Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Pandemic Alert Level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pandemic Alert Level
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 4:54pm

Hi Albert. From what i can see is the Wuflu is a powderpuff. Most of the media reports are overblown. The number of deaths are minuscule. From what i can see is we are living in a state of "Mass Hysteria". 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_hysteria_cases

For us to move forward we need to calm everything down. My suggestion is to move from Defcon 6

Thoughts?

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 6:41pm

Just my two cents...

I don't see mass hysteria here, but I'll admit the media (at least here in the U.S.) is a bit overblown for ratings purposes.  Time will tell if the CFR remains "minuscule".  It hasn't here in the U.S. and we have no idea about Latin America or the Middle East.  

EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 2:35am

Cobber, remind me again of what sort of data (eg cases per 100 000; or deaths per million; or CFR) that would mark the upper limit of what you call a "powder puff".

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:01am

Powderpuff?!?!?!  (God, I want an interrobang on my keyboard!)

Yes it is fairly safe for the young (probably, but it could still surprise us) but oldies like me and my Hubby are at huge risk.  Ok so we are neither young nor beautiful, but we matter deeply to each other and are genuinely scared..  True it has not killed that many yet, but it has barely started its "first wave".  Ask anyone who works in any medical setting.  They are overrun!  The only reason it is so small in effct so far, is the gargantuan efforts to control it.

Finally, every deqth counts.  EVERY death.  All people are someone's son/daughter/lover/parent or sibling.  

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:22am

Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Powderpuff?!?!?!  (God, I want an interrobang on my keyboard!)

As an aside, my niece was an editor on Interrobang and was in charge of their social media while she was in college.  

p.s.  I didn't bring up that we haven't even gotten into the second wave yet, which historically is the worst wave of a pandemic.  

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 7:56am

And in the States at least, "only" 1% of the population has been infected.  How 'bout in the rest of the world?  I think we ain't seen nothin' yet!  And as many have said, what happens in a few years, 5, 10, 20?  How many of those infected die of Covid-related complications?  And this virus right now is keeping people sick for months -- go on Facebook and read Conronavirus Survivor Corps.  I would call this virus a lot of things, but "powderpuff" ain't one of 'em!  Albert, keep it at 6, please!

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 10:02am

Its over blown. It was from day one. I would bet everything that we wont hear anything about covid after the November election. or BLM.

I stand by what i said in February. You can probably look it up.

The death rate would be 0.3%. (Mainly very elderly)

The virus peak would be in August

Don't get me wrong. Its deadly to many people and i'm sure there are complications for some. But in the grand scheme of things its not that bad. 

The thing which surprised me out of all of this was the hysterical reaction. It has been much more than i expected.

Its my opinion.   Time will tell.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:26pm

The Spanish flu had a CFR of .3 until the second wave.  Then it sky rocketed.  We're not there yet, Cobber.   And your prediction of the very elderly comprising most of the cases was wrong.  Very wrong unless you consider people in their 40's and 50's very elderly.

The only thing that will stop this virus is a vaccine with a high enough efficacy to create herd immunity (70%) out of the vaccine starting gate. We can't even get a flu vaccine that effective in all the years they've been working on it. So it is unlikely.

I'll go on record by saying we will still be hearing about this after the U.S. elections in November in a very big way.  The only thing that could eclipse this story is a world-wide economic crash.  Even then, you'll still be hearing loads.  

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 1:17pm

In the United States, an elderly person is defined as someone who has reached the chronological age of 65 years old. The stage is further divided into two sections; those that lie between the ages of 65 to 74 years old called the early elderly, and those that are over the age of 75 years who are referred to as late elderly.

informedseniorliving.com/what-age-is-legally-considered-elderly/

8 out of 10 COVID-19 related deaths reported in the United States have been in adults 65 years old and older.

#factsmatter

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
jofg899 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jofg899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 2:08pm

I know I'm in a minority here. but I gotta say I side (mostly) with cobbler.  The vast majority of deaths are in older people (65+) and those with underlying conditions.  Yes, EVERY LIFE MATTERS and EVERY DEATH IS A PERSON.  In no way should discussing lower death rate or lower severity discount that fact that any death is sad and unfortunate,  However thousands of people die every day from a myriad reasons.  

We have not really seen a big reduction in this thing so I really wonder if there will be a second wave. Which is odd - because the aerosol spread USUALLY means spread drops in the summer (humidity will cause many droplets to fall to the ground quickly) climate. Not really seeing that with COVID so it's either behaving very differently than other aerosol spread viruses or may have another serious transmission rate that is being overlooked/discounted (particle - especially fecal oriented - was an initial vector but seems to not be discussed much anymore). 

While the reported positive cases are not large (relatively speaking) yet, the CDC admits that the actual spread of the virus is 10 to 24 times the positive cases.  So it is out there with very mild cases way more than is being reported.

CDC has also been adjusting death rate lower - I think the current best estimate is .6%  While definitely higher than seasonal flu, it is VASTLY lower than Spanish Flu or other serious pandemics. 

I guess if you are comparing this to "the flu" then yeah this is a big deal....but comparing it to a serious pandemic...a "bird flu" type pandemic that many (like me have prepped for over the decades, well this is not that. And I'm really beginning to wonder of the extreme lock down measures have really made that huge a difference.  Flatten the curve sure....but this will burn through the population but is the cure doing more damage to people in the long run than the disease? 

Personally my DEFCON has dropped from 6 (where I was too in Feb/March) to probably a 3 or 4 at present......

Just my two cents  :-)

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 2:28pm

We're not talking about demographics.  Cobber mentioned old.  65 is not all that old.  Not these days. But thank you for the insight on what you consider elderly.  

AI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 3:26pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

We're not talking about demographics.  Cobber mentioned old.  65 is not all that old.  Not these days. But thank you for the insight on what you consider elderly.  

No he said elderly and you said elderly do you need to go back and see what he said and you said LOL. And it's not what I consider elderly that matters, I guess the legal and medical definitions of elderly aren't good enough for you since it shows you'r wrong. Changed your mind on calling out the CDC stats huh. LOL And are you really trying (and trying badly I might add ) to deny the fact the elderly are the majority negatively affected by COVID and requiring hospitalization as well as the most represented demographic (yes we are talking a demographic) in COVID deaths in the US?  

“Facts don't care about your feelings.”
― Ben Shapiro
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 3:26pm

I wonder if Covid 

Killed off the 18 to 35 year olds as did the Spanish flu reactions would be different ?

I understand what cobber means by "powderpuff"

For the last 30 odd years I've been waiting for a "Slatewiper"

Is this "the big ONE" 

not sure yet, 

it's certainly not on the scale if the zombie movies,

But I feel it's more insidious.....

When I was a kid, 

My dad would say a drizzling rain will wet you through just as much as a storm....

This might be slow and knocking off the sick and elderly

But I will repeat what I said in another post,

This is a 

"NOVEL" VIRUS.......we know nothing yet

Viruses mutate.....!!!!!!!!

Hope your getting my drift.....

No-one is safe.....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 4:08pm

The Spanish flu did start by killing elderly and infants, for the most part.  Yes there were a lot of deaths among soldiers in the first wave, but it didn't kill 20 to 40 in a big way on the home front until the second wave.  

I hesitate to point this out, but could you be desensitized, could we all be desensitized because of Hollywood disaster/apocalypse movies?  

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 4:17pm

The Spanish flu did start by killing elderly and infants, for the most part.  Yes there were a lot of deaths among soldiers in the first wave, but it didn't kill 20 to 40 in a big way on the home front until the second wave.  

I hesitate to point this out, but could you be desensitized, could we all be desensitized because of Hollywood disaster/apocalypse movies?  

Absolutely.....

desensitised on a lot of fronts sadly......

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 4:28pm

Now I'm in my 60s....

I like to think of elderly as 90+......

LMAO

Marcus Aurelius
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:17pm

Do we assume death is the only bad result to Covid?  I don't think I'm exaggerating or catastrophisizing when I predict a lot of people are gonna be permanently sidelined as a result of this virus.  We learned last week that autopsy results showed a lot of blood clots. Here is an article about a 27-year-old ballplayer who had Covid, who is now having heart issues:

https://apnews.com/d0113460a9c4b89ba5fdde2d9630938e

The article says that 10-20% of people who have had Covid have been diagnosed with myocarditis.  Myocarditis can scar the heart.  Permanently.

if you take a look at this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/does-covid-19-cause-heart-damage-a-cardiologist-explains-the-new-research/ar-BB17leBN

Especially the second study, although small, is at this time quite concerning.  For one thing, 2/3 of the cases were not serious enough to require hospitalization, and yet 60% had ongoing myocardial inflammation.  And these were middle-aged folks, not elderly.  My prediction is there will be a lot of disabled, not terribly employable people at the end of all this.  And that's a hell of a negative result in my book, no matter how many/few deaths we're looking at.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:22pm

Good post ViQueen.  That's my point.  One can treat the "elderly" as disposable risk statistic, but with what's happening to younger patients, even those who don't get sick enough to be hospitalized, this illness is devastating.  

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

Now I'm in my 60s....

LMAO

So when you're talking about "the majority" you're think you're talking about someone else.  SURPRISE!!!!

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:23pm

Yep.  +1, Witchy.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 6:46pm

Good post ViQueen.  That's my point.  One can treat the "elderly" as disposable risk statistic, but with what's happening to younger patients, even those who don't get sick enough to be hospitalized, this illness is devastating.  

Yep, Witchy, and if we could get out of this without a lot of deaths, disabilities and secondary conditions/co-morbidities, we will be very lucky and I will be delighted to be wrong.  But I just can't see it happening, not with what history shows about second waves.  I would be really shocked to see the the kids and young adults skate free during the second wave.  And our fearless (clueless) leaders running around without masks on, potentially infecting others, and others (Rand Paul) going to the gym while waiting for test results:

https://www.businessinsider.com/senators-criticize-rand-paul-reportedly-going-gym-after-coronavirus-test-2020-3

(Sorry, I just found out about that today and it really p!$$ed me off.)

Rollingsalmon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollingsalmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 7:07pm

If we go with the .3%. 

There are roughly 345,000,000 Americans.

Countless epidemiologists have said roughly 70% of Americans will eventually get the virus. So: 241,500,000

So 241,500,000 X 0.3% = 724,500  dead Americans.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 3:50am

Now I'm in my 60s....

LMAO

So when you're talking about "the majority" you're think you're talking about someone else.  SURPRISE!!!!

Sorry... I should not post past 8pm my time.  My vision issues are exacerbated because the brain needs sleep!  I got confused between you and Cobber! LOL

And FWIW, Cobber said very elderly... I consider anyone who lives past the average to be in the very elderly category.  I think that's like 82.  But I'm sure AI will correct me.  

jofg899 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 7:09am

Playing devil's advocate here - 724,500 American may die....but MILLIONS of Americans are out of work, may lose their homes, have marriages and lives that are being destroyed, are depressed, suicidal, turning to crime and drugs and violence, 

If you are over 65 and/or have underlying health conditions this is definitely a serious, concerning virus.  If you are in your teens, 20s, 30s, etc then the way we are reacting to this virus is definitely a serious, concerning consequence. 

Are we doing the right thing by protecting everyone from the virus when we should be focused on protecting those most at risk?

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 7:16am

Evidence seems to be mounting of increase in problems of  under 65 having mild illness but long lasting after-effects, some perhaps permanent, we don't know yet.  Protecting only those we know are vulnerable but leave the rest to take their chances is rather like playing Russian Roulette.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:28am

Exactly, Witchy!  As this virus mutates and evolves, we must evolve with it.  We can't let our perceptions be set in stone, or our responses set in concrete.  If we had treated this virus like a war enemy, and acted like we do with anyone we are at war with, we'd have been far better off.  Never underestimate, and be prepared for anything.  Gather intelligence, keep gathering intelligence, and be prepared to switch strategies on a moment's notice.  Develop lots of different weapons.  Have no mercy!

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:33am

When Covid first hit. There were a few here who ran the numbers. We got a rough R0 I think we pegged it at R2.5. I cant even remember as i've been so disinterested.

We were very concerned about the slate wiper. The initial reports were super scary. I don't think i slept for a few nights. I was data hungry and trawled the web endlessly to get accurate figures. The Chinese numbers were obviously falsified. The R0 was hard to tie down as a result. We knew essentially it was going to spread exponentially and be difficult to stop.

Then we had the cruise ships... It was a gift. This gave us an accurate CFR

A totally contained system where we could study the transmission. We knew all the data. Ages, Symptoms, Deaths(RIP) Etc.

I worked up a Case fatality Rate. 0.3%. There were many other doing the same. I published the numbers and method. I checked it by several other methods. I was confident in the figures. 

This is the thing however. Other virologists were doing exactly the same thing. Their numbers were coming in close to 0.3%. There was some variations, but similar ranges.  But all we kept hearing on the news was 3-5% death rate. 

From Italy i believe the media published a CFR of 13%. 

I'm waiting for someone to call Bull$hit, but it never came. The media let the public stew in a pot of fear. Every day more and more. I couldn't believe my eyes. They continue to this day to stoke fear. Your kids brains will explode. Ah your heart if F**ked.

So i'm a little jaded on the whole thing. I still call it a total beat up. My original figure of 0.3% is probably now even lower as treatment has gotten better. I haven't even looked. 

History will tell. I believe we will look back on this and say what were we thinking. It may take 20 years, but some where in a medical journal a little comment at the end of the page it will say powderpuff.

PS: elderly i meant 80-90

jofg899 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:36am

This virus is novel - but Corona viruses are not. Is this any different than when a new variant of influenza shows up?  Or a new variant of other Corona viruses?  Or other new/novel viruses (or bacterial infections for that matter).  As we all know there are new "bugs" coming out all the time. Stay aware, study, investigate, sure.  but it seems like the REACTION to COVID  has moved to a pretty extreme level considering what it is currently doing vs what we worry it MIGHT DO.  There are many diseases that MIGHT change and evolve and mutate into something bad....but that's kind of life.

Maybe this is just a case of how different people perceive risk....I don't know..... 

jofg899 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:42am

Oh and forgot to add, per the CDC (updated June 30):

For most people, the immediate risk of becoming seriously ill from the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low.

Some people may have an increased risk for more serious complications from COVID-19 and should take measures to protect themselves.

cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:42am

Wow just stumbled upon this. Almost exactly what i was saying...

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/biggest-fraud-ever-part-1-hocus-science-behind-lockdowns

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:47am

Herman Cain just died.  So what was his cause of death?  A virus, his age, or his stubborn unwillingness to listen?

ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 8:59am

Ok, there is no reason in Hell to change the level.  I had COVID 19 . it almost killed me.  If you get it even a mild case, It is hell on earth. Anyone who says to lower the level needs to have their head examined. 

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:47am

Originally posted by ViQueen24 ViQueen24 wrote:

Herman Cain just died.  So what was his cause of death?  A virus, his age, or his stubborn unwillingness to listen?

Herman Cain's death is being reported as Covid related.

I'd like to go on to say that Cobber lists elderly as 80+.  The WHO reports globally Covid deaths in that age group comprises roughly 22%.  I wouldn't call that the majority of deaths.  Just the highest in any demographic.  

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 10:51am

Originally posted by cobber cobber wrote:

Wow just stumbled upon this. Almost exactly what i was saying...

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/biggest-fraud-ever-part-1-hocus-science-behind-lockdowns

I wouldn't trust a site who's manifesto is to, among other things, "Widen the scope of financial, economic and political information to the investing public."  As good as they might be and financial analysis, I doubt actual science that contradicts their agenda comes into it.  But it's very good to know your priority is your pocketbook rather than lives.  

And just so you know, this 20+ year veteran of Investment Banking and Law predicts a stock market meltdown sometime between November and January when the Fed stops bolstering the stock market under the direction of this administration.  Better run to cash.  Avoid Precious Metal futures.  

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:58pm

Originally posted by ME163 ME163 wrote:

Ok, there is no reason in Hell to change the level.  I had COVID 19 . it almost killed me.  If you get it even a mild case, It is hell on earth. Anyone who says to lower the level needs to have their head examined. 

I'm sorry you were sick, ME, I hope you have recovered fully.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 3:19pm

Now I'm in my 60s....

LMAO

So when you're talking about "the majority" you're think you're talking about someone else.  SURPRISE!!!!

Sorry... I should not post past 8pm my time.  My vision issues are exacerbated because the brain needs sleep!  I got confused between you and Cobber! LOL

And FWIW, Cobber said very elderly... I consider anyone who lives past the average to be in the very elderly category.  I think that's like 82.  But I'm sure AI will correct me.  

LMAO

I was wondering what it was about, I reread it, went back and looked at my previous posts,put it down to what you said, 

I've done that before...lol

I post on my cellphone,

So I can get a bit confused sometimes......

Usually after a few beers!!!!! And a stressful day 😉

Take care all.....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 4:23pm

I believe the average age in the west is

70 for men 

80 for the ladies

I think the ladies cope better at losing a partner.....

It's genetic....they been doing it forever.....

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 4:38pm

Possibly, but I will have the same reaction as Queen Victoria.

No not:  "We are not amused!"  but:  "My life as a happy woman is over."  We may have to endure it, but it is a terrifying prospect.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 3:17am

When my grandad died,

My grandma said her life began........

She travelled far and wide.....

mind she did have 11 kids.....6 girls 5 boys....

The oldest is now 86

And the youngest 68.....

So her life was never her own .......

Popped off at 93

Bright as a button till the end.......

Great Lady miss her.....

Marcus Aurelius
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:52pm

Today's Covid lungs explode story comes from... 

Every media outlet around the world in unison. See links

CNN , 7NEWS , Today , ktla , ctvnews, , dailymail

So this girl Mayra Ramirez had a double lung transplant due to Covid. Her lungs were going to explode. Doctors gave her an emergency transplant. 

You must take Covid seriously is the message. 

Turns out she was immunocompromised and taking immunosuppressants too. She was high risk. The media either failed to mention or gleemed over it.

Here's a more accurate article

Autoimmunewarrior.org

Powderpuff.

kaye kaye View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaye kaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 1:41pm

My husband's ENT doctor told him masks weren't that great.  If your going to wear something wear gloves.  Remember to keep those hands clean!  People leave germs everywhere with the hands.

keep the joy
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 2:04pm

That can be true.  It all depends on what you expect of the mask.

If you want total personal protection, don't go out!  A mask will decrease your contagion risk by around 10%; - and that is if it is a good one correctly worn.

If you want to politely protect others - as all moral people should - at the very least wear a mask, better still stay home.  The mask will offer other people about 90% protection from your germs.

My figures are just estimates, but hopefully give an idea of how it works (sort of).  The overall idea is to reduce the R0.  Individual total protection is almost impossible.

Gloves, goggles, masks and all the other panoply of PPE, vary between 'utterly worthless' and 'greatly reducing your risks' mostly depending on how good your protocols for their use are.  Gloves, if unwashed,  transmit the virus just as well as hands do.  Unbroken skin is already impervious to covid 19.  It enters the body through orifaces (such as eyes, nose or mouth) usually when they are touched with contaminated hands.  Contaminated gloves or masks can both transmit the bug just as well.

kaye kaye View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaye kaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 2:18pm

Here in Ohio you have to wear a mask.  I don't think our Governor followed the rules, he tested positive.  

I heard reports he is now negative ,  I guess we will have to wait for best out of three.  

keep the joy
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 2:54pm

The US has the highest covid figures in the world. But if you work out the per/capita rate, the UK is even worse!

Our PM nearly died of covid19.  He occasionally dons a mask briefly.  Gives you loads of confidence, that does!    

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 4:37pm

Here in Western Australia,

We closed down our borders, locked down, and anyone returning has to spend 2 weeks in hotel quarantine at own expense.....

We have had a few hiccups,but seems to be well undercontrol here,

No cases for 100 days,a few people in quarantine have tested positive ,but no community transmission.....

Everything back to normal no masks, some people choose to wear one, never seen or heard of any abuse here in WA.

Cobber, don't be to cock sure, Adelaide seems to be ramping up ,

Best get ready....matey 😷😉

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic