Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Invernmectin kills covid19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invernmectin kills covid19
    Posted: April 03 2020 at 5:17am
Thorne! View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorne! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 7:53am

This is widely available in the U.S. in farm stores. Or was the last time I was in a farm store, which has been about 10 years. My wife and I have taken it as an anti-parasitic when we lived in India. We have a bottle of it right now for the goats and dogs.

Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 2:17pm

Great find Pixie!

If it's to be - it's up to me!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 1:01am

BE CAREFUL.....that's serious stuff.

We do not know if it removes bodily parasites and viruses from all organs...It is  intestinal medicine.....no proof it will reach the lungs.

Someone correct this if i am wrong.

Incorrect dosage or application can kill you.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 5:54am

It is an external medicine in the US and UK because we do not have to licence medicines for diseases we do not have.  It is used in Africa as an internal medicine as roundworm infections are common and some sub species of the things are NASTY!  Roundworms migrate throughout the body.  Invermectin does not cross the blood-brain barrier.  But it reaches everywhere else.  It has no Major interractions with other drugs, but several drugs prolong its half-life.

It is well tolerated in all mammals (horses, sheep, goats, cows, horses, dogs, cats and primates -us) but has a narrow dose range.  This means to administer it safely you have to know the bodyweight of the critter/person being treated.  

There are no effective antidotes for an overdose.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 5:59am

Ps.  Some drugs you take hourly, some twice a day, some daily and a few weekly.  This is due to the length of time the drug stays in the body.  Invermectin is still detectable in the body after 18 days!  

Invermectin  is administered once in SIX MONTHS!

For really life-threatening infections, it can be given once every 3 MONTHS.

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 7:39am

There is no way to titrate a safe dose from the drugs sold in farm stores...it is calculated in ranges of 250 lbs to upwards of  over 1200 lbs for horses.  Horses used for food must be allow 6 mos before processing for human consumption to be safe.   For smaller animals, it is also administered orally and dosages start 3 cc per 26 pounds of body weight.  Also used in heartworm meds for dogs.  Dosing is tricky and I have seen anaphylactic reactions in animals even when the dosing is accurate.  

IMHO do not try this at home.  This reminds me of the lesson learned from the fish antibiotics.  If it is to be taken, get it from your MD.

Sheep Lady
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:07am

We could put bleach on cells in a petri dish in a lab and it would kill the virus in them, but would also damage cells.  

We could put substances through clogged up arteries in a lab to defur them and make them as clean as a childs, but never in a human, too toxic.

We could destroy drug resistant mycobacterium in a dish in the lab with common antibiotics, but transfer that to a human and its ineffective.  Drug resistance is easy to overcome in tissue culture (in vitro), but another thing in a human ( in vivo)

It's great that labs are trying things,  but bench to bedside is a massive  leap.  

This observation needs trials, and peer reviewed data. It's an idea.  Let's see if it goes further, I hope it can but at present I personally would treat with caution as others have said very toxic drug.

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 10:27am
Sheep Lady
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 7:06am

Now Invernmectin will be included in a major study

University of Oxford scientists are trialling giving Ivermectin to people with Covid symptoms to see if it can keep them out of hospital.

The Principle study will compare those given the drug to patients receiving the usual NHS care. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57570377

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 8:10am

Some years ago I had a cat with TB.  (Mouse TB ironically - from a mouse she sat on. - Yes, I  know!).  The vet tried to treat her with monotherapy, so I bought "Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat" and began my research.  In addition to an antibiotic cocktail, one of the adjunctive drugs which came up was invermectin and the group to which it belongs.  I did some further study on these.

Invermectin kills a wide range of parasites and pathogens, but it is quite toxic to the host too.  When it came to TB, the theraputic dose was larger than the LD50* dose.  But at lower doses, it did give a wormer which did not antagonise the other antibiotics she was on.

All this leads me to suspect that it will follow a similar path in the treatment of COVID.  It might turn out to be usefull, if used in polytherapy within a hospital setting.  But I do not expect it to be approved for COVID use.  Dose is everything in pharmacology, and it is quite toxic.

File it away with the fish-tank cleaner.

* Lethal Dose 50:  The amount where 50% of the test subjects die from the drug.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic