Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Sweden Did It Work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweden Did It Work?
    Posted: April 24 2020 at 2:47pm
Looking at these numbers did Sweden do the right thing letting things stay open?

Sweden
Confirmed: 17,567
Deaths: 2,152
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 3:40pm

Nope in my book

kaye kaye View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaye kaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 4:24pm

We won't know the results until the second wave.   They are striving for herd immunity.  We will have to wait and see if it worked.

keep the joy
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 5:03pm

Good point Kaye Kaye!

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 7:59pm

Everyone is counting on herd immunity. This is a brand new virus, we don't even know if there will be any herd immunity yet. You might be able to catch this virus again, no one knows yet?

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 9:37pm

As I wrote in another post about Sweden, one has to wait until much later to see if Sweden's approach worked or not.  One aim was to get as much 'herd immunity' as possible without overwhelming the health system and they seem to have done that OK.

However, compared to neighbouring countries the Swedish death toll is very, very high.  All figures from 23rd April, and are in deaths per million population

Sweden          188

Denmark           66

Norway              32

Finland              27.

Also for that day USA was as 122 deaths per million, so this has hit Sweden much harder than say USA. 

The question is whether the death rates in neighbouring countries will eventually reach the same level as Sweden, but we need to see some of the lock-downs being relaxed to get some idea - So I guess that it will be at least a couple of months before we can have a good idea of how this has worked.  This all makes it hard to know how to respond to Corvid19.

I suppose that one conclusion that can be drawn is that at the initial stages lock-downs do save lives.       Let us wait to see if that holds true over the whole course of time.  

This means that at this stage I am glad that I am living in Finland rather than Sweden (or even the USA)

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 10:52pm

As the lock-downs are beginning to be lifted it is time to update this thread to give a snap-shoot of the situation before any "surge" of new cases/deaths after things are relaxed: 

All data from what countries reported to WHO, reported as deaths / million

23rd April       11 May

Sweden          188                313

Denmark           66                 91

Norway              32                41

Finland              27                48

Over the time Sweden's mortality rate has continued to pull away from the others, so at this stage I would say their more open policy came a large cost in terms of lives lost.   I think the next month (possibly two months) will show more of the long term effects as the other three countries adopt a more open policy. 

For comparison if USA had the same mortality rate as Sweden the death toll there would be over 103,000. But one needs to remember North America was hit latter then Europe, so it could quickly catch up with Sweden's levels.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic