Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Medical Intervention & Prevention
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Anti-Inflammatory Meds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-Inflammatory Meds
    Posted: June 14 2020 at 1:01am

Originally posted by HaevenPsye HaevenPsye wrote:

Hi all, Please check out this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/21/how-does-the-covid-19-coronavirus-kill-what-happens-when-you-get-infected/#617b1c826146

It talks about how pneumonia and inflammation is the final step in illness that gets you. Would anti-inflammatory medication reduce the number of problems for individuals and save lives? 

I tried to post on Reddit but I don't have enough Karma.

Medical science is thinking along these lines, HP! 

I am medical-school trained in virology, immunology etc. and am a practicing public health epidemiologist.  Many of us on this board are familiar with the concept of "cytokine storm," which is an intense immune response we generate when invaded by novel pathogens to which we have limited genetic and immunologic "memory."  This out-of-control immune response was responsible for much of the death during the 1918 pandemic and is pronounced with COVID-19.  

Therefore, scientists are researching if the new drugs used to suppress immune systems to control psoriasis, arthritis and the like have utility to treat COVID-19.  I am personally bullish on the drug Otezla, please see this article:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/amgen-s-anti-inflammatory-otezla-makes-its-foray-into-covid-19-as-strong-sales-lift-q1

There are many clinical trials underway, and although these drugs will not prevent COVID-19 infection like a vaccine would, these might mitigate some of the extreme damage caused to pulmonary tissue and organs from cytokines like Interluken 7, Tumor Necrosis Factor and the like.  I personally think this is our best hope to reduce mortality in the short term; if I were to become SARS-CoV2 positive, I'd request an off-label prescription of Otezla immediately.  Other drugs being tested include injectable biologics such as Enbrel, Humira etc. 

CRS, DrPH
HaevenPsye View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaevenPsye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 7:36pm

Thank you Technophobe. I'm glad I found these forums. 

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 10:50am

Yes.  The recommended dose - that's all.  Any more is a waste of money, but the minimum dose, just 25 microgrammes, is clinically proven to regulate the immune response.  It helps the immune system to fight infection and protects the rest of the body from 'friendly fire' - also known as inflammation and in the most extreme cases cytokine storm.

Statistically, even with the dearth of data on this disease, it has improved survival rates.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaevenPsye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 7:09am

But wait, Technophobe. Would you recommend Vitamin D? 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaevenPsye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 7:03am

Thanks for telling us! Understood. 

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 2:41am

NO,  NO,  NO!  

Avoid anti-inflammatories (except vitamin D) like the plague itself!  They are statistically shown to INCREASE the death rate.

No one knows why.  I have a theory that they depress the immune system and the fever.  BOTH are needed to fight this dammed bug.  But that is my theory.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaevenPsye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 8:33pm

Hi all, Please check out this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/21/how-does-the-covid-19-coronavirus-kill-what-happens-when-you-get-infected/#617b1c826146

It talks about how pneumonia and inflammation is the final step in illness that gets you. Would anti-inflammatory medication reduce the number of problems for individuals and save lives? 

I tried to post on Reddit but I don't have enough Karma.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic