Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Masks now should be worn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gdeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masks now should be worn
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 4:08pm
JellyMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JellyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 4:30pm

At the press conference today, Dr. Birx said they are still conflicted on this and may or may not issue a directive to wear masks. She cited they are conflicted in whether wearing a mask would give false sense of protection to those that wear one as they are still touching their faces, eyes, etc. and can still spread the virus.

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 6:30pm

In PA we are being told to wear them!  A little freakin late!!!

Sheep Lady
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 7:17pm

Things are changing fast and we had all better change with it or possibly die or help someone else to die.  If we do not look forward we will be pushed in the wrong way by the recent past.  The only thing that is constant in this world is change.

Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 7:54pm

It's why we have to think for ourselves and not wait to be told what to think.  Decision cycles take too long, and nobody wants to stick their neck out when we need bold decision making.  I took a look at the worldwide situation, and made the decision that a little protection is better than none.  I acquired homemade masks with a filter pocket as a backup for my workplace weeks ago.  Today, my employers publicly requested donations of homemade masks.  I have been quietly handing them out all week.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 8:54pm

Yes, you have to do what you believe is best for your own health.  I have been wearing my masks since March 12.  No one looked twice at me because I have attitude...LOL.   I wear N95 when I go out and will continue to do so.  

I can tell you with a second wave maybe in China I hope they will make kids in school next fall wear cloth masks.  I can tell you everyone would be healthier because they are real germ carriers. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Yes, you have to do what you believe is best for your own health.  I have been wearing my masks since March 12.  No one looked twice at me because I have attitude...LOL.   I wear N95 when I go out and will continue to do so.  

I can tell you with a second wave maybe in China I hope they will make kids in school next fall wear cloth masks.  I can tell you everyone would be healthier because they are real germ carriers. 

I wonder if you'll see a backlash now if you're wearing N95s. In the press conference I saw, Trump was telling people to wear homemade masks and to leave the N95s and surgical masks to the health care professionals. I did hear of a guy who was wearing a homemade cloth mask over the top of his N95 so people wouldn't see it was medical grade. I'm thinking I might do the same here if we get the same directive.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 10:15pm

LOL, I do not plan on going out for at least the next 3 months so no one will be seeing me in an N95.  I only go to the post office an drop my mail into the outside drive up boxes, go to my bank's drive up, and my pharmacy drive up.  I wear gloves when I do all of those but I am in my car and see no one... all are behind glass or no people at all.   So I will not find out what people will say, but if you know me I will put them down before they said too much...LOL.  The people at work are a little afraid of me one calls me Sargent.  I take crap from no one and not because of my age I was like that when I was young...LOL.  But if you could meet my 97 yr old mother you would know why.   She says,  "I meant to raise strong women and I did a good job of it."  My sister is kinda like me too.

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 12:25am

I have a rheumatology appointment that I have to go to and I'll be doing that KiwiMum wearing my cloth mask that I made out of old fabric and seam ripping the elastic out of an old cosplay I made and putting it over my actual mask. All physical therapy appointments are over the phone, or video call, but certain specialized care has to be in person. For me, moreso I don't want to be accused of anything since I'll already be inside the medical office.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Lakeman5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeman5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:25pm

I have only gone into stores twice recently. Both times I wore my n95 masks. No one said anything. Usually I stay home. It works for me because Im a school teacher. Most of the time I pick up groceries from walmart service where they bring it to my car. Then i wash it when I get home. I wish I had prepped better. But I was lax and let supplies dwindle. I have one and a half months supplies in the house. Im building up now but rice and flour are hard to get. I never prepped diet coke cause it has no nutrition. But my wife is addicted so now I order it everytime. There is a two pack limit. Sorry, long winded. But no one will make me feel guilty for having a mask I bought years ago. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

I have a rheumatology appointment that I have to go to and I'll be doing that KiwiMum wearing my cloth mask that I made out of old fabric and seam ripping the elastic out of an old cosplay I made and putting it over my actual mask. All physical therapy appointments are over the phone, or video call, but certain specialized care has to be in person. For me, moreso I don't want to be accused of anything since I'll already be inside the medical office.

I've decided that if we have the same directive given here, I will stitch a homemade cloth mask over the N95 by stitching it on to the N95 elastic strapping (being sure not to put any stitches through the actual N95). That way, all anyone will see will be a cloth mask with two elastic straps, not a cloth mask with 4 straps (two from the N95 and two from the cloth mask). Does that make sense? It'll only take a few minutes to disguise the N95.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic