Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Covid-19 Vaccine - forget it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Vaccine - forget it
    Posted: April 12 2020 at 2:44pm

It will never work

The virus behind COVID-19 is so difficult to fight that any vaccine may be more harmful than the disease and the virus may have to burn out on its own, according to one of Australia's top vaccine experts. 

Sydney University professor of infectious diseases David Isaacs said a human vaccine had never been successfully developed against a coronavirus, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), two of this century's first epidemics.

"It's possible we will never get a coronavirus vaccine," he said in an interview with AFR Weekend.

"It could be very difficult to make a vaccine that we know is safe in a lot of people. You have to be very careful when you are making a vaccine that it doesn't trigger that immune response that can cause a worse disease."

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/why-a-coronavirus-vaccine-may-never-be-found-20200402-p54gke?fbclid=IwAR0yIPx2iJc7VOnXs1-l-Aqj3KwMeYwU3CcozkULcSNhEfw-zcpc6L6bFv0

DeepThinker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepThinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 6:52pm

You are not wrong.  However there will be a "vaccine" probably much sooner than most expect probably coming from Bill Gates or  his cohorts.   The people will be in such a panic that most will enthusiastically take it  even though the testing on it will be shoddy at best.   Or even worse, it has been tested and they know it is bad for us but they will still push it.    For the few that don't accept it, there will be so much public pressure that it will become mandatory.

On a side note.....    I think this piece is acknowledging that    SARS-cov2 is not a particularly bad virus and a vaccine to prevent it would have to be extraordinarily safe for it to make sense.    For bad bugs such as small pox, ebola or polio, even an unsafe vaccine is better than nothing.  (Yes I know that Covid-19 is a very bad disease however it is very rare for even those than contract SARS-cov2).

Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 2:27pm

Sydney University professor of infectious diseases David Isaacs said a human vaccine had never been successfully developed against a coronavirus, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), two of this century's first epidemics.

"It's possible we will never get a coronavirus vaccine," he said in an interview with AFR Weekend.

"It could be very difficult to make a vaccine that we know is safe in a lot of people. You have to be very careful when you are making a vaccine that it doesn't trigger that immune response that can cause a worse disease."

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 2:38pm

Thanks, Kilt!  I've also been concerned about the possibility of a vaccine. 

After over 40 years, we still do not have a vaccine for HIV....the retrovirus just keeps shifting and mutating, so that a vaccine cannot be made. 

Corona viruses also mutate, but I think there are other obstacles we face (I'm still researching this).  One thing is that we may not have seriously tried to find a vaccine, so there may be a trick that will work. 

I personally believe that a new anti-viral will be found that will greatly lesson the severity of illness, helping positive cases to survive and increase herd immunity.  Tamiflu and Relenza act this way for influenza, we need something similar. 

Any way you cut it, we are in trouble!

CRS, DrPH
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 2:03pm

It took 83 days for there to be 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide but it has taken just two weeks for that figure to double, as the death toll also continues to rise.

Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 4:08pm

no vaccine so its just going to spread and spread

Beach Girl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beach Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 9:44pm

Researchers all over the world are looking into various vaccine and treatment approaches. I definitely think it's too soon to say for sure that there will never be an effective vaccine just because it may be difficult.

socalmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socalmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 10:15am

Have we ever had a successful vaccine for any other coronavirus? 

I know that there hasn't been much success with vaccines for feline coronavirus but I know that's a different coronavirus. 

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 10:46am

Originally posted by socalmom socalmom wrote:

Have we ever had a successful vaccine for any other coronavirus? 

I know that there hasn't been much success with vaccines for feline coronavirus but I know that's a different coronavirus. 

There is a reason there is no cure for the common cold caused by a coronavirus or rhinovirus. Too many mutations every year and over 200 different strains.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 10:54am

No, but this is the first one to be really life-threatening.  For instance, there was more money to be made from treating the common cold than preventing it.  Now the pharmacological companies have a good reson to find one.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

No, but this is the first one to be really life-threatening.  For instance, there was more money to be made from treating the common cold than preventing it.  Now the pharmacological companies have a good reson to find one.

No they tried for SARS and MERS and failed 

They cannot make a vaccine for a Coronavirus - end of story

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 5:16pm

You could be right, Kilt.  

If there is a way to vaccinate for a coronavirus (which our current level of science is capable of finding) it will be found this time as almost every vaccine research lab around the world is now attempting it.  They did fail with SARS, but the numbers trying were much smaller.

All that is no gurantee of success however, the whole family of coronaviruses are really difficult to match safe vaccines for.

Only time will tell.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 7:45pm

With SARS, wasn't it more that the epidemic was contained before the vaccines in development finished going through all of the testing phases? The research just wasn't needed anymore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/health/coronavirus-vaccine.html

Rollingsalmon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollingsalmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 10:01pm

So why do you think this is happening? And what is happening?

Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 4:38am

Sydney University professor of infectious diseases David Isaacs said a human vaccine had never been successfully developed against a coronavirus

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 3:04pm

Originally posted by Kilt5 Kilt5 wrote:

Sydney University professor of infectious diseases David Isaacs said a human vaccine had never been successfully developed against a coronavirus

I note in the Times this morning, the UK chief of health says that people shouldn't bank on a vaccine becoming available. He also suggested that the NHS might need to find a cure to treat people with it rather than a vaccine.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 5:52pm

I have said from the beginning...No one has cured the common cold...no vaccine!  So why do people think they can do a vaccine for this coronavirus!

A treatment for Covid19 is more the possibility like Tamiflu for Flu! 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:21pm

I agree that an effective treatment may be more likely than a vaccine, but I don't know that anything can be said with absolute certainty yet. More research definitely needs to be done. Like Technophobe said, colds generally aren't severe enough to "require" all the time/effort/money that vaccines take (and many cold strains are caused by other types of viruses besides just coronavirus).

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 1:04pm

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but they will a vaccine that will MAKE MONEY.   If people could avoid a cold they would take a vaccine.  Colds keep a lot of people out of work per year.  So if they could have made a vaccine they would have years ago.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 2:59pm

Big pharma already makes a fortune every year on cold and flu remedies.  Why would they sink millions into researching a vaccine, which might need to only be taken once, when they already make money year after year without further research?

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 4:17pm

That may be true Techno...but if that is correct I hope you are correct!

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 4:22pm

I'm sure of it.

I'm still not sure a vaccine can be made.  I know the chances rose quite a bit, because so many are trying, but improving from zero odds is not a good starting point.

There is still some hope.

Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 5:12pm

I doubt id a vaccine will ever be made for this thing

and if they make one it will mutate around it - like the common cold

Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 3:55am

The WHO says there is NO evidence that anyone recovering from Covid-19 becomes immune to it, rather like that other corona virus commonly known as "the cold". I suspect that means there can't be any vaccine. So masks, gloves and sanitizers could be our reality for quite a while.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 7:33am

It will mutate or they just can't make a vaccine.  I am hoping for a treatment that will keep people off Vents!!!!   If they come up with that I will go back to work but unless they can keep people alive I will be in for a long time!!!  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic