, all that are required to still work for all you do!

schools are out the remainder of the academic year where I live. so why would we not all be taking tight measures at least that long as well?

mwbab View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwbab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:24am
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:29am

I think the President is correct give it until Easter to keep people home they let the younger people go back to work with some restrictions on gathering places and businesses one rotations of some kind to keep people at a distance.  Old people and people with medical problems isolate.  That is what I am planning on until August.  Old folks home care takers use PPE to keep the old people well.  This can be done I thing by Easter too.  I am willing at 70 to stay home for the youth to go back to work!

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:54am

Yes, I think that is what Trump is hearing from the over 70 generations. You are an amazing loving group or generation that are no foreigner to hardship and sacrifice. I have lost my own parents but my 86 year young mother in law is still with us and she thinks like you too. I hope the people in power here this generation and listen

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 11:59am

Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

I predict that at the end of the 15 days of restrictions he is going to tell the governors that restrictions stay in place for 60 and up and or persons of all ages with health issues and lift it for everyone else. This will be based on studies in NYC of under fire trials of treatments that work to treat anyone with health issues else safely We should know in another week if hyrdroxychlorquine and z pacs are viable treatment options

Do you honestly believe that after Fauci negated what Trump said, that Cuomo will use New Yorkers as guinea pigs in a wide-spread trials because Trump asked him to?  

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:06pm

He said he was doing just that. See his speech Monday about middle. De Pleosio asked FDA to make ot available to NYC woth the caveat that patients sign waivers 

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:08pm
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:09pm

New York coronavirus doctors will start using Trump-backed anti-malaria drug TOMORROW LATEST Danielle Cinone 23 Mar 2020, 17:27Updated: 23 Mar 2020,

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 12:58pm

Well if it is Trump backed it will work!  LOL!   There are a lot of Doc's who think it will work too or they would not be using it!

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:13pm

Turbo - glad your tests for COVID-19 was negative and you didn't have it.   I suppose it was good practice, lol

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:15pm

Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Turbo - glad your tests for COVID-19 was negative and you didn't have it.   I suppose it was good practice, lol

I kinda wish I had. 

Would have gotten it out of the way. 

Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:22pm

Literally all experts, and including those on Fox news,  said Trump saying all will be back to normal by Easter  - WON"T HAPPEN. 

Trump is clearly a nutjub with his own agenda, which of course is the stock market.  

I could just picture Fauci, the WHO, and all experts, scratching their heads and thinking, is Trump for real on this one?  lol 

Trump needs the stock market bad as it WAS his only accomplishment, and he will say or do anything for it, and he really doesn't give a crap about anyone.  He's just a wacko conman.  

6 BK's in his personal life, the first Prez to ever be impeached in first term,  and lies and misleads basically on a daily basis.   

Remember last month when he said it was all a media hoax by the Dems? lol   

The guy is a plain idiot, and always with an agenda.  No wonder all of his generals quit.  

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:23pm

Which would be nice; assuming it did not get you out of the way too.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:31pm

Originally posted by SheriAnn SheriAnn wrote:

I agree with these sentiments completely. I am quite discouraged at the paranoia that some are exhibiting any time anyone says anything critical of the Trump administration. I find myself checking in less and less because there aren’t as many thoughtful posts or responses anymore. At the beginning of all of this I learned a lot from on here. And I now don’t even want to post anything because I am scared of getting yelled at for being critical of Trump or what I do post lately gets buried and no one responds. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I totally agree with you SheriAnn. I don't check as often as I used to, and I also don't read all the posts, I skim over them. So many people on here are using their love of Trump as an excuse to take offence or their dislike of him as an excuse to shout. I make a reasonable comment and no one sees it or comments on it or continues the discussion, they get right back on to discussing Trump (either for or against him) and America. As a Kiwi I'm starting to feel completely out of place here as this site has become all about America and how great it is. I feel sometimes like I'm reading lines from a movie script where America ultimately saves the rest of world. 

I suspect it is fear that is making people over sensitive or desperate to believe that America can save them all (and everyone else) and people's ability for rational and thoughtful discussion seems to have abandoned them. There's an awful lot of big talk and bravado on here these days and it is, in the whole, misplaced and mistimed. All this "they can prise it from my cold dead hands" rubbish is ridiculous. 

Right now, New Zealand is leading the charge on what a government can do to try and stop this disease but the rest of the world isn't interested or doesn't care. Today our entire country starts a four week lockdown. No schools, no work, no shopping - except supermarkets and pharmacies, no gyms, no public interaction. No inter island travel, no flights, no leaving the country, no coming in. We've all got to stay at home and only mix with the people we live with. And we're being paid to do this. It's radical, it's unprecedented and we hope it'll work. The idea is that in the next four weeks anyone with the virus will recover at home or in hospital if they need to, and in four weeks time we'll see our numbers dropping because there will have been no disease spread. 

I appreciate that the majority of people on this site are Americans but there are other countries out there too.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
SheriAnn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SheriAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:44pm

It’s great that NZ is taking those radical steps! Those unprecedented changes are what will help stop this. I am very disappointed that in the US we are using people as political pawns and disregarding life. It breaks my heart. I wanted to weep when I saw what the Lt Gov in Texas was saying. 

"No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?' And if that is the exchange, I'm all in,"

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 1:54pm

There's a political gamble taking place in the US. There will undoubtedly be many deaths there and the gamble is how will the surviving voters react: either they will vote against Trump because they are outraged and heartbroken to have lost their parents and grandparents, or by the time the election comes round they will have reconciled themselves to their losses and be looking forward to any inheritance that this disease has freed up for them. Also the economy will undoubtedly benefit from losing a good proportion of it's elderly people. Afterall, the elderly don't work, they don't contribute to the economy very much and they don't consume very much either. Reducing this demographic will free up money, savings, and housing stock, plus it will ease pressure on health services and pension funds. 

The unpalatable truth is that the majority of the population of the Western world are increasing disenfranchised from the societies they live in and this is why we have seen such a rise in populism and radical voting (think Brexit and Trump). I suspect that Trump's gamble will pay off. By the time the people vote, the people will have come to terms with their losses and be celebrating their gains. Afterall, it's better if Uncle Bob's money comes to them rather than paying a retirement home isn't it?

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 2:42pm

KiwiMum,      I find your post tasteless and offensive. Lucky you that your government is taking every measure to protect everyone. I have a 92  yr old father that has been in isolation for three weeks, With this easing of restrictions I say to myself is this life going forward where the elderly will be marginalized to live a empty existence?  No going out without fear of contracting a deadly virus so others can enjoy life,spreading this so far and wide possibly becoming more virulent, making a vaccine will be near impossible. I am also high risk group,I am responsible for his well being,so this will also be my life,never knowing if I pick it up,afraid of passing it to my father,always starting a two week countdown everytime I go out.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 2:57pm

Trump in the briefing today said that the flu is far worse, and more people die in car accdients.   

Clear White House message - is that the flu is worse and this is overblown. 

Not sure what to think.  Is Trump correct, and yes he is major conman lol, but is he doing a con or is thing basically over as he claims?  Would love for this to be over as he is saying. 

Any thoughts?

Sure.  This is what I think. 

a)  We have a longtime medical understanding of influenza, and its causative virus, orthomixoviridae.  Even if a new strain like H5N1 or N7N9 emerged, we would have some tools to fight it including proven and safe antivirals (Tamiflu, Relenza etc.), knowledge of vaccine production, and familiarity with flu transmission patters.  

b)  Unchaining the SARS-CoV2 virus in the USA will open the gates to hell.  It is a new virus that we have no experience with, and we don't know how many mutations it may undergo during unrestrained transmissions.  

Back in early Feb, I took pencil to paper to see how many might die.  These are my calculations:

US population is presently about 331 million souls. if about 1/3 of us are at highest risk

for serious illness, the numerator is 100 million. CFR may be 2%, so 2 million might

die from this one in the US. I think my math is correct.

I sent that to my MD contacts with the FBI, and they said it sounded right.  Later on, the Brits did          their model and said: 

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

On page 7 of 20, it says:  

"In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality."

c)  Keep in mind, unrestrained COVID-19 would cause additional mortalities.  Hospitals would be clogged with dying corona-virus patients, so people with heart attacks etc. would be delayed from getting care.   What is happening in Italy would happen in the US, but worse, as Italy actually has more hospital beds than the US. 

Major employers will not buy into Trump's "command" to restart the economy.  We are learning to work at home, and new tools like ZOOM are helping us to remain connected and efficient.  This pandemic might spell the end of the office building and commuting, much like the Dot Com era spelled the death of the brick & mortar department store. 

As my hero, Ronald Reagan, used to intone when times got tough...."Stay the course." 

CRS, DrPH
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 3:02pm

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

There's a political gamble taking place in the US. There will undoubtedly be many deaths there and the gamble is how will the surviving voters react: either they will vote against Trump because they are outraged and heartbroken to have lost their parents and grandparents, or by the time the election comes round they will have reconciled themselves to their losses and be looking forward to any inheritance that this disease has freed up for them. Also the economy will undoubtedly benefit from losing a good proportion of it's elderly people. Afterall, the elderly don't work, they don't contribute to the economy very much and they don't consume very much either. Reducing this demographic will free up money, savings, and housing stock, plus it will ease pressure on health services and pension funds. 

The unpalatable truth is that the majority of the population of the Western world are increasing disenfranchised from the societies they live in and this is why we have seen such a rise in populism and radical voting (think Brexit and Trump). I suspect that Trump's gamble will pay off. By the time the people vote, the people will have come to terms with their losses and be celebrating their gains. Afterall, it's better if Uncle Bob's money comes to them rather than paying a retirement home isn't it?

Interesting analysis!  Sadly, young people will also be mowed down by the virus....we are seeing this now.  The Chinese experience didn't detect this, but perhaps the Western habits of smoking, drinking, drug use, vaping etc. among our youth is leaving them more vulnerable. 

American adults of all ages — not just those in their 70s, 80s and 90s — are being seriously sickened by the coronavirus, according to a report on nearly 2,500 of the first recorded cases in the United States.

The report, issued Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that — as in other countries — the oldest patients had the greatest likelihood of dying and of being hospitalized. But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported.

I think Trump's gamble is destined to fail, horribly.  When babies have to be born at home because US hospitals are full of dying COVID-19 patients, the economic gamble will not look so endearing.  Corporations won't buy into Trump's plan, it is only rich investors who are pushing him.  

Even Boris Johnson looks supremely competent to Donald Trump.  Amazing.  

CRS, DrPH
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 3:03pm

That was last Monday.  After NY got shorted on Trump's promise of 4000 ventilators... don't hold your breath.  

Besides.. after what happened in Arizona, they'd be hard pressed to get the releases from patients and their families.  

JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 3:27pm

Let’s all quit spreading assumptions. Trump did not say he was going to open it back up, he said he hoped we could. Easter is still longer than the 15 days they originally announced. I think everyone here knows that his job is to calm the fear, protect the stock market and provide a positive outlook instead of doom and gloom. I hope he goes by what the data is telling them then. He may also leave it to the state and locals to decide. If Trump goes against the recommendations of the experts, you know we will hear about it. 

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:11pm

Trump can say whatever he wants to give people hope. Hope isn't a bad thing.  When one goes in with incurable cancer, they don't say, "you gonna die"  they offer up hope.  WE ALL KNOW that things will get terribly worse and in a week or Trump so will come back and have to tell us the bad news.  Especially since more people in government will get sick and likely see deaths.  Then the shit gets real for all of them and they stop making assumptions.  Of course, hoping none of this happens.  i wouldn't mind a summer at the pool, but you won't catch me at a public gathering in the next 30 days!!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
ClapBack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ClapBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:14pm

FluMom

I've been reading here for a long time and I was compelled to register because I've never read posts that infuriated me more.

You are a teacher. Well, I'm a substitute teacher. Did you know that we are ineligible for unemployment during this crisis because they are considering the summer quarter? 

But here's the thing. You want to enjoy SIP while people like me - younger people with no medical problems and who may or may not have relatives with health problems that they provide primary care for - go and fill in for people like you so you can avoid all risk and SIP.

You want this when 46 percent of people in the United States who fall seriously ill are younger, healthy people. And why do you want this? You want it so you can have and eat  3 cakes - 

1) save the legacy of a POTUS who purposefully acted to make our current situation worse

2) Avoid all your personal exposure and risk while advocating for others to take your risk

3) Do the above 2 while saving your pension.( and that being one of your biggest motivations isn't lost on anyone here )

Your selfishness is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

If you want to bean count lives, put yours in the pot too

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:34pm

Clapback you should be censured You are so off base with regards to flumom’s post. You are so rude and obviously have no clue of what flumom has on her plate at home. Being s 22 year veteran of teaching I love my subs and they are previous to the school district We are in. Just like other small business owners our board of Supervisors voted to keep them on the pay role and allow them to help keep our kids fed by paying them to man the food distributed at 90 % of our schools. Yes we have that many poor kids that count on our foods. Too bad you live in a county that isn’t that progressive. If you so resentful of our pensions and our teaching degrees why don’t you go back to school and get certified yourself!! I did reinvent myself at 32 when I had 3 babies mouths to feed due to an ill husband. Stop using this forum to vent your clearly misplaced anger

ClapBack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ClapBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:37pm

Clapback you should be censured You are so off base with regards to flumom’s post. You are so rude and obviously have no clue of what flumom has on her plate at home. Being s 22 year veteran of teaching I love my subs and they are previous to the school district We are in. Just like other small business owners our board of Supervisors voted to keep them on the pay role and allow them to help keep our kids fed by paying them to man the food distributed at 90 % of our schools. Yes we have that many poor kids that count on our foods. Too bad you live in a county that isn’t that progressive. If you so resentful of our pensions and our teaching degrees why don’t you go back to school and get certified yourself!! I did reinvent myself at 32 when I had 3 babies mouths to feed due to an ill husband. Stop using this forum to vent your clearly misplaced anger

I'm not angry. I'm calling what I'm seeing.

She writes her posts, right? If she is able to write what are clearly self serving posts then the response to those posts shouldn't be silenced.

She put it out there. Not me

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:46pm

Too bad you live in a county that isn’t that progressive.

You both live in America.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
ClapBack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClapBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:51pm

Usk,

Why are you assuming I have a lessor education and that I want to teach full-time? 

Both of your assumptions - assumptions you asserted with nothing to base your assumptions on and then used to strawman me in your attempt to shame me for posting - are wrong.

I sub because I enjoy being around the young. I don't need the income. I have several published books that I do very well with. Books that are selling even more copies now.

I mentioned the unemployment issue because most subs aren't in my situation and - crazy me - thought if teachers  knew, they might care and advocate for their subs. Your response solved that one for me though.

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 4:55pm

xxx

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:14pm

Wow Clapback and Tabatha, ya’ll are really off base here. I’ve been lurking on here for years and I’ve learned a lot from Flu Moms posts. I never took her posts as being selffish or mean. This is a forum for information on a pandemic, not a place to personally attack someone. I think you both should apologize to Flu Mom.

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:29pm

Techno. I did mean county because our state as a commonwealth
has a board of elected supervisors who direct the school board and handle money allocations   We teachers went to bat for all our staff and subs who would not necessarily be covered during this out of school tell June. Since we needed so much help with feeding kids we offered jobs to all of them. Even our bus drivers pick up and bring kids to get food and then take them home.  Us teachers had 19 snow days and will be excepted to teach online for the rest of the school year.  We are also expected to write and create online lessons and tests

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:33pm

You are all wrong I have lost a child and have a 26 year old who could die. My son is today working and being exposed...we will all be exposed to this...what you think by staying inside for 4 months you will not get this.  We will all get this it is dependent when we get this if hospitals are full or not if there are vents for you to use.  I am not a cranky old lady.  There are a lot of people who do not want to SIP think it is crazy.  I have friends my age that are going out every day to the grocery store thinking we are still normal.  WE ARE NOT NORMAL.  I Think they are NUTS going out like things are normal.

I am sorry you do not get unemployment but that is your situation don't take your frustration out on me because you lead your life like you want to.  I am not disgusting.  I am just telling you that this SIP will end sooner or later and I hope that when that happens that the hospitals are not full.  But all of that is not looking too good.  

If you do not want to work I am saying don't go to work it is your choice.  If you can't stop work like my son then you have to go to work!   I am sorry but my family has the same chance as you to get the virus.  If you young people had to live though the 1918 Spanish Flu there would be no help at all.  You are most likely younger than I am so if a vent is needed you will get it not me so I have less chance to survive this. 

I am not a teacher I am support at a school.    I am just saying if you want to work people should work after SIP is over but if you don't want to work then don't.  But if things are not better by Easter this may be a moot point they may extend the SIP.  

I am not a mean old crank, I have prepped for 14 years and my son could die just like you. He could come stay with me but is living his life...like you should live your own and make your decisions.  Like my Mama says,"Worry about what you have not what other people have."  You guys are whining because things are not like they have been for years...life is going to change and change drastically, not only deaths but financially, ability to have a house, ability to save for the future you have to sit down and figure out what you want to do in this crisis.

But calling me names may make you feel better but you need to pull yourselves up by the boot straps and figure out what you need to do for your family and yourself.  No one can do that but YOU!  What I say applies only to what I think take it or leave it,  I am not above anyone, I have just made decisions how I want to live during this time.  You don't know me or what I have been through it may have been just as bad as these times.  So grow up and get going on your life, make decisions!  Oh, I also have a 97 yr old mother with a stupid sister who thinks SIP means nothing so they are both at risk 800 miles away from me.

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

KiwiMum,      I find your post tasteless and offensive. Lucky you that your government is taking every measure to protect everyone. I have a 92  yr old father that has been in isolation for three weeks, With this easing of restrictions I say to myself is this life going forward where the elderly will be marginalized to live a empty existence?  No going out without fear of contracting a deadly virus so others can enjoy life,spreading this so far and wide possibly becoming more virulent, making a vaccine will be near impossible. I am also high risk group,I am responsible for his well being,so this will also be my life,never knowing if I pick it up,afraid of passing it to my father,always starting a two week countdown everytime I go out.

Pixie get over yourself. I wasn't expressing my own personal opinion but a point of view. I also have an elderly parent about whom I'm very worried. As tasteless as both you and I find the idea of economics being placed over human life, it's happening, all over the world, right now. 

This is exactly what I was talking about a few posts earlier - people taking offense where none is intended and being overly sensitive. I find your comment to me to be offensive. What is this site becoming? One where we all have to agree and walk about on eggshells for fear of upsetting some overly sensitive person who is looking for any reason to become upset and throw their toys out of the pram. I've been on this site for years and it's ticked along nicely and now it's morphed into some sort of "America is great" sycophantic fan club. 

Where has the discussion gone? Where has the voice of reason gone? Has everyone's head exploded???????????

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:42pm

Thanks, KiWi.  They are upset because life is going to change and that is hard on some of the younger generations.  

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:44pm

Usk, you're out of order censoring Clapback. He/She has every right to express an opinion on here. They may be a new member but so are you. Clapback raises some interesting points from the view of a younger person - and let's face it, there are plenty of older people on here. 

Rather than see this post as a subjective attack, why don't we try and view it objectively and start a discussion from which we all might learn something.

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:49pm

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Thanks, KiWi.  They are upset because life is going to change and that is hard on some of the younger generations.  

There seem to be very few voices of reason left on here! We need to move back to the good discussions that we all used to have where we had an opportunity to learn from each other rather than attack each other. It's stressful enough right now without members here turning on one another. I've noticed that we're less and less from the old timers on here, and more and more from new members trying to throw their weight and often newly formed opinions around. It's frustrating and infuriating. It's verging on time wasting.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 5:55pm

Agreed!

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 9:05pm

Literally all experts, and including those on Fox news,  said Trump saying all will be back to normal by Easter  - WON"T HAPPEN. 

Trump is clearly a nutjub with his own agenda, which of course is the stock market.  

I could just picture Fauci, the WHO, and all experts, scratching their heads and thinking, is Trump for real on this one?  lol 

Trump needs the stock market bad as it WAS his only accomplishment, and he will say or do anything for it, and he really doesn't give a crap about anyone.  He's just a wacko conman.  

6 BK's in his personal life, the first Prez to ever be impeached in first term,  and lies and misleads basically on a daily basis.   

Remember last month when he said it was all a media hoax by the Dems? lol   

The guy is a plain idiot, and always with an agenda.  No wonder all of his generals quit.  

I agree with this, albert.  Don't know what happened to you to make you think that this was over blown.    Clearly, trump is a moron who lies about every thing .  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 9:38pm

I don't suppose any of you Yanks have watched our prime minister giving his covid19 briefs,

There is a vast differenence how both leaders are addressing this, 

I Give out PM 10 out of 10 and our opposition  party  10 out of 10 for backing PM

Aussies are pulling together, everyone is heeding the goverments advice,

Make me very Proud of my Fellow AUSSIES

And of Our Prime Minister ,

whose party I never vote for ,but at this time it's time for all to pull together,

We have been told that this is here for months....

That's the truth 

(I deleted  the end of this post,).......

Trying to stop the hurt....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
ClapBack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ClapBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 9:52pm

Continues to imply the young of the society are the ones who need to saddle up, bury our peers, and welcome our losses as opportunity cost while the old people sit at home avoiding risk, watching Netflix, and enjoying the benefits of an economy coming back that's driven by the young dying.

And you have the nerve to say, "Ohh, they are just upset because times might be tough for them".

Not going to happen.

Get off the couch with us and toss your beans into the jar. Ohh, does the thought of the young requiring the old to roll the risk dice instead of laying on the couch until all is clear "upset" you?

Has there ever been a generation like the Boomers who, rather than wanting the young to live, are willing to toss the young into a pandemic  flooded medical system so they don't lose their investments?

These posters try to imply the young in this situation are the entitled ones. Yet they are advocating for the death of the young for the economic benefit of the old. ( Yes, it is the benefits of the old. The young have many years to invest. The old don't. These are your market losses - not ours - and you are so angst to take them that you'll toss the young into a Darwin herd immunity situation with a novel virus.

Talk about entitlement...

interwebber View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interwebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 10:04pm

Originally posted by ClapBack ClapBack wrote:

Continues to imply the young of the society are the ones who need to saddle up, bury our peers, and welcome our losses as opportunity cost while the old people sit at home avoiding risk, watching Netflix, and enjoying the benefits of an economy coming back that's driven by the young dying.

Not going to happen.

Get off the couch with us and toss your beans into the jar. 

Has there ever been a generation like the Boomers who, rather than wanting the young to live, are willing to toss the young into a pandemic  flooded medical system so they don't lose their investments?

Talk about entitlement...

They took care of us. Time for us to take care of them. No offense, but you sound like someone with an inheritance coming. As a responsible X-gener, I will protect my parents at all costs from this thing. 

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!
ClapBack View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClapBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 10:13pm

Inter

I'd agree if this was about saving their lives for them.

But it isn't about their lives for them.

Nope,. Read what they write. They don't write about being motivated by that. They write motivations that concern a science denying president's legacy, the market, and the economy. 

For them, it's all about saving their investments and how they are entitled to the young's last breath to save their investments.

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2020 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by ME163 ME163 wrote:

Clearly, trump is a moron who lies about every thing .  

I just love the word moron. I should use it more.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic