Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Lucky or what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lucky or what?
    Posted: June 24 2020 at 10:29pm

Just lucky or ???  I realize that many states and countries are being hard hit but here are AB stats - I know this is going to raise the hair on some of your necks but it's hard to get too worried about this virus looking at these numbers...  

Curious for some opinions/input on this...

Alberta has approx. 4.4 million people

News article today says "AB labs have run 409, 352 tests for C19" (doesn't specify if all these tests were done on AB citizens or if testing other provinces as well..)

Total Cases 7825

Total Deatsh 153  (Approx. 0.01955 %) 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-records-44-new-covid-19-cases-northeast-edmonton-no-longer-on-province-s-watchlist/ar-BB15VWUy?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

If it's to be - it's up to me!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 11:12pm

Well Alberta is very spread out.  We had recently had a holiday in Finnish Lappland, before visiting Alberta.  I was shocked on a drive from Edmonton to Fort McMurray at just how few settlements we passed through (despite having seen our spread out communities living above the article circle).  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 3:13am

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

We very lucky.......

Smart aswell lol 

😉

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 7:20am

Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

Well Alberta is very spread out.  We had recently had a holiday in Finnish Lappland, before visiting Alberta.  I was shocked on a drive from Edmonton to Fort McMurray at just how few settlements we passed through (despite having seen our spread out communities living above the article circle).  

Yes, Edmonton to McMurray is spread out - so is Edmonton to Grand Prairie... (the 2 main cities FM in NE of province and GP in NW) but the majority of population is down the central 'core'.  Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary have the vast majority of people.  Edmonton to Calgary is approx. 3 hours with Red Deer in the middle - I would guess about 80% of population (3+ million or so) lives in the 3 cities and surrounding communities.  Just looked it up and Edm 1.4 million, Calgary 1.55 mill and RD approx. 100K so 3 million there plus all the surrounding support/bedroom etc communities

Alberta when settled back in the early 1900's had a town approx. every 8 miles - I remember being told in school that was because it was the distance a horse drawn wagon of grain could go  (return? I honestly forget now) in a days drive, you still this spacing largely across the central prairies, especially along rail road lines, but many areas the small towns have turned to ghost towns with everyone moving to city.  There has never been any small towns to speak of in the northern borealis bush country (GP & FM) and towns that were there tended to be along the rivers (mode of transport) or later on along railroad tracks, and not to south - in south most of the sm towns have died out/disappeared.  

There was never agriculture of any level to north (fur trade, mining salt, oil industry etc) and to south it's always big the big native grass range lands - dryer there so agriculture was grazing only till the advent of major irrigation.  Ranches if you choose to use the word (station to you Carbon)...central AB has always been grain land and grazing... So when you look at the drive to McMurray (lived there for years) the little towns basically 'stop' where the boreal forest started a hundred + years ago.  Now with clear cutting the bush is being pushed back (quite scary when you look at maps over time actually!) and the division line is much harder to see & quite a distance further north! 

So yes, some of us are pretty spread out - I'm on farm in grain area, nearest town has a small post office, no store, no other biz, but our cities are just like anywhere else...   

Lower population density is definitely a factor, but other provinces/states with spread out populations that is what Montana, Idaho, N/S Dakota are like having driven through them (and how I picture Texas being - never been there) with drives between cities/towns are facing tougher times... 

Glad numbers here are low, just wondering 'why' so low (and trust me - I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth) - just curious if anything 'different' here that's helping.  Mega sun hours in summer maybe helps but..…??? 

Keep the idea's coming!  Edwin - what did you go to Fort Mac for?  Just to tour oil sands - vacation or business or ?   

If it's to be - it's up to me!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2020 at 8:15am

Although from Ontario, my mother's family spread out, and this was to visit one of Mom's sisters (just outside Edmonton) and one of her children who was working as a doctor up north.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic