Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Schools- your thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 3:26pm
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 6:03pm

Here in Scotland my kids due back mid August.  Scottish parliament not giving us a choice.  No blended learning, no home schooling, no social distancing even for my teenagers.   No face coverings except the teaching staff.  Just extra handwashing station.   Huge school as well.  Kids saying it is like the hunger games  they are being forced in an arena and let's see whose family has the best immune system.  

Hz x

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 9:51pm

Omg that's awful. Most schools in our state are offering regular school or distance learning, where they will issue chrome books to the students. 

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 8:27am

OMG, Hazelpad that is awful... can't even think about that.

Here it literally is decided by each school district.  Most have hybrid, and a few are all distance.  And a few are going full-tilt boogie the other direction.  We'll see in about six weeks how this all goes.  But!  Looking at the amount of stories I have seen of spread at parties, play dates, day camps and the like, I am not too optimistic.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 1:48am

The Independent: Coronavirus news - live: Schools reopening risks second wave twice as big as first, Lancet study warns as Australia deploys army to enforce lockdown.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-uk-update-cases-deaths-schools-lockdown-boris-johnson-covid-today-latest-a9652481.html

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 3:14am
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 5:31am

Jeez...I rest my case.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 5:59am

See what happens in 14 days .........🙁

Marcus Aurelius
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 9:26am

So many people in my area are hanging on with bloody fingernails to the argument that “kids don’t get Covid”...

Totally ignoring the data showing that they do. They get it, they transmit it, sometimes —tragically — they become very ill and die from it.  Then, the same happens to those they got sick.  And the cycle continues.  Teachers are especially at risk in this cycle.  

I know we cannot keep kids home from school forever; but now is not the time to send them back. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 4:01pm

Just watching Mark Meadows,interview,

In one breath he says it's safe for children to go back to school ,

In another says, 

We all know if my child gets a cold from school, I will get it a few days later!!!!! 

Why is the health of your child a political issue ?

Why is wearing a mask a political issue ?

Why cast doubt on your election system ?

Sorry I just don't get it, 

Marcus Aurelius
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 4:02am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/260-employees-georgia-s-largest-school-district-test-positive-or-n1235641

260 employees in Georgia's largest school district test positive for or exposed to coronavirus

Gwinnett County, which has the state's largest school district, has seen 4,000 new cases in the past two weeks.

Growing concern over schools reopening amid rising coronavirus cases

AUG. 4, 202001:51

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

SUBSCRIBE

Aug. 3, 2020, 12:37 PM EDT

By Ben Kesslen

Around 260 employees in Georgia’s largest school district have been “excluded from work” after testing positive for the coronavirus or being exposed to the virus, the county told NBC News on Monday.

Recommended

VIDEO

Georgia teen on losing both parents to coronavirus: 'They're watching me from above'

CORONAVIRUS

2nd-grade student tests positive for the coronavirus after 1st day of school

Sloan Roach, a spokesperson for the Gwinnett County School District — which has an estimated 180,000 students in the Atlanta Metro area — said the number is an approximation of their record since last Thursday. She did not reply to a follow-up question about whether the number encompasses the total amount of employees sickened or exposed since the pandemic began.

Related

HEALTH

MAP: How coronavirus deaths compare to confirmed cases across the U.S.

“This number is fluid as we continue to have new reports and others who are returning to work,” she said in an email.

Roach said that, through contact tracing, they have determined the majority of cases stem from community spread and many employees have called in sick who have not been at school or work.

“Given the number of COVID cases in Gwinnett we would expect to see positives among our employees,” Roach said. The county, Georgia’s second largest, has recorded almost 18,000 cases since the pandemic began, but 4,000 alone in the last two weeks, according to data from the Georgia Department of Public Health. Two hundred and forty people in Gwinnett have died from the virus.

Over 200 people at Georgia summer camp infected with coronavirus

AUG. 3, 202001:45

The county's announcement comes as Georgia nears 200,000 cases and 4,000 deaths, and as schools weigh the risks of reopening with in-person instruction.

Image: Ben Kesslen

Ben Kesslen

Ben Kesslen is a reporter for NBC News. 

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 2:38am

Georgia student suspended after posting a photo of a crowded school hallway says it was 'good and necessary trouble'

Madeline Holcombe

By Madeline Holcombe, CNN

Updated 1:50 AM ET, Fri August 7, 2020

Student suspended after posting photo of crowded hallway

Student suspended after posting photo of crowded hallway 04:32

(CNN)A viral photo showing students in a Georgia high school crowded in hallways and with few visible masks resulted in the sophomore who posted it being suspended, she said.

Hannah Watters, a student at North Paulding High School in Dallas, Georgia, saw a photo of packed halls on the first day of school go viral. And when she saw that little had changed after that, she told CNN's Laura Coates on Thursday, she felt she had to share what it looked like inside the school. So, she took a photo of the scene and posted it to social media.
"I was concerned for the safety of everyone in that building and everyone in the county because precautions that the CDC and guidelines that the CDC has been telling us for months now, weren't being followed," Watters said.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 3:00am

Why punish the whistle blower ?

I refuse to believe that children are not affected....

I will believe it, in about 12/18 months if no children get sick

I hope I'm wrong......very wrong.....

Keep safe all 😷😉

Marcus Aurelius
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 6:55am

+1, Carbon!

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 8:23am

But Carbon....what she did was high treason going against the Chief in Command's view that children don't spread the virus.

She also showed up the school authorities as not taking proper action....we must not allow independent thinking in our schools, nor the freedom of the individual...

....And we are not allowed to hold accountable those in authority.      

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 11:30am

3 Texas school districts close after one week and iver 1000 testing positive

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 3:21pm

Commander in chief ?

More like mein furhrer

"Lest  we forget"

his heritage..!!!!!!

Oops hope that's not political....😷😉😘

Marcus Aurelius
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 5:35am

Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

3 Texas school districts close after one week and iver 1000 testing positive

Usk, I haven't been able to find this on the web anywhere.  I know some folks who are trying to.decide between hybrid or online classes, and this info could really help them if I had a source...

Rollingsalmon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollingsalmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:05am

It makes no sense to me. The VERY first day of class, kids and teachers will test positive in schools across the nation. Then what? Close that class? Continue willy-nilly? Close the school? And then the next day, the same thing will happen at other schools. I think this decision will lead to a nationwide school shutdown within a month of starting. THAT will be chaotic and harmful. 

I also think wiser heads will prevail and schools won't open in a month. I also think there is a good chance that most universities and colleges will announce in the next week or two that they are going online for the Fall.

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 1:16pm

Coronavirus live updates: Georgia school district says 100 students, staff test positive

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-live-updates-georgia-school-district-100-students/story?id=72250543 

5:57 a.m.: Georgia school district reports 100 COVID-19 cases among students, staff

As the debate about reopening schools continues across the country, many children are already back in classrooms or are about to start. One state that has grabbed headlines this week is Georgia, where photos of crowded hallways showing students without masks went viral.

Now, one of the largest school districts in the Peach State is reporting that 100 of its students and staff are suspected of having tested positive for COVID-19, even before in-person classes have started. Those figures were provided to the district by the Georgia Department of Health.

Cobb County Schools Superintendent Chris Ragsdale said the district would remain virtual "until public health data in Cobb County changes and guidance from state and local public health officials recommends it," according to ABC News Atlanta affiliate WSB. The district, which has about 113,000 students, starts remote learning on Aug. 17.

Georgia exceeded 200,000 COVID-19 cases on Aug. 5, according to an internal Federal Emergency Management Agency memo obtained by ABC News. It took four months for the state to reach 100,000 cases and just four weeks to reach 200,000.

Cobb County, according to the Georgia Department of Health, has more than 13,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, with 1,363 current hospitalizations. The county has at least 317 COVID-19 deaths, the second most in the state, trailing only Fulton County's 420 deaths.

The state has more than 209,000 confirmed cases, with at least 4,117 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.

ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 1:21pm

More than 200 students in Georgia are quarantining after the district's first week open saw several test positive for coronavirus

https://www.insider.com/hundreds-students-in-georgia-quarantine-after-first-week-of-class-2020-8

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 4:22pm

We started teacher training today, in person classes start the 13th. Neighboring schools have been back in person for 10 days and already going online for two weeks due to the number of teachers in quarantine, but plan to come back after that. Everyone is living in fantasy land, thinking this will work 

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 3:50pm

AandEM, do you mind if I ask — do you live in Georgia? 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 7:32pm

I'm in Indiana. We've had some national coverage. Not in a good way😔

Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 7:27am

Ohio’s Governor had a press conference on Tuesday with three doctors from Ohio Children’s hospitals.  They were asked about the crowded school hallways that we are seeing in other states.  Their answer was that children spend less than 15 minutes in the hallways, so if they are wearing masks (which they are supposed to do in Ohio) it would be okay.

Ohio is using close proximity for more than 15 minutes as the guide for whether or not someone should quarantine if they have been exposed.  Close proximity being closer than 6 feet.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 8:28am

And we all know what great judgement kids have...

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 10:53pm

I've been back in person for 2 days, largest class of 31, smallest 28.  The kids have been very good about masks, we clean desks  after each class, hand sanitizer between every class. But, we are less than 3 feet apart, and I'm required to offer mask breaks. My guess is it will take many cases for us to actually close, but neighboring district high school went to online for two weeks to reevaluate after 8 cases and 200+ quarantined. We are told that any student in the front row testing positive will put us into quarantine as well. I have no idea how this will be sustainable. I am exhausted. Wearing the mask while teaching, no breaks due to cleaning between classes, nervous kids. Its a lot. It was great to actually see them though, I can't imagine starting online having never even met. This is all such a nightmare. 

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 1:32pm

[url]https://nltimes.nl/2020/08/18/sharp-increase-covid-19-infections-children-since-june-30[/url] or https://nltimes.nl/2020/08/18/sharp-increase-covid-19-infections-children-since-june-30

With schools starting to reopen after summer vacation, several concerns have been raised about whether it is safe for children to return to classrooms, particularly those in high school. Since the end of June, the number of Covid-19 infections in children of all ages increased significantly, with the total number of infections among teenagers aged 15 to 19 showing almost a four-fold increase, according to figures from public health institute RIVM. No children died from the viral infection during that period. 

Between June 30th and August 18th, the number of 15 to 19 year olds diagnosed with a coronavirus infection rose from 311 to 1,524. At the end of June, three teens in this age group were hospitalized. That increased to five by August 18. In pre-teens and teens between the ages of 10 and 14, infections increased by 169 percent from 164 on June 30 to a total of 441 on August 18. Only one child in this age group was hospitalized in that period.

The number of infections were lower among younger kids, though they still showed a notable rise. On August 18, 200 children between the ages of 5 and 9 had been infected with coronavirus since early May, a figure which was at 87 on June 30. Among babies and toddlers aged 0 to 4, total infections increased by 62.5 percent, from 80 to 130. While the number of infections was lowest among the youngest group, they were also hospitalized due to the virus most often. From May 4 through the end of June, seven were hospitalized with a Covid-19 infection. In the six weeks that followed, three more children in this age group were in the hospital.

Schools in the Nederland Noord region were the first to reopen their doors after summer vacation on Monday. Unlike before the summer, pupils in both primary and secondary education have to go to school five days a week again. And pupils in secondary education no longer have to maintain social distancing with each other.

Karoly Illy, chairman of the Dutch Pediatric Association and member of the Outbreak Management Team (OMT), raised concerns about the lack of social distancing among teenagers, saying that these kids really need to keep at least 1 meter apart. The pediatricians are not afraid that the teens themselves will get ill, but that they will spread the virus to their parents, grandparents and teachers. "Now that the number of infections is increasing again, we must take timely measures to prevent young people from being blamed for new outbreaks. The very last thing we want is for schools to close again under social pressure. High school pupils have been at home for nearly six months. For them this really is a terrible situation. From a medical point of view, they hardly suffer from the virus, but socially they are by far the hardest hit."

Concerns were also raised about schools not having proper ventilation. Minister Arie Slob for Primary and Secondary Education opened a reporting point where schools can find information about this topic.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 12:22am
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2020 at 9:33pm

So now I'm "essential". No one seems to know exactly what this means. We teachers might not be quarantining at all? I have 4 students out of class, but we are not given any other information. As of now, we are just told to be ready with our seating charts 24/7. 

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 2:25am

Dr. John Campbell [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOO9t5HWYs[/url] or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOO9t5HWYs

Children as infection drivers. He earlier had a comment-"show me a virus children do not spread". Why would this Covid19 NOT spread via children when they are the main spreaders of all kind of other virusses ? At best "wishfull thinking" but "bad science". 

(Lots of info/links under the video)

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 9:57am

Update- I am 9 weeks into a school year fully in person. Smallest class is 27, largest 34. We wear masks full time, try to distance as much as possible, spray clean each desk between classes and use hand sanitizer before and after each class. The positive numbers are lower than I expected, a total of 5 confirmed cases in the district, 1 teacher, the rest students. My concern is that close contacts seem to just wait out the quarantine instead of getting tested. A lot of students are kept home due to symptoms, many get cleared from their own dr, often without testing,  some wait it out. I always wear a 3 ply mask, try to distance (while still doing my job)  and hope for the best. Numbers are increasing again in my area, Im doubtful it will change anything. 

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 12:03pm

A lot of schools are reporting lower than expected infections, from what I've read.  That's encouraging!

What's happening here is we're having major hotspots in Brooklyn and Queens. We've been zoned into red, orange and yellow. Red zones have closed businesses and schools. That's all fine and good, except here you have a unique situation. If a high school kid wants, s/he can apply to any high school in any borough in the City of New York. So you have students from red zones travelling into their schools in yellow and orange zones. I hope this tactic works to tamp down these hot spots, but I admit to feeling like a bit of a guinea pig being in a yellow zone with a high school with noted sports programs generally looked at by college scouts.

I hope all stays quiet for you AandEm!

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 2:36pm

Marcus Aurelius
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 5:49pm

That does sound confusing, and I understand the thought about being a Guinea pig. Thanks for the well wishes!

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 1:19pm

Here in Arizona, things are not looking so good! The governor did not create any state-wide requirements for schools to follow, so each district/charter came up with their own — and it has led to chaos.

My kids’ school has implemented NO social distancing, was not enforcing masks at all, and then acted stunned when an outbreak happened. Now, they are all over the place. The health department shut down one local high school due to students getting sick, but not others. It’s insane.  My kids are currently online, but the program leaves much to be desired.

FWIW, I saw today that according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, Arizona is 5th in the nation in COVID cases in children under the age of 19. Yay, Arizona. It’s directly attributable to our abysmal handling of sending kids back to in-person learning with NO intelligent, science-backed guidelines. 

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 2:34pm

My cousin is a high school teacher in Flagstaff.  He has railed long and loud about this dilemma, BeachMama.   He took a leave of absence back in January and told the administrators he's not coming back until Covid is under control.  Fortunately he's also working past retirement, so if he needs to he can simply say he's not coming back and retire.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 3:04pm

Wow. Without mask rules, I can't imagine.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 8:16pm

My little town is on fall break. The town 4 miles from me shut down and went to virtual learning 3 days ago and the town in the other direction, 8 miles away also went to virtual learning 4 days ago. All due to Covid-19. It's getting worse.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 6:57pm

The situation seems to be changing rapidly. Im still full time in person with large classes, but we've had a case/day for the last week. Neighboring districts 3/4 have gone virtual for two weeks due to lack of subs for either sick or quarantined teachers. Kids and teachers are confused, worried, and I think getting angry. One concern I have is the lack of incentive to get testing for close contacts. They don't let the kids come back any earlier with a negative test, in some places testing is free, in others it requires a dr. visit, and a positive obviously would require quarantine of the whole family- so they just wait out the 14 days, symptoms or not, and never test. Then, schools say there's no spread because none of the close contacts end up positive. Its a ridiculous system, happening all over the country. 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 9:24am

So, what do we think? Are schools enabling the spread, or are we just "victims" of community spread?  I'm too busy to search, and I can't seem to find much research. Are kids safer here being monitored and masking? Am I part of accelerating the spread? 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 1:35pm

I think your all Victims of the biggest fail ,

in Government.......

Community health,.......

70 million of you seem more concerned with "THEIR RIGHTS"

not giving a Damn about  your neighbours.......

All going with Bible in hand to church on a Sunday.....

Whatever happened to the "Good Samaritan" ethos......$$$$$$,££££££££,€€€€€€€......

https://biblehub.com/matthew/21-12.htm

Marcus Aurelius
Little House View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 4:34pm

AandEM, 

I have been thinking a lot about this.  Our County finally reached “Red” (It is an Ohio thing) and our local schools closed.  After two weeks, they decided that the schools were not the problem and opened up again. (The parents complained loudly and were heard.)  Two weeks after that the high school and a couple of other schools closed because they had so many kids and teachers in quarantine that they couldn’t really run the school. It really got me to thinking, but I haven’t seen any research.

I have kept track of the numbers both locally and nationally and I can tell you that in my county the “third wave” began about four weeks after school started. Nationally the “third wave” began a bit earlier, but then we do not have a national start date so it could still be related to schools.  My theory is that the youngest kids are spreading it but not getting sick, so unless the teachers get it, it is not really noticeable. But this is just a theory.  

On the other hand, the neighboring county has had hybrid or virtual school all year long and their numbers are worse than ours (per capita).  So who knows?

My gut tells me that schools are part of the problem, but there is just not enough data to prove it.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 7:41pm

Thanks for the reply. I wish so many things, but mostly I wish we could make research based decisions. In the spring, I (mistakenly) assumed we would have daily rapid tests, and I would feel mildly confident i could do this. It seems no one is in charge and everything is reactionary. I'm trapped in the middle of it all. 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 4:13pm

It finally got me.  15 weeks teaching in person.  Im on day 7 of symptoms. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic