Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If You Have a Sewing Machine - Make & Donate Masks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

If You Have a Sewing Machine - Make & Donate Masks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If You Have a Sewing Machine - Make & Donate Masks
    Posted: March 29 2020 at 11:18am

Everyone in the US has heard about the ppe shortages and what is being done to replenish the supply (please no political replies to this).  My daughter works in a busy ED and each person has to use a single mask per shift. The N95 is only to be worn with confirmed/presumed positive cases.  They have to share a gown. This worries me beyond words. We need our healthcare workers to be healthy to care for the ill.  

If you have a sewing machine, you can make and donate masks to your local hospital. There are groups collecting and providing these - so you do not have to worry about walking in to a hospital with the masks.  In some cases the healthcare workers are wearing homemade masks on top of their ppe.  In other cases, I've heard that the homemade masks are being used for patients (leaving the true masks for the workers).  If you have a Joann's store near you, they will bring free fabric to your car - you just need to call when you get in their parking lot. 

This post has links to other instructions and videos on how to make the masks.  I've made a few of the ones that can be worn over an N95, and today I'm making some of the others.  I'm praying over each one as I make it. 

https://blog.rileyblakedesigns.com/riley-blake-face-mask-drive-tutorials/

pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 11:23am

Just regular cloth?

or is there a special one?

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 1:02pm

For me, finding the elastic has been the problem and not every Joann is participating (at least mine claimed it wasn't the time. Maybe it's changed. ) Some have said cotton, some have said fabric doesn't matter, but some fabrics are a lot more breathable than others. I'm not entirely sure.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 5:28pm

Any cotton cloth will work. I’ve raided my mama’s stash of fabric.  I read where  they want two different fabrics - so the user knows which side to keep out. I have made some using ties instead of elastics. To make the ties, cut a strip of fabric 2” wide and then fold and press the strip in half and then tuck the outer edges in to the center and press again. You end up with a strip that is 1/2 in wide. Just stitch all the way down the strips and tuck the ends. They show how to do it in one of the videos in that link I posted.

LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 5:30pm

The Joint Commission has approved the use of these hand made masks when other PPE is not available

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 9:11pm

Ooh, good to know. I have plenty of cotton solids and printed cotton fabrics from being both a cosplayer and crafter. Thanks, LC :)

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 5:38pm

My wife is a seamstress and a quilter.  She has made about 30 masks.  She makes them out of a dense fabric and includes a space for inserting part of a heating/air conditioning filter.  We use 3M 2500 level filter material at a minimum.  We buy the air conditioner filters from Lowes, remove the metal screen, and cut the filter fabric into inserts.  Users remove the inserts at the end of the day/episode and launder the masks. 

Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 5:41pm

I made my first one last night.  Have a bunch more to make for work.  We have had some donated, but not enough, and a couple of shifts still need them.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 8:40pm

I have made about 70 masks for a local acute care facility — one of the nurses who lives there works in our neighborhood.

I used elastic until it ran out, and now I’m just making them with top and bottom ties. She said they prefer them that way — it’s easier to wear over their one masks a day they are issued.

I love the idea of praying over each one — just wow! Amazing! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic