Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Gestalt#24 – SARS-2 Pandemic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gestalt#24 – SARS-2 Pandemic
    Posted: July 19 2020 at 9:51am

I bought googles way back when in Feb...along with the N95s I was able to buy off the shelf. At the time I was only thinking of maybe if the hospitals start requiring masks like they do during the flu season at times, I would be prepared...little did I realize the extent of wearing masks!
I wish I had bought at least 3 more boxes of N95s out of the hundreds on the shelf I saw...
I wear my glasses at all times now, have contacts, but haven't worn them since March. Will wear goggles over them if necessary.
Our area is starting to become a hotspot, but I don't go out or see others much.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 9:29am

I haven't been out much, but haven't seen or read about anyone wearing goggles here.  After a covid scare last week (negative) I've decided that the rare times I have to go out I will wear goggles over my glasses, and a shield over both.  And of course masks.  A valved n-95 with a procedure and/or cloth mask over it to protect others.

Just the *anxiety* of not knowing for a week (a test 3 days from the time of feeling crappy, then 4 days for test results) if I was negative was enough to convince me to take what some will see as ridiculous precautions.

And I don't care. 

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 4:36pm

by monotreme1000
18 July 2020

Goggles

Most people know that they need a mask if they want to avoid getting infected with SARS-2. But most do not wear goggles. Maybe they should.

Although many people are likely getting infected via their noses and mouths, it is possible to get infected through the eyes. It is probably not possible to assign a number to the probability of getting infected through they eyes. But goggles are cheap and easy to wear. The intelligent prepper will have a pair. Look for safety goggles rather than safety glasses. You will want protection all the way around your eyes.

Facing reality

There are many ways to adapt to the pandemic and other threats down the road: decentralization, work-from-home, tele-education, tele-health, etc. But some types of business are doomed. Bars, inside dining only restaurants, etc. aren't going to make it. Time to face reality.

War with China, again

China inches toward 'liberating' Taiwan after HK security law: Washington Post

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3961578

There are more mainstream news stories about a hot war with China. John Pomfret is a reputable source. Here is what he has to say:

The recent passage of the controversial Hong Kong national security law could serve as Beijing's blueprint for solving the "Taiwan problem," according to a Washington Post editorial.

Pomfret said the law could offer a potential model of how Beijing would deal with Taiwan.

He also quoted China's Modern Think-Tank Forum President Li Su (李肅), who is a strong advocate for taking Taiwan by force, as saying that the national security law was a critical step in the Chinese liberation of the island nation and that the invasion would occur sometime around 2021.

Pomfret recalled meeting Li in 2019 and said he was appalled by the hardliner's determination to control Taiwan, even if war is required.

He said Li has described Hong Kong's security law as Beijing's "test case" for solving cross-strait issues while warning that all democracy activists and student leaders in Taiwan would be brought to China for sentencing.

In the past, China's biological weapons program was recognized by mainstream sources:

CHINA MAY HAVE REVIVED GERM WEAPONS PROGRAM, U.S. OFFICIALS SAY

By R. Jeffrey Smith

February 24, 1993

The U.S. intelligence community is worried that China may have revived and possibly expanded its offensive germ weapons program, according to current and former U.S. intelligence officials.

[snip]

The officials said U.S. intelligence concerns about China are partly based on evidence that China is pursuing biological research at two ostensibly civilian-run research centers that U.S. officials say are actually controlled by the Chinese military.

In more recent times, information regarding China's biological weapons has been censored by several administrations and major scientific organizations.

The most recent attempts, such as claiming that SARS-2 must be natural because Chinese scientists say they don't have any similar viruses in their freezers is almost laughably stupid.

Yet, that seems to be the "official" position. It is exceedingly dangerous to have people in positions of authority who are, at best, hopelessly naïve. Of course, that is probably not the only explanation:

Acclaimed Harvard Scientist Is Arrested, Accused Of Lying About Ties To China

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/28/800442646/acclaimed-harvard-scientist-is-arrested-accused-of-lying-about-ties-to-china

US charges three researchers with lying about links to China

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51288854

Moffitt Cancer Center details links of fired scientists to Chinese talent programs

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/moffitt-cancer-center-details-links-fired-scientists-chinese-talent-programs

There are likely many more scientists who have been paid off by the Chinese government in different ways.

It's not always money. Sometimes it's young women.

These compromised scientists don't necessarily have anything to do with coronavirus research. But you can bet they will adhere to the "Party Line" whenever asked about this issue.

Politicians (and journalists!) have also taken various forms of compensation from the Chinese government or their agents.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic