Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Schools- your thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 4:50pm

Oh how awful!

Get well soon, Pal.

How bad are your symptoms?   What are your risk factors?  How are your nearest and dearest? 

You have my sympathy.  Please keep us informed of your progress.

I know I have said it already, but get well soon, Pal.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 4:52pm

I hope your symptoms are mild, AandEM!  Fast healing and keep us posted on your progress!

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 8:40pm

Thank you! Days 1-5 were terrible headache and body aches, tightening in the chest, fever, loss of smell, food had strange taste (not lack of taste, just wrong taste?) Worst was the aching that made it difficult to sleep. Slow improvement over the last two days. Testing has been a bit of an issue. My son tested positive on a rapid test, it took 8 days to get PCR back for me, and it was negative. The county health dept had me retest, but said 7-10 days for 2nd results. My employer is calling it a false negative and treating my absence like I was positive. The calls from the health dept didn't start until day 7, and have been very confusing as to when I am finished with quarantine because technically, I'm negative. My son had fever and headache for 2 days and then fine. The health dept says I must quarantine 14 more days after "caring for" my son, who actually took care of me the entire time. My husband and other son left to stay at son's college apt. They haven't developed any symptoms, but haven't received tests back yet. 

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 11:49pm

I am sorry to hear that.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 4:38am

Yes get well soon,

Plenty chicken soup... 

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 6:42am

Thanks for the well wishes. I would like opinions on my return to work. What is the latest on repeat infections? I will be swimming in a sea of exposure. We are somehow still face to face, full classes. Im concerned about my exhaustion and teaching through a mask for 8 hrs again.  I always had my mask on, my students have been decent about it, but certainly not perfect. 

Edited to add *obviously the logical choice would have been to resign and not participate in this little experiment in the first place, but that is not an option. 

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 8:28am

Hope you get well fast AandEm, and please keep us apprised.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by BeachMama BeachMama wrote:

Here in Arizona, things are not looking so good! The governor did not create any state-wide requirements for schools to follow, so each district/charter came up with their own — and it has led to chaos.

My kids’ school has implemented NO social distancing, was not enforcing masks at all, and then acted stunned when an outbreak happened. Now, they are all over the place. The health department shut down one local high school due to students getting sick, but not others. It’s insane.  My kids are currently online, but the program leaves much to be desired.

FWIW, I saw today that according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, Arizona is 5th in the nation in COVID cases in children under the age of 19. Yay, Arizona. It’s directly attributable to our abysmal handling of sending kids back to in-person learning with NO intelligent, science-backed guidelines. 

Hi BM, thanks!  I'm a former HS teacher at the Sahuarita AZ USD, gave it up because I didn't need the money & they were too political for my tastes.  I asked about laptops for the kids (this is the 21st century), they told me they didn't believe in that.  

Well, OK, now we are approaching 1 year into the pandemic, nothing is working at SUSD!  Check this out: 

https://www.gvnews.com/susd-high-schools-return-to-fully-remote-learning-friday/article_e64522c8-35a3-11eb-bff4-dbf3fb7278a8.html#utm_source=gvnews.com&utm_campaign=%2Fsusd-high-schools-return-to-fully-remote-learning-friday%2Farticle-e64522c8-35a3-11eb-bff4-dbf3fb7278a8.html%3Fmode%3Demail%26-dc%3D1607028963&utm_medium=auto%20alert%20email&utm_content=headline

The Sahuarita Unified School District will move all high school students to fully remote learning starting Friday. 

In an announcement Thursday, the district cited the number of positive cases on campus as well as quarantined individuals, absenteeism rates and staffing levels at Walden Grove and Sahuarita high schools as the reasons for the move back to remote learning. 

The announcement comes after Pima County experienced its highest monthly count of COVID-19 cases in November. 

The final week of exams, Dec. 14-17, was already planned to operate remotely for high school students. 

High school students will remain in the remote learning structure for the remainder of the semester. 

The district's goal is to bring high school students back to the hybrid model at the beginning of the second semester. 

CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 3:54pm

OK I understand why teachers would be wary of classroom teaching,

Why can't the teachers stay remote and teach a class of children via video link.....

That Way kids get to mingle 

Teacher safe..... 

Or in a enclosure in class with own air supply usually called a window?

Duty of care I guess ?

There's always a way......

Take care all stay safe...... 😷😉

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 6:31pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

Why can't the teachers stay remote and teach a class of children via video link.....

That Way kids get to mingle 

Yeah... that'll work.. uh huh!   I take it there are no teachers in your family, Carbon?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 10:25pm

School of the Air is a generic term for correspondence schools catering for the primary and early secondary education of children in remote and outback Australia where some or all classes were historically conducted by radio, although this is now replaced by telephone and internet technology.

they been remote learning for years down here.....

Daughters a teacher,

university though not school....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 10:26pm

Don't know why that's highlighted....

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 5:15am

Repeat infections do occur, but they seem to be rare enough not to be a sensible worry.  You could count them on your fingers and still have fingers left over.  So you might as well worry about huge asteroids or Yellowstone errupting.  You are probably completely immune now.

As to exhaustion and wearing a mask all day.  Just a thought, but could you get a doctor's note?  Maybe if he made a good case, you could return at reduced hours during convelescence; perhaps even take "mask breaks" for 5 minutes every half hour.

Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 5:26am

That is terrible advice. You can have up to 4 weeks partial pay off for covid with the care act money from the federal government  unless your school district is cheating and uses it for something  else!  You need to continue safe ppe and social distance. You are weak and even a flu or common cold could take you out  again. Best of luck and  wishes for good health

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 5:37am

Both good points, Usk!  I was unaware of the federal funding.

I feel however my "mask breaks" were misunderstood.  I Meant, go outside, away from everyone else and take a break.  I really should have been more specific there.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 10:58am

Thank you all, I appreciate the advice. I was paid for the 8 school days that I have missed from the federal program. (My absence included holidays when the school was closed.) I am set to return on Thursday. Im going to give it a few days and see how I am doing. 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 4:08pm

I am on day 15 of illness, and I returned to the classroom today. It was more difficult than I expected. I still have fatigue and aches, but everything else is better. 

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 5:46pm

Don't push yourself too hard.  Give your body some time to recover.  

Maybe a little push, but not too hard.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 7:50pm

Thanks for the replies. I've taken a turn for the better, feeling thankful. I've taught for 25 years   (germ factories) and I've never been close to that sick.  

It is pretty clear that our school will stay open, in person, placing any warm body as substitutes in classrooms. My building has had 6 teacher cases so far. The plans that once declared schools should move online after double digit positivity rate, have now left all decisions up to superintendents/boards.  Hospitals have been told to stop elective surgeries, but all bars/restaurants/gyms are fully open. So... they've made more room for people to die, bankrupt hospitals, but won't close part of the reason people are needing the hospitals in the first place. This scenario has been compared to running around gathering all of your belongings to flee a small, manageable kitchen fire instead of even attempting to put it out first. 

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 4:04am

Yep!   .....  'And running leaving the pets and granny indoors when you go.......

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 6:12am

Originally posted by AandEM AandEM wrote:

(germ factories) 

My niece calls her fourth graders mobile balls of infectious snot.

And I second Technophobe.  Resect the fatigue!

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2020 at 6:26pm

Ha- yes they are! 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 6:45am

We used to say on the Aircraft Carrier that we were one large petri dish. I can't tell you how many times I had strep throat or double ear infections on that boat. Always going to sick call for a jab of antibiotics!  All of that stopped once I was stationed on shore.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 10:27pm

If the US may have seen between 50 and 100 million infected cases-most of them not tested/reported then spread via schools most likely is the main motor behind the pandemic. 

Young people do get infected, spread the virus-most often without any major symptoms..."stealth spread" under the radar...Since mild infections most likely will give less immunity the risks for reinfection in younger people may be higher. It may be that getting a covid-infection multiple times results not in Covid19 but in multi-inflamatory reactions with the immune system getting out of control...

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_disease[/url] or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_disease On the longer term having those kind of infections may cause auto-immune issues...(statistics can give an indication-in general 90% of auto immune diseases show up in women). 

The only sensible thing to do with schools during a pandemic is close ALL schools. Of course some of the young persons may meet outside schools-but their "main social enviroment"will be the family. Communications should press the message that different ages run different risks. 

The way this pandemic has had room to develop may mean closing ALL schools for months-reopening them in august 21. (Ad random testing in all population during a long term lock down may give indications on virus spread-the idea of only testing people with symptoms is insane...Also in june this year the WHO claimed a/pre symptomatic people did not spread the virus is-evidently-very very wrong...

in NL we have gotten to the point that parents and teachers may decide to close (most) schools-demand e-learning. Whatever our government decides. Politics and experts have showed to fail to often...

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 10:37pm

[url]https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/eat.23353[/url] or https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/eat.23353 ;

Method

Participants in the United States (US, N = 511) and the Netherlands (NL, N = 510), recruited through ongoing studies and social media, completed an online survey that included both quantitative measures and free‐text responses assessing the impact of COVID‐19 on situational circumstances, eating disorder symptoms, eating disorder treatment, and general well‐being.

Results

Results revealed strong and wide‐ranging effects on eating disorder concerns and illness behaviors that were consistent with eating disorder type. Participants with anorexia nervosa (US 62% of sample; NL 69%) reported increased restriction and fears about being able to find foods consistent with their meal plan. Individuals with bulimia nervosa and binge‐eating disorder (US 30% of sample; NL 15%) reported increases in their binge‐eating episodes and urges to binge. Respondents noted marked increases in anxiety since 2019 and reported greater concerns about the impact of COVID‐19 on their mental health than physical health. 

DJ-If adults fail this much stress will translate to more eating disorders, auto-mutilation etc. in teenagers/children. Depression in (even very young) children will escalate...Growing risk of a "lost" generation. 

What is failing in countries with a "market oriented (lack of) government"is long term strategies. Governments are the only ones in the position to act-but do not see that role-schools, companies do not have the information, money to go for long term changes needed to deal with this kind of pandemic. 

Countries in wich the government picks up a more active role may see a better outcome for all.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 3:17pm

I agree. What I have seen relates precisely to community spread. Schools blame the community, but I think we have been driving or at least facilitating the spread. 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 7:39pm

Tonight has been horrifying. I have friends in my previous school dealing with a massive outbreak among staff. One administrator continued to show up to work for 2 days with a persistent cough. Others needed to check in with him, and stood in his doorway (more than 6ft, mostly masked, however he was not.)  Those two days have lead to 9 confirmed cases, 3 more ill with test results pending. The Superintendent of the school system planned to continue in person until the remaining teachers warned of a sick out. Things are completely out of control. Very little leadership. Also, we are told to "keep our thoughts and political beliefs" quiet, in case you were wondering why these stories aren't more common. 

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by AandEM AandEM wrote:

Things are completely out of control. Very little leadership. Also, we are told to "keep our thoughts and political beliefs" quiet, in case you were wondering why these stories aren't more common.

Sounds like the USA in general.....

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 3:43am

AandEM, I am horrified, not surprised, but horrified.

Your story seems to be par for the course in the US.  Economic factors seem to have taken precedence over life.  I can say: "That is the way the government has guided things." but that does not reflect the everyday horror of getting sick and watching people die.  

I wish I could be of some real help.  All I can actually do is rant and comiserate.

Oh, and as for community spread:  kids may not suffer with the virus very often, but that does not mean they can't spread it.  The previous comments of: "snot balls" sum them up.  Healthy people, who put their hands on things which are contaminated, spread stuff too.   The whole: "kids are safe" attitude is a joke - just not a very funny one.:(  

Yes, education is so vital that schools should open first and shut last; ...... but last is not never!  Even those which have to stay open should insist on masks, rotate teachers rather than pupils, use blended learning and if possible use shift systems and class bubbles.  

Kids not dying is good.  But dying teachers, parents and grandparents is bad enough.

I would like to say: "Rant over."  but frankly, I've barely started.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 9:51am

Also, we are told to "keep our thoughts and political beliefs" quiet, in case you were wondering why these stories aren't more common.

Your political views aren't the problem, theirs are.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 9:58am

WELL SAID!

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 12:52pm

ViQueen,

Of all the memes I have seen regarding this situation, that is the best. Kudos.

I am in utter disbelief about where our country (I live in the US) has ended up in this pandemic. It has become a farce. Our conduct is a monstrosity. I can only pray that when President-Elect Biden takes office in January, things will change. I’m hoping for a complete 180, but realistically I know that people’s attitudes won’t change that easily. Such is the legacy of our current political theater.

I am going to be starting my student teaching on January 4th. The district I’ll be working with, while still conducting in-person classes, is at least requiring masks for students and employees and is implementing strong mitigation policies. I pray that is enough to get me through this experience uninfected, as I do have risk factors.

I’m also hoping that my own kids will remain safe at their school, which has been allowed by the county to stay lax in their approach; my kids wear masks while others refuse. Unbelievable.

I hope that you and your family are doing well, AandEM!

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 6:55pm

I am the director of a part-time Homeschool program where the kiddos come to our school twice a week for instruction then they/parents do the rest of the work the other days of the week.  Parent picked us the year because they wouldn't be in school 5 days a week but still get the interaction.  You wouldn't believe how mad they were when we had to quarantine for 2 weeks.  We had two teachers positive, 4 kids awaiting results and the health dept. requires us to shut down for 2 weeks in that scenario.  Parents were furious!  Its crazy!

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 9:43am

My county in Colorado is staying remote until at least Feb. 22 and then we will start back hybrid.  What are the schools in your areas doing?

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 3:48pm

I am in Fairfax  County Va. two months ago they opened  hybrid for under 1 grade and special  ed and 1st year ESOL students. It was a disaster. We had outbreaks in every school. Now we are online only until end of Feb as well

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2020 at 6:31pm

Our schools are still going face to face even after major outbreaks for staff and students. I thought we might go online after winter break, but the % positivity is in the double digits, and we continue to pretend it isn't happening. 

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 3:54pm

My symptoms are lingering. Mostly headache, easily exhausted, back ache. Some days are better than others.  I think it relates to being very easily dehydrated. School is still full time in person. County unique individual positivity is above 30%. Another teacher had tested positive in August, fully recovered, and tested  positive with symptoms again last week.

BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 9:52am

Well, I officially start my student teaching tomorrow. Interesting fact? My mentor teacher tested positive for Covid on Sunday. Our first two days will be virtual, but I start going in-person with her on Monday.

Living in Arizona, it is easy to get angry about our state’s “who gives a &*%!” attitude toward schools and Covid. While our state superintendent is begging the governor (Doug Ducey) to direct schools back to virtual learning, he is flat-out refusing to do so. Some districts are virtual. Some are hybrid. Some, like the one I’ll be ST in and the charter my kids attend, are in person entirely. It’s an inconsistent three-ring circus.

I had to do my ST this semester because otherwise my university said I would start losing credits. With the new variant out there, and two kids plus myself in the classroom, I’m beginning to realize it’s not if, but WHEN I will get this virus. I’m just praying that my scarred lung and severe asthma don’t count as serious complicating factors for when it happens.

Damn the people who are playing with other’s lives. They have blood on their hands, as far as I’m concerned. 

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 10:38am

A and Em, BeachMama, I'm shaking my head.  Please take care of yourselves! 

As far as I'm concerned, there's potentially blood on the hands of everyone who goes out without a mask, or wears it under their nose.  There's blood on the hands of all the workplaces who are not properly protecting their employees.  Of Trump, who downplayed, minimized, ignored, and lied.  And all their enablers.

AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:53pm

I thought I would give a quick post covid update. I am feeling much better, still a few lingering issues when I am overtired or under stress (teaching) but, I am thankful it's not worse. 

My state has changed their plans to no longer prioritizing teachers for the vaccine. We are also in the middle of state legislators passing bills that cut funding for public schools and funnel it to private/religious affiliated schools. There's talk of walk outs unless we get the vaccine and improved conditions, but public opinion seems to be swaying from last spring when we were valued to this spring we're vilified. 

I spoke with a friend who says there's lots of evidence that my antibodies are probably wearing off after 3 months. This is a major concern for me. I've got 3 more months to get through. 

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 9:08am

Glad to hear you're better, A and Em.  Please keep your guard up and pray you continue to improve!

I am the DZ Queen, and I approve this message.
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 5:54pm

Thank you!

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 12:21am

[url]https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/local-regional-communities-and-organizations/schools-public-private/908243-us-iowa-over-3-000-kids-in-iowa-have-now-gotten-coronavirus-since-gov-reynolds-signed-sf160-to-force-schools-to-provide-100-in-person-without-requiring-safety-precautions-on-jan-29[/url] or https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/local-regional-communities-and-organizations/schools-public-private/908243-us-iowa-over-3-000-kids-in-iowa-have-now-gotten-coronavirus-since-gov-reynolds-signed-sf160-to-force-schools-to-provide-100-in-person-without-requiring-safety-precautions-on-jan-29 ; BREAKING: Over 3,000 kids in Iowa have now gotten coronavirus since Gov. Reynolds signed SF160 to force schools to provide 100% in-person, without requiring safety precautions, on Jan. 29. Today, Iowa reported 114 new cases for kids under age 18. That's 3,019 in 26 days Today, Iowa reported 114 new cases for kids under age 18.

DJ-Parents can not do their jobs when the children are at home, (some) experts keep claiming children "do somehow not get infected/spread the virus" while they may be tho motor behind the pandemic...

[url]https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/-2019-ncov-studies-research-academia/908240-covid-19-more-young-children-are-being-infected-in-israel-and-italy-emerging-data-suggest[/url] or https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/-2019-ncov-studies-research-academia/908240-covid-19-more-young-children-are-being-infected-in-israel-and-italy-emerging-data-suggest ; Experts have warned that schools must be reopened with caution, amid emerging evidence from Israel and Italy that more young children are being infected with new variants of covid-19.

Paediatricians in Israel, which has surged ahead in vaccinating its adult population, reported a sharp rise in covid-19 infections among young people, with more than 50 000 children and teens testing positive in January—more than Israel saw in any month during the first and second waves.

... Cyrille Cohen, head of the laboratory of Immunotherapy at Israel’s Bar-Ilan University and member of the country’s national covid-19 vaccine clinical trial advisory committee, told The BMJ that his figures indicated that, since the emergence of the UK variant B1.1.7 in Israel in mid-December, the proportion of new daily cases accounted for by children aged under 10 had risen by nearly a quarter (23%).

... Similar warnings are emerging from Italy after a spike in case in the village of Corzano, in the northern province of Brescia. On 3 February 10% of its total population of 1400 (140) were reported to have tested positive for the virus, 60% of whom were children of primary or infant school age. ...

DJ-Also her in NL cases in children rising-also more MIS-C (Multi Inflamatory Syndrom in Children) reported.

[url]https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/-2019-ncov-studies-research-academia/908241-testing-mobile-air-purifiers-in-a-school-classroom-reducing-the-airborne-transmission-risk-for-sars-cov-2[/url] or https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/-2019-ncov-studies-research-academia/908241-testing-mobile-air-purifiers-in-a-school-classroom-reducing-the-airborne-transmission-risk-for-sars-cov-2 ;Airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 through virus-containing aerosol particles has been established as an important pathway for Covid-19 infection. Suitable measures to prevent such infections are imperative, especially in situations when a high number of persons convene in closed rooms. Here we tested the efficiency and practicability of operating four air purifiers equipped with HEPA filters in a high school classroom while regular classes were taking place. We monitored the aerosol number concentration for particles >3 nm at two locations in the room, the aerosol size distribution in the range from 10 nm to 10 µm, PM10 and CO2 concentration. For comparison, we performed similar measurements in a neighboring classroom without purifiers. In times when classes were conducted with windows and door closed, the aerosol concentration was reduced by more than 90% within less than 30 minutes when running the purifiers (air exchange rate 5.5 h 1). The reduction was homogeneous throughout the room and for all particle sizes. The measurements are supplemented by a calculation estimating the maximum concentration levels of virus-containing aerosol from a highly contagious person speaking in a closed room with and without air purifiers. Measurements and calculation demonstrate that air purifiers potentially represent a well-suited measure to reduce the risks of airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 substantially. Staying for two hours in a closed room with a highly infective person, we estimate that the inhaled dose is reduced by a factor of six when using air purifiers with a total air exchange rate of 5.7 h 1.

DJ-Most schools "are not doing very good in ventilation". Spending cuts may even bring other problems (teachers having to clean the toilets, leaky roofs etc.). If societies realy care about children why then not spend more money on schools ? 

~Albert Einstein
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 9:04am

Colorado schools in my district are all going back to 5-day a week in person starting March 22.  Fingers crossed this goes well!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
AandEM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandEM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 7:47pm

I am excited to report that I have an appointment for the vaccine! I'm getting J and J, and about half of our staff will be getting it over the same few days, the other half weren't able to get appointments due to websites crashing. We are only able to sign up with the Federal programs, not through the state or county system. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic