Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

bioaerosol spread of SARS-CoV2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bioaerosol spread of SARS-CoV2
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 11:33pm

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25769/rapid-expert-consultation-on-the-possibility-of-bioaerosol-spread-of-sars-cov-2-for-the-covid-19-pandemic-april-1-2020

In response to a request from the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine convened a standing committee of experts to help inform OSTP on critical science and policy issues related to emerging infectious diseases and other public health threats. 

The standing committee includes members with expertise in emerging infectious diseases, public health, public health preparedness and response, biological sciences, clinical care and crisis standards of care, risk communication, and regulatory issues. This publication responds to questions concerning the possibility that the SARS-Cov-2 virus could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets.

CRS, DrPH
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:04am

I have been telling my mother I think NYC will get worse as days go on because they are stacked inside those buildings that have air/heat vents that go from apartment to apartment and the virus is going through the ducts.  NYC as all cities will be bad because of the old buildings with vents open to all the apartments.  I may be wrong but I bet I am right!

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 8:28am

No.  It's getting worse here in NYC because by the time we got working test kits it was already in community spread.  Suburban communities on Long Island are now at a higher rate of infection than here in NYC.  So "living on top of each other" just doesn't wash.  I'll be interested what happens with Florida and other states that have taken few if any measures.  It's coming for you.  

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 8:33am

I have the image of Florida as a place lots of retired folk flock to...so would it be true that they have more than the average number of old folks?.....if so they could be in for a lot of trouble.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 8:38am

Florida comes in 5th in demographics for the oldest.  The other four are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and West Virginia.  

After we are on the other side of this, it would be interesting to compare Florida with either Vermont or New Hampshire a higher demographic of oldsters but exercised the Stay at Home order within a day or two after NY did.  

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

Florida comes in 5th in demographics for the oldest.  The other four are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and West Virginia.  

After we are on the other side of this, it would be interesting to compare Florida with either Vermont or New Hampshire a higher demographic of oldsters but exercised the Stay at Home order within a day or two after NY did.  

Excellent point!  Different states have different at-risk populations....NYC has large populations of Hasidic Jews, who notoriously do not obey public health laws!   They tend to insist upon having their huge traditional weddings & celebrations; however, it now seems that they have received the memo:

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-in-america-s-only-orthodox-town-the-coronavirus-brings-unique-problems-1.8710123

CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:53pm

Yes, CRS.  It's a huge problem.  When NYC was in the midst of the Measles epidemic it wasn't until school funding was shut down for schools that didn't observe vaccination rules and reporting that they took notice of any of the public service announcements that were blasted through media.  The response from the Hasidim community was "Why didn't you tell us?"  "Why didn't you come to us".  It isn't just their religious observances that's at issue, its the extreme secular nature of the Hasidim on the whole.  They don't view news on anything outside their community.   

I'd like to add that Williamsburg is here in Brooklyn and not all that far from me and my corner of the world seems to be the main shopping area for Orthodox and Hasidim families.  That being said, I am happy to report Hasidim do seem be staying at home, i.e. away from other communities.  But this religious observance issue is a huge problem for us as they seem unwilling to take a break from their religious observances like everyone else here in NY is doing.  

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:57pm

This will continue for the next 12-18 months, and until the vaccine.   We all know this lol.   Things will not get back to normal for quite awhile (if ever), and at the moment this is the new normal,  although we will adapt in the next several months to get the economy restarted.   I'm afraid "the normal" we all knew will not be possible for a vey long time, if ever.   Best we all swallow this pill down and deal with it.   We will adapt in a few months. 

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 3:42pm

Yes, CRS.  It's a huge problem.  When NYC was in the midst of the Measles epidemic it wasn't until school funding was shut down for schools that didn't observe vaccination rules and reporting that they took notice of any of the public service announcements that were blasted through media.  The response from the Hasidim community was "Why didn't you tell us?"  "Why didn't you come to us".  It isn't just their religious observances that's at issue, its the extreme secular nature of the Hasidim on the whole.  They don't view news on anything outside their community.   

I'd like to add that Williamsburg is here in Brooklyn and not all that far from me and my corner of the world seems to be the main shopping area for Orthodox and Hasidim families.  That being said, I am happy to report Hasidim do seem be staying at home, i.e. away from other communities.  But this religious observance issue is a huge problem for us as they seem unwilling to take a break from their religious observances like everyone else here in NY is doing.  

Thanks for the up-close reporting, WM!!  Being from Chicago, I'm only vaguely with the ultra-orthodox communities of New York & they have long fascinated me....my wife and I have recently watched the excellent Netflix series "Unorthodox," I hadn't heard of Williamsburg before!   I've studied the measles situation, it is a tragic disease for these large, unvaccinated groups.

We have similar problems across the US with Amish, Mennonite and other communities.  In Illinois, we had to learn how to communicate with our Amish citizens about public health... one of my colleagues at Univ of IL was acting IL State Epidemiologist and did fine work in this area (PH messaging to closed communities including Amish).

I'm not hearing much about disease rates in native Indian territories (I live in AZ), but COVID-19 will destroy these tribes....many have diabetes and other conditions that predispose for poor outcome, their hospitals are very basic, and their tribal societies are based upon elder leadership and oral history, much like the Hasidic Jews and Amish.  A very cruel disease on many levels.  

CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 4:02pm

CRS, it's funny you and I should discuss this today.  On the 6pm news it was announced that Williamsburg is going into "containment".   Subway and bus service will be instructed not to make stops.  
I think when we are on the other end of this thing, there's going to be lots of studies on this community and others you mention.  Hopefully we'll learn something for the next one.  And, like you, I believe there will be a next one in my lifetime.  

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 4:04pm

CRS, it's funny you and I should discuss this today.  On the 6pm news it was announced that Williamsburg is going into "containment".   Subway and bus service will be instructed not to make stops.  

Mercy!  Please be safe, WM, you are at Ground Zero!    

CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 4:08pm

Thanks, CRS.  We've learned today that we will likely run out of medical equipment this weekend or early next week.  There just isn't enough.  Hopefully Trump is being truthful when he says he'll get everything "the empire state" needs in time.  I'm frightened for our healthcare and emergency workers because we haven't hit peak yet and won't for weeks.  2500 beds at the Javitz center has been approved for Covid patients and is being converted as we speak.  

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 4:26pm

Well the cupboard is almost bare.  Cuomo should have purchased those 15,000 vents 3 yrs ago.  But alas like everyone NO one planned on this Pandemic.  This should be a lesson to all but people forget so fast and they always want to spend money in a different way.     

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 4:52pm

Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

I'm not hearing much about disease rates in native Indian territories (I live in AZ), but COVID-19 will destroy these tribes....many have diabetes and other conditions that predispose for poor outcome, their hospitals are very basic, and their tribal societies are based upon elder leadership and oral history, much like the Hasidic Jews and Amish.  A very cruel disease on many levels.  

Since I'm in New Mexico our news usually reports the number of cases and deaths in Navajo Nation.  I thought it was higher than this, but this is fairly recent. https://www.npr.org/2020/04/04/826780041/as-coronavirus-cases-rise-navajo-nation-tries-to-get-ahead-of-pandemic 

The number of coronavirus cases on the Navajo Nation is multiplying rapidly. As of April 3, there are 241 people with the virus and eight confirmed deaths. The CDC says Native Americans are some of the most vulnerable to the coronavirus because of economic, geographic, and health conditions.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 5:08pm

Thanks for that KiminNM.  Before this, I haven't seen anything!  But it doesn't sound good for the Navajo nation!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic