Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

UVC sterilization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UVC sterilization
    Posted: May 02 2020 at 1:25pm

So, I have recently embraced UVC sterilization methods.  I started with a UV bag from 59S.   The point was to sterilize things like masks, phones, keys, remotes, etc.  The bag appealed to me because I could put things in it, zip closed, and sterilize.  No need to worry about additional safety gear like gloves and uv goggles.  I really like it, and thought a wand would save me a fortune on Everclear PGA.  Anyone else using UVC on grocery packaging?

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to test their equipment beyond a smell test.  Heh...  I'm thinking about putting a couple of apples side by side and using the uvc on one of them to compare how long they last, but that could take a long time to give results.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 1:46pm

I have a small and a large UV wand.  I keep the small one in my car just in case I need one but really never used and do not know if they work or really how well they work.  Does anyone here have any experience I would love to know how and what to use this light on!!

Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 2:53pm

Well, I tried something.  I wanted something very visible, so I tried it on yeast.  

I put water and honey heated to 115 degrees F into two little glass bottles.  Added yeast to both and let them do their thing.

Once they were both frothy, I used a UVC wand on one bottle.  There was a definite difference in loft on the test bottle.  It didn't crown as uniformly. Afterward, I put a spoon in and swished it once in each bottle.  The foam on the test bottle collapsed.  Not much changed about the control bottle.  So, fun with science today.

While it could not kill all of the yeast, that was not the point of the experiment.  On surfaces, I believe it is effective.  It just does not penetrate.

If it's dirty, clean it first, then use the UVC to sterilize. You should be good.  Move it s-l-o-w-l-y over surfaces, preferably about an inch away.

I wanted a way to sterilize the keys on my piano without chemicals.  I think I have found it.  Use it on your pillowcases, boxes, mail, money, grocery packaging, etc.

Edited to add:  Flumom, make sure you get UVC goggles to wear for home and your car.  Regular gloves should be okay, also.  You do not want these uv lights damaging your eyes or skin.  If it can damage the DNA/RNA of bacteria and viruses,  it can damage yours.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic