Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Prepping May 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prepping May 2020
    Posted: May 03 2020 at 1:30pm

Sorry a couple days late, been busy. So what is everyone working on this month?  We have an upcoming meat shortage, so I have actually gone out to the grocery store for the 1st time since the beginning of March to refill my freezer from what we have used. My local grocery already has a limit of 2 package of ground beef. We are working on our garden, been eating fresh salad several times a week, that's been really nice. Also, I have been putting dates on items like laundry detergent, bleach, TP, etc. when I open them, so I can get an idea of how much we are using, like I found out we are using 2 bottles of liquid detergent a month, 1 box of non-chlorine dry bleach, 1 bottle of bleach, etc. this has helped for for stocking up for the next round of Covid-19.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 1:57pm

Good Idea about measuring what you use.  There is only one of me so I don't use much and always buy twice what is needed.  I have enough dry/paper goods until December.  

Talking about meat.  I put my order in for delivery at the grocery store they guy who did my shopping purchased 8 lbs of hamburger, 18 chicken breasts, 8 chicken thighs, and 8 pork chops/steaks.  I am not sure how he got out of the store with all that meat but I vacuumed packed it and froze it all.  Then my friend went to Costco Friday and got me 2 slabs of Spare Ribs.  Going to cut them up and freeze them tomorrow.   My freezers are full.

I am a pre planner and filled part of my chest freezer with 2 -  10 lb bags of white sugar, and some brown sugar along with if everything dies seeds several years ago.  So when I got all this extra meat I just dumped all these space saver items into my bug/rodent proof cases in the basement.  Now I had enough room to freeze all this extra meat.  I always heard you should not leave a freezer empty that helped me when I needed extra room for all this meat!

This month hope to really clean my garage and pull out all my out of date dairy and eggs and put them in the trash.  They are bad and can't be used.  Lesson dairy and eggs are not something you hold onto have to order when you see a problem coming like a pandemic.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 2:56pm

I agree with you both, I'm keeping my stores completely stocked up. We have a label maker which I've hardly ever used but I'm going to mark up the edges of the shelves with the product and the number of them we need to hold. That way I can quickly assess what's missing and add it to my shopping list. 

I went to the store recently but went half an hour before it was closing and found it was nearly empty, so that was great. 

Flumom, you can freeze all dairy items including milk. You can freeze milk in it's plastic bottles. When you defrost it, do it at room temperature and not in the microwave. Or you can freeze it in bags. I freeze enough milk for the 2 months a year that our cows are dry, and any left over once they've calved, I then defrost and feed to the pig. And you can freeze eggs too. Either crack open an number of eggs, beat them slightly and freeze in a bag, or freeze individual ones in ice cube trays. I've got some large cube silicon ones that I used to freeze baby food in and each of those will hold an egg.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 2:58pm

Btw, when you defrost milk, particularly whole milk, it looks awful as the fat has seperated out during the freezing process. But just wait until it's all liquid and then give the bottle or the bag a really good shake and it'll look normal again.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 5:36pm

Thanks Kiwi I did freeze some milk and it was great I did heavy cream and it was clumpy.  I guess I need to really shake it a lot more.  

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 8:05pm

https://growfood.com/shop/food-for-everyone/We are having rain nearly every day and until the last few weeks temps around freezing. Did get some purple potatoes planted which have really jumped. We had nearly 5 inches of rain Thursday. We were able to make raised beds a few nice days in mid April so the roots of white potatoes and peas are above the standing water soaked mud. Raining again tonight :(

Some years ago, I discovered this https://growfood.com/shop/food-for-everyone/ I have gardened utilizing this man's amazing methods, and the first year I grew potatoes I filled 3 plastic garbage cans full of them with just 3 rows probably about 40 feet long. Tomatoes were out of this world. So if you need a lot of production for your family you might also like to try these methods. Other than that trying to stock up on critter meds for the summer from Jeffers to eliminate trips to Tractor Supply. Penicillin was getting hard to find and some wormers typically sell out in summer.

Sheep Lady
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 2:42pm

Thanks for that link Sheep Lady, it looks very interesting. We're putting extra effort into our garden from now on as I'm sure there will be food supply problems, and even if the supply is fine, the price will go up. I don't have much wriggle room in my household budget so will grow a lot more.

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 3:00pm

I finally found flour, so I'll probably make bread. I know there are no yeast breads, so if I can't acquire yeast, I'll just go that route. Otherwise, I am pretty decent on most things presently. I might buy more chicken and fish though. I am not personally too concerned about red meat as I do not eat it very often.

Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 1:39am

I had bought about 25lbs of flour back in February and still have quite a bit. But my daughter that lives in Washington said she wasn't able to find flour, sugar, rice or canned soup the last couple of times she went to the store. It seems they have been just ahead of us in the midwest, with what's happening next. 

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 1:40am

Oh and she couldn't find yeast either. 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 11:25am

We have had a few restaurants here put together "baking boxes" with flour, yeast, butter, and sugar to buy. I think its a fantastic idea. I have enough of all of those items, but still thinking of buying one for the future.

Many stores in our area are limiting meat products now to 2 each trip.

I get organic farm raised chicken (thighs and breasts) delivered every Friday. I don't eat beef at all, so not worried about that. I do eat pork and my farm delivery also has that to order as well.

Just ordered paper towels from Amazon - couldn't believe they had them. Will be delivered next week. I try to plan ahead. I have a whole chest full, but I am one of the ones that will be "staying out of stores' even if they all open everywhere. 

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Sheep Lady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 11:55am

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Thanks for that link Sheep Lady, it looks very interesting. We're putting extra effort into our garden from now on as I'm sure there will be food supply problems, and even if the supply is fine, the price will go up. I don't have much wriggle room in my household budget so will grow a lot more.

Thank you KiwiMum. 

Murray Hallam is also in your neck of the woods.  You might like aquaponics also.  Have had some tasty meals from our system.  Best to pick fish that are native to your climate so you don't have to worry about heaters.  Our system is about 6 years old.  The only down side is it takes a little bit of time to age beneficial organisms in the media as well as water so you wouldn't get great results immediately.  Helps if you have aquarium fish experience.  I can say I had tomato plants in my basement about 4 foot tall all winter.

Sheep Lady
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 1:54pm

We don't have basements here in NZ. I envy you Americans for them. Here we were out of flour for about 4 weeks during the level 4 when we were on the most severe form of lockdown, but now there's flour and yeast in the shops, so that's good. In fact I could find everything on my list except the brand of pizza sauce we love, so not bad.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 5:09pm

We don't have basements here in the Virginia Beach area at all. Water table is too high. So not every place in the US has basements.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 5:14pm

Why I do not live in the south...no basements, but lots of bugs, snakes, gators and muggy.  Lived in Fla and could not get out fast enough.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 11:38pm

We don't have many basements here in Oklahoma either. We do have underground and above ground tornado shelters though. We have an above ground shelter. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 2:47pm

It's very hard to get approval for a basement in my district due to the earthquake risk. You have to completely over engineer it, just in case. I would love a basement though. My friend has an illegally dug cellar in his house, it's only 8 ft by 4 ft with a set of steps due into the earth to descend into it. It's about 6 feet deep. And honestly, it's like stepping down into a fridge, even on a hot day. I was amazed at just how cool it was down there. I want one too, but my house is elevated on piles so it's just not possible. I might dig one in the garden one day and put a hut over the top.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 2:48pm

And I'll make it look like a Hobbit hole. lol.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 1:17pm

I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Netflix, thinking maybe it could give me some ideas I haven't thought about. I have never seen it before. 

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 10:37pm

This year's batch of Dandelion Marmalade (lemon and lime base) is made.  The lemon and lime give it a sharp taste, and the dandelion gives it a golden hue with hints of honey to counter the lime taste.

I am running out of space in the pantry for all the jars (of various preserves/jams) I have stored.

ps. all the recipes suggest that if you have children or grandchildren around collecting the dandelion flowers would be a fun activity for them.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:12pm

Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Netflix, thinking maybe it could give me some ideas I haven't thought about. I have never seen it before. 

Ok what ideas?  Don't leave us hanging!

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:20pm

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

It's very hard to get approval for a basement in my district due to the earthquake risk. You have to completely over engineer it, just in case. I would love a basement though. My friend has an illegally dug cellar in his house, it's only 8 ft by 4 ft with a set of steps due into the earth to descend into it. It's about 6 feet deep. And honestly, it's like stepping down into a fridge, even on a hot day. I was amazed at just how cool it was down there. I want one too, but my house is elevated on piles so it's just not possible. I might dig one in the garden one day and put a hut over the top.

My basement even in 100 degree weather only gets to 72 degrees at the most.  If I were you Kiwi I would build a what we call a root cellar.    Hope this gives you some ideas!  I am considering digging under my family room and putting a safe room, cold cellar it would cost a pretty penny but if my son is going to live in this house it will be worth it for my child and grandchildren.  

Root Cellars 101 - Root cellar Design, Use and mistakes to avoid.

February 8, 2020

Sharing is caring!

In this article we'll talk about 5 basic things you must include in a root cellar design, plus 10 tips for fruit and vegetable storage. There's also a printable storage guide for over 30 fruits and veggies, and links to additional information at the bottom of the post. 

Aroot cellar is a great low-cost way to store food – not just root vegetables, but other fresh produce, too. They require little to no energy to use and very little maintenance .You can build in a root cellar when your home is under construction, but it’s also possible to add a root cellar to your basement, or build one outside your home.

Dig a deep enough hole, and you’ll find that the ground is cool (and often moist). Root cellars tap into those cool, moist soil conditions and use them to store fruits and vegetables – like your refrigerator produce bin.

.root cellar with squash and root vegetables on shelves, canning jars on right

Contents [Hide]

WHAT IS A ROOT CELLAR?

Wiki says a root cellar is “a structure, usually underground or partially underground, used for 

storage of vegetables, fruits, nuts, or other foods. “ 

Dig a deep enough hole, and you’ll find that the ground is cool (and often moist). Root 

cellars tap into those cool, moist soil conditions and use them to store fruits and vegetables 

– like your refrigerator produce bin.

BUILDING A ROOT CELLAR

There are five major elements that a root cellar requires:

1. Ventilation:  Some fruits and vegetables give off ethylene gas, which can cause other produce to spoil. Also, a tightly sealed cellar will increase the risk of mold. Make sure fresh air can get in, stale air can get out, and air can circulate around the produce.
  2. Earth-shelter:  The soil insulates and maintains a cooler temperature. A packed earth floor or gravel floor is better than concrete for keeping moisture (humidity) levels higher.
  3. Humidity:  A high humidity level of 80-95% keeps produce from drying out. Humidity that is high enough for produce may cause canning jar lids to rust, so be sure to check lids and rotate stock if you store canned goods in the root cellar. Too much humidity can be a problem also, so try to keep it below 95%
  4. Darkness:  Light can trigger sprouting, so if you have a window in your root cellar, keep it covered, and don’t leave the lights on.
  5. Shelving/Storage bins: Wood shelving and bins are naturally antibacterial. Wood also conducts heat more slowly than metal, and doesn’t rust. Avoid treated wood, and stick to those that are naturally rot resistant.

6. TYPES OF ROOT CELLARS AND NATURAL COLD STORAGE OPTIONS

Natural cold storage options include (click on any item in the list to jump to more information below):

All of these keep your food cool. These earth sheltered fruit and vegetable options work best for those in cooler climates, where the ground temp is naturally cooler.

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 2:02am

In our neck of the woods, root cellars are usually separate from the house.  The smallest one I saw had a door about 1 foot square and only went back as far as the arm could reach - this was from a place built in the early 1900s were the family was aiming for self-sufficiency!   I personally would go for a larger one.  

Also of value, is if there is a pantry/cupboard that is ventilated to the outside - this can be used if the fridge breaks down.

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 6:24pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I do have a copy of Rootcellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel which is an American book I bought from Lehmans. I have plenty of land here and when we get round to build one we will build it large. We actually had a digger here last week and dug a hole the size of a small swimming pool in under a day and I looked at it and thought "root cellar" but we need that hole for a new waste water filtration system we're putting in.

But I love the idea of having one. I'll definitely cover mine with earth so it's really insulated. But it has been on my to do list for a decade already and I still haven't done it!!!! The next thing on the list is a mushroom shed.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 9:49am

Being a HCW, I haven't had much time off lately, and evenings usually find me crashed out on the couch. On the weekends I've been busy though. My son and I made a couple of huge storage cupboards for the kitchen so we could finally move the pile of food that's taken over the living room. Our place is woefully lacking in storage space (hence the reason we could never make full use of a Costco card...), but I've remedied that. And then some. The nice thing is that my wife is finally on board with my prepping. For the longest time she just tolerated it (I guess she figured it kept me out of trouble), but now I don't have to hide what I'm doing, which made it much easier to take over the kitchen with plywood and power tools without her divorcing me    

I moved a lot of our preps up from the garage too, so I now have space down there which I intend to use to pad out what we already have. I'm absolutely certain that the fall will be far worse, and we won't have anything resembling a robust economy to bail us out at that point. My other concern is that the government didn't learn from their initial response (or lack of), and isn't using the time we have to get ready for subsequent waves. We already have a few months worth of supplies, but I see this going well into next year and quite possibly beyond, so I'm going to use the newly freed up space to extend what we already have. I have a really, really bad feeling about what's coming, especially with so many people in the US so resistant to basic infection control measures for whatever reason.

Our complex is less than secure (another bike just disappeared off the balcony), so I'm putting better locks on the garage, putting up solar lighting and fixing the fencing where we believe people have been getting in. I want to build some above ground planters to grow vegetables, and I don't want to go to all the trouble only to have stuff disappear. I'm looking into growing potatoes too - I've always wanted to try using the sawdust in a barrel method. I like that it won't be obvious that we're growing something in there.

Sorry I haven't been around much. Work has gotten crazy (my workload has risen dramatically lately - I'm seeing easily twice as many patients, and sometimes more), although that has nothing to do with Covid-19. Not yet anyway. I work with dialysis patients in SoCal, and through my company I've heard that 20-40% of the ICU patients in New York progressed to end stage renal failure, so we're expecting a huge influx if a larger nationwide outbreak takes place - which it will. My company was trying to recruit us to help out in New York (I would have gone if I was single, but I'm the only one working in my family right now), and I was shown an email from a local nurse that traveled there to help out. It was sent to me with the understanding that I can't share it verbatim unfortunately, but the Cliff notes version is that she talked about how all the ICU patients she dialyzed the day before were dead when she came back in the morning, and she had no expectation of that day's patients being alive by the following morning. Do not take this virus lightly or think it's not your demographic that is being hit hard. She had no elderly patients because she said they simply didn't make it to the point where they even needed ventilators or dialysis. The vast majority of ICU patients she worked with were in their forties and fifties. Locally, a friend has an aunt and uncle who contacted the virus. They're both in their fifties with no underlying conditions, and while she was eventually made it out of the ICU and appears to be doing well, he hasn't regained consciousness, is on a ventilator with a tracheostomy, and is being dialyzed since his kidneys failed. 

If this gets bad, or I feel I'm putting my family at risk, I'm going to relocate to the garage so I have minimal contact with them. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being able to socially distance when I'm checking vitals, drawing blood, etc. I'm 18" from a patient's face (although we're in full PPE all day - gown, gloves, mask, face shield) and I know I am my family's biggest risk factor. I was hearing rumors as I left yesterday that one of the techs in the same building had possibly tested positive, but I wasn't able to confirm it. I share the same break room, bathroom, etc with him, so it's getting a little too close to home. Fingers crossed he ultimately tests negative.

Stay safe, and don't believe anyone that downplays this. Listen to what HCWs and first responders in places like New York are telling us. I believe what we're about to see as states open up is a continuation of the first wave. The second wave could well be a virus that has honed it's skills after finding a new host, and has become a fully human virus. Underestimate it at your peril.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 3:42pm

Jacksdad, perhaps you could plant some good prickly roses around your boundary, inside your fence. That will deter people. Statistics also show that just 18 inches of trellis on top of an existing fence is a massive deterrent because it will always break under the weight of someone climbing over and makes a lot of noise. It puts them off. 

Personally I really worry about the supply chain of food and also about the cost of food going up due to shortages. We are a low income family and I don't have any wriggle room on food budget at the moment as we have had no income during the lockdown so I've been out planting vegetables. Come the spring, I'll plant over the whole garden. I think we're going to need it. It's strange times.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 4:20pm

I share your worry about the oncoming economic problems, JD.  We were both right about this bloody bug; I don't want to be right again, but I think we are.

I have a planting idea or two that might help - things that don't look like food but are grown for ornament.  Hostas, tree peas, snowy mesipilis, even lupins.  Everyone knows that lupin-peas are poisonus - they are - but an overnight soak/change water and repeat before boiling renders them edible, and very tasty.  KiwiMum's idea of roses is great and the hips make a syrup LOADED in vitamins.  If you can fake an Irish past, oca (oxalis tuberosa) could be passed off as shamrocks.  A garden without nasturtums to munch is a sad place indeed.

Please take extra care, Pal.  This vicious bug has me worried.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 5:18pm

JD, I share your feelings about this going to be bad in the near future. I have started stocking up more than I had. I have been on furlough since March 18th, which I'm very glad. So I have been taking a sharpie and writing the dates on items so I can figure out how much we use of each item. Like 2 bottles of laundry detergent a month, 1 box of powdered bleach, 5 cans refried beans, etc. I just recently started going out to the store and I'm stocking up again on items we have used over the past 2 months and more.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 5:31pm

Kiwimum, yes the prices of food here is rising. Three weeks ago I was paying $2.79lb for ground beef, today it's $6.79lb. And a 2 package limit.  My freezer is full I stocked up when it was cheaper. My adult daughter lives in Washington and she said she didn't buy chicken this week because it was $9+ for a package of 6 chicken legs. They have a limit of 2 beef, 2 chicken,  2 pork.

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 6:18pm

I know I am not as young as I use to be...LOL!  I planted half of my starter pots today got it all mulched and I am TIRED!  i use to do twice as much as that and not half as tired.  I planted some dill and cilantro  I did not plan on but has extra space and put seeds in.  Some of the seeds were from 2008 and I wonder if they will come up.   I am going to rest tomorrow and plant the rest on Monday!!!   LOL have to rest!

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 3:58am

The "sell by" dates on seed are to ensure majority germination.  When seed gets old, some plants still germinate - just not as many.  Really ancient seed still throws out a few germinations.  They might take a couple of extra days to germinate though.

Never throw seed away.  There is always at least one to come up.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 8:41am

I took the actual leap of faith and went into our local Walmart this morning.

I have not shopped in a store since March 13...so it was a bit daunting. I did wear an N95 mask...before anyone is up in arms over that...its the kind with the exhaust vents..so no medical personnel would find it useful, and I wore a cloth mask over it.

Thank goodness I did, the store was fairly empty, but I would say 50% of folks were not wearing masks and a handful of employees (mostly the younger males) had them pulled down over their necks while stocking. And I heard coughing in various aisles and some folks do NOT follow the arrows...sigh..or the 6 ft distance...in fact its the males with no mask on that seem to not care how close they get to you...like they are trying to prove something I guess...next time I am going to go into a coughing fit when that happens...instead I just cursed under my breath and moved away.

I spent over $400, but it was a good trip. I needed a new vacuum cleaner since mine had gone kaput last weekend...and I stocked up on dog food, summer pj's (since I am spending more time in them..lol) toilet paper, cleaners and paper goods. Also vitamins that I had been ordering, I was able to stock up on.

I think I am going to go to Aldi tomorrow to buy groceries. I feel like I can do it now and safely, but you really have to always be aware of others around you...its a bit exhausting.
P.S. I run a huge Aldi group on Facebook so its my favorite store...that's where I buy 98% of my food ...been using Instacart for it lately, so I am excited to go for myself again.

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 8:47am

Wanted to add that our Walmart had huge and I mean huge displays (2 of them) of garden seeds, so if anyone is looking - you might want to give your Walmart a try.

--Confucius

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 8:52am

You made me laugh with the coughing fit comment.  I have a dear friend in South Carolina who found out by accident that if she has a coughing fit, people move away from her.  She's been using it ever since instead of getting out of others' way.  She says it really clears the aisle!

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 5:57pm

Ordered 3 #10 cans of milk yesterday and a box of 10 KN95 masks today.  

Because South America is going to get ugly, produce is going to skyrocket.  Root veg should be obtainable, but I think we're going to see a situation like we had before the early 70's where we ate seasonal produce or spent beau coup bucks on hot house.  I can't stand canned vegetables and I think it best to reserve freezer space for protein.  So my Amazon cart has a double decker sprout tray and 2 1lb bags of sprouting seeds.  One alfalfa and one broccoli.   

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 7:25pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

Ordered 3 #10 cans of milk yesterday and a box of 10 KN95 masks today.  

Because South America is going to get ugly, produce is going to skyrocket.  Root veg should be obtainable, but I think we're going to see a situation like we had before the early 70's where we ate seasonal produce or spent beau coup bucks on hot house.  I can't stand canned vegetables and I think it best to reserve freezer space for protein.  So my Amazon cart has a double decker sprout tray and 2 1lb bags of sprouting seeds.  One alfalfa and one broccoli.   

I do a lot of sprouting. It's so easy. Alfalfa and broccoli are lovely but try one of the spicy mixes too, it really adds something to meals. I agree with you about vegetable prices. I'm sure we'll see it everywhere. I was tipped off the other day that the rice shortage is starting to hit NZ. As more and more countries stop exporting to ensure they have enough food for their own people, I'm sure we'll see lots of shortages globally. 

I did place another seed order recently. We're in late Autumn here and I have my seeds ready for spring. Due to shortages I had to shop around whereas normally I buy all my seeds from one company.

hoosiermom22 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosiermom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 7:51pm

A few patio plants- mostly tomatoes and decided to store my seeds for next year in case things get bad. I’m working so no time to garden, but I have grow light. Also have alfalfa and mung beans for sprouting. Husband is asking if we’re “done yet”? With keeping extra put aside. Also first trip to the supermarket today- for more than a couple things, limits on meat, no red onions ever I’m finding, lots of the cheaper brand spices out of stock, like garlic powder, onion powder. Had to spend $7 on organic. (I have a ton of minced onion darn it). Identified a big hole with frozen and fresh veggies. Also my family learned to like lentils which was a huge win so far during this pandemic. They are not bean/legume fans. I am a bit fatigued between work, prepping and trying to guess the next best move.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 5:02am

I'll try a spicy blend, Kiwimum.  I just put 1/2lb into my cart.  I used to do sprouts all the time.  I started when I was in college and was a vegetarian for a short (very short) time.   I guess I just got out of the habit.  

Sorry to hear about the rice shortage. That's going to hurt especially if you're going to get stuck with American rice. We may grow a lot of it, but frankly, it's not the best. However, if you can somehow source the Goya brand, I find that is the best American grown rice. I prefer their Blue Rose premium which is a medium grain rice and I find I can make risotto with it. But for what it's worth, they also sell a medium grain Jasmine rice which is very nice.

Good luck!

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 5:06am

Hoosiermom, have you tried Penzys.com? Pricey, but the last I checked they had a full selection of spices and spice mixes.

Living in an apartment, I'm sort of stuck. Although I had a thought last night that my windows are 6'x3' and I'm wondering if one of those "topsy turvy" planters might be of service to me. Although the cats would probably destroy it... *sigh*

You do know you can do red onions or any onions in a container garden right?  Check out Youtube for instructions.  

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 7:22am

https://www.penzeys.com/ This is the correct website for Penzey's spices, I must have over 100 of them...LOVE PENZEYS!
Here is my kitchen spice cart...

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 6:09pm

Dang girl!  What's your favorite blend?

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 7:15pm

Hands down Penzeys Tsardust Memories!

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 4:07am

Originally posted by Tabitha111 Tabitha111 wrote:

Hands down Penzeys Tsardust Memories!

How do you use it?  

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 2:36pm

On everything....its so good.  Sprinkle on cottage cheese, potato salad, use on turkey burgers (I don't eat beef), pork roasts,  sprinkle on buttered toast.  

Have you had it? Its a strange combination that seems to work...cinnamony, yet savory...its supposedly a Russian-type spice mixture.

From the website- 

Tsardust Memories

Tasty and enticing, Tsardust Memories is both a reminder of the past and a gateway to the future. Excellent in anything hearty, but really useful in meat-free dishes as well. From long-simmered soups and stews, to quick-cooked chops and burgers, to really simple pan-seared carrots, Tsardust Memories brings goodness and delight to please all, right to the table.
Hand- mixed from: salt, garlic, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg and marjoram.

--Confucius

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 6:25pm

Hey, my Aunt would use cloves in her venison stew (and it was the best you've ever had), then I can see cinnamon on burgers! I'll give it a try!  Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic