Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

August Prepping 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August Prepping 2020
    Posted: August 02 2020 at 10:03pm

So what is everyone doing this month? Anyone starting to prepare for winter? We have been doing a lot of work on the house.  My son in law and life partner have been residing our house with cement board instead of wood, all new windows,  new paint and a new metal roof comes next.  We're going to start working on a fall garden.  I'm also practicing this month on living on $900 a month lol. Which technically I can retire in October,  early. If things get really bad over the next few months I will. House and vehicle's are paid for, so thinking I can do it.......we will see.

ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 8:13am

Penham, retiring might be the best prep ever.  If I could retire, I would.

Lots of painting and fixing around here, and am cleaning out the garage and looking into putting container garden with grow lights down there.  That thought is still n its infancy, but I am giving it careful consideration.  If it doesn't work out, clearing out and giving the garage a good cleaning is a great thing even so!

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 2:49pm

We are doing a fall garden outside, but I also just want to grow spinach and lettuce in containers indoors so we can have salads all winter free. So we will see how that works out, we do have an indoor grow tent with lights and everything. 

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 5:43pm

I plant up a garden every Autumn once i've cleared out the beds from the summer crops. Each year successfully grow the following over winter: some hardy lettuces (good until the very hard frosts come), cauliflowers, broccoli, sprouting broccoli, celery, 4 types of kale (I love kale), leeks, mustard greens, parsley (which I grow almost under the biggest brassicas which protect it from the frost). I also have a big crop of broad beans in ready to crop in late spring. It's late winter here now and i can harvest all of the above. I do grow my winter veg in the raised beds only, not in the unraised ones as it gets the veg up and away from the coldest ground level frosts.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 5:46pm

I'm just getting ready for Spring here. I've set my potatoes to chit in the greenhouse, and am sowing early lettuce today. I also have some polystyrene fish crates with holes in the bottom that I grow lettuce in over the winter and keep them on the bench in the greenhouse. I've just planted up a new strawberry bed and i've got all my seeds ready, with a few more arriving this week. 

I'm determined to expand what we grow this year in case food prices go up. I've just got some seeds for growing passionfruit which I'm mad about so I'm hoping to grow a few vines of those this year for the first time.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 1:53pm

So this year, at night, when I am sleeping...something is biting me! I wake up with a bite here or there and  now over my arms and back.
I thought...omg...bedbugs!
Did a major inspection and no that's not it..(thank goodness) besides, how would they have arrived? I haven't traveled or gone anywhere except to the grocery or dr. visits.
Anyways, I did order a complete mattress encased cover for them and dust mites and also for my pillows. That's been done. First night I slept with all encased, nice clean sheets and everything, I woke up with a bite!
I have gone overboard to figure this out.
I took my dog to the vet to get checked for fleas and bugs, nada. He is treated always, but you never know.
I have vacuumed, cleaned, sprayed with alcohol, washed every thing in this house that can be washed.
Set up flea traps, sprayed flea spray on bed and couches and carpets (only bedrooms are carpeted) Washed and steam mopped every floor.
Ordered an indoor bug zapper and then one of those tennis racket things that zaps bugs. Those arrive tomorrow.
Now, I think they are "no-see-ums" and today I found a huge gap in my back patio door that I think they have been flying in at!
Sealed it.
Set up sticky traps on every single window.
Ugh.

Its driving me mad.
I also have an appointment with a dermatologist but first available is end of this month.
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? ANY IDEAS? YOUR EXPERIENCES?

p.s. calling an exterminator is a last resort for me. 1) I hear they will treat your place even if they don't have a clue what is going on and sometimes it doesn't work 2) expensive 3) nasty chemicals. the fleas spray was bad enough.

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 2:40pm

I know this might sound silly... but did you change your fabric softener or laundry detergent recently?

Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by WitchMisspelled WitchMisspelled wrote:

I know this might sound silly... but did you change your fabric softener or laundry detergent recently?

Not silly at all.
I gave that some thought to that before and decided not to use the scented beads I use in the wash, in fact they were a different brand then what I usually use. I am big on my towels smelling fresh. Been doing this for years, so yes, I discarded those and will not use them again, even the ones I am used to.
As far as detergent- I use two kinds...so whichever is on sale.
And as far as fabric softener...its the same as usual. That's one reason I booked to see the derm, so he/she can tell me what they think. I am sure they have an eye for every rash/ spot out there. I have tried to compare to photos on the net, always come up with mosquito, bed bug, fleas or chicken pox (ha ha)

'A man who does not think and plan long ahead will find trouble right at his door.'
--Confucius

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 4:00pm

Another thing you might consider is not washing off sun block before you go to bed.  I know if I leave it on I look like I have prickly heat!

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 4:05pm

I have a mosquito net over our bed from late spring until late Autumn. Mosquitos love me. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic